How many of our boys will go to Brazil?

Bad Wolf

England players wise....

Clyne, Chambers, Cork, J-Rod, Lambert, JWP, Lallana, Shaw could quite easily go!

Might be too soon for Chambers, JWP and Shaw of course but I'd take the rest. Cork deserves a go and so does Clyne. They've gotta be better than Cleverley and Johnson/Walker!

Lallana Lambert are pretty much secured unless Carroll goes on a goal scoring run to stop Carroll.

Jay Rod Shaw and Cork may all get call ups but would need injuries to players like Baines or Cole for Shaw Cleverly and Barkley for Cork AOC and Wellbeck for Jay Rod. and would struggle to see playing time in Brazil.

1, and his name is Adam Lallana. However it depends on injuries and the form of other players. Rickie could quite easily get a look in if he hits form again and is the better of other choices, JRod has had a great season and will have to hope Welbeck or someone of that ilk doesn't get chosen ahead of him, and the other England player I think has a chance of going is Clyne, but it is a huge outside chance. Shaw will probably find the competition comes too soon for his chance, and Cork, while outstanding for us recently, will be fighting for his place with Wanyama which means he won't be permanent first choice for Saints, which will hamper his chances of playing for England.

I'd love it if the trio of Lambert, JRod and Lallana went though, and tore it up in Brazil. Skates fans would suddenly find a Scottish or Irish granny just so they didn't have to cheer the Saints/England team to glory.

Lallana Lambert are pretty much secured unless Carroll goes on a goal scoring run to stop Carroll.

Jay Rod Shaw and Cork may all get call ups but would need injuries to players like Baines or Cole for Shaw Cleverly and Barkley for Cork AOC and Wellbeck for Jay Rod. and would struggle to see playing time in Brazil.

Carroll would have to have amazing scoring record in next few weeks and that's pretty unlikely.

13/14

Carroll 0 in 3

Lambert 7 in 23

12/13

Carroll 7 in 26

Lambert 15 in 38

11/12

Carroll 4 in 35

Lambert 27 in 42 (champ)

10/11

Carroll 13 in 26

Lambert 21 in 45

9/10

Carroll 17 in 39 (champ)

Lambert 30 in 45

Last 1 ½ seasons since we have been in prem

Lambert 22

Lallana 10

Jay Rod 16

Carroll 7

Suggest Carroll offers the least in areas away from scoring.

Top English goal scorers-

Sturrridge 13

JayRod 10 (crap scorer according to saintsweb)

Rooney 9

Wellbeck 8

Lallana 7

Lambert 7

Carroll shouldn't be near squad IMHO - all our three well ahead on ability, scoring, form and flexibility.

Remember when England had so many decent strikers that players like Ian Wright, Andy Cole and Kevin Phillips couldn't get in the team? I don't really think Lambert deserves to go, although I love him, but when you see that list, you wonder who deserves to go instead of him.

I think only Lallana will go.

I think only lallana and lambert will go, and possibly Clyne as Johnson is injured, but post World Cup when Barry, lampard, gerrard and cole all retire from internationals I can see a way in for cork and shaw. Jrod is not quite international class IMHO, and there could be others depending on how they develop (jwp, maybe gallagher if he chooses England, reed?). What is without question is that we are the best club at the moment for developing young english talent, something to be very proud of. It may not last, it may be just a fleeting moment, but right now this is the best club to be at for a young developing english starlet.

Lambert going depends on his and Carrolls form in the 2nd half of the season.

and it doesn't exactly help Carroll given the fact he is now suspended for 3/4 matches.

I think Lallana is a shoe in, there's no way he won't go. The only debate up to the summer will be whether he starts or not.

Which ball winning CMs are better than Cork?

I really struggle to think who they are. Who even plays there? It isn't Wilshere's position and Gerrard doesn't do it for me. Henderson has been very good to be fair, forgot about him, he should go. But isn't he a bit more attacking? Barry?

I think the ball winning cm is one of england's big weaknesses currently. Cork looks made to fill it but sadly i assume he'll be ignored.

Adam and Rickie I reckon. Adam on form and Rickie because he offers something different to the other England strikers and Roy seems to like him. I wouldn't expect Rickie to play much being used more a last 20 minutes sub if England are chasing the game and want to bang balls into the box for a big man. Sadly England under Roy won't play like saints and I expect Adam won't look or play as well because of that... and then will be written off as not good enough.

I was going to say just Lallana, but I think one of our full backs will go too!! Can still see the Chile game when AL & JR went to start to press the full backs high up the park as the y would for us, but stopped themselves as it was a diffrent strategy from Hodgson.

Maybe England could learn something from Saints??

I was going to say just Lallana, but I think one of our full backs will go too!! Can still see the Chile game when AL & JR went to start to press the full backs high up the park as the y would for us, but stopped themselves as it was a diffrent strategy from Hodgson.

Maybe England could learn something from Saints??

The pressing game won't happen for England because players from the "big" clubs won't want to do it and their clubs would probably share the same view. RH is a yes man to the FA, PL and the top clubs. In my opinion anyway. I'd love to see some of our players in England shirts but realistically I think it will only be Adam

Hodgson sees a lot of Saints matches these days, (two this week) so the players have their chances to impress. As said above, Saints play a team game in a particular style, Hodgson will be looking to see how the players would fit into the style he wants to England to play, not how well they play in the style we play.

Adam is a must on current form, there is a good chance for Rickie, the rest will depend on the above, but I would not write JRod off, he could well be a Hodgson type player.

