Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Don't know if this has been posted already, changing the subject somewhat, Terry the builder has gone into administration apparently.

He's obviously seen what an easy gig it is. Where is he planning on taking a winter break?

On the subject of loan players, I thought five was the limit.

I guess he'll have Ciftci to look after now he has told them he is off in the summer and Cotterill has sent him to coventry. judas **** cranie springs to mind.

jeez, so more players to leave at the end of the season. so potentially that's a new eleven:

Halford (loan)

Hogg (loan)

De laet (loan)

Sonko (loan)

Dickinson (loan)

Cifti

Utaka

Brown

Hughes

Nugent

Kanu

Don't forget the Poll in the bottom right corner.

What should Steve Cotterill do to rectify Pompey’s leaky defence?

39% The Mokoena - Rocha partnership is the way forward

16% Bring Hreidarsson into the side

20% Leaving Sonko on the bench would be a good start

25% Sign a new central defender

Proud to be one of the 25%!

Let's hope that the FA get to know about this extra loanee on the pitch though!

26% now;)

26% now;)

I think I have got it up to 38% now.

What should Steve Cotterill do to rectify Pompey’s leaky defence?

32% The Mokoena - Rocha partnership is the way forward

12% Bring Hreidarsson into the side

18% Leaving Sonko on the bench would be a good start

38% Sign a new central defender

With regard to the rules about loans.

From memory a few years ago it was 5 loans in squad but only 4 on the pitch at any time.

This was changes a couple of years ago to allow all 5 on the pitch after one team brought a 5th on in the 89 min or something when they were 4-0 up or something. They argued that it should not be up to a manager or coach to make "admin decisions" in the "heat of a match". Therefore I think the rule was changed a couple of years ago.

The fans seem worried that a points penalty could be on its way after fielding 5 loan players on the pitch at the same time last night :

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Blues-hope-trip-away-can.6702477.jp

In 2009 it was 5 loans so they should be OK. Only 4 loans from 1 club though

Standard loans can be for half a season or a full season. These can only be done during the two transfer windows (i.e. by the end of today or in January 2010).

Emergency loans can be done outside of the transfer window, but not after the fourth Thursday in November or March.

A club can have a maximum of four players under 23 and a further four over 23 on standard loan during the season. There is no limit on Emergency Loans.

However, only four players maximum can join one club from another during the season.

A maximum of five loan players can be named on a team sheet.

Not found if the rules are the same now or not but dont think there was a change unfortunatly.

http://www.lowtax.net/asp/story/front/HMRC_Faces_Football_Creditors_Rule_Challenge____47382.html

The UK tax man, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) faces a challenge from the Premier League over changes to the controversial ‘football creditors’ rule,’ which the tax man argues short-changes the public purse when professional clubs go into administration.

Under the football creditors' rule, indebted football clubs that leave administration must pay money owed to other teams in transfer fees and player wages, along with debt repayments to secured creditors ahead of non-football related unsecured creditors, such as HMRC in respect of outstanding tax debts.

HMRC is appealing the rule, which it says often leaves the public purse just 20% of tax due, as was the case recently with football club Portsmouth, which paid just GBP4.8m on a tax bill of GBP24m.

HMRC argues that there is no justification for the Premier League's rule, which is not a part of UK bankruptcy legislation. A successful challenge to the rule by HMRC could also apply to England's three lower professional football divisions.

A petition on behalf of Premier League football clubs has been lodged with the High Court to halt HMRC's challenge to the rule. A two-day hearing is scheduled to commence on February 15. The litigation is expected to spur HMRC's push for greater transparency of clubs’ tax debts on a quarterly basis, which will increase scrutiny on clubs that fail to pay their tax dues in a timely manner.

I'm still not sure about Cotterill's definition of 'quality'.

Another defeat at QPR and Chanrai's dream of an immediate return is dead in the water, then he's onto plan B, and I bet it doesn't involve big investment.

The business don't look too pretty for a new owner right now either.

