Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Not too disappointed with Appleton to be honest. His reputation within the game is very good and my fera was that we were going to appoint one the of same, tired old faces like Dowie or Boothroyd. Giving a young guy with a good coaching reputation is an encouraging move. In fact, someone I know who works at Brentford says they approached him in the summer about the managers job and he turned them down because he wanted to manage at a higher level but the rumour was that he was the driving force behind WBA's promotion and effectively carried Di Matteo. Time will tell I guess but not unhappy with the move

If anything this gives me a great deal of confidence that he will be a complete flop given that your past record with rumours is so dreadful.

"reputation within the game", is a Cliché trotted out in football, when people are wondering who the hell someone is.

It is used by fans to show how knowledable they are about the game, and that they are not just supporters but serious football people.

How do you aquire this tag of "repuation within the game"? Steve Keen has it, as did Mark Wotte, Wiggley and Stewart Gray. Football is basically an old boys network, so there's always going to be someone saying good things about you.

Adkins had 2 promotions from the league we were in at the time, was manging in the league above us, they are totally different appointments and even the most one eyed Skate could see that. When they were talking about Dave Jones, SOD and Steve Coppell they can only be dissapointed with this guy.

As much as I want to laugh at them for making this appointment, I can't. As pointed out by others, it seems a sensible move, financially, and suggests they are trying to live within their means and build for the future. It's also good to see young coaches given a chance to step up a level.

If it wasn't Pompey, I'd wish him well and hope he's a success. But it is, so unfortunately I hope he's an abject failure.

Clearly appointed as the cheap option, if the 2k per week rumour is to be believed.

Perhaps sensible for them, however as the manager is the most important person at any club, then skimping on that appointment may be just plain mad.

Big risk on an untried 35 year old, but will at least be a cheap payout if/when they have to sack him.

When that day comes let's hope that Stuart Gray is still waiting in the wings to take over .... :rolleyes:

Not too disappointed with Appleton to be honest. His reputation within the game is very good and my fera was that we were going to appoint one the of same, tired old faces like Dowie or Boothroyd. Giving a young guy with a good coaching reputation is an encouraging move. In fact, someone I know who works at Brentford says they approached him in the summer about the managers job and he turned them down because he wanted to manage at a higher level but the rumour was that he was the driving force behind WBA's promotion and effectively carried Di Matteo. Time will tell I guess but not unhappy with the move

A rumour that undoubtedly only came about after he got the job at Fratton and one that doesn't wash really - you cannot compare the blue few to that West Brom team, they were much, much better than what you have now. It's incredible really, some of the stuff people will say to try and make an appointment look good.

Its like when we signed Olivier Bernard and people (I confess, I was one) said he was great to try and convince themselves!

Clearly appointed as the cheap option, if the 2k per week rumour is to be believed.

Perhaps sensible for them, however as the manager is the most important person at any club, then skimping on that appointment may be just plain mad.

Big risk on an untried 35 year old, but will at least be a cheap payout if/when they have to sack him.

When that day comes let's hope that Stuart Gray is still waiting in the wings to take over .... :rolleyes:

Even more so when a number of their players are on wages rumoured to be ten times in excess of that.

Fair play to giving a young coach a go; time will tell if he's any good or not, but I think it'll either be a complete masterstroke or an utter catastrophe.

tbf their dire situation and infrastructure meant they wouldn't have been able to attract one of many 'once okay but now lost interest and looking for a last payday' managers around. Thats a lucky break for them imo. The guy has a good reputation as a coach and looks scary enough to get a form of respect as manager. Its definitely as risk but who knows, if he has nous as well he could be a very good appointment - certainly better than a Burley or Adams.

tbf their dire situation and infrastructure meant they wouldn't have been able to attract one of many 'once okay but now lost interest and looking for a last payday' managers around. Thats a lucky break for them imo. The guy has a good reputation as a coach and looks scary enough to get a form of respect as manager. Its definitely as risk but who knows, if he has nous as well he could be a very good appointment - certainly better than a Burley or Adams.

Let's be honest, we all know he wasn't the 1st choice and are all relieved they didn't get O'Driscoll or Howe, who they clearly wanted.

