Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

On 28/02/2023 at 18:11, DT said:

Is there any possibility that the reason we keep playing the useless Janny B is because he has something weird in his contract like 'must play when fit' or is that always balls? I'm struggling to think of any possible reason why Selles likes him, and wonder if that was a condition of his recall from Villa. If he plays any more I think that a) we are definitely down and b) there is way too much control of players beyond the manager, which always means trouble

For me, we need to install Caleta Car in as the first name in the defence, alongside Bella-Kotchap, with Perraud and KWP. That's a decent defence. Build from that. Can't see any way we can avoid leaking goals like a sieve without it. Maybe even get Willy in in goal for a bit as Bazanu's confidence must be all over the place.

Some good points here DT,  but JB is the most inconsistent player in the club.  He often does a very good job, but on a bad day he's a real liability.

Likewise ABK gives standout personal performances, but he doesn't always seem to know where his defensive partners are.....

Stats. show that Salisu often DAJFU, but he can't seem to find a good CB partner. 

Caleta-Car is good, but should never have retaliated. The Grimsby player provoked him, then went down like a tree which was enough to earn the penalty. 

Lyanco can give out some stick,(ala Romeu), but is something of a " loose cannon" and I am always fearing that his next tackle might earn a yellow.

I also like KWP and Perraud  as first choice full backs, but Maitland-Niles has shown up well in some recent games and deserves a starting place.

Few goalies are perfect, but dropping Bazunu now would kill his confidence.  He must learn to play against the Man.United's and Tottenham's

in this league if he is to become a real Prem. keeper, and whilst Caballero might do well in an emergency - Bazunu is " the future" and (not Willy). 

Edited by david in sweden

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Some good points here DT,  but JB is the most inconsistent player in the club.  He often does a very good job, but on a bad day he's a real liability.

Likewise ABK gives standout personal performances, but he doesn't always seem to know where his defensive partners are.....

Stats. show that Salisu often DAJFU, but he can't seem to find a good CB partner. 

Caleta-Car is good, but should never have retaliated. The Grimsby player provoked him, then went down like a tree which was enough to earn the penalty. 

Lyanco can give out some stick,(ala Romeu), but is something of a " loose cannon" and I am always fearing that his next tackle might earn a yellow.

I also like KWP and Perraud  as first choice full backs, but Maitland-Niles has shown up well in some recent games and deserves a starting place.

Few goalies are perfect, but dropping Bazunu now would kill his confidence.  He must learn to play against the Man.United's and Tottenham's

in this league if he is to become a real Prem. keeper, and whilst Caballero might do well in an emergency - Bazunu is " the future" and (not Willy). 

Caballero is a proven Premiership standard goalkeeper, Bazunu is not. Forget the 'future', we need solidity now. Our Premiership survival is at stake. Bazunu made two absolute howlers yesterday that could've cost us even more points than he's already cost us this season. Caballero talks and marshals the defence whereas Bazunu makes players in front of him (and fans) nervous. Time to take him out of the firing line and give everyone's nerves a rest.

Edited by Viking Saint
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

Ornstein in The Athletic saying that Salisu isn't injured but lacks commitment. I guess that's the last we've seen of him in a Saints shirt then. Disappointing if true. 

just shows how difficult it is to manage these players and their contracts. How many of us would have complained if Newcastle's £40m offer 15 months ago had been accepted (assuming it was genuine)? But on reflection we should have taken it as he has underperformed since.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

unless we gave another contract without announcing it......[shudder].

All I know is that there is one on the table for him, and it still is there - up to him to sign it, but he wanted to wait until the end of the season. I find it absolutely criminal that there is even an offer on the table tbh - whoever made that call needs dumping.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

All I know is that there is one on the table for him, and it still is there - up to him to sign it, but he wanted to wait until the end of the season. I find it absolutely criminal that there is even an offer on the table tbh - whoever made that call needs dumping.

Probably the same idiot who thought giving Djenpo another one was a good idea.

On 10/04/2023 at 13:52, S-Clarke said:

On 10/04/2023 at 14:52, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Probably the same idiot who thought giving Djenpo another one was a good idea.

I would have thought Ralph would have made the decisions/recommendations. And he has been dumped.

On 10/04/2023 at 11:17, Chez said:

unless we gave another contract without announcing it......[shudder].

Any Prem. player who has experienced International football will want to keep his stock high and not drop down a division, AND a salary scale.

LIfe at the top can be precarious and while we may offer new contracts to some,  I think some agents already have  a Plan B - if Saints get relegated.

As I wrote before, Those " class acts " ....JWP, Lavia,  KWP,  Salisu  and ABK  won't be short of interested suitors and may well move during the summer.

Elyounoussi may join Redmond at Besiktas in Turkey (?), whilst I'd keep Walcott and Caballero for another year (if only for the value of their experience).

