Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Instead of getting annoyed with the fact that they are still sticking two fingers up and signing "Premier league" players we should be rejoicing in the fact that they are just digging themselves a bigger hole.

I would be more worried if they had a sustainable squad full of home grown talent, at least then they would have some sort of a future. Every 20K a week they spunk on some loanie is just 20K a week less of a future they have.

I have little sympathy for Cotterill as the job he has today was clearly defined the day he accepted it.

If he believed false promises from owners with a history of failing to support managers that is his mistake - as is slagging off one of your young players - unacceptable behaviour.

He sounds close to implosion.

That said, I have to thank them for cheering me up when I came out of St Marys.

The wage policy they've adopted is draining money from the club at an alarming rate, and the slide down the table is destroying Chanrai's plan of a speedy payday - I'm not sure that 2011 will be remembered as a great year for the few.

Anyone know what their income vs expenditure looks like right now? Other than unbelieveably poor...

Excluding parachute payments, their turnover is unlikely to be more than about £10-12m. A player on £20k a week will therefore account for around 10% of their turnover from normal operations.

Lawrence, Kitson, Nugent, Mullins, Brown, Kanu, Ben Haim, Sonko...

I would say "unbelievably poor" is a pretty good summary.

I really dont get it, all this fawning over their Managers by the Supporters and the local media. Grant is now be found out, and Cotterill is a similar sort of clown.

They have a decent keeper, in Mokeana and Sonko a solid CB pairing, they have had Brown in CM. Nugent scores goals at that level, Kitsons pretty decent, and despite being 52 Kanu is class. Liam Lawernce is premiership standard, way too good for them and Halford is pretty steady.Add to that the likes of Rocha, and HH and thats a pretty decent squad. How then is Cotterill getting away with it. On Solant yesterday they were on about what a great achievement mid table will be as they should really be facing relegation. I just dont get it.

The rest of football must think the same because I've yet to see Cotterill linked to any of the 20 odd jobs that have been available this season.

I really dont get it, all this fawning over their Managers by the Supporters and the local media. Grant is now be found out, and Cotterill is a similar sort of clown.

They have a decent keeper, in Mokeana and Sonko a solid CB pairing, they have had Brown in CM. Nugent scores goals at that level, Kitsons pretty decent, and despite being 52 Kanu is class. Liam Lawernce is premiership standard, way too good for them and Halford is pretty steady.Add to that the likes of Rocha, and HH and thats a pretty decent squad. How then is Cotterill getting away with it. On Solant yesterday they were on about what a great achievement mid table will be as they should really be facing relegation. I just dont get it.

The rest of football must think the same because I've yet to see Cotterill linked to any of the 20 odd jobs that have been available this season.

I believe that the excuses thrown out by Cotterill act as a sort of smoke screen to hide his poor management skills - when the skates were on a decent run of form no mention was made about the lack of players - lack of money - lack of communication with BC - I think he is just being found out to demonstrate that he is a crap manager , very poor PR skills - constantly bleating on in the press how hard done by he and the club is - at no time does he take any blame for his poor tactics and inability to teach his team some basic defensive skills - to add the reason why he is not being linked with the numerous positions that have become available recently is because of all of the above

I just wish that one of the Solent interviewers would actually put the question directly :

"Your stated club policy is 'quality over quantity' so why are you now complaining about the lack of numbers, surely a team working on a sensible budget has to compromise and strive to live within it's means?".

as anside, I just turned on the snooker on BBC2. There's a right pair holding hands in P*mpey shirts on the front row. No way can I watch that so I turned over for the High Chapperall I guess it is brother and sister.

What a hideous site that was - probably nice for them to experience a big crowd for a change though.

Trailer trash.

Slightly off topic, but still pertinant to this thread, I see a little piece in the Sun page 20, which tackles 'image rights' of footballers. I knew they were greedy gits, but not how greedy they were. It appears they set up 'image right' companys, then take out loans at 2% tax ( I'm sure one of our resident tax experts will explain), which is a tax loophole. Now this is the interesting part.....

Tax bosses want £100 million from clubs alledged to have over stated stars 'image rights' ....I wonder who dabbled in that little charade?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Cotterill-shrugs-off-exit-talk.6693104.jp

I have very little smypathy with him. He knew he was taking on a financially broken down bus and suprise suprise, the man who put them into Administration and emerged with the ownership is reluctant to invest more in spare parts.

Remember the bus on The Young Ones final episode. Thats you Pompey, that is

Edited by Weston Saint

Well Cotterill was daft enough to take the job in the first place so it doesn't surprise me with the comments he comes out with.

