Saints long term deal with adidas to be terminated?

doggface

Just wanted to pick up on something that Matthew Le Tissier mentioned on another thread which may have gone under the radar.

Has been said that our "long term" kit deal is due to be cancelled in the summer as cortese fell out with Adidas. Allegedly we will be going back to our own branded kit instead.

I know that mlt is in the business of selling match worn shirts and don't doubt he has heard something, just wondered if anyone else had heard anything more concrete.

i asked the media guys on twitter who are usually pretty good at responding but was met with a wall of silence. Wattsy the photographer did respond saying "NO can't" which makes me think there maybe something in this.

does anyone know anymore?

thanks

Well they will be likely paying us a six figure sum each year so that helps but we get a smaller cut of the sales than if we produced our own.

Also no overheads as adidas design all the products.

Premier league is still booming so no doubt contract value will only be going one way. Arsenals deal with puma for example is about 20 mil per season (I know that's at the higher end)

Also I think it raises our profile.

Not sure why the choice would be Adidas or own brand. There are other options. Haven't Puma made a comeback with a deal with Arsenal recently. They might want to add another Prem club in.

Personally I think we will be in adidas next year anyway. In lovely ol' stripes.

Uh god I'd f_ucking hate it if we went back to making our own kit, absolutely god-awful chinese sweat-shop quality garbage.

Seriously mickey mouse in this day and age, are there any other PL or FL clubs that make their own kit anymore?

Can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

I'd accept anyone, Macron, Adidas, Nike, Umbro ANYONE but making our own kit again.

I want to see our kit all around the world and to be able to buy a fake but high quality cos it came from the same factory top for £4 in Patong or some backstreet in Budapest or on the beech in Kos this summer...I will wear that at the match live but not otherwise unless im watching it live on tv at home when its just good luck...I don't want to pay a stupid amount for a plastic shirt like what they charge us right now, we got enough money from SKY already plus KL is minted so enough of the over-priced kits malarkey in the club shop please - leave that to wealthier people, and let us have our kits made in Asia and billions of cheaper counterfeits of it available from the usual sources.

I want to see our kit all around the world and to be able to buy a fake but high quality cos it came from the same factory top for £4 in Patong or some backstreet in Budapest or on the beech in Kos this summer...I will wear that at the match live but not otherwise unless im watching it live on tv at home when its just good luck...I don't want to pay a stupid amount for a plastic shirt like what they charge us right now, we got enough money from SKY already plus KL is minted so enough of the over-priced kits malarkey in the club shop please - leave that to wealthier people, and let us have our kits made in Asia and billions of cheaper counterfeits of it available from the usual sources.

^ this

Really breaks my heart to travel to Asia and see 4year old kids wearing Gerrard or Rooney Orange coloured shirts

The adidas situation rings true to what I have been told.

Nicola kicked up a huge fuss regarding a number of mistakes by adidas. He wasn't happy at their PR campaign, the delay in delivery of kits and lack of access to stock. The main issue was the lack of personalisation on training and coaching wear. Which originally came umbranded.

Source, member HR staff at Arcadia (own topman) who recently left Adudas.

Nicola kicked up a huge fuss regarding a number of mistakes by adidas. He wasn't happy at their PR campaign, the delay in delivery of kits and lack of access to stock. The main issue was the lack of personalisation on training and coaching wear. Which originally came umbranded.

As in we may terminate the contract with adidas and go with making our own kits again? Or as in we may terminate the contract with adidas and go with a rival firm?

I heard about Cortese upsetting Adidas too, apparently there were one or two sponsors of the club who felt his wrath because they didn't meet his requirements.

Tbh I don't really care about the kit, as long as it's red and white.

I don't see the logic in the jump from ending the Adidas contract to having an own brand kit next season. If the story about ending the Adidas contract is true, why would the club favour an own brand kit over using Nike, Puma etc? Sounds like ********.

Timing?

Our adidas kit this season took 3 years to design

I believe a number of English league clubs are in dispute with adidas following unfulfilled orders, short deliveries and promises not met. You can imagine Cortese's reaction to this kind of service. Maybe adidas are in breach of contract over these issues and it's in the hands of the legal bods and until it's resolved SFC can't take their business elsewhere and producing their own gear is the only alternative?

Well if its true that Adidas did mess up then Cortese had every right to get hacked off IMO. I just wonder whether the purchasing team were empowered to sort it out, or did Cortese decide it was a such an issue that he felt the need to get personally involved? See where I'm going with this?

Well if its true that Adidas did mess up then Cortese had every right to get hacked off IMO. I just wonder whether the purchasing team were empowered to sort it out, or did Cortese decide it was a such an issue that he felt the need to get personally involved? See where I'm going with this?

Cortese was personally involved in virtually every decision made at the club.

If that is the case, then we have every right to be displeased and to terminate the contract.

Cortese was personally involved in virtually every decision made at the club.

Well I understand he liked to micro manage certain projects, but then much of Saints resergence was attributable to his vision, like it or not. And I just don't believe all of the Nasty Nick stories that many have rolled out.

47075.jpg

Oh but stripes are so terribly, terribly old fashioned and I wouldn't know if I was supporting Stoke or Sunderland or something.

Far prefer our current kit. Cutting edge, dynamic and revolutionary, and utterly unique from any other kit any other team has ever worn in British football history.

seems to tie in with the rumours that cortese burnt a lot of bridges, do we really need a massive generic sports manufacturer linked with saints? I guess its beneficial

Nike are paying United £74million a season from next season, so yes we want a massive generic sports manufacturer linked with us. And paying us handsomely for the privilege.

said this in a post weeks ago and most people as usual rubbished it!

At least when its our own brand the players can have them made just once rather than having to send every players shirt to a Thai lady is Southampton to tailor them individually .

Another cortese complaint I believe

The away shirt is formation design which is fitted

The home only comes in climacool design which is not a fitted shirt. Adidas would not make the shirts fitted for our players. Hence why when they arive the players shirts get sent away.

So if you notice the ones the players use our different to the replica shirts. Well the home ones

That Thai lady's made loads out of saints this season, she takes in all the shirts so that they're tight fitting on the sleeves so that they can't be pulled. All the players have warmed to her now they all take all their clobber to her to alter!

^ this

Really breaks my heart to travel to Asia and see 4year old kids wearing Gerrard or Rooney Orange coloured shirts

i saw a real cracker when i was on hols in the US last year... saw this obviously american kid wearing a fake manchester united top and on the back it said "manchester soccer"

like in california they still don't know that manchester city exists

said this in a post weeks ago and most people as usual rubbished it!

At least when its our own brand the players can have them made just once rather than having to send every players shirt to a Thai lady is Southampton to tailor them individually .

Another cortese complaint I believe

The away shirt is formation design which is fitted

The home only comes in climacool design which is not a fitted shirt. Adidas would not make the shirts fitted for our players. Hence why when they arive the players shirts get sent away.

So if you notice the ones the players use our different to the replica shirts. Well the home ones

Own brand shirts are incredibly mickey mouse, no PL team and hardly any FL teams (maybe none?) have them, the worst shirt I have EVER worn is the 2006/07 black/red away shirt, it was alright to look at but had absolutely no breathability whatsoever, it was a sweatbox.

I'd accept almost any kit manufacturer, uhlsport, macron, jamo, umbro, puma ANYONE rather than making our own god-awful kits again, f*ck that.

Edited by BlakeySFC