McDermott gone

DG

Tactically limited manager with one of the worst squads of players to every grace the premier league (only better than Blackpool's squad a few years ago).

Utterly mental sacking though, no chance someone can turn them round in 9 games.

You don't think Derby's side that put us out of the playoffs and then broke all Premier League records for crapness was worse than a Blackpool side that at least won games at the start of the season ?

I can still see NA at Leeds. Don't think what's happened today will have any bearing on where he will end up. Be a very brave/stupid manager who goes there so prob Di Canio is a good call. Interesting comment on a BBC page - of the 9 teams they have left to play they have only beaten 1 this season. Not looking good for them. 8-)

Nige has not been inactive. I am ITK in that respect by complete random accident. But if I told you how Tokyo would set Milton on me and send me to visit Bearsy.

Nige has not been inactive. I am ITK in that respect by complete random accident. But if I told you how Tokyo would set Milton on me and send me to visit Bearsy.

Another example of our sandpit dwelling golfer being ITK. If there is anything Duabi Phil isnt ITK about its not worth knowing.

Another example of our sandpit dwelling golfer being ITK. If there is anything Duabi Phil isnt ITK about its not worth knowing.

Oh the irony...how you squealed like a stuck pig a while back over one of your little ITK episodes. Such a shame this is my last post of the day because there is soon much mileage here!! Nice one Turdish.

I was playing in the Marshalls Golf Day at Abu Dhabi GC in January.

After the event we had a buffet & prize giving on the Clubhouse terrace.

Our section was roped off but an area was kept clear for normal people to use.

I saw a well dressed man stand up and greet a visitor in the normal people section. I did not think anything of it at the time except that it looked like someone going for a Job Interview by the way he was dressed and his Body Language. I was struck at the time the movements and mannerisms reminded me on NA. But of course, being a golf club in Abu Dhabi apart from the bearing, hair & the glasses and a side view I convinced myself no way it could be NA.

The man who met him was wearing a Golf Shirt, was shorter and had tidy close cropped grey hair. Again I thought nothing of it.

That EVENING when I got home there was a thread about NA to Huddersfield where an Udder tweeted that he had met NA & his wife in a bar in Dubai and that they were on vacation here. Another mate told me he had met a football manager in Trader Vics the night before "who was taking an extended vacation"

It subsequently dawned on me that I was a complete cock & that IF I had taken a photo of NA & this guy I could have sold the picture.

As such the next day I googled for images of football club Chairmen. First up I saw the guy was not the Udders boss. Then I looked up other possibilities and was horrified when I found a picture of the guy.

IF I had taken the photo I could have probably paid for the cost of my wedding.

Adkins met Randy Lerner.

Shortly afterwards Villa started to pick up points.

No, I did not go up to them, no I did not take a picture and yes of course I may be mistaken, but too many co-incidences came together at the same time

The story involved Golf so my apologies to Tokes.

Edited by dubai_phil

Madness this late in the season to sack a manager - the new boss has to come in, learn everyone's names, positions and nuances, and then be some sort of magician to keep them up. Following QPR's recent resurgence in form, I have Reading as finishing bottom under McDermott, and today's decision only confirms my thought that they'll be bottom in May. McDermott was probably the best person to get them promoted again, and now he's gone.

I'd be very surprised if Adkins goes there - no manager wants a relegation on his CV, even if it is to try and do a rescue job over the last 9 games of the season. This sacking should have been done much earlier if it was going to happen. I bet the plastic Reading fans will be arsed off tonight.

I'm not sure what Reading gain from this. In their predicament and with so little time left until the end of the season, there's surely no decent candidates that will want to come in and take them on. I thought the Adkins removal made little sense, given the timing. This is far worse.

In any case, I'm not sure what the chairman expects. They have one of the worst squads (if not the worst) in the division, and they spent very little on transfers. And this is only their 3rd season in their history of playing in the top division, so they're hardly an established name. Very odd.

I saw a well dressed man stand up and greet a visitor in the normal people section. I did not think anything of it at the time except that it looked like someone going for a Job Interview by the way he was dressed and his Body Language. I was struck at the time the movements and mannerisms reminded me on NA. But of course, being a golf club in Abu Dhabi apart from the bearing, hair & the glasses and a side view I convinced myself no way it could be NA.

The man who met him was wearing a Golf Shirt, was shorter and had tidy close cropped grey hair. Again I thought nothing of it.

That EVENING when I got home there was a thread about NA to Huddersfield where an Udder tweeted that he had met NA & his wife in a bar in Dubai and that they were on vacation here. Another mate told me he had met a football manager in Trader Vics the night before "who was taking an extended vacation"

It subsequently dawned on me that I was a complete cock & that IF I had taken a photo of NA & this guy I could have sold the picture.

As such the next day I googled for images of football club Chairmen. First up I saw the guy was not the Udders boss. Then I looked up other possibilities and was horrified when I found a picture of the guy.

Adkins met Randy Lerner.

No, I did not go up to them, no I did not take a picture and yes of course I may be mistaken, but too many co-incidences came together at the same time

Very interesting, thanks for sharing your story DS.

Not sure what Adkins could bring to that team that Lambet wasn't though. Their team is playing pretty much out their skin but just not very good.

Adkins met Randy Lerner.

So let me get this straight. You saw a bloke from a distance at a golf club in Abu Dabhi who you thought looked a bit like Nigel Adkins, this bloke was meeting someone who you didn't recognise but appeared to have been playing golf from the way he was dressed. A day later after googling football club chairman It turns out this bloke was Nigel Adkins and the bloke you didn't recognise that he was meeting the billionaire Aston Villa owner Randy learner. They met in the section set aside for "normal people" at this golf club, in public, on the day of a golf tournament making no attempt to keep their meeting a secret.

