Michael Owen

JustMike

Was a quality player but didn't have the drive to play regular games for smaller clubs in his last few years (or maybe it was ego). Instead he prefered to sit on the bench week after week. He retired years ago as far as I am concerned.

He's played for Stoke in the last year...before that Man U!!

He hasn't been fit to play for seven years but he took the money for his gambling, his real interest is the gee gees

Yeah, this! He has been a joke for the last few years and its funny how clubs like Stoke took him on. He has not been serious about playing for years, as someone said, he retired years ago.

I don't owe him a round of applause but he doesn't deserve anything negative either, He could have been a contender!

Another player who promised so much, yet delivered very little.

Relatively! He could have delivered so much more (as one of the best centre forwards in the world) but to say he didn't do anything is a bit silly.

It's a sad day, not for the end of his football career but for the real start of his punditry career. One of the worst I've ever seen, but I'll applaud him off.

Another player who promised so much, yet delivered very little.

Yet somehow managed to deliver so much more than most English professional footballers in history.

FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Premier league title, Ballon D'Or, Premier league golden boot, 10th most capped English player, only English player to play in 4 major tournaments, 2nd most goals for England.

Proud to read Saints supporters today will recognise the legend who was Michael Owen by a round of applause. In his youth he was incredible but sadly his career is a warning to young players overdoing things before their bodies, muscles, bones catch up.

He's wasted the last 8 years.

When he left Newcastle, he chased the money at United, then was too proud to drop to the Championship after United.

Was such a good player in his early years though.

Yep he certainly will be getting a warm send off from me,even though his career didn't probably pan out the way it should have he certainly made a huge impact to the English game in general.

As usual he was probably thrust into the big time too young and this contributed to his injuries later in life,I also suspect that the love of money and horse racing probably contributed to his lack of hunger and passion he possessed when he started out.

All the same,good luck and thank you Michael Owen.

Have nothing against Owen, not sure why there is some bitterness in some quarters. In his younger years he was one of the best strikers in Europe, I think most people assumed he'd go on and become even better, but the reality is that he peaked at around 24/25. It's been an incredibly fast decline since then.

He relied a lot on his pace and without that he struggled to make the moves and get away as he used to, the thigh injuries especially completely killed him - which is what often happens with ''quick'' players. I think he tried to adapt his game, but he never managed it and was never as effective without that yard of pace.

Gave me some good memories in my teens though, against Argentina in the world cup, winning the penality against Brazil in 2002, the goal against Portugal in 2004. He never quite reached the heights of the likes of Beckham, Scholes et all - but will still be fondly remembered by most English football fans.

Owen received a standing ovation from all four corners of the ground as he left the field at the final whistle, calling time on a career that has taken him from Liverpool to Real Madrid, Newcastle, Manchester United and Stoke.

Really!! thought I was just applauding Saints off at the final whistle.

Have nothing against Owen, not sure why there is some bitterness in some quarters. In his younger years he was one of the best strikers in Europe, I think most people assumed he'd go on and become even better, but the reality is that he peaked at around 24/25. It's been an incredibly fast decline since then.

He relied a lot on his pace and without that he struggled to make the moves and get away as he used to, the thigh injuries especially completely killed him - which is what often happens with ''quick'' players. I think he tried to adapt his game, but he never managed it and was never as effective without that yard of pace.

Gave me some good memories in my teens though, against Argentina in the world cup, winning the penality against Brazil in 2002, the goal against Portugal in 2004. He never quite reached the heights of the likes of Beckham, Scholes et all - but will still be fondly remembered by most English football fans.

On the BBC site paying tribute to Becks, they have a 5 min vid of the 1-0 win v the argies. Owen looks unplayable in a few moves. Such pace. I had forgotten how good he was back then. That vid has a few clips of MP. Apart from the obvious pen, he almost equalised with a header cleared off the line. Watching England at that time, I remember thinking they weren't very good, but compared to the present team, they were awesome.

I remember MO crawling off the pitch in agony v Sweden 2006 - very sad to see.

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts

yes, he should have been England's all time top scorer and the PL's top scorer. Yet for the past 8 years has been nothing more than a sicknote with the odd glimpse of what used to be

well try looking at the 10 years previous to that....why do some fans have such short memories!?!?!?

Here's a clue as you obviously need it (provided by Batterseasaint above).F A Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Premier league title, Ballon D'Or, Premier league golden boot, 10th most capped English player, only English player to play in 4 major tournaments, 2nd most goals for England.

On the BBC site paying tribute to Becks, they have a 5 min vid of the 1-0 win v the argies. Owen looks unplayable in a few moves. Such pace. I had forgotten how good he was back then. That vid has a few clips of MP. Apart from the obvious pen, he almost equalised with a header cleared off the line. Watching England at that time, I remember thinking they weren't very good, but compared to the present team, they were awesome.

I remember MO crawling off the pitch in agony v Sweden 2006 - very sad to see.

It also sort of summed him up as a bloke and player. Didn't make a huge fuss, he just rolled himself off the pitch. So many players roll around and around and around, just because they've lost a toe nail. He is kind of similar to Scholes, in that I don't think he lived up the limelight as such - very much a keep himself to himself sort of guy.

Tweet just posted by him

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen2h

Special word for the Southampton fans too. To be clapped off by a whole stadium was amazing.

He did have a few touches, but he struggled to do much with the constant hoofs.

To my recollection he touched it twice in the entire time he was on the pitch, both short passes near the halfway line, plus that air shot.

According to whoscored.com he had 3 touches, including one shot, so they must be being VERY generous with his air shot. 100% pass accuracy though. :D

How many songs did we sing today for any of our players versus 3 or 4 for Owen? Ridiculous.

We sang loads of Saints player songs, and I heard "One Michael Owen" twice, when his name was read out at the start, and when he came on.

We sang loads of Saints player songs, and I heard "One Michael Owen" twice, when his name was read out at the start, and when he came on.
Was also sung during the game and at the end of the match, so I make that three times at least. How many times was Jay Rodrgiuez's song sang? Or Luke Shaw's?

Was also sung during the game, so I make that three times. How many times was Jay Rodrgiuez song sang? Or Luke Shaw's?

Luke Shaw had to endure that terrible "Hey Jude" song at least twice that I heard, plus ongoing "Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke"s. Rodriguez' song was sung once that I heard. There was at least one "Super Kelv" and a "Kelvin give us a wave", there was a "RLSGM" when he scored, a "Morgan Schneiderlin lalalalala", even a "Jose Fonte Baby" at one point. "Puncheon Sh11ts when he wants" got a few outings when he came on, "Adam Lallana" when he took some corners, is this enough yet ?

Aside from that, we sang at least 5 times about Markus Liebherr, and that terrible Cortese song a few times too, plus the equally gash This Is How It Feels hugely overdone with the manager's name too, in amongst all the Skate-baiting, OWTSGMI and WTFILN.