Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I'd forgotten about their last great European adventure!

Am I right in thinking that they failed to pay the entry fees or something like that and lost the place as a result?

I remember AA assuring everyone that he would put FIFA, UEFA and whoever else in their place and get that overturned.

But didn't.

They were prevented from entering the competition as FA Cup Final losers because they failed the UEFA financial entry criteria, what with being in admin and having parachute payments directed straight to their players even when they were still in the Prem and all. But they did also forget to apply in the first place.

It's all on this thread... somewhere. :D

Or failing that... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8558580.stm

Portsmouth will not be allowed to play in next season's Europa League after a joint decision by the Football Association and Premier League.

The cash-strapped club had appealed to the FA asking for a Uefa licence to compete in Europe - despite missing the deadline for applications.

Portsmouth would have qualified for the competition if they were to beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final on 15 May.

The team finishing seventh in the Premier League will now qualify.

Pompey, facing debts of £119m, were not in a position to file their accounts in time because the club is in administration - a criterion for a Uefa club licence.

Uefa delegates its licensing scheme to national associations, leaving the FA to decide whether Portsmouth could prove to Uefa that the business was solvent by 31 May.

However, after deliberating with the Premier League, English football's governing body opted against endorsing Portsmouth's application.

"The FA and Premier League have confirmed to the administrators of Portsmouth Football Club that they shall not consider any late application for granting of a Uefa Club Licence for the 2010-11 season," read a joint statement.

The main issues were there should be no late payments outstanding to other clubs, or to staff and players.

Already relegated from the Premier League, Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou believes the ruling is unfair on the club's long-suffering supporters.

I'll leave you to take the rise out of the remaining Andronikou quotes on the article, but it's nice to know that they were claming they were "long-suffering" before they even kicked a ball in THAT SEASON'S FA CUP FINAL, FFS. :mcinnes:

Edited by The9

Interesting story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34019997

This is what real fans do. They don't expect HNW individuals to dip into their pockets to outstrip the rest of the division in terms of players' wages and fund a desperate promotion drive.

I don't think Pompey are doing that - they have gate receipts dwarfing the rest of the division and I'm not sure the HNWs have that much of a pot to pi ss in anyway. They might be gambling a bit but I don't see them being bankrolled.

PS. You do realise your last sentence could easily describe the strategy of Southampton Football Club to get out of League One, right?

There is a small difference between a club receiving massive investment from a new billionaire owner and what the gamble those clowns are making down the road.

They are betting big this season and despite the gate receipts (which I personally don't think are that great) they need to go up because there's nothing left in the piggy bank. They need.huge investments on the ground alone let alone anything else.

There is a small difference between a club receiving massive investment from a new billionaire owner and what the gamble those clowns are making down the road.

They are betting big this season and despite the gate receipts (which I personally don't think are that great) they need to go up because there's nothing left in the piggy bank. They need.huge investments on the ground alone let alone anything else.

They aren't asking HNW individuals to dip into their pockets. They've got enough turnover to gamble on promotion.

The "small difference" is what? I'd say one club was clearly bankrolled out of a division and the other is Pompey.

Edited by CB Fry

You can get three season tickets at fatpipes, total cost £400.

Their gates are dwarfing others, their matchday income is clearly not.

And I would see a difference between a billionaire gambling on promotion against a charity consortium that includes smalltime property developers who get the bucket out if they need a fence.

They aren't asking HNW individuals to dip into their pockets. They've got enough turnover to gamble on promotion.

The "small difference" is what? I'd say one club was clearly bankrolled out of a division and the other is Pompey.

What's the downside of the gamble? I reckon they'll be properly stuffed if they don't get promotion this season. The ground won't last much longer as it is - it needs huge investment to be brought up to standard. Bit of a catch 22 for them really -they need the money of a higher league but they also need to comply with the h&s standards of each league they are in.

I'm willing to bet that failure to move up this season will be really quite bad for them long term.

They should do it with the squad they have, however 'should' doesn't mean 'will'.

And I agree that Saints got bankrolled out of league one.

But then the situation was very different - Markus was buying a club which had premier league standard infrastructure in place already. The only thing he needed to spend on was the squad really so it was easy for us to move up.

The situation down the road is very different - every single aspect of the club needs significant investment (some of it very urgently)

Morecambe players are playing the match of their lives and the ref can't cope with the pressure.

If anything, Pompey have been too good.

This is a timely reminder of how much harder it is for Pompey than everyone else.

Or something like that.

I had to laugh when I saw they were 3-0 down, even though it was bloody obvious they'd stage some sort of comeback.

Ask any of them if they'd have been happy with a point at home to Morecambe at the start of the match. :D

Also, there's not a great deal between anyone in this league, bottom but one no wins this season Newport only lost by 1 of 5 goals against 4 in 4 winners Orient (who are now 4 points ahead of Portsmouth after 4 matches, btw).

Just had a gander on POL. Seems like Nick Illingsworth has upset them quite a bit :lol:

Here is the quote in question

Pompey fans all seem to consider that they have a god given right to be a big club, they think the rest of the world sees them this way, loads of them want the trust to step aside so a big investor can step in, thy have forgotten just what got them in the mess in the first place, such is their desperation

And the responses

for me he can stick his "wealthy investors" where the sun don't shine

The current structure seems to be heading the club in the right direction both on AND off the pitch for the time being. I don't recall such progression coupled together in over 40 years as Pompey fan.

anyone who has half a business brain will know not to mess with us after we hounded out an entire turf war from our club.

