Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

My recollection of that match was Beasant up front, them fielding 12 players, their fans invading the pitch and chucking anything, especially copper coins. I don't recall being kept back because leaving us in there we were just sitting ducks - but I do recall having to run around Fratton and hide behind a wall at one point just to get back to my car.

We were kept behind for over 40 minutes at least.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Didn't realise Wimbledon had missed a penalty and had a goal disallowed as well :lol:

Only just seen the goals from their heroic JPT defeat, the first one's a belter

Cheers for that Steve, I hadn't seen them either, goals from God's Count®y. Why they felt the need to change their socks from red against Amber, who knows? Washington who scored the first is a regular starter, but County have 3 injured strikers at the moment anyway - I didn't even recognise the second scorer as Newport just got him on loan from some other south walian side, didn't think Pipe's sliding tackle was even a foul at first look (he's a reserve now too), and yeah, handball, Skate. :)

We were kept behind for over 40 minutes at least.

I don't remember Beasant doing stand up either, so my recall is sketchy at best, though we were car-sharing with a Skate on my University course, so maybe we blagged our way out or something - I shall ask the mate I know was definitely there.

I remember being kept in after the two Prem matches very well...

Edited by The9

Am I reading thus right, the ****ing idiot traced these footballers, they then gave up their valuable time to let him photograph them and then he went and chucked it in the sea because he was "married and grown up". FFS, it would have served him right if his sister divorced him for wasting everybodies time. What a plank. Although its pretty sad, I just about get the tracing of the player, but what's the point if you're going to check it all away.

Now he's going to write a book about it, **** me I bet that's going to be an exciting read.

Am I reading thus right, the ****ing idiot traced these footballers, they then gave up their valuable time to let him photograph them and then he went and chucked it in the sea because he was "married and grown up". FFS, it would have served him right if his sister divorced him for wasting everybodies time. What a plank. Although its pretty sad, I just about get the tracing of the player, but what's the point if you're going to check it all away.

Now he's going to write a book about it, **** me I bet that's going to be an exciting read.

Already written. He is doing these interviews as part of the promotional tour.

Reading between the lines this silly sod completed the Saints section too.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Stickers-Journey-Complete-Sticker/dp/1908051825/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384909585&sr=8-1&keywords=adam+carroll-smith

Already written. He is doing these interviews as part of the promotional tour.

Reading between the lines this silly sod completed the Saints section too.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Stickers-Journey-Complete-Sticker/dp/1908051825/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384909585&sr=8-1&keywords=adam+carroll-smith

**** me, why didn't he just write to panini or put a request on a few fans forums. Our bloke who collected all the autographs deserve a book more than this clown, and he didn't spend time and money getting the autographs before chucking them away. Call me pedantic, but how is it complete, its not the ****ing original photos. I could print a Google image of all the players and stick them in my nippers album, he'll have a complete album to chuck into Poole quay and it'll save me money.

I like the blurb with the book "a tale of adventure and obsession" perhaps rally could write one about this thread, it'll be a bit more interesting than "bloke gets 6 pictures of ex footballers".

Let's file that one under "let's get upset about this because there is the tiniest connection to Portsmouth", then.

As far as Dave Gorman style quest books go, it sounds like a nice concept. The cultural history of the football sticker book is a rich enough seam to mine.

If he was a Grimsby fan I suggest there would be slightly less outrage on here.

There's no outrage here, you hysterical old woman. :lol:

There's no hysterics from me mush. Lord D "He doesn't deserve a book as much as our autograph people" Waaah.

He's written a book, not been given one.

The old women are the berks desperately scouring the internet for anything vaguely connected to Pompey to get upset about.

LOL.

Edited by CB Fry

And all in single sentence paragraphs. An epic akin to the War & Peace Tome. :rolleyes:

I don't remember Beasant doing stand up either, so my recall is sketchy at best, though we were car-sharing with a Skate on my University course, so maybe we blagged our way out or something - I shall ask the mate I know was definitely there.

I remember being kept in after the two Prem matches very well...

We were definitely kept back a while, that's why Beasant came out and told us all jokes. Was dodgy afterwards, police lined the street for about 50 yards then there was none and it was just a free for all. I remember a big bunch of skates jumping out and steaming us from behind a petrol station.

Let's file that one under "let's get upset about this because there is the tiniest connection to Portsmouth", then.

As far as Dave Gorman style quest books go, it sounds like a nice concept. The cultural history of the football sticker book is a rich enough seam to mine.

You must admit, tracking down missing players, travelling to Belgium etc to get a photo; then throwing it in the sea, is a bit odd whoever you support.

I'm sure it will be a thoroughly delightful tome. It must be riveting stuff, describing the catching of the 9.35 to Manchester to take a photo of a solicitor (along with crossroad moments like choosing between the ham or cheese sandwich from the buffet trolley) or taking the pony and trap on the cross-channel to Belgium to take another photo of a man working at a fruit and veg stall. And the climatic end as the pony and trap makes it's way down the 275, its driver wiping a tear away from his eye as he realises a dream that his quest is finally over.

