Ammar Jemal

Super Carlton

Can anyone remember how long it took to sort out Jaidi's work permit?

it took ages, so long I think we all thought the deal must have fallen through...and then his signing was announced. Jemal already feels exactly the same.

If we are just waiting for a work permit and the club are fairly sure it will come through OK could he already be training with us? Anyone messaged him on twitter or seen anything else as to what he is doing now? He must be training somewhere as the season is about to start. Will he need another medical at 11:40 as the last one has expired by the time he signs?

Jemal, as a Tunisian working outside the EU (in Switzerland) is certainly going to take longer to sign than anyone with an EU passport or already working in an EU country.

I wonder if we still have to go through the "rejected and reapply" charade based on the proportion of games played for the country, etc. Last time I heard there was a "guaranteed" criteria, and then a "special circumstances" application if the stats weren't met.

Of course, it's just as likely to be a delay due to him inviting other offers... or maybe that "old problem" that came up on the medical that the OP mentioned to me cooled us on the idea.

Edited by The9

I was thinking this morning that it would make sense that a more complex deal would be the reason for the delay in getting something announced. The QPR connection might have some legs therefore, but if he's been playing for them why should a work permit be an issue?

The work permit issue is for Jemal; Gorks wouldn't need one as he is an EU citizen.

I will be very happy if we sign both of them, but can't really see it.

We won't know the truth until we see an announcement on the OS. After all, these are only two stories that have been doing the rounds on Football Rumours!

The Jemal one has been authenticated by at least one poster I know personally who not only knows when his medical was (an hour or two before De Ridder's) but also that there was a minor problem with it. He has also been at the very least accommodating to Saints fans on his Facebook, which has the kind of obscure pic you'd expect of a genuine profile. It's not just football-rumours made up guff.

From the above article:

'Rangers have had a bid accepted for 25-year-old Puncheon, with centre-back Kaspars Gorkss set to move in the opposite direction as part of the deal.'

Hopefully this deal will be completed very soon.

Gorkks really would be an outstanding addition, I find it unbelievable that they're willing to let him go. He was their rock last year.

What's more giving us him PLUS cash for Puncheon.

Amazing piece of business for us if this comes off.

This says it's a work permit delay too....

http://www.letelegramme.com/sports/clubs-football/stade-brestois/ligue-1-stade-brestois-brest-attend-encore-deux-defenseurs-01-08-2011-1387522.php

Google Translate "Targeted, Tunisian Ammar Jemal (24 years, Young Boys Berne) should not be Finistere. His three-year contract to ... Southampton is at present suspended from receiving his work permit in Britain. Barring, Brest to continue his research."

poster on other forum confidently saying he is staying in hotel at Chilworth and is def done deal (pending permit I guess?)

Camel seen outside hotel ?

Slight conundrum, or flaw in the other poster's statement though.

poster on other forum confidently saying he is staying in hotel at Chilworth and is def done deal (pending permit I guess?)

They also said Martin O'Neill had boughta house in Winchester and was waiting in a hotel and definitely a done deal.....

Not sure if there is anything to read into this, but Ammar Jemal wasn't in the new team photo for Young Boys.

http://www.bscyb.ch/content.aspx?navi=23&mannschaft=1

He appears to be off.... just where to?

hasn't been playing for them either, they are probably 2 matches into their season now.I believe someone told us he refused to go back there this summer.

Perhaps not the sort of player one should touch with a bargepole really.Still we are desperate.

Might not have played enough games for Tunisia - got a red card in their African Cup of Nations which meant they didn't progress, and refused to travel to play Morocco after a club vs country row - maybe that's what's holding it up as we have to prove he deserves one anyway?

Tunisian international, Ammar Jemal, is about to finalize his transfer to the English Divisional team, FC Southampton. Until obtaining a work permit, it has met the medical examination.

After a fairly successful first season with the Young Boys Berne, the former resident of the Etoile Sportive du Sahel has not failed to get into a tussle with his club to leave Switzerland for a new experience .

He ended, presumably, for to succeed and seems more than ever ready for a new adventure in English. Ammar Jemal will not be out of place among the "Saints" because regain his former teammate selection Radhi Jaidi.

Finally, note that the start of the Championship (second division English) is planned for this weekend. For his opening match in Southampton, will face Leeds United.

and maybe NA can ask NC for more scouts to expand our network to find more players like this.

If you need a scouting network to find a player who played against a club from the same country as yours in the Champions League the previous season I'd say you were doing it wrong.

Has anyone else noticed that he appears a little bit, dare i say it, on the pot belly side? I doubt hes fit enough to get anywhere near our first team tbh though his youtube highlights show hes a footballer alright- takes free kicks, penalties scores headers etc....its just he's got what for all the world looks like a bit of a pot belly? If the Gorks character from qpr is fit, which presumably he is from doing preseason and playing friendlies for them suggests, and he obviously speaks and understands english plus knows the Championship very well, then he is much more likely to walk straight in at cb than Jammal, younger and more potential notwithstanding...

Tunisian international, Ammar Jemal, is about to finalize his transfer to the English Divisional team, FC Southampton. Until obtaining a work permit, it has met the medical examination.

After a fairly successful first season with the Young Boys Berne, the former resident of the Etoile Sportive du Sahel has not failed to get into a tussle with his club to leave Switzerland for a new experience .

He ended, presumably, for to succeed and seems more than ever ready for a new adventure in English. Ammar Jemal will not be out of place among the "Saints" because regain his former teammate selection Radhi Jaidi.

Finally, note that the start of the Championship (second division English) is planned for this weekend. For his opening match in Southampton, will face Leeds United.

Pah at Google translate, anyone knows that "bras de fer" is arm wrestle. not tussle...

Has anyone else noticed that he appears a little bit, dare i say it, on the pot belly side? I doubt hes fit enough to get anywhere near our first team tbh though his youtube highlights show hes a footballer alright- takes free kicks, penalties scores headers etc....its just he's got what for all the world looks like a bit of a pot belly? If the Gorks character from qpr is fit, which presumably he is from doing preseason and playing friendlies for them suggests, and he obviously speaks and understands english plus knows the Championship very well, then he is much more likely to walk straight in at cb than Jammal, younger and more potential notwithstanding...

I'd go for the bloke with International and European club experience in the past 12 months just as readily as the one who just won the league we're in.

The communication thing might be an issue at first, but Jemal looks like a quality player and Jaidi would get him up to speed on the language and football terminology quickly.