Saints v Swansea - Build Up

Batman

Going to be a good game. they play some cracking stuff and no doubt we will see more pressing in this game.

Michu is bang on form again.

they have a brilliant manager

really looking forward to this one. Wonder what sort of team they will put out in the europa league on tuesday

Going to be a good game. they play some cracking stuff and no doubt we will see more pressing in this game.

Michu is bang on form again.

they have a brilliant manager

really looking forward to this one. Wonder what sort of team they will put out in the europa league on tuesday

Thursday isn't it ? Watched them against the Arse yesterday, not that great and riddled with defensive errors but in their defence I think they had a weakened side out. Dyer runs fast but mainly down dead end streets. Michu is a constant threat but

Mertesacker and Koscielny had him well under control.

They're a good team that play some good football. I'd say we're better defensively but they edge the attacking side of the game. To that end I think we'll nullify each other's threat.

0-0, although one moment of genius could win it from either side.

Thursday isn't it ? Watched them against the Arse yesterday, not that great and riddled with defensive errors but in their defence I think they had a weakened side out. Dyer runs fast but mainly down dead end streets. Michu is a constant threat but

Mertesacker and Koscielny had him well under control.

They're at home on Thursday against FC Gallen, currently fourth in the Swiss Super League behind Grasshoppers, FC Basel and the deliciously-named Young Boys. To me it sounds like the sort of fixture where you'd expect to be able to rest a few legs.

Despite our league position I think it's actually been a very mixed start to the season from us. defensively good which is a good sign for the Swansea game who I think are excellent going forward , but for me 3 of our 6 league games have been below par, and we'll look back later in the season at Sunderland and West Ham at home and see them as points dropped.

Swansea have already played 5 games in Europa league this season and I hope they'll put out a strong team on Thursday picking up some knocks (Michu) having rested a few players at Birmingham in the league cup and coming unstuck in a 3-0 defeat.

I still feel we are too slow attacking sides and our midfield is static , hopefully Swansea attack us leaving more space.

We haven't been playing well yet in my opinion, but are 5th. Swansea will be an interesting game as they won't come to shut up shop like most at St Marys have.

I think we need to get the midfield pinging the ball around a bit quicker, like they did for 5 mins on Sat. Would go with the same team apart from Gaston coming in for Davies.

Hope we can sell a few more tickets

Over 3,000 left at the moment , more than 4,000 if you included Block 44 which I think will be available if necessary for Saints fans

This should be a really good game, Swansea are a good team to watch and this will be a real test for us

I like Swansea.

They have a good story in recent years. They have a good team. Some very good individuals. An all round class act for a manager. And most of all, they play some really good football.

Hopefully it will be a good game. Haven't been able to watch the last two games, so wondering if I should swerve this one?

Obviously hoping we win, and I think we can, but don't think a draw would be a bad result (certainly not suggesting we play for a draw though).

PL-Twitter-Icon_normal.jpgPremier League@premierleague

Mike Dean has been appointed referee for Southampton v Swansea City on 6/10/13 #SOUSWA

Had Spurs -Chelsea on Saturday, not overly impressed, he had no reason whatsoever to send Torres off as the second yellow was totally erroneous. However he could have sent him off for the first incident and Vertonghen with him. Then Vertonghen should have gone for the second but not Torres. If he'd sent them both off when he might have done he'd have been more right.

Looking forward to a good one between evenly matched sides who try to play in the true spirit of the game ! (ie. not like WHU, Sunderland and Palace!).

We should have a slight advantage given that they play on Thurs evening, it's an early k/o on Sunday and we are the home side !!

3-1 Saints (Oz, Ads and JRod) :)

Swansea's midfield looks very strong to me, and they'll be a threat going forward. I have a feeling we'll probably lose this one, but it'll be a tight 2-1 type affair.

For what it's worth i'd like to see a midfield three of cork, wanyama and morgan, just to tighten up a bit against a team we know will hit us through their midfield.

Swansea's midfield looks very strong to me, and they'll be a threat going forward. I have a feeling we'll probably lose this one, but it'll be a tight 2-1 type affair.

For what it's worth i'd like to see a midfield three of cork, wanyama and morgan, just to tighten up a bit against a team we know will hit us through their midfield.

Isn't that what we had against Palace ? Wanyama, Davis and Morgan . Trouble is it ended up all skewwhiff in the first half, Davis was dropping back into his usual slot and Morgan had to go forward to avoid them all falling over each other's feet but the roles should have been reversed. Wanyama doesn't seem to like to pass square,it's forward or back, he only has 2 gears in the box so it's no point putting a player either side of him because he won't pass to them, he also seems to like being plumb dead central all of the time which leaves a gap on one side or the other, don't think his spatial awareness is all that good of yet, certainly not as god as Cork's.

Isn't that what we had against Palace ? Wanyama, Davis and Morgan . Trouble is it ended up all skewwhiff in the first half, Davis was dropping back into his usual slot and Morgan had to go forward to avoid them all falling over each other's feet but the roles should have been reversed. Wanyama doesn't seem to like to pass square,it's forward or back, he only has 2 gears in the box so it's no point putting a player either side of him because he won't pass to them, he also seems to like being plumb dead central all of the time which leaves a gap on one side or the other, don't think his spatial awareness is all that good of yet, certainly not as god as Cork's.

Davis was playing on the left for the majority of the first half, then Lallana and Davis swapped and he went on the right. Lambert and Osvaldo alternated as to which dropped off.