According to to the editor of the Portsmouth News on Twitter, they will be breaking what they describe as a "big" story about Harry Redknapp at 2.30pm today. I wonder if that's when the reporting restrictions on the court case expire?

Looks like he's up before the beak for 2 charges of cheating the public revenue (tax evasion?) Jan 23rd

Edited by andysstuff
typo

****flaps and mandick to stand trial in January

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/12/tottenham-harry-redknapp-tax-trial

"Redknapp denies any wrongdoing but would have good reason for his mind to be on other matters when Tottenham Hotspur take on the current Premier League leaders, Manchester City, at the Etihad Stadium the day before the proceedings begin.

The timing of the trial may interfere with his club's preparations for the Premier League matches against Wigan Athletic and Liverpool, and, should Spurs qualify, the fourth round of the FA Cup on 28 January.

Redknapp and Mandaric, the owner of Sheffield Wednesday, both face two counts of cheating the public revenue. Their alleged offences relate to tax payments due while the pair were respectively manager and chairman of Portsmouth.

The indictment laid down by prosecutors states: "Mandaric and Redknapp, between 1 April 2002 and 28 November 2007, with intent to defraud and to the prejudice of HM Revenue and Customs, arranged for $145,000, paid by Mandaric as a result of or in connection with Redknapp's employment and as a reward for services, to be transferred to a Monaco bank account opened by Redknapp for that purpose, in order to conceal the said emolument from HM Revenue and Customs and evade the payment of income tax and national insurance contributions thereon (whether by the operation of PAYE by the club or otherwise)."

As for count two, the indictment states: "Mandaric and Redknapp between 1 May 2004 and 28 November 2007, with intent to defraud and to the prejudice of HM Revenue and Customs, arranged for $150,000, paid by Mandaric as a result of or in connection with Redknapp's employment and as a reward for services, to be transferred to a Monaco bank account opened by Redknapp for that purpose, in order to conceal the said employment income from HM Revenue and Customs and evade the payment of income tax and national insurance contributions thereon (whether by the operation of PAYE by the club or otherwise)."

The pair will fight the charges in a trial scheduled to last two weeks."

Makes you wonder...

Still, we know one thing for sure - this thread can last until the early part of 2012 !!!!!

I think there is plenty of mileage left it in yet. I wonder if this also will have any impact on the Skates in terms of an FA "financial irregularlity" type investigation. Probably wishful thinking.

What do you reckon Mack? Opening of the floodgates....?????!!

No i don't, You know as well as i do that most of the football world thinks Old Saggy walks on water,(that doesn't include our two city's) And if the powers that be aim on getting shot of the Bubble after the European and installing (are arry) as the next Gaffa, Then strings will be pulled,

If there is a Major upset with a shock!:rolleyes: Guilty verdict. I don't think it will affect PFC as its between MadMandy and him.

No i don't, You know as well as i do that most of the football world thinks Old Saggy walks on water,(that doesn't include our two city's) And if the powers that be aim on getting shot of the Bubble after the European and installing (are arry) as the next Gaffa, Then strings will be pulled,

If there is a Major upset with a shock!:rolleyes: Guilty verdict. I don't think it will affect PFC as its between MadMandy and him.

I wouldn't be too sure.

IIRC those payments were made by Mandy in his position as owner, as recompense for 'Arry's work. Thus akin to wages / bonus from the club to 'Arry. Therefore it could also be construed as the entity of the football club avoiding taxes.... Whether it will or not is another matter, especially with the Prem league's penchant for covering up as many wrongdoings as it can...

Why does anyone expect anything to happen? HMRC lost against Pompey FFS, they're clearly protected so nothing is going to happen to Storrie or the future England manager. Move on.

This

If there was tax avoidaqnce and Mlan was paying 'Arry for services related to his work then there would be issues over National Insurance that the Club should have paid.

Don't see any mention of that. This really should not impact on their continued stumble towards the really dark side

Why does anyone expect anything to happen? HMRC lost against Pompey FFS, they're clearly protected so nothing is going to happen to Storrie or the future England manager. Move on.

Obviously the Judge at the Hearing thought that there was more mileage in all this after hearing the preliminaries. Cannot wait until 23rd January.