If any investor were to sit at our table, they would need to dance to our tune

Something the scammers would do well to remember when they crow about Liebherr. They're one sell away from a Vincent Tan

When you look at the amount of clubs who've built new stadiums or redeveloped their existing ones it's almost unbelievable that a club of Pompey's size and potential is still lumbered with an antiquated ground like FP. A decent season pushing for promotion and we'll be seeing attendances of roughly 20K in the fourth division - that's mighty impressive and demonstrates the potential fan base of the club. If we can get 20K in the bottom tier what's the potential if we got back to the PL with a decent owner and a new stadium with such an affluent catchment area?

I wouldn't swap us for Everton, Stoke , villa, soon to be scum or any other mediocre also ran premiership team

The level of insecurity and obsessiveness on the Pompey Takeover Saga thread is mind blowing

Some of the posts on there RE Tesco's are hilarious , and the amazing thing is they all seem to believe each other, a shrink would have a field day.

What a load of unmitigated pretentious, arrogant, presumptuous, overweening ponyfiddling manure.

No wonder they're the most disliked fans in the country.

Meanwhile, the Portsmyths about us just keep on coming

Really hope they get through in Europe. Feel dirty saying that but all those extra games would really affect their season.

A scummer mate reckons Koeman looks like a broken man and thinks he'll walk after seeing so many players sold and replaced on the cheap. I was very supportive obviously

And there was us being told they'd become a European power house.... Asset stripping, anyone?]

I hear someone is chartering one of those flying banner planes to fly over St Fairies on Nov 1st with "You've never won fook all, Play up Pompey" on it.

I think quite a few other football clubs call them scummers now due to our widespread influence on the beautiful game

:mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

Speaking to a colleague the other day. He's a Derby fan who has rarely been south on the Themes. His exact words were "It's annoying we lost in the cup to a lower division side but even more annoying to lose to them. For some reason their fans have been all over our forum telling us all how huge their club is. Why do they hold theirselves in such high regard?"

I didn't have time to explain.

That last comment 'I think quite a few other football clubs call them scummers now due to our widespread influence on the beautiful game' is possibly the most ignorant, deluded thing I've ever read :lol: :lol: :lol: I cannot believe the Skates actually believe all this nonsense, it's like the musings of a 10 year old on the school playground to his mates.

Bournemouth calling us Scummers (as they have done for a while) translates to = 'quite a few football clubs' in Skate land :lol:

And, apparently we're one of the most disliked teams in the country.... http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/manchester-united-top-premier-league-list-most-hated-club :mcinnes: :lol:

You could not make this **** up, it is genuinely hilarious to see (presumably) grown men and women(?) frothing at the mouth, getting angry and making up statements a school child would say.

I feel dirty as bet on those wnkers to win yesterday day.

'Affluent catchment area' ? queues to Ralph Lauren shop so the Portsmouth chavs can get their lovely big polo logo is a true indication of this. Class - like spotting one of this well off fellas with a Burberry baseball cap.

This delusion is the equivalent of Bucks Fizz claiming to be the biggest band in the world today and demanding to know why they aren't being offered international stadium gigs and headlining slots at Glastonbury.

Everyone loves plucky pompey, and everyone hates scummahs.

In reality - everyone has forgotten about pompey, they love Bournemouth as the media darlings of the month and many like us for our feel-good factor return from League One, our development of players and the way we go about things off the pitch - and the fact that we (try!) to play football the correct way.

But if you say it enough times a portsmyth becomes true.

The only positive is that it's deluded fantasy statements like those above that fuel this thread.

If they just zipped it and accepted that they are no longer relevant and that football doesn't even care where they are, this thread would gently cease.

So affluent that the government felt it necessary to appoint a minister to try and sort out the huge problems they have down there.

Yet again I find myself astounded at the delusion levels of your average skate.

Having worked down there for the last 5 years, and it's on the road so I see a fair bit of the city, it is far from affluent. Every city has it's nice and s**t bits. They just have far more s**t bits.

I used to have to work down there as well. I tend to try to think the best of places before I go there however I rapidly had my attitude adjusted by the people I met down there. There were some nice people but the overwhelming majority were just f*ckwits and ar$eholes with a massive chip on their shoulder who thought the world owed them a living

I love corpse ho!

He's pretty much become a parody of a nutjob parodying a skate fan.

Did I miss the bit where they 'ousted an entire turf war' from their club? Not even sure which administration they are referring to!

I think he was referring to the dodgy bunch that re-laid their pitch last year.

I like the bit where Ho comes out with the old line ,'we get 20k in L2 and so with a bigger ground we would easily fill it.well they crowds were not there when I heard all that madam in the 80s( ?) when Bally got them promotion. They also didn't fill their ground when they were in the PL . We all think our clubs are important but Pompey has grown through their few years of success, when they were swimming around the depths for decades they were getting pretty low crowds.

I like the bit where Ho comes out with the old line ,'we get 20k in L2 and so with a bigger ground we would easily fill it.well they crowds were not there when I heard all that madam in the 80s( ?) when Bally got them promotion. They also didn't fill their ground when they were in the PL . We all think our clubs are important but Pompey has grown through their few years of success, when they were swimming around the depths for decades they were getting pretty low crowds.

I think the 'business model' is that the more of the wreck that gets condemned then the easier is to 'fill'.....:mcinnes:

And they never got close filling their ground when they won the two League titles just after WW2

Average of 37,000 in a 50,000+ capacity stadium with a load of sailors in town and a fair amount of Saints fans travelling down (no suggestion of the SCUM union story then of course!!)

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})