Judging by that Forest result I wonder if the season fatigue is setting in with their paper thin squad having to play every single league and cup game. The remainder of the season could be very long and hard fo them

Slightly off topic, but still pertinant to this thread, I see a little piece in the Sun page 20, which tackles 'image rights' of footballers. I knew they were greedy gits, but not how greedy they were. It appears they set up 'image right' companys, then take out loans at 2% tax ( I'm sure one of our resident tax experts will explain), which is a tax loophole. Now this is the interesting part.....

Tax bosses want £100 million from clubs alledged to have over stated stars 'image rights' ....I wonder who dabbled in that little charade?

Just had an item about this on the BBC news channel

Ah, so THAT's why they kept their Powder dry in the earlier Court Case.

Or

Well, if the Poopey Court Case was their finest legal minds at work, then they've got no hope

according to skate mate Blackpool have offered a `derisory' £500,000 for Nugent (out of contract in the summer). I wonder how that will be viewed by the owner?

And what was his value in their Statement of Affairs/Businesss Plan for this year?

I'm sure it was posted on here somewhere, along with many zillions for Utaka

Sell Nugent for £500K and save £600K in wages, also pay someone £500K to take Utaka - it's cheaper in the long run.

So much deadwood for such a small squad...

And how poor must a Man Utd loanee be if Sir Alex doesn't send him to Peterborough?

Prem wages, hardly played - off to Fratton it is!

Do they want to buy my daughter's KA, 100K miles, 22 careful owners - £75,000?

Given their position I can't see them getting promoted with or without Nugent but I guess you could argue that by keeping him they will reduce the chance of them being relegated which would cost them a lot more than 500k (or they are just holding out hoping for a better bid!).

I guess the skates can wave goodbye to the nugget then.

But what will happen if he refuses to go? As absurd as it sounds, can Premier League Blackpool match the wage he is getting at pompey?? Why not stay there for another 6 months, pick up his weekly wedge (plus image rights of course) & then negotitate a good deal as a free agent in the summer.

But what will happen if he refuses to go? As absurd as it sounds, can Premier League Blackpool match the wage he is getting at pompey?? Why not stay there for another 6 months, pick up his weekly wedge (plus image rights of course) & then negotitate a good deal as a free agent in the summer.

Even as a free agent in the summer, he'll never earn what he is on at pompey again so the next 6 months will be about preparing for life after football - and getting as much in the bank possible so he'll not be going anywhere IMO.

Even as a free agent in the summer, he'll never earn what he is on at pompey again so the next 6 months will be about preparing for life after football - and getting as much in the bank possible so he'll not be going anywhere IMO.

Unless they pay him a chunk of money to make up the shortfall on his salary at Blackpool to help make his mind up.

It's not an uncommon practice.

I believe such payments made to players to facilitate their exit from a football club are known as 'loyalty payments'.

Unless they pay him a chunk of money to make up the shortfall on his salary at Blackpool to help make his mind up.

I believe such payments made to players to facilitate their exit from a football club are known as 'loyalty payments'.

Poopey could be doing this with several big earners to get them shifted. Not only are they unlikely to get a fee for someone like Nugent, but they could be paying out half a mill to save half a mill just to get him off the books. Similar arrangement with Brown, Hughes & maybe one or two others like Utaka. The chances of them raising any funds on transfers is virtually zero I would have thought.

Unless this (loyalty malarkey) comes in a Tax free, n don't forget my cut, brown bag, Then it wont be happening at this club!

Unless we have some deep moles on the Skate News site, there is something stirring in the caves of Portsea Island. It might just be the sound of two rocks being banged together as evolution begins. I'm so pleased Mr Lampitt put it in words that the few could grasp, because, slowly, one by one, they are.....

DenmeadBlue,

Denmead 17/01/2011 19:21:52

'QUALITY OVER QUANTITY' Club policy has written in DL's Diary on the Club website.

Sorry SC, you made choices, one was bringing in LL and DK on big wages, this was 'QUALITY OVER QUANTITY'

Poopey could be doing this with several big earners to get them shifted. Not only are they unlikely to get a fee for someone like Nugent, but they could be paying out half a mill to save half a mill just to get him off the books. Similar arrangement with Brown, Hughes & maybe one or two others like Utaka. The chances of them raising any funds on transfers is virtually zero I would have thought.

Virtually zero? But I'm sure the CVA said they planned to bring in £40m from transfers... oh... oh dear...

Unless this (loyalty malarkey) comes in a Tax free, n don't forget my cut, brown bag, Then it wont be happening at this club!

