Ron Davies 1942-2013

Gemmel

Gutted to hear the news...my favourite player from that era. Sad to say he has been criminally written out of English Football because, I suppose, he played most of his top flight games for an unfashionable club. Try to find video footage of "Big Ron" at the top of his game and you'll not find much...just the two clips from the game in 1969 when he scored all four goals against Man United at Old Trafford.

I was so annoyed to find even those clips went missing on YouTube a few years ago that I contacted "Fitzhugh Fella" to see if we could resurrect the video clip somehow. He sent me a VHS video and although I wasn't able to convert the video for YouTube upload, with the assistance of a mate's video camera we refilmed it off my PC screen, hence the poor quality for the "YouTube" footage. However here are the links for those who haven't found them yet.

Part 1 – Edited highlights

Part 2 – Big Match Interview

RIP Big Ron...I don't expect to see a better header of the ball in my lifetime.:cry:

I was privileged to see him many times during that seven year spell at the Dell and he seldom, if ever, disappointed. Not for him the rewards of today's top players who might just bow their heads for a moment in his honour. Thank you Ron.

I feel privileged to have seen him play for us when I was in my early teens. One of the greatest players ever to play for Saints in my opinion. I always hoped that one day the club would make him a guest of honour at St Mary's so the fans could show their appreciation. Sadly, never to be. R.I.P. Big Ron

Ron was every schoolboy's hero, he was THE quintessential centre forward, huge leap and hang time and bullet headers, but some of his best goals were with his feet. Big Ron gave us credibility in the top division, we were just promoted but had a genuine superstar that other clubs feared and in some ways we are what we are today because Ted had the vision to sign this great player (before he was so). Ron was our Roy of the Rovers and should never be forgotten at this football club. RIP big fella.

A sad day for us who saw him play, and impossible to find words to describe him... for those who didn't... What can one say...... Rickie Lambert ?.....and a lot more, too.

A true legend - although famed for his headers, he was pretty useful on the ground too and his goal tally included quite a few well-placed penalties.

Great shame there weren't more videos in that era to see him in action, but the scratchy old ITV film of his 4 goal-annihilation of Man.U...(1969) shows the ease with which he could find space and score with such apparant ease.

His first seasons' 37 League goals put him clear of all the top ENGLISH international stars of the day.

RIP Ron -thanks for the memory.

Edited by david in sweden

Can't believe it. How did it come to this for him? Hip ops went well, only a year ago there was talk of getting him over to St Marys. Who was the poster in the states who kept in touch with him - does he still post?

Devastating. Absolutely gutted. RIP for one of the greatest players of the sixties, a humble and gracious man.

I was but a kid, but I count myself lucky enough to have seen him play.

Like most Saints-supporting kids of that age, he was my hero.

I was there in the flesh when he scored four at Stamford Bridge in a 6-2 win and in the same way Le Tissier almost single-handedly kept Saints up in some seasons, Ron's goals performed a similar feat in the early, fledgling days in the old First Division.

Although the win at Old Trafford was hailed as his greatest game, to really see his awesome power in the air, you need to see him in action for Wales in a 3-5 defeat to Scotland at Wrexham back in the 70s.

It is in the BBC archives somewhere, but I can't find it on Youtube anywhere.

And while he may have been noted for his aerial prowess, he was certainly no mug on the deck

A sad, sad day.

I remember that Wales game. Amazing goals. Love to see them again.

In case you missed this, I want to draw attention to something lifeintheslowlane posted above (post #53). His second video clip "Big Match Interview" features Jimmy Hill interviewing Ron Davies about the Game in 1969 (August 16th.) when he scored 4 -or was it 3? [see the clip] - against Manchester United.

Edited by Hamilton Saint
spelling mistake

Can't believe it. How did it come to this for him? Hip ops went well, only a year ago there was talk of getting him over to St Marys. Who was the poster in the states who kept in touch with him - does he still post?

Devastating. Absolutely gutted. RIP for one of the greatest players of the sixties, a humble and gracious man.

That was Tijuana Tim.

This is terrible news, can't believe Big Ron has gone

The Greatest Centre Forward the World Has Ever Seen

I'm welling up here having just found out. Tragedy is that the Club never did do what it should have done and properly honoured one of the all time greats, now we never can. I truly hoped that the Club would get him over for one last visit so that all the nippers of today might get to see him one more time.

Another hero gone. Not many left. OK, stopping now before I get too soppy.

Thanks for all the memories Ron.

Absolute legend.

Sing:-

His name was Ronnie Davies he's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward that the world has ever seen

You always can rely on him to score the vital goal

And as for ???? you can stick 'im up yer 'ole

la la la laaa la la la laa la la la la la la laa etc.

Fond memories of Ron when the Dell rocked.

R.I.P. Ron

Martin, Kirkup, Hollywood; Fisher, McGrath, Gabriel; Paine, Channon, DAVIES, O'Neill, Jenkins.

Always remember that team, he was my first Dell hero who I tried to emulate his heading skills. very sad, too young.

The word "legend" gets used far too frequently these days in the world of football. In the case of Big Ron however - never has it been more fitting to have been labelled with the tag. He really was a club legend in the true sense of the word. RIP Ron. Thanks for the memories.

Very sad.

I was born in 66 so too young to remember him but my older brothers (born 57 & 60) used to tell me as a kid how he could head the ball.

I watched the youtube clip of him scoring 4 goals vs Man Utd

Made me think of Rickie and great back post headers.

RIP

Like many others, I was a fortunate little boy who got to see Ron play at the Dell

Always on the end of John Sydenhams crosses .

He was my first real Saints hero and my 44 year old bar scarf still has his name sewn on it by my mother, who I pestered until she agreed !

Hope the club find a suitable way of paying tribute to a Legend.

God Bless Ron

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})