But they are a good barometer of the world economy, there is every indication that we are heading for a double dip.

If that's the case we are heading for a Great Depression.

Erm.......Cotterill has taken them on holiday?! A training camp abroad in a warmer climate?

So how do the defrauded creditors feel about that one?

With Chinnys's promotion gamble all but ruined, and him now probably eyeing flogging everyone worth anything, it looks like a desperate attempt by Stevie-boy to avoid this by taking his boys into hiding until the window closes. Either that, or there is a contract out on him.

Lampitt had a look at your list and made a few calls - Chanrai says your sixsome is off but he can finance you in a mud-wrestle with Jo Brand and Vanessa Feltz.

Low tide in Port Solent should be just enough mud but get them out before they start affecting the tides with their own gravitational pull.

I think where young Clampitt went wrong was asking his Uncle Peter advice and mistaking quality for expensive.....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Lampitt-Too-early-to-decide.6703367.jp

Still, at least his honesty/naivety in bringing the quality/quantity question into the open has at least stoppede the whinging few and Cotterill from bleating on ALL the time about how unfair it all is on their little squad.

I think where young Clampitt went wrong was asking his Uncle Peter advice and mistaking quality for expensive.....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Lampitt-Too-early-to-decide.6703367.jp

Still, at least his honesty/naivety in bringing the quality/quantity question into the open has at least stoppede the whinging few and Cotterill from bleating on ALL the time about how unfair it all is on their little squad.

lol that article is in a marvellously round-a-bout way telling Cotterill to STFU...

Lampitt in link

The Blues chief executive agreed the plan of working with a smaller squad with better players – rather than a larger squad with less expensive salaries – with boss Steve Cotterill before the start of the campaign.

So SC signed up to the plan hahahaha

And then moans about it every week.

One big change in attitude there then - someone at Poopey finally having to take responsibility for the past decisions they made.

lol that article is in a marvellously round-a-bout way telling Cotterill to STFU...

So SC signed up to the plan hahahaha

And then moans about it every week.

One big change in attitude there then - someone at Poopey finally having to take responsibility for the past decisions they made.

Not sure which bit you were reading, but I don't see anyone taking any responsibility for decisions made.

I see Lampitt saying, wait until the end of the season, and the we'll see - basically if they stay up, he'll claim all the credit, if relegated, he'll probably blame SC for not performing with the bestest team in the league.

Meanwhile, SC is distancing himself from the policy in a 'not my fault guv' kind of way, thus pretending he is a really good manager, just lacking in resources.

Surely it's a mistake to admit that the quality over quantity policy was a deliberate gamble, better to pretend it was forced upon them?

Especially when it is in reality an overpaid journeymen over quantity policy, and it looked deeply flawed on day one.

Lampitt and Cotterill's heads are on the block, the jury will give their verdict in May.

That masterplan didn't address debt, it extended the club's exposure to contract issues, it damaged the club's finances, and it was a very long shot if it was meant to be an automatic promotion bid.

Nearly as bad as dressing up a cost-cutting exercise as total football or similar.

With the money they are spending they need to go up, survival isn't enough of a return on the highest paid 11 in the division.

Taken from the Portsmouth Area Hampshire Chamber of Commerce. "An Audience with David Lampitt" " Join us for this exciting opportunity to hear from David Lampitt CEO at Portsmouth Football Club on his vision for the club and how he has managed the financial and operational challenges in moving the business forward. Come and hear more about the continued vision for the club, share in a Q & A and enjoy an excellent networking lunch. Tours of the ground and conference facilities will be available. There will be a business card draw offering a hospitality package for 2 in the Chimes Lounge at a match of your choice. A not to be missed event, book early to secure your place." The date is March 23rd £18 for members and £23 non-members. Be a laugh to infiltrate that if you could stomach going there.

if HMRC send their top lawyers Chuckle and Chuckle in again then that'll be the future points penalty dismissed as well!