The question is, are there any brown bags left in pompey? Actually there's another - who's going to cut up the newspapers into note size chunks to fill them?

Wrong.

With his 80% charge over all players that get sold, it would put £400,000 into Chinny's pocket this month.

I guess the skates can wave goodbye to the nugget then.

Very true. But the question is, does Chinny continue with his gamble or cut his losses now? The Cheats have to overtake 12 other teams to claim the final playoff spot, and even then it's only a 1/4 chance for the big prize. So generously assuming a 1/12 chance of finishing in the top 6 (they can forget about the top 2), that gives BC about a 1/48 long shot with his Lawrence/Kitson etc. high-wage gamble. I bet he now wishes he'd simply taken the millions he's squandered in a vain attempt to keep the Cheats competitive and instead plonked it on number 36 of a roulette wheel.

Very true. But the question is, does Chinny continue with his gamble or cut his losses now?

Chinny will be at the club for the next few years, earning a massive wedge of interest on his loan, recouping his loan in full, and then selling the club once the CVA is all cleared. Well that's what a skate mate told me.

I was going back over some old Sports Echos yesterday and I came accross an article from 5th April 2003 about the Cheats FC (At the time we were preparing for the Cup Final at Cardiff and the Cheats had just got into the PL.).

The article has the title "As financial forces cast doubt over Mandaric's future at Fratton Park.. Chairman vows to keep on Spending"

It has some interesting quotes

"Cheats chairman Milan Mandaric has admitted that after business losses estimated at £60M in 18 months, he is under pressure from finanical advisers to quit the Cheats"

"The 64-year old has put much of his personal and business life on hold for almost four years as he pursues his dreams of taking the Cheats to the PL and seeing the club established in a new stadium.

That pursuit has cost Mandaric up to £20M in his first three years at the club, and this season he is estimated to have spent £6.5M, taken up by an increase in the wage bill, transfers and agents' fees, and loan signings.."

"After announcing this week that he was prepared to find the £4M needed to sign Nigerian striker Yakubu Ayegbeni ..."

So a recent history of the Cheats is :-

1998 Administration

1999 - 2003 Mandaric loses in excess of £30M just running the club.

2006 - 2009 Mandaric hands over to Gaydamak who spends many Millions, which eventually in 2010 ends up with the Tax Man paying for.

2010 Administration again.

2010 Another new owner and STILL the Fans and Manager expect MORE MONEY TO BE spent on players.

Chinny will be at the club for the next few years, earning a massive wedge of interest on his loan, recouping his loan in full, and then selling the club once the CVA is all cleared. Well that's what a skate mate told me.

And the reason for that is?????

That the parachute payments are spread out over a number of seasons.

Which is what is paying his interest & capital.

The finances aren't really here nor there, he just has to keep them on life support to get to the next tranche and then the next.

Meanwhile the economy slowly recovers and eventually the value of redevelopment will overtake the value of the Parachutes.

Why they still expect "More Investment" or "More Gambles" is just providing more and more daily entertainment.

Just think, IF they had started the AFCP last year they could have been back in L2 by the time the original is popped.

more like Cotterill vows to keep doing the best he can with the hand of cards he carefully selected from the pack and gave himself!

while the damage to the finances from wages is funny we really need a couple of players to leave them before the window closes and the remaining games could be interesting.

I'm happy to play them in the championship next season or just to take their place.

If we fail to go up I would reluctantly accept their relegation as a poor booby prize.

But if they were to start next season above us still........well let's not even consider that doomsday scenario....

more like Cotterill vows to keep doing the best he can with the hand of cards he carefully selected from the pack and gave himself!

while the damage to the finances from wages is funny we really need a couple of players to leave them before the window closes and the remaining games could be interesting.

I'm happy to play them in the championship next season or just to take their place.

If we fail to go up I would reluctantly accept their relegation as a poor booby prize.

But if they were to start next season above us still........well let's not even consider that doomsday scenario....

I'd rather that nobody joined them, except those who have already joined.

With nobody leaving them, leaving some sat on their a553s haemorrhaging cash from the business while waiting to trigger contract extensions.

This way is the way forward. Either Chinny stumps up in a valliant effort or, hopefully, he decides to call it a day and close it all down.

Well the need substantial money coming in to service the CVA, so either thats from Chin's pocket, or from player sales. And neither source seems to be happening so far....

They don't need to worry about that yet!... sure i read somewhere that because of lack of funds Android has put back the first CVA payment to April 2012! CHEATS.