Adam Armstrong and Che Adams will be in demand elsewhere, and " as good as they maybe" , I don't see them "suddenly" finding form in the Saints set-up.

The likes of Djenepo and Aribo  (who have been demoted to the bench), would likely run riot against some Championship defences.

Hopefully, the new crop of youngsters might do well in their second season, whilst the likes of  Ballard, Doyle and Payne - who show talent far

above their age group - would certainly develop quicker playing at a lower level.

We have a number of others away on loan and both Tella and Smallbone have made a good impression in their performances with Championship clubs . 

Jack Stephens (currently loaned to Bournemouth) is under contract to Saints until 2025 (?) and might well be back , unless he moves to B'mouth

permanently,(?) .. or even moves back to his home town Plymouth side (?) ...who may also be a Championship side by next season.

Obviously we might survive in a  " The Great Escape " scenario again, but in all honesty I don't see this squad avoiding a similar fate next season,

despite having already spent 150 million in the last year, but to little effect. 

Relegation would give us +/- another 100 million in transfer fess / reducing the salary bill, and give our younger talents a chance to show up well .

Neither survival , or relegation seems like  a good solution a.t.m. - but for totally different reasons.

57 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Salisu who looks like he would add to our team frozen out because he won't sign a contract. Moi the one who looks frozen in place also won't sign a new contract. Yeah, the people running this club are football geniuses.

Slightly different scenarios, one wants to play and the other doesn’t.

• Like 3

On 01/05/2023 at 15:33, InvictaSaint said:

Silver linings and all that….

IMG_5069.jpeg

Not hard to understand.   For someone his age who's already played in several countries, and enjoys  Prem. level salaries  

and will find it hard to keep his international status  if he ends up playing  in the Championship .    I'd say it's  a "no-brainer " . 

13 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Not hard to understand.   For someone his age who's already played in several countries, and enjoys  Prem. level salaries  

and will find it hard to keep his international status  if he ends up playing  in the Championship .    I'd say it's  a "no-brainer " . 

plus he's on a free, so an attractive proposition to other teams which will help him get a better salary. He's not as bad as everyone makes out, but he certainly wont be missed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Fedel Ross-Lang first to announce his departure this summer via Instagram.

the first of the double barrel names to fall. I wonder how many more we will lose this summer.

On 15/05/2023 at 07:09, SuperSAINT said:

No idea, but Moi leaving has been the most obvious story for about 12 months.

You're right, but I'll still be off to the pub when the released and retained list confirms it. It's almost impressive, but I simply cannot believe he has managed to hang around long enough to clock up 87 appearances for us. What a symptom of our malaise since 2018.

• Like 1

I’m really starting to think that Theo might be worth a one year contract. He still has pace, has bags of experience and could help some of the youngsters adjust to the Championship. Perhaps could even transition to a player-coach role and become part of the coaching set-up? 

Edited by SW11_Saint
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SW11_Saint said:

I’m really starting to think that Theo might be worth a one year contract. He still has pace, has bags of experience and could help some of the youngsters adjust to the Championship. Perhaps could even transition to a player-coach role and become part of the coaching set-up? 

Also helped by the lack of VAR next season, so some of these early runs where he scores offside might actually count

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

If rumours of dressing room standards are true, Theo could do nothing to impose the standards we should have had as basics, let alone those he would have experienced elsewhere.

He was a high earner, that we were trying to move on. It would have to be a heck of a lot less for us to be picking him up for the Championship. There may even be some residual desire to get shot of him now, since they couldn't before.

Despite looking like one of our brighter players recently, it's an incredibly low bar.

It would be tough to say his time with us has been a success for any party.

No idea if he's interested in coaching badges, but we could do without coaching passengers when doing our staff clear out.

Sure he's a lovely bloke, and still has skill, but it would have to be a cracking deal for us in terms of wages, to sign him again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

If rumours of dressing room standards are true, Theo could do nothing to impose the standards we should have had as basics, let alone those he would have experienced elsewhere.

He was a high earner, that we were trying to move on. It would have to be a heck of a lot less for us to be picking him up for the Championship. There may even be some residual desire to get shot of him now, since they couldn't before.

Despite looking like one of our brighter players recently, it's an incredibly low bar.

No idea if he's interested in coaching badges, but we could do without coaching passengers when doing our staff clear out.

Sure he's a lovely bloke, and still has skill, but it would have to be a cracking deal for us in terms of wages, to sign him again.