They would do really well to mess this one up but with their court case record you have to put your money on Shifty, Charity-Shafter and Skate getting them off the hook.

If however the taxman manages to fight off this appeal, it could bode well for future grief....

if HMRC send their top lawyers Chuckle and Chuckle in again then that'll be the future points penalty dismissed as well!

They would do really well to mess this one up but with their court case record you have to put your money on Shifty, Charity-Shafter and Skate getting them off the hook.

If however the taxman manages to fight off this appeal, it could bode well for future grief....

I think these are criminal charges against the individuals, not civil against the company. So technically it's the CPS, not HMRC. But I could be wrong.

Pompey's "area of influence" for their fanbase/youth recruitment etc is going to be squeezed even smaller from both the west (Saints) and the east (Brighton).

Brighton will soon overtake them as the 2nd biggest South coast team with the £90m Amex and this announced today...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/8814763.Albion_plan___15m_training_ground/

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10433~2277776,00.html

Edited by Matthew Le God

Those feckers have more lives than my Cat!

you surely don't think anything will happen to HR now he is with the North London Yobbos. They have lots of fans in very high places and there is no way their success will be jeopardized for the mere case of fraud.

you surely don't think anything will happen to HR now he is with the North London Yobbos. They have lots of fans in very high places and there is no way their success will be jeopardized for the mere case of fraud.

I have faith in that what ever happens, there will be enough people trying to do things properly to at least give it a good go. I think the slippery gits will find a way out of it all on technicality's rather than being proved innocent.

I asked bbc_matt if the adjournment was good or bad for them and he said,

bbc_matt: impossible to tell at this point. And even if this goes against them they can still win the actual trial.

My guess is its not as cut and shut as either side would like so will prolly go to trial just to finish it once and for all.

Would still = points penalty to the club if eventualy found guilty though right?

I believe in Storrie's case yes. The MM and 'arry cases don't have anything to do with Pompey FC, so I believe

If Storrie was found guilty and Pompey got a points deduction which consigned them to league 1, then we would have to start a campaign on here to give Peter Storrie the freedom of the city of southampton

it's taken more than a year but AA has found the right candidate to take over from Chanrai! - the clues are all there in that old court report....

he had squandered his money on "egocentric folly" and his offending merited an immediate custodial sentence.

When he took on the chairmanship of Darlington FC, he famously said: "I'm dyslexic, backward, mentally deficient and I couldn't read or write. So I've got everything going for me as chairman of a football club."

His reports were littered with phrases like mentally deficient, retarded and backward.

He turned to safecracking during a career which he later conceded was so unsuccessful he would have earned more as a bus conductor. He nevertheless used his time in jail to teach himself to read and write, and in Lancashire's Kirkham Open Prison in 1964 he learnt from the accountants and solicitors incarcerated with him.

The prosecuting counsel Christopher Knox explained that Reynolds used money from his company's legitimate directors' expenses account to fund his extravagance, and added that he treated HM Customs and Revenue with "cavalier contempt".

If anything, he may well be overqualified.

Surely it's a mistake to admit that the quality over quantity policy was a deliberate gamble, better to pretend it was forced upon them?

Especially when it is in reality an overpaid journeymen over quantity policy, and it looked deeply flawed on day one.

Lampitt and Cotterill's heads are on the block, the jury will give their verdict in May.

That masterplan didn't address debt, it extended the club's exposure to contract issues, it damaged the club's finances, and it was a very long shot if it was meant to be an automatic promotion bid.

Nearly as bad as dressing up a cost-cutting exercise as total football or similar.

With the money they are spending they need to go up, survival isn't enough of a return on the highest paid 11 in the division.

Oh yes, indeed. .

Wasn't it the manager of QPR (a club with billionaire owners) who said that they couldn't compete with what the Cheats were offering to players? Hardly the strategy of a skint club content with merely avoiding relegation.