He struggled as his job was no longer just getting it and passing it on. He actually had to do something with it which isn't his game. He just keeps things ticking over with shirt passes.

Tough game this against an excellent footballing side but an opponent that should suit us. Having said that, Swansea were one of the poorest teams I saw at St Mary's last season and other than the goal Gazzaniga gifted to them I don't recall them having another effort on goal. That was one tense afternoon, the start of our season really and the roof properly came off when Morgan scored.

I think we'll edge this 2-1. Swansea play again Thursday and by the time next Sunday comes they'd have played 6 games in just under 3 weeks, whereas we'd have played 4. So we should be a bit more fresher than they are and the more Osvaldo gels into the team the better I think we'll get.

Looking at this weekend's fixtures I would say we need to win to stay in the upper echelons of the league as all the top teams will get points imo. We need to be winning these games if the ideal is to finish top 8, Swansea haven't been all that lately.

0-0 draw. Two teams cancel each other out trying to control possession. Small crowd and poor atmosphere on a Sunday lunchtime.

don't see it being 0-0, Swansea looked a bit fragile at the back against the Arse, then again they were missing Ashley Willams and his replacement looked a bit erratic.

I think they play a more attacking style than us, to be honest. Our slow build up play from Wanyama and tight defence (joint best defence in league) hides our lack of goalscoring. Worried about Michu, but reckon we'll get a 1-1 draw.

I think they play a more attacking style than us, to be honest. Our slow build up play from Wanyama and tight defence (joint best defence in league) hides our lack of goalscoring. Worried about Michu, but reckon we'll get a 1-1 draw.

The slow build up play (via Wanyama) is the cause of our lack of goalscoring. When we quicken the tempo and introduce Gaston we will be fine. But as I have said before, statistically conceding no goals earns more points than scoring two goals in the history of the EPL.

Amazing that this build up thread is so quiet, I swear they're normally into double figures for pages by now when we're struggling.
When we're struggling I guess there is more to discuss re what needs to be changed/improved, not too much to comment on in that regard at the moment.

Back 5 and two CMs we know what we're getting there; I think MP will still go with Lambert and Osvaldo together up top for now, especially after they both scored last week; Lallana will start; which leaves one question - who out of Davis, Ramirez and Rodriguez should start?

They all have their plusses and minuses; Davis can press their passing game well, keeps possession well which will be vital against Swansea and I think will form part of MP's focus for the game, negatives against him are he plays it a bit safe, lacks enough of a creative spark or goal scoring threat for such a role; Rodriguez - again, good at the pressing game and should stop Swansea having time to build from the back, offers us something a bit different with some direct running with the ball, negatives are gives the ball away at times, not the greatest passer or most composed finisher; Ramirez - potentially most creative member of squad and possibly what we've been lacking in terms of us moving the ball smoothly from midfield possession to goal scoring opportunities and may create something out of nothing against a stubborn defence, negatives are he can give the ball away too easily and is then not as good as the other two at winning it back and I really can't see us going with a front four of Lambert, Osvaldo, Lallana and Ramirez, as entertaining as that would be. Hard one to call really.

When we're struggling I guess there is more to discuss re what needs to be changed/improved, not too much to comment on in that regard at the moment.

Back 5 and two CMs we know what we're getting there; I think MP will still go with Lambert and Osvaldo together up top for now, especially after they both scored last week; Lallana will start; which leaves one question - who out of Davis, Ramirez and Rodriguez should start?

They all have their plusses and minuses; Davis can press their passing game well, keeps possession well which will be vital against Swansea and I think will form part of MP's focus for the game, negatives against him are he plays it a bit safe, lacks enough of a creative spark or goal scoring threat for such a role; Rodriguez - again, good at the pressing game and should stop Swansea having time to build from the back, offers us something a bit different with some direct running with the ball, negatives are gives the ball away at times, not the greatest passer or most composed finisher; Ramirez - potentially most creative member of squad and possibly what we've been lacking in terms of us moving the ball smoothly from midfield possession to goal scoring opportunities and may create something out of nothing against a stubborn defence, negatives are he can give the ball away too easily and is then not as good as the other two at winning it back and I really can't see us going with a front four of Lambert, Osvaldo, Lallana and Ramirez, as entertaining as that would be. Hard one to call really.

It's JRod for me. He will run all game long, constantly putting them under pressure and not giving them the time they need. So long as we have Big Vic and Morgan behind to press forward a bit and do the tough stuff, defensively we should be OK.

0-0 draw. Two teams cancel each other out trying to control possession. Small crowd and poor atmosphere on a Sunday lunchtime.

2-1 to Saints. Great crowd and atmosphere. Very competitive game but Saints better fitness wins out.

I was due to be in Reyjkavik with work this weekend and was gutted I was missing this one given our similar style of play to Swansea.

However, the footballing Gods have prevailed and the trip was cancelled yesterday!

Therefore I'm looking forward to us building on our recent home performances and beating Swansea 2-1 with a late Osvaldo winner. My gambling head says that this game is likely to be a draw though!

Think you're being a bit harsh on Davis, he's a pretty decent goal scoring threat.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Davis, he's a pretty decent goal scoring threat.
Maybe you're right, I do like Davis and one could argue there isn't as much pressure on the attacking midfielders to score if we've got two strikers playing that are likely to contribute goals, than just the one.