Saints long term deal with adidas to be terminated?

doggface

Have said it for over a year, simply mimic the Athletico Madrid/Bilboa top and there we have it, red and white stripes as it should be done, will they do it? No because making a decent kit is actually unprofitable as if it's so good why change it? Crap kits every two years with minor alterations making it look not better or worse.

The only problem with stripes is that rubbish teams like Stoke & Sunderland play in them as well. Frankly having not had them for a few seasons I'd hate for us to back to them. They represent the Saints of old, hard-up, scrambling around for survival and selling our best kids for profit. No thanks.

I like our red kit, maybe last season's a bit more than this but let's stay as we are.

The only problem with stripes is that rubbish teams like Stoke & Sunderland play in them as well. Frankly having not had them for a few seasons I'd hate for us to back to them. They represent the Saints of old, hard-up, scrambling around for survival and selling our best kids for profit. No thanks.

I like our red kit, maybe last season's a bit more than this but let's stay as we are.

They don't represent this then:

FA Cup winners

FA Cup finalists

Promotion to the Prem

Eighth in the prem, fourth the following Christmas

Le Tissier's greatest goals

ZDS Cup final, JPS final

Beattie Pahars Killer Bridge

European football

Chris Nicholl's wonder kids

Shearers debut

and so on

...basically the club you have supported all your life.

Who'd want to look like Saints when we can look like Swindon and Bristol City, eh?

Mental.

FA Cup winners

FA Cup finalists

Promotion to the Prem

ZDS Cup final, JPS final

European football

Shearers debut

and so on

Who'd want to look like Saints when we can look like Swindon and Bristol City, eh?

Mental.

Many of his very best were in the dreadful pony kit, possibly my least favourite ever. And our best period in the league was not in stripes (though it was read and white ... With black shorts).

Apologies if someone has already asked the question but why does "We have terminated our contract with Adidas" automatically translate to "We're going to make our own kit"?

Couldn't "We're going with a different manufacturer" also be a valid outcome?

p.s. I'm not fussed about stripes per se. I quite like red being our more predominant colour.

I agree really. But I think we're guaranteed to get stripes as a gesture to the fans. I don't like all red, but not a big fan of stripes. Just a bit more white in the kit and it'd be fine. Especially with black shorts anyway. I think our away kit is the smartest we've ever had. That in red with black shorts and white socks would have been great. The xerox style kit would be great too, or back to the sash.

Thankfully that is a minority view and the vast majority will welcome a return to stripes.

I also find it a shame just how many people think that 'own brand' automatically means 'poor quality'.

Fact is, a lot of kits are made in very similar factories and yes, if you opt for a lower cost, lower quality kit as your 'own brand', to maximise your margin, then it probably will be poor quality. But equally, there is nothing to stop a club using a factory and a manufacturer who is higher quality - it's all down to the club really. Usually the decision is financially motivated, hence the poorer quality but higher margin... i would like to see us aim a little higher, but whether that happens or not...?

FA Cup winners

FA Cup finalists

Promotion to the Prem

ZDS Cup final, JPS final

European football

Shearers debut

and so on

Mental.

I associate the top two with yellow

I don't want stripes back either, they look naff.

I agree, as sad as it sounds, when I see Stoke and Sunderland in their stripes with black shorts - it just looks a bit duff. Old fashioned, "messy" and naff. I actually like the all red with a splash of white - not that I ever wear the shirts, but just better to watch. I've never been a stripes fan anyway.

New phrase for the marketing team; "Be smart, be Saints smart".

(That's why I don't work in marketing)

Seems no one has heard anything concrete then, just that there have been a number of issues. Fwiw I hope we stick with them but I'd still be fairly surprised if we make our own.

puma,adidas,Nike are very competitive at the moment as the Bpl is big business and we are a great catch ATM.

surprised but delighted to see umbro back again with Everton, massive deal for them I thought they were toast.

Seems no one has heard anything concrete then, just that there have been a number of issues. Fwiw I hope we stick with them but I'd still be fairly surprised if we make our own.

puma,adidas,Nike are very competitive at the moment as the Bpl is big business and we are a great catch ATM.

surprised but delighted to see umbro back again with Everton, massive deal for them I thought they were toast.

Well as Iconix paid a fair bit for Umbro you'd expect them to seek out some sort of flagship PL deals wouldn't you. It may be that quite a few clubs will go back to Umbro in the near future, in the end Nike may well regret discontinuing the brand and selling them off.

I'd really love the sash to become our 'permanent' kit. A strong nod to tradition, and nothing like Stoke/Sunderland.

Failing that, I'd go for Rank Xerox style stripes.

As the kit is changed just about every season now, there's not a lot you can do with 'The Sash' to make it significantly different to the previous one (other than reversing the colours but that's not then 'traditional') and get fans to buy it.

Stripes can be altered in width - the Rank Xerox could be argued is actually a form of stripes - but see no reason why the Sash couldn't be dropped in occassionally.

Rank Xerox style for me next season, ta.