Yes of course, it would have to be on vastly reduced terms. No idea who Martin will bring with him, or if space in the coaching staff. Just a thought…

4 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

Yes of course, it would have to be on vastly reduced terms. No idea who Martin will bring with him, or if space in the coaching staff. Just a thought…

Yeah, and not knocking your opinion on it at all. Just letting my inner voice get typed. 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Given that he is out of contract, whatever he is on now or has been on is irrelevant. His current option is unemployment, so a very low offer might be tempting (given he is already (or at least should be, a very rich man).  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Given that he is out of contract, whatever he is on now or has been on is irrelevant. His current option is unemployment, so a very low offer might be tempting (given he is already (or at least should be, a very rich man).  

I was thinking that, as a free agent, he'd get better offers from somewher than what we should be paying him in the Championship. Perhaps he will be more willing because of club connections, but he could just as easily leave this basket case for somewhere abroad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Yep. £20k a week is a hell of a pay cut, but still gives him £1m pre tax for a years work. Personally I'd keep for a year on sensible wages. We'll need some maturity in the changing room if the likes of Stu, JWP, KWP, Bednarek, Ely, McCarthy, etc, move on. 

• Like 2

On 23/05/2023 at 21:26, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I was thinking that, as a free agent, he'd get better offers from somewher than what we should be paying him in the Championship. Perhaps he will be more willing because of club connections, but he could just as easily leave this basket case for somewhere abroad.

I’d be looking for a couple of years in the MLS if I was Theo, easy money to live somewhere nice and wind down his career.  Then retire into punditry, he’s always been well spoken and come across well in interviews etc and he still has the hint of star dust.

On 31/05/2023 at 21:51, Whitey Grandad said:

Interesting stats.    Only a very few at the top end of these charts get between 35K and 50K /week.    The average is well under 30K.

Swansea's highest paid player is Oliver Ntcham  27K /week , and both Joe Allen and Kyle Naughton are well into their thirties and get around 20k /week.

Players like the rumoured signings who might move with Russel Martin;  Matt Grimes and Joel PIroe ....get just around 12,000 /week. 

They surely wouldn't object to a wage hike to 15-20K /week - if they move when Martin eventually arrives. 

Taken from the OS:

Two senior players are departing, with Theo Walcott and Mohamed Elyounoussi’s contracts expiring at the end of June....

...Experienced goalkeeper Willy Caballero is also approaching the end of his current agreement, but talks are ongoing around a potential new deal.

Outside of the current first-team squad, the club has also confirmed the following players on professional contracts will leave this summer:

• Goran Babic

• Sam Bellis

• Matthew Hall

• Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo

• Leon Pambou

• Fedel Ross-Lang

• Jak Stewart

• Will Tizzard

• Jack Turner

• Caleb Watts

The club would also like to express its thanks to each of those players and wish them well for their future.

3 hours ago, disconnect said:

Taken from the OS:

Two senior players are departing, with Theo Walcott and Mohamed Elyounoussi’s contracts expiring at the end of June....

...Experienced goalkeeper Willy Caballero is also approaching the end of his current agreement, but talks are ongoing around a potential new deal.

Outside of the current first-team squad, the club has also confirmed the following players on professional contracts will leave this summer:

• Goran Babic

• Sam Bellis

• Matthew Hall

• Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo

• Leon Pambou

• Fedel Ross-Lang

• Jak Stewart

• Will Tizzard

• Jack Turner

• Caleb Watts

The club would also like to express its thanks to each of those players and wish them well for their future.

No great surprises, I suppose. I think Babic was very highly rated at one time, but he's had a lot of injuries.

• Like 1

Thanks - I now feel even older!

I've updated the opening post with the retained list news.  It is incomplete because nothing was announced about 2nd/3rd year scholars (9 of them) and about contracts for those pros out of contract.  But I'll update if and when further info comes to light - the club does increasingly like to play things close to its chest so getting 100% up to date info is increasingly difficult.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, disconnect said:

Taken from the OS:

• Goran Babic

• Sam Bellis

• Matthew Hall

• Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo

• Leon Pambou

• Fedel Ross-Lang

• Jak Stewart

• Will Tizzard

• Jack Turner

• Caleb Watts

Does that mean the following (who were on the 2023 list) have new (but unannounced) contracts:

• Oliver Wright*
  • Will Armitage*
  • Olly Lancashire
  • Sam Bailey
  • Ryan Finnigan
  • Luke Pearce*

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

Coming up to the 10 year Threadaversary

Hats off to @Over land and sea for keeping this up together and accurate.

Absolutely well said.  A brilliant thread.

1 hour ago, Over land and sea said:

Thanks - I now feel even older!

I've updated the opening post with the retained list news.  It is incomplete because nothing was announced about 2nd/3rd year scholars (9 of them) and about contracts for those pros out of contract.  But I'll update if and when further info comes to light - the club does increasingly like to play things close to its chest so getting 100% up to date info is increasingly difficult.

Believe Woods, Chavez-Munoz & Rylee Wright are leaving (but not confirmed).  They never update non-pro's which is annoying so it's hard to know for sure until you get to see those 25-man squad lists.