Not looking good for the few. :lol:

Having read this article, I think it is more of a case as "when" rather "if", the blue few will be relegated or indeed wound up.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/bygone-blues/cotterill_facing_19_player_summer_exodus_1_2351767

Meanwhile, it could be the final Fratton season for the likes of David Nugent, right, John Utaka, Danny Webber, Hermann Hreidarsson and Michael Brown, as well as the five loanees.

That will leave Cotterill with only Hayden Mullins, Jamie Ashdown, Ricardo Rocha, Aaron Mokoena, Tal Ben-Haim, Joel Ward, Kanu, Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence for next season.

There will be no transfer fees for the top set and the wages of those who are left, will prevent any significant numbers being bought in, even on loan. The "quality" over "quantity" argument has come back and smacked them in the face.

The four lads in waiting to hear whether they will get pro contracts are now dead certs to be playing next year. I bet sc is glad he shipped out all the other talent for not being good enough.

On a lighter note, I think "SC" on his training top is quite apt. Regardless of his name, it identifies him clearly; sc = Stupid *****"

Caption competition from the picture in the link?

cotterill has just been told Liverpool rejected his 250k bid for Torres

Having read this article, I think it is more of a case as "when" rather "if", the blue few will be relegated or indeed wound up.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/bygone-blues/cotterill_facing_19_player_summer_exodus_1_2351767

Meanwhile, it could be the final Fratton season for the likes of David Nugent, right, John Utaka, Danny Webber, Hermann Hreidarsson and Michael Brown, as well as the five loanees.

That will leave Cotterill with only Hayden Mullins, Jamie Ashdown, Ricardo Rocha, Aaron Mokoena, Tal Ben-Haim, Joel Ward, Kanu, Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence for next season.

There will be no transfer fees for the top set and the wages of those who are left, will prevent any significant numbers being bought in, even on loan. The "quality" over "quantity" argument has come back and smacked them in the face.

The four lads in waiting to hear whether they will get pro contracts are now dead certs to be playing next year. I bet sc is glad he shipped out all the other talent for not being good enough.

On a lighter note, I think "SC" on his training top is quite apt. Regardless of his name, it identifies him clearly; sc = Stupid *****"

Caption competition from the picture in the link?

cotterill has just been told Liverpool rejected his 250k bid for Torres

Hang on if they've got 19 players out of contract and 9 who are not, that makes 28. How come they're always moaning about no players and only have 14 players in a match squad. 28 is a good NPC squad size.

Hang on if they've got 19 players out of contract and 9 who are not, that makes 28. How come they're always moaning about no players and only have 14 players in a match squad. 28 is a good NPC squad size.

pfc maths, is very different to main stream maths. Just take their word for it.

How they came to 19 players: 5 loanees, 1 player on a month-to-month deal, Cifti (who wants out), 8 players (and they can't/will not play 2 of those anymore because of contract clauses. 2 others are constantly injured) and 5 first years "who await their fate at the end of their deals"... makes 19.... of which 6 could be retained.

So the number is actually only 13 of which 5 are loans and can be replaced with 5 new ones.... so they deffo loose 9 players of their own... not 19....

Edited by Danish Saint

How they came to 19 players: 5 loanees, 1 player on a month-to-month deal, Cifti (who wants out), 8 players (and they can't/will not play 2 of those anymore because of contract clauses. 2 others are constantly injured) and 5 first years "who await their fate at the end of their deals"... makes 19.... of which 6 could be retained.

So the number is actually only 13 of which 5 are loans and can be replaced with 5 new ones.... so they deffo loose 9 players of their own... not 19....

But you don't get any sympathy, or get to plead for yet more dispensations to sign a couple of £20k/week players with that kind of honesty, do you now?

Lampitt and Cotterill should be wheeler-dealering like Harry on a bonus scheme this week.

Offloading high earners and cashing in before contracts rundown, raising cva funding and cashflow, and bringing in replacements.

This transfer window will shape the immediate future of the club, and possibly the longterm (or very short).

But they appear to be on holiday..........is that a little white flag I see?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})