Sharpe rumour hots up

patred44

I disagree. Splashing out huge wages is an easy way to upset a happy camp, build resentment etc. Fees aren't players fault. Sharp would probably want to sign for free, for 1m, for 2m, whatever. Keeping within the vaguely sensible wage structure is vital to long term success and development of the club. If Nugent wants 40k a week he can fck off. He's a decent championship player, but there are many better, and many cheaper.

agree with this...and also, nugget is clearly some sort of ****

I disagree. Splashing out huge wages is an easy way to upset a happy camp, build resentment etc. Fees aren't players fault. Sharp would probably want to sign for free, for 1m, for 2m, whatever. Keeping within the vaguely sensible wage structure is vital to long term success and development of the club. If Nugent wants 40k a week he can fck off. He's a decent championship player, but there are many better, and many cheaper.

You're wasting your time there mate - trying to talk finance and common sence to a pompey fan. There's a brick wall over there, go talk to that, it'll sink in quicker....!

I think £3m for a 25 year old striker in the Championship is about right. I wouldn't want to see us pay much more but if he continues to perfom at the level he has then he would be a massive asset. If his goals take us in and around the play offs it would represent great value!

Decent signing, shame about Mills though (if true).

After watching him against Ipswich in the FA Cup a couple of seasons ago, I thought he looked a player with real ability and bags of potential.

leandre griffit was amazing in one game also......and was also crap

no loss really...

Reading on a forum - normally full of complete ****e - that we're in for a player is not something 'hotting up'.

Ummm, thinking about it, I can't disagree with that to be honest. Kinda killed the optimism for me now.... doooh..!

Does anybody have a link to some Doncaster forums? Would like to know their opinion on him.

This seems to be their main message board, interesting to note somebody on there say that Sharp likes to be the top dog at a club, can't see that being the case if he comes to us.....

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=999999&id=163171&Itemid=108

We did spend 4m on Delap several years ago - makes Sharp look like a bargin

that would only be true once we had seen Sharp for a season or so at our place. As Sheff United fans if they thought he was a bargain.

that would only be true once we had seen Sharp for a season or so at our place. As Sheff United fans if they thought he was a bargain.

easy to say when a side is in complete free fall.......look at the many players we thought were wasters yet went to the prem as went to league 1

Sheffield United were shít though. Look at how well he worked under Nigel Adkins. Seeing as NA is our manager, I think that is more relevant. Near on every playing takes a move in their career that doesn't work out. He since moved on and is continuing to do well as he was prior to Sheffield United. But then, if there is a negative, some on here just HAVE to focus on that.

£3million on Sharp or the extra £1 million for Maynard?

It will not cost £4million to buy Maynard. Very rarely does a player in the championship go for £4 million let alone a player in his last year of his contract. If Maynard wants to move on then Birstol City hand will be forced and they will have to accept he is in his last year of contract so either they get what they can or lose him for nothing next summer. I dont think it will cost more than £2 million to get him should he want to join us. I personally would prefer Maynard over Sharpe as we will be crying out for someone with excellent pace not just good pace for this league

It will not cost £4million to buy Maynard. Very rarely does a player in the championship go for £4 million let alone a player in his last year of his contract. If Maynard wants to move on then Birstol City hand will be forced and they will have to accept he is in his last year of contract so either they get what they can or lose him for nothing next summer. I dont think it will cost more than £2 million to get him should he want to join us. I personally would prefer Maynard over Sharpe as we will be crying out for someone with excellent pace not just good pace for this league

Maybe Bristol City would consider keeping Maynard as more important than the £2m they could get for him. The NPC looks to be a very competitive league next season, Maynard could be the difference between staying up and relegation for them. Plus their owner is minted and heavily subsidises the running of the club, that was how they were able to afford Maynard in the first place. They are not absolutely desperate for the cash

My Daughter won't best pleased if Fish is the make-weight in the deal.

£3m! amazing what players will sell for these days, but then compared to inflation of other things if Trevor Francis, who was a player of some repute in his day, sold for £1m back in 1979/80 (?) that would probably make Billy Sharpe £90,000 £150,000 tops back then. (Kevin Keegan european footballer of the year came to us around the same time for £450,000!! by comparison that was daylight robbery!!).

Of course another thing, we have been so use to buying that'll do for the money players over the years, when we see this kind of money being spoken about many of us probably think we are buying a Superstar buy comparison to budget players we have bought.

Maybe Bristol City would consider keeping Maynard as more important than the £2m they could get for him. The NPC looks to be a very competitive league next season, Maynard could be the difference between staying up and relegation for them. Plus their owner is minted and heavily subsidises the running of the club, that was how they were able to afford Maynard in the first place. They are not absolutely desperate for the cash

Well at some point they will need to learn to only spend what they earn and not rely on finincial gifts.

I would gladly pay 4mil to never be subjected to the ordeal of witnessing another of Delap's long throws ever again. The sheer pall of misery they cast over SMS got us relegated.....

Sorry, but I can never understand the irrational antipathy to Delap. True, when he was good he was very good and like other players he had off days.

But his throw-ins were generally a very powerful asset. It's just that Saints didn't work out how to exploit them as well as Stoke (who he helped get promoted to the Premiership). He must have hated the jeers that he got from some sections of the Saints crowd. Perhaps we were the problem, not Delap.

And no way was Delap the cause of our relegation, as you well know.

I was using poetic licence regarding relegation but I don't think I saw a single goal ever at SMS from the superthrows.

Which is my point. Saints couldn't work out how to exploit them. Stoke could and do.

Saints fans have never been the best judge of their assets on the pitch, and the proof is the long list of dissed ex-players who do well elsewhere.

(I bet Fish will join the list too.)

I was using poetic licence regarding relegation but I don't think I saw a single goal ever at SMS from the superthrows.

Tessem last minute winner against Sunderland (no idea what year) came from a Delap long throw.

Delap? More than 4 million?

:lol: You've made my day!

Indeed. I find it quite alarming that Lowe refused to pay £7 million for both Saha and Malbranque in one deal saying it would make our rivals stronger financially, but paid £4 million for a man who to all intents and purposes only has a long throw to boast about.

Gareth Bale also has a hell of a throw on him by the way, so it's not as if it's a rarity in modern football.