Hodgson sees a lot of Saints matches these days, (two this week) so the players have their chances to impress. As said above, Saints play a team game in a particular style, Hodgson will be looking to see how the players would fit into the style he wants to England to play, not how well they play in the style we play.

Adam is a must on current form, there is a good chance for Rickie, the rest will depend on the above, but I would not write JRod off, he could well be a Hodgson type player.

Actually might be better if our boys don't go, don't want Roy's dire style to rub off on our boys. None of our players really fit England's ponderous, lacking in energy, no pressing, hopeless flinging balls aimless forward style.

The team for the first match against Italy, and nutter Osvaldo, should be:

--------------------------Hart-----------------------

Clyne---------Cahill-----------Jagielka-----Shaw

----------------Cork-----------Gerrard-------------

JRod-----------------Lambert-------------Lallana

----------------------Rooney-----------------------

In all honesty though, providing there are no more serious injuries, I think the only nailed on Saints player to go to Brazil is Lallana. Rickie stands a fair chance of being the 4th striker (with Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck). I really can't see any others making it.

The team for the first match against Italy, and nutter Osvaldo, should be:

Clyne---------Cahill-----------Jagielka-----Shaw

----------------Cork-----------Gerrard-------------

JRod-----------------Lambert-------------Lallana

In all honesty though, providing there are no more serious injuries, I think the only nailed on Saints player to go to Brazil is Lallana. Rickie stands a fair chance of being the 4th striker (with Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck). I really can't see any others making it.

I would go for:

Clyne---------Cahill-----------Jagielka-----Bains

----------------Barry-----------Gerrard-------------

Theo /Johnson-----Wiltshire------------Lallana

With lambert on the bench

If Carroll hadn't got himself sent off yesterday he'd have done himself the world of good, he's a complete menace when he's on form. Sadly for him and England, those times aren't nearly often enough, and he's clearly a bit unhinged in the head; he quite obviously meant to make some form of contact with Chico, and while it was a complete over-reaction from the defender Carroll shouldn't have been so thick to put himself in that position. I hope Rickie goes to Brazil but I fear Hodgson may opt for Carroll instead. RL needs to keep doing what he's doing, but if Carroll comes back on any sort of goal scoring run then I think he'll get the nod. And I wouldn't be surprised if his red card gets overturned (even though I think it shouldn't).

Which ball winning CMs are better than Cork?

I really struggle to think who they are. Who even plays there? It isn't Wilshere's position and Gerrard doesn't do it for me. Henderson has been very good to be fair, forgot about him, he should go. But isn't he a bit more attacking? Barry?

I actually agree - Barry and Carrick are the only two who compete with Cork really. No doubt Gerrard will play that position though and will constantly play stupid passes and give the ball away.

Lallana and Lambert, but if Carroll starts playing well I can see Lambert being left behind.

Unless there is an injury crisis there is no way they are going to throw any of the others in at this stage - way too late. you don't give youngsters their competitive debut in a World Cup finals unless you have to.

Edited by aintforever

If Roy has been at the last two games to watch saints then as well as keeping his eye on the three forward lads I think it's more likely he'll be looking at Shaw and Clyne more thoroughly. I think lallana is on the plane, maybe rickie if he can keep banging them in and I actually think clyne or Shaw will be going as well, probably clyne.

If Carroll hadn't got himself sent off yesterday he'd have done himself the world of good, he's a complete menace when he's on form. Sadly for him and England, those times aren't nearly often enough, and he's clearly a bit unhinged in the head; he quite obviously meant to make some form of contact with Chico, and while it was a complete over-reaction from the defender Carroll shouldn't have been so thick to put himself in that position. I hope Rickie goes to Brazil but I fear Hodgson may opt for Carroll instead. RL needs to keep doing what he's doing, but if Carroll comes back on any sort of goal scoring run then I think he'll get the nod. And I wouldn't be surprised if his red card gets overturned (even though I think it shouldn't).

Yesterday is exactly why Carroll shouldn't go. He's a more talented player than many give him credit for (after all he's restricted by Sam's hoof it up & knock it down for Nolan style), but a big, dominant in the air CF will always give away 20 free kicks a game at international level because of the way foreign refs view the game. The same happened with Crouchy when he went to the World Cup.

Which Saints will go... Yoshi & Ramirez. I can see Roy bottling it and letting the usual dross go after he gets badgered by Moyes, Wenger, Rodgers at al to pick the players from the big clubs and so no Saints end up in the England squad. As a couple have mentioned, our players actually don't fit the England style - they try too hard and have a desire to win games.

it will be n utter disgrace if lallana is fit and does not go.

I think rodriguez in a good shout with lambert

clyne must be in contention.

I dont think shaw will go unless either baines or cole are injured for it

Gibbs is also ahead of him at the mo

other players around the league who I feel deserve to be looked ta

Henderson

Sterling (although offers almost no goal threat)

Delph

Huddlestone

A. Johnson

I actually agree - Barry and Carrick are the only two who compete with Cork really. No doubt Gerrard will play that position though and will constantly play stupid passes and give the ball away.

Last year I said Cork should be in the England fold when he played regularly and now he is back in the team and back in form then yes definately I think he should be in and around the team. Rodwell would have been the only other one to challenge but he has managed to take significant time out of the game recently.

I can see Roy bottling it and letting the usual dross go after he gets badgered by Moyes, Wenger, Rodgers at al to pick the players from the big clubs and so no Saints end up in the England squad.

Yeah. If there's one thing big club managers love it's their players being picked for international duty. Love it, they do.