As others have noted, if Peter Storrie has fessed up everyone else to save his own arse he will have no worries about dropping the club in it. Up until this point it was widely perceived that they could only face sanctions based on his actions. With full immunity being provided and a prosecution prepped and supported by the HMRC there may be some interesting nuggets to drop out of this, and potentially other cases that may follow.

I am not sure whether a 10 pointer this year will have any effect on them, I just hope they get seen by the general football public as the low-rent chancers that they are as opposed to the media's 'plucky Pompey' tag.

As others have noted, if Peter Storrie has fessed up everyone else to save his own arse he will have no worries about dropping the club in it. Up until this point it was widely perceived that they could only face sanctions based on his actions. With full immunity being provided and a prosecution prepped and supported by the HMRC there may be some interesting nuggets to drop out of this, and potentially other cases that may follow.

I am not sure whether a 10 pointer this year will have any effect on them, I just hope they get seen by the general football public as the low-rent chancers that they are as opposed to the media's 'plucky Pompey' tag.

IMHO the only real way any new sanctions can be aimed at them would have to come from UEFA or FIFA. They can be seen as having taken the PL punishment and moved on points deduction wise. The ONLY real harm that could come out of the trial would be "Un-Registered Agents" ala Luton. BUT with this being a very specific charge in this specific case, UNLESS 'Arry turns "grass" to save his career (IF he felt he could lose) there really is no way that the English Authorities would see any need. OR if 'Arry has evidence that "misrepresentations" were made to the Authorities about finances, but then what would be the gain for 'Arry, the submissions to court by Storrie were after 'Arrys days.

BUT if some of the dodgy deals/agents broke UEFA rules there may be some grumbles.. BUT with the way English Football keeps p1ssing off Blatter, something coming out that is FIFA related - that may be a different kettle of skates.

Still think it highly unlikely anything will stick to the few. But that's fine, they will bumble along mending clocks and finding ways to save water

I would suggest that you hold your breath on that one...watch what happens to Rangers in Scotland, and look to see how many clubs will pay up a 'buy out' on taxes owed. Poopey could still catch a cold imho!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/12/tottenham-harry-redknapp-tax-trial.

The indictment laid down by prosecutors states: "Mandaric and Redknapp, between 1 April 2002 and 28 November 2007, with intent to defraud and to the prejudice of HM Revenue and Customs, arranged for $145,000, paid by Mandaric as a result of or in connection with Redknapp's employment and as a reward for services, to be transferred to a Monaco bank account opened by Redknapp for that purpose, in order to conceal the said emolument from HM Revenue and Customs and evade the payment of income tax and national insurance contributions thereon (whether by the operation of PAYE by the club or otherwise)."

As for count two, the indictment states: "Mandaric and Redknapp between 1 May 2004 and 28 November 2007, with intent to defraud and to the prejudice of HM Revenue and Customs, arranged for $150,000, paid by Mandaric as a result of or in connection with Redknapp's employment and as a reward for services, to be transferred to a Monaco bank account opened by Redknapp for that purpose, in order to conceal the said employment income from HM Revenue and Customs and evade the payment of income tax and national insurance contributions thereon (whether by the operation of PAYE by the club or otherwise)."

The pair will fight the charges in a trial scheduled to last two weeks."

Phil.

Are you being deliberately retarded, or did you just happen to miss this rather important part of the statement not once, but twice?

This

If there was tax avoidaqnce and Mlan was paying 'Arry for services related to his work then there would be issues over National Insurance that the Club should have paid.

Don't see any mention of that. This really should not impact on their continued stumble towards the really dark side

I was at an event earlier in the Bournemouth area where coincidentally the subject came up - someone amongst our party claimed to have been told that even Bagpuss's own solicitors are privately saying he is going down for it. I have no idea if this is true but as I heard it first hand thought I'd pass it on.

I was at an event earlier in the Bournemouth area where coincidentally the subject came up - someone amongst our party claimed to have been told that even Bagpuss's own solicitors are privately saying he is going down for it. I have no idea if this is true but as I heard it first hand thought I'd pass it on.

I assume the proof that the money came from Mandaric is fairly irrefutable and similarly that the account it was paid into belonged to bagpuss so I assume the only get out is if they can convince the court that the money related to something that is not subject to tax/NI.