Meanwhile, during the 2 months spent on this crusade, his missus has shacked up with the rag-and-bone man and that's why he slings the sticker album into the briny. Well, that's what i am expecting, but it's sure to be on my christmas list.

" a nice concept" ? it sounds as boring as your posts.

I would suggest a sticker album from 1996 is hardly a historical rich seam to mine. Its not exactly football timeteam territory. If it was a Grimsby fan I'd think he was a sadsack, as it is I think he's a skate sad sack. Particularly in light of chucking the thing in the sea.

" a nice concept" ? it sounds as boring as your posts.

I would suggest a sticker album from 1996 is hardly a historical rich seam to mine. Its not exactly football timeteam territory. If it was a Grimsby fan I'd think he was a sadsack, as it is I think he's a skate sad sack. Particularly in light of chucking the thing in the sea.

Got to say that is a riveting post from you. Well done, as always.

I think you are not familiar with the "crazy quest" non fiction genre pioneered by the likes of Gorman, Hawks and Wallace. Can't say I am a massive fan but at I get the concept.

But I am thoroughly enjoying your high court judge-style "well why didn't he just look in yellow pages" literal approach to it all.

But yeah, I'm boring. Hats off.

Their U18s scraped through 1-0 against Barton Rovers in the FA Youth Cup (I'm sure it was their cup final as well), setting up El clasicoast juventud at St Mary's. This should be fun :o

I hope we parachute JWP, Shaw and Chambers in for this fixture.

I think the first team are still training at fratton park as they are a basket case who cant afford sub-council standard pitches, unless #factless can set the record straight?

I wonder where the skate academy trains, the soon to be Tescos land?

I'm sure it will be a thoroughly delightful tome. It must be riveting stuff, describing the catching of the 9.35 to Manchester to take a photo of a solicitor (along with crossroad moments like choosing between the ham or cheese sandwich from the buffet trolley) or taking the pony and trap on the cross-channel to Belgium to take another photo of a man working at a fruit and veg stall. And the climatic end as the pony and trap makes it's way down the 275, its driver wiping a tear away from his eye as he realises a dream that his quest is finally over.

Meanwhile, during the 2 months spent on this crusade, his missus has shacked up with the rag-and-bone man and that's why he slings the sticker album into the briny. Well, that's what i am expecting, but it's sure to be on my christmas list.

Absolutely superb, your summary will be better than the tome IMO.

How come this 19 year old can cope with the rigours of playing in League 2 when all their home grown ones can't...?

Excellent question, likely never to be answered.

Pompey fans creaming themselves over getting a player that is way too good for the league they are in. Deja vu all over again anyone?

8969288f4245120e7c3870287cce0ff3_normal.jpegRichard Brook@rbrook3936m

@pn_neil_allen been reliably informed by a #whu season ticket holder friend that Potts is a great signing, championship level, well done GW

b96a03e6360c766c8fd54ab06bf70515_normal.jpegNeil Allen@pn_neil_allen

Lots of encouraging views from West Ham fans over imminent loan signing of Dan Potts for #Pompey. Has made 11 appearances for Hammers

And according to Wikipedia he's only made 5 appearances for West Ham. I'm sure Wikipedia is wrong and Mr Allen is factually correct as ever though....

Edited by trousers

More importantly Trousers, how **** must he be that being loaned to a club in the bottom half of the basement division would be seen as beneficial to him?

It's probably a punishment. "Look son, you've got some ability, but if you don't pull your finger out that's the sort of place you'll end up at"..

He's not going for the coaching, training facilities or standard of football so I reckon my theory is a reasonable one.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/new-left-back-poised-for-pompey-switch-1-5693622

The son of former West Ham defender, Steve, he is an England under-20 international and spent part of last season on loan at Colchester.

At the Weston Homes Community Stadium he made five appearances, before being recalled by the Hammers in January and thrust into their first team.

Potts played against Manchester United in the FA Cup last term, as well as featuring against both Sunderland and Arsenal in the Premier League.

Yet, during the current campaign, his sole appearance came in a 2-0 Capital One Cup victory at Burnley last month.

Pompey’s board gave Whittingham the go-ahead to strengthen his squad following Monday night’s special meeting – in the aftermath of the AFC Wimbledon debacle.

With John Marquis having returned to Millwall at the end of his two-month loan, finances have been juggled :mcinnes: to allow the Blues boss to make another signing.

huge.7.38564.JPG

Edited by trousers

Facepalm alert....

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/pompey-sign-potts-1185240.aspx

Potts is excited about the opportunity of turning out in front of a packed Fratton Park.

He said: “I was told about Pompey’s interest yesterday, so I grabbed my gear and came straight down here.

“Despite the division they now find themselves in, they are still regarded as a massive club.

“The thought of playing at Fratton Park before the sort of crowds that come to Pompey is a really exciting prospect.

:mcinnes:

That's odd because I'm sure Avram Grant claimed that West Ham had the bestest fans when he left fatpipes following his excellent stint guiding the plucky blue troops faraway from bigboy football.