Yep, i'm convinced.

So let me get this straight. You saw a bloke from a distance at a golf club in Abu Dabhi who you thought looked a bit like Nigel Adkins, this bloke was meeting someone who you didn't recognise but appeared to have been playing golf from the way he was dressed. A day later after googling football club chairman It turns out this bloke was Nigel Adkins and the bloke you didn't recognise that he was meeting the billionaire Aston Villa owner Randy learner. They met in the section set aside for "normal people" at this golf club, in public, on the day of a golf tournament making no attempt to keep their meeting a secret.

Yep, i'm convinced.

No, you've misunderstood. He thought it was Adkins and then someone else said they'd met Adkins. In Dubai. It's hardly West Quay.

I'm convinced anyway, far too much detail.

Yep, i'm convinced.

I have spoken to three members of the current QPR first team squad who went to watch said tournament shortly after finishing hot weather training for the day at 9:15am.

They have confirmed to me that Dubai Phil was definitely at this hotel at the time he has said and was definitely looking at men.

Adkins met Randy Lerner.

I liked that one Phil, no celeb golfers buying you beer, no women throwing themselves at you and said golfer, and it had Nigel Atkinson and a man named Randy. 7 out of 10, well done Phil.

I have spoken to three members of the current QPR first team squad who went to watch said tournament shortly after finishing hot weather training for the day at 9:15am.

They have confirmed to me that Dubai Phil was definitely at this hotel at the time he has said and was definitely looking at men.

The meeting I saw was at 18:15 on 27th January.

QPR, Swansea Reading & Norwich all came to the UAE on or around 10th Feb.

HTH

The meeting I saw was at 18:15 on 27th January.

QPR, Swansea Reading & Norwich all came to the UAE on or around 10th Feb.

HTH

I think we will need EoA to dig out the visa entry info next time he is in the airport to confirm who did and didn't arrive and what dates it happened.

If EoA is on duty tonight can he make sure the Manila flight gets a good gate. I hate to much walking.

I think we will need EoA to dig out the visa entry info next time he is in the airport to confirm who did and didn't arrive and what dates it happened.

If EoA is on duty tonight can he make sure the Manila flight gets a good gate. I hate to much walking.

Ooh you may get the new train if you're lucky!

You walk miles to the train, then it drops you miles from the Lifts Then you walk miles to your gate through a Shopping Mall that is so cramped you have to carry your wheelie bag.

You don't think Derby's side that put us out of the playoffs and then broke all Premier League records for crapness was worse than a Blackpool side that at least won games at the start of the season ?

Blackpool was the only rubbish team I could think up off the top of my head, that Derby side and that Sunderland side Kelvin was the keeper for are down there with the worst premier league sides of all time now I give it a little more though.

The only reality is Reading have bought terribly, not put any money into staying up and are the propper "yoyo strategy team"

Blackpool was the only rubbish team I could think up off the top of my head, that Derby side and that Sunderland side Kelvin was the keeper for are down there with the worst premier league sides of all time now I give it a little more though.

The only reality is Reading have bought terribly, not put any money into staying up and are the propper "yoyo strategy team"

There are some merits to that strategy, though. Gradually build a team that improves year-on-year, gets experience every other year at the highest level and eventually they'll make it work. Or at least that's what West Brom have done over the last decade or so to good effect.

I am pretty sure De Canio lives near Coombe Lane near Richmond Park. I saw him there broken down last summer waving his arms around and stuff. It was pretty lols as he has a pretty good car obviously. I know it is a bit of a leap to assume that he lives there just because he was broken down near there but loads of footballers live in that area and there is pretty good access to the M4 for Swindon (or Reading I guess).

For those of you that think Reading are down, I suggest you think QPR. With the league so tight none of the bottom 7 teams are safe or indeed defo down at this stage.

They have 9 games left, 4 of which are against Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City.

They need 14 points to get to 37, which would possibly enough to stay up. Essentially barring them beating one of those big four they have 5 games to get 14 points, so essentially all 5 of those games are now 'must win'.

They have us at home, qpr at home, norwich away, fulham away and west ham away. Certainly they would have a shout of winning those games but avoiding defeat in all of them and winning at least 3? Tough ask for whoever the manager with their squad.

Getting beaten at home by two relegation rivals is what has cost him his job because a while back everyone was looking at their fixtures and they had 4 games, all at home against relegation rivals. Very good chances to pick up the wins to keep them up. However they have now wasted two of those.

Edited by tajjuk

I am pretty sure De Canio lives near Coombe Lane near Richmond Park. I saw him there broken down last summer waving his arms around and stuff. It was pretty lols as he has a pretty good car obviously.

I can just imagine him doing a Basil Fawlty and thrashing the car with a tree branch.

Interesting to note that McDermott took 10 points from his last 8 league games exactly the same as NA, but like NA that wasnt deemed good enough and they both got sacked.

Its MP's 8th league game on Saturday the maximum points return he can now achieve from these 8 games is 9.If we lose obviously that will mean only achieving a 6 point return.

• 5 weeks later...
Why didn't Adkins wait? Surely he can't think Reading are a better bet than Leeds?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

probably because he had some sort of deluded illusion about keeping them up. Probably didn't count on them losing their first 2 games under his tenancy. Poyet turned them down, others probably did as well, Adkins fancied the job.