Put me down for another **** the stripes. Have never liked them and never will....Love the bright solid red we play in now, it's really representative of the modern Saints and what we 'are'....rather than what we 'were'

And make the monotone crest the official club crest while we're at it too.....First time I've ever seen it look decent.

Most issues of good taste are a minority view. That's why we end up with x-factor and mcdonalds.

So you are comparing our current abortion of a kit to which top end high quality "good taste" product, then?

Do tell. Show us how classy you are.

i could not care who makes he kit they are roughly about the same in quality nowadays but to some it has to have a big name brand on it,to wear it,i would rather they lowered the price to they charge for young kids and the baby kits are shocking. as for adults its up to them if they want to pay silly prices the clubs charge for replica kit in my view.

You are basing your experience on what we had before when we had no cash

Things are now different , they will probably be better quality than the mass produced trash on the market these days

QUOTE=BlakeySFC;1876749]Own brand shirts are incredibly mickey mouse, no PL team and hardly any FL teams (maybe none?) have them, the worst shirt I have EVER worn is the 2006/07 black/red away shirt, it was alright to look at but had absolutely no breathability whatsoever, it was a sweatbox.

I'd accept almost any kit manufacturer, uhlsport, macron, jamo, umbro, puma ANYONE rather than making our own god-awful kits again, f*ck that.

I started watching Saints in the early mid-80s. So the first 3 kits I knew were not really the classic stripes. Not really fussed whether we go back to stripes next season, the plain red has grown on me.

I kind of agree to an extent, I like the stripes but only when well done. My favourite kits have been the sash and the Rank Xerox, so stripes aren't a necessity. The main things for me are that the kit represents Saints i.e. in keeping with what has gone before, and that it looks good. So I think both the pinstripes and the current kit have abjectly failed to do that. We ditched the black shorts and went with kits that were just bland, boring, uninspiring and nothing to do with us. They just haven't seemed like Saints kits, and that's why I really hope we move away from them and more in keeping with a traditional kit. The Sash and the Rank Xerox, whilst not stripes, are iconic as kits for SFC, so we don't necessarily need stripes to come out with something that will be much more popular than the last two years poor efforts.

Edited by The Kraken

I kind of agree to an extent, I like the stripes but only when well done. My favourite kits have been the sash and the Rank Xerox, so stripes aren't a necessity. The main things for me are that the kit represents Saints i.e. in keeping with what has gone before, and that it looks good. So I think both the pinstripes and the current kit have abjectly failed to do that. We ditched the black shorts and went with kits that were just bland, boring, uninspiring and nothing to do with us. They just haven't seemed like Saints kits, and that's why I really hope we move away from them and more in keeping with a traditional kit. The Sash and the Rank Xerox, whilst not stripes, are iconic as kits for SFC, so we don't necessarily need stripes to come out with something that will be much more popular than the last two years poor efforts.

Best kits we've had for me (in no particular order) are this seasons home and away, championship home, the sash, and that beautiful brazil kit that we got to wear for 2 seasons but could only buy for one season :mcinnes:

Last years home was a god awful vomit inducing pinstripe monstrosity. Literally think it is my least favourite kit and it is beyond me how it is as popular as it seems to be, but hey, personal choice :rolleyes:

So anyway, of my favourite kits I plopped for stripes once, and my absolute favourite kits have been sash, championship home and this years home kit. Kits are associated with how well the team play, hence why stripes have lost their popularity in recent years.

2 relegations, championship mediocrity before that, and the disappointment of failed promotion pushes in championship and league 1.

The sash was like watching miss universe elegantly **** all over other teams, and we are playing quality football in this years kit.

I imagine its a similar reason for why Zerox is so good, if the team had been ****, that kit would not be so popular... And likewise, the championship promotion stripes is a great kit for many people.... we were never out of the top 2 all season :lol:

Anything but own brand we proved that business can't resist the temptation of a quick buck and produced some of the worst low quality crap in history, if the team were actually playing in the same shirts every week that we could by no wonder we were a bit rubbish! Every shirt we've had since going with a brand has been superior to the in house much I really liked the addidas kits particularly the Sash which I would like to see in the design rotation in future years along with stripes and some other variations on the red and white theme.

Anything but own brand we proved that business can't resist the temptation of a quick buck and produced some of the worst low quality crap in history, if the team were actually playing in the same shirts every week that we could by no wonder we were a bit rubbish! Every shirt we've had since going with a brand has been superior to the in house much I really liked the addidas kits particularly the Sash which I would like to see in the design rotation in future years along with stripes and some other variations on the red and white theme.

The quality of an own brand is down to the club's decision about what to source, not the manufacturer. If the club decided to go with a shot silk shirt hand made on Savile row own brand they could.

The quality of an own brand is down to the club's decision about what to source, not the manufacturer. If the club decided to go with a shot silk shirt hand made on Savile row own brand they could.

I don't buy the replica shirts, so I wondered what the manufactured (rather than design) quality was of the own brand shirts compared to the Umbro and now Adidas shirts? I think the last shirt I ever had was the 88-89 Hummel kit and they were great. At that time stitched in badges not ironed on versions were the order of the day.