Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

They're only getting 15,000+ crowds at the moment 'cos of their relative success. That's them all over, delusional glory hunters. They were struggling to get 12,000 with their innovative "Pack The Pack" scheme in the Championship when they down the bottom, so it's got nothing to do with how big they are, more to do with a load of fanboys wanting to jump on the... ahem, League Two success bandwagon. (:lol:)

Edited by Crab Lungs

They're only getting 15,000+ crowds at the moment 'cos of their relative success. That's them all over, delusional glory hunters. They were struggling to get 12,000 with their innovative "Pack The Pack" scheme in the Championship when they down the bottom, so it's got nothing to do with how big they are, more to do with a load of fanboys wanting to jump on the... ahem, League Two success bandwagon. (:lol:)

I s**t you not, 2 of my skate mates genuinely said this to me yesterday.

"I might start going down there again now they're winning". They haven't been to a game since the 2-2 victory at SMS.

They are self confessed fair weather fans though. And quite openly admit they're gobby when things are going their way.

They're typical skates in the way they 'banter' ("won the league twice" blah blah blah) but are decent enough to admit they're actually s**t fair weather fans.

As usual the obsessive and jealous Nutjobs only look for the negatives! :x

You see a small damp patch, the rest of us see a beautiful, Championship-ready, fan-owned fence.

Havent been on this thread for a while. Good to see Rallyboy is as readable as always!

Personally I want them to sit in safe mid-table obscurity for years to come yet .... No promotion near misses or plucky relegation escapes. No exciting cup defeats against Saints or other big teams ... Just boring nothingness as their support gradually fades away, and the 'floating voters' and the new-to-the-game kids move to watching us or Brighton, or even Havant.

I'll be surprised if they beat 8,000 for the next round.

While the big crowd last night proved too much for the visitors who clearly cracked under pressure in the hostile cauldron of passion at the fortress, there was an unsavoury issue that Reading are politely playing down.

Some of the more special supporters in the South Stand were reported to the ref last night for targeting specific opposition players with language that's normally the preserve of the hip hop community.

Presumably just a handful, but no normal club in 2015 should have anyone doing that.

I'll be surprised if they beat 8,000 for the next round.

While the big crowd last night proved too much for the visitors who clearly cracked under pressure in the hostile cauldron of passion at the fortress, there was an unsavoury issue that Reading are politely playing down.

Some of the more special supporters in the South Stand were reported to the ref last night for targeting specific opposition players with language that's normally the preserve of the hip hop community.

Presumably just a handful, but no normal club in 2015 should have anyone doing that.

Not surprising considering most of them live in the past so having an archaic attitude makes perfect sense.

Re Comparative Attendances

Since both clubs entered the Football League in 1920/1, Saints have had a higher average home gate on 54 of the 88 seasons

Our lowest average crowd was 9,064 in 1932/3 whereas Pompey recorded a figure of 8,269 in 1994/5 but seasonally adjusted this converts to 37,082 which coincides with their best ever average in season 1948/9 (note this was in a ground with a capacity of 52,000!!)

Note also that in the 88 years of this comparison, Pompey had a larger capacity stadium for 74 years

In more recent times ie since both clubs ended up in the same division in 1960/1 (ie a period of 55 seasons) Saints have recorded higher home league attendances for 52 seasons!!!!!

Oh and the tickets for the Reading game ranged from £2 to £10 - a fair incentive

http://www.premierleague.com/content/premierleague/en-gb/matchday/matches/2012-2013/epl.match-report.html/southampton-vs-reading

Last time that we played Reading (see above) attendance 29,331

I realise that it is not remotely comparable but hey ho, why should we care if they don't ??

:)

Fair point, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander [emoji106]

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Looks like the fa are investigating The Bestest for racially abusing a Reading player. Boos and monkey noises.

Thats hould end the lowest attendance debate when they are forced to play a match behind closed doors.

Should also hurt their finances with the fine and then re-imbursing the fans who paid for tickets.

Nope.

Those extra spaces are to accommodate the specially selected match officials who will be able to cope with the passion and noise of the cup final...

Really? I would have thought there would have been an argument for needing the space for all those extra fingers and toes, but have it your way.

Thats hould end the lowest attendance debate when they are forced to play a match behind closed doors.

Should also hurt their finances with the fine and then re-imbursing the fans who paid for tickets.

Tbh, it just reflects their Neanderthal attitude. I personally think that ANY club (including my beloved Saints) no matter where they are on the football pyramid should be deducted points for inexcusable fan behaviour.

**** me, the attendance debate was settled years ago when we were two leagues below them and still averaging more. Above them in a smaller ground - averaged more, below them in a bigger ground - averaged more, we always average more.

Their big crowds and success is all ancient history from a time when a bunch of amateurs booted a cow skin around a field watched by as many men in flat caps who could fit into any ground in the country, a time when Charlton Athletic got crowds of 75k plus. It's all irrelivant.

Fact is look at the last 50 years and they are just a small lower league club, up for a season in the 80s then a brief spell paid for by the gun runner. 8 years total at the highest level, most of those cheating. In the same time we've only had 11 seasons out of the top flight.

I'll just cut and paste this every six months for the benefit of the persistent few who refuse to accept facts -

the attendance debate is over, we won - on all counts.

The End.

As for being the most passionatestic and having the most plucktitude, the jury is still out, but it's not looking good.

The likes of Palace and Stoke have upped their games and left the struggling 4th tier minnows behind.

Not to mention the £13 million matchday spend in the town ?

:):)

I see they've already gently downgraded the problem from a section of the crowd in the family section to a lone offender.

Nicely done!

You'd have thought that one renegade idiot could have been picked out by the astonished crowd quite easily, I wonder why they weren't?

Ten years ago a father and son were arrested at Fatpipes for racially-abusing their own keeper, during a home win.

While many clubs and fans have changed, pompey seem to have retained an unsavoury element that wishes it was still 1970 - and what really sets them apart is they want everyone to know.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})