Stop it St. C. You're raising all our hopes up. :D

IMHO the only real way any new sanctions can be aimed at them would have to come from UEFA or FIFA. They can be seen as having taken the PL punishment and moved on points deduction wise.

That was for going into administration. In theory they could get punished for newly uncovered crimes.

Luton Town had 10 points deducted for "irregular payments to agents" along with another 20 points for the way they exited their CVA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/luton_town/7507736.stm

"The club argued that the old owners were responsible and that the club should not now be punished for their mistakes, but at a hearing in London on Tuesday the FA rejected their appeal."

Could be bad news for Pompey early in the New Year...

Luton Town had 10 points deducted for "irregular payments to agents" along with another 20 points for the way they exited their CVA.

"The club argued that the old owners were responsible and that the club should not now be punished for their mistakes, but at a hearing in London on Tuesday the FA rejected their appeal."

Luton faced 50 different charges though

Ain't going to happen.

If Pompey get deducted points for anything relating to 'arry and Mandaric I will streak at St Mary's this season in the home game afterwards.

An incident that would have such an affect it would mean our home attendance would dip below Pompey's very quickly.

Ain't going to happen.

If Pompey get deducted points for anything relating to 'arry and Mandaric I will streak at St Mary's this season in the home game afterwards.

An incident that would have such an affect it would mean our home attendance would dip below Pompey's very quickly.

I'd imagine the rest of the Football League (plus Luton) would kick up a fuss if the rules say they should get a points deduction but then don't. Easier for them to punish 1 team, than it is to not punish them and annoy the 71 other member clubs.

Phil.

Are you being deliberately retarded, or did you just happen to miss this rather important part of the statement not once, but twice?

Yep I'm retarded. I don't read the Grauniad 8)

OK what I meant to say was that it doesn't actually mention his "employer" in the indictment. It mentions the owner. My (college level) of law is pretty slim but I know it's pedantics make MLG seem off the cuff, so if they (Club) weren't named as doing it for the purpose of avoiding EMPLOYERS NI then they are highly unlikely to be "tried for it" at this hearing.

Employee NI avoidance is onw thing but the club look to have a ready made get out clause. THEY didn't pay the money

Just my IMHO that's all

Stop it St. C. You're raising all our hopes up. :D

That was for going into administration. In theory they could get punished for newly uncovered crimes.

There's theory and then there is Corporate Branding, hence why I can see the PL simply saying phew Club not named... sweep it under the carpet with everything else. (Although one day the carpet will have so much under it the edges won't touch the floor!)

Again it seems a pretty bang to rights case. 'Arry took cash, Milan paid it.

It then depends on who uses what defence. Milan could say - I only did what 'Arry told me to do, I thought he was sorting out the tax side.

'Arry could then say something like Milan did it that way because...

The fact is poopey avoided tax alright - CVA - but there does not seem to be any angle here in what we have seen where the club itself is actually involved in helping "Arry avoid tax.

As for tax, famous sports personalities and custodial sentences - Lester Piggott?

As sorry as I am to say this but IF they are found guilty I just cannot see a custody sentance being given, a fine yes.

However I would be quite happy to be wrong :lol:

They said that about Lester Piggott..........After he retired from riding horses at the end of the 1985 flat season, Piggott became a racehorse trainer. At its peak, his Eve Lodge stables had housed 97 residents and sent out 34 winners. In 1987 he was jailed for three years, of which he served 366 days for tax fraud. The following year he was stripped of his OBE (which he had been awarded in 1975) because of tax evasion. He resumed his career as a jockey in 1990 following his release from jail, winning the Breeders' Cup Mile on Royal Academy within ten days of his return, and riding another Classic winner, Rodrigo de Triano, in the 1992 2000 Guineas.

Piggots tax fraud males 'arry look like a minnow.

" was jailed after failing to declare income to the Inland Revenue of £3.25m. (30 years ago when I earned £34 a week)

The biggest sum on the charge sheet relates to an alleged omission of £1,359,726 from additional riding income. Another alleged that for 14 years, from 1971, he omitted income of £1,031,697 from bloodstock operations."

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})