Presumably the gates at Upton Park must have dropped off a bit since Potts was ripping up the Premier League and Avram was working his magic.

He wouldn't have let pompey sink like they have.

Rather than wasting money on journeymen, I'm sure Avram would have splashed out on youth.

That's him.

Guess you can take the skate out of skatemouth, but not skatemouth out of the skate. People were questioning how the FSA sanctioned him to run the bank and I'd echo that, its one thing being a Methodist minister with hardly any banking expertise, but being a skate should have rung alarm bells.

Born P*mpey, but was a Methodist Minister in Hedge End. Prosecuted for propositioning men in the Gents and then moved up north.

We were in the same year at Barton Peveril in the 60's.

Pompey fans creaming themselves over getting a player that is way too good for the league they are in. Deja vu all over again anyone?

@pn_neil_allen been reliably informed by a #whu season ticket holder friend that Potts is a great signing, championship level, well done GW

Lots of encouraging views from West Ham fans over imminent loan signing of Dan Potts for #Pompey. Has made 11 appearances for Hammers

And according to Wikipedia he's only made 5 appearances for West Ham. I'm sure Wikipedia is wrong and Mr Allen is factually correct as ever though....

Sorry Trousers, I just checked Soccerbase and he has 5 league appearances for WHU (4 starts) plus 3 FA Cup and 3 League Cup. So, unfortunately, we have to give Factless this one. However..........................

What is very amusing is his loan stint at Colchester last season. Between 22 Nov and 03 Jan he played 5 times for them. These are their results for those matches:

MK Dons 5-1 Colchester

Colchester 0-2 Oldham

Bompey 1-0 Colchester

Colchester 1-3 Brentford (Potts picked up a booking)

Crawley 3-0 Colchester

Yep, they lost all 5 of those matches conceding 14 goals and scoring only 2.

Let's hope he has the same impact for the Phew.

Sorry Trousers, I just checked Soccerbase and he has 5 league appearances for WHU (4 starts) plus 3 FA Cup and 3 League Cup. So, unfortunately, we have to give Factless this one.

To be fair, Trousers did state he had played five, whereas #factless stated very publicly that he had played 11.

Can we give this one back to Trousers?

That's odd because I'm sure Avram Grant claimed that West Ham had the bestest fans when he left fatpipes following his excellent stint guiding the plucky blue troops faraway from bigboy football.

Presumably the gates at Upton Park must have dropped off a bit since Potts was ripping up the Premier League and Avram was working his magic.

He wouldn't have let pompey sink like they have.

Rather than wasting money on journeymen, I'm sure Avram would have splashed out on youth.

The good people of Horton Heath can testify that he 'splashed out' on someone, at any rate.

pompey stars pledge to put an end to hollow promises spun through local media to satisfy the easily-led.

player A has issued a rallying call to the faithful saying 'we need to cut out these tired old quotes spun through templates'.

The former ---- hitman is predictably standing firm behind underfire manager ----- claiming that the players will turn it round.

'The lads were gutted with the defeat at -----, especially after we had dominated the first -- minutes, so we had strong words to make sure it never happens again, there are characters in the dressing room, and we all know we need to stand up'

player A went on to praise the travelling blue army for backing the team in testing circumstances.

Despite the weather and distance and the clash with a one hour Emmerdale special, -- fans made the journey.

'Even though we lost and played appallingly, the fans never gave up, even after ---- was sent off, and with a bit of luck we might have nicked something for them at the death'.

Despite the X-0 defeat, there is still a lively spirit in the dressing room, as demonstrated by the recent arrest of out-of-favour utility player ----- on suspicion of ----- in Southsea.

That won't stop the mighty blue army packing the park to the rafters for the upcoming visit of minnows ----.

But skipper ---- issued a warning to those fans who think the game against ---- will be a pushover.

'Even though they are a tiny club compared with us, ---- will be organised, and playing in such a great arena will bring out the best in them.'

'I'm not saying it is their cup final, but it is the sort of game they would expect after seven or eight ties drawn out of a velvet bag and immediately preceded by a semi-final'.

While visitors ---- are on a good run compared with pompey, captain fantastic is also keen to utilise the best 12th man in world football.

'The support at ---- was amazing, and we want to repay that faith with a win against ---- on ----'.

When asked about the calls for change, the plucky journeyman said 'it is up to us to show that we won't be cajoled into dull and pointless quotes anymore', adding 'the gaffer will be looking for a response, we just need belief, we need to turn fatpipes into a fortress!'

Manager ----'s battling troops did have a boost this week when it was confirmed that the tactical change from machine gun paragraphs had been an overwhelming success.

'Indeed it has been'.

Said a spokesman.

Reflecting on the changes.

With a big home test to come.

:adore: :adore: :adore:

It's funny cause it's true! No, it's really, really sad cause it's true... Maybe a bit of both?

Well IF he is that good then why isn't he going on loan to a Championship club? I mean he has just had a very successful loan spell at that hot bed of football Colchester!!

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})