Transfers (rumours) thread

Glasgow_Saint

IF John Cross is to be believed we won't have 11 players by the time the season starts, let alone 11 good ones.

Bear in mind he's not saying that Fonte will actually go. He's just saying that Steve Bruce wants him and is willing to pay £3 million.

Clyne - Arsenal

Shaw - Man U

Fonte - Hull

Lovren - Liverpool

Morgan - Arsenal

Big Vic - West Ham

Lallana - Liverpool

Jay - Spurs

Chambers - Arsenal

Think that's it for players leaving so far this summer isn't it?

Clyne - Arsenal

Shaw - Man U

Fonte - Hull

Lovren - Liverpool

Morgan - Arsenal

Big Vic - West Ham

Lallana - Liverpool

Jay - Spurs

Chambers - Arsenal

Think that's it for players leaving so far this summer isn't it?

You have left off.....

Cork - Everton

Gaston - somewhere in Italy

Lambert - Wet Spam

Osvaldo - to the highest bidder.

Very sensible article imo.

http://footylatest.com/southampton-owe-it-to-clubs-outside-the-top-six-to-stand-firm/56273

Southampton have the opportunity to put a stop to a depressing Premier League reality. We have seen too often, a team achieve success beyond what was expected of them, and then cashing in on their best players as a result. In general, the practice does absolutely nothing to improve the modern game. It is an exercise in ensuring that the top 4 clubs remain relatively constant, the mid-table teams settle for what they’ve got, and the relegation scrappers brace themselves for another dogfight.

There was a good article in the Independent by Sam Wallace, think it was on Monday, talking about the vultures hovering over Saints. It's a depressing reality that very few players opt to stay at their clubs when the big boys call. Let's face it, all Premiership teams would rather hold on to their best players than sell - the money is never adequate compensation as you can never replace like for like. He said that what teams like Man U and Man City have bought, is not just players in the transfer market, but also the right to hold on to all the players that the club bring through their youth system. We've continually heard about the class of '92 from Man U over the years, but it's much easier for them to hold on to all their talent. All other teams find their talent picked off by a handful of clubs at the top.

I saw a quote from a Liverpool supporter yesterday that he had totalled up that they had been linked with 107 players so far since the start of last season!

I heard from someone within the club they have quietly cancelled the birthday celebrations they had planned for Paulo Gazzaniga and are keeping their fingers crossed.

Perhaps because he is on holiday in Spain?

Bear in mind he's not saying that Fonte will actually go. He's just saying that Steve Bruce wants him and is willing to pay £3 million.

story no doubt supplied to press by Fonte's agent.

I know players coming up to a year (or two years in some cases) left on their contracts are going to be more attractive to the buyer, but nine times out of ten I'd wager it was the agent putting a little pressure on the existing club to offer the right contract to their client.

Not transfer rumours but can't find the HCDAJFU thread ... these all released today

* Shola Ameobi ?

* Matthew Etherington?

* Robert Koren?

Only Shola for me, and as a squad player, a replacement for Guly, I guess.

Neither, all 3 complete and utter dross at this level. We need to avoid filling our squad up with dross, as it will only drag us down.

Shola has scored 9 goals in 3 seasons, utterly pointless player. We need to avoid sweeping up the released players from our neighbours in the league as well, if he's not good enough as a squad player for NUFC, he's not good enough for us full stop.

Anyone heard any rumours about Davis and Boruc moving on? That would make the entire first team regulars on the way out.

Wake me up when the new season starts. My guess is that the only player who will actually leave will be Luke Shaw

Not transfer rumours but can't find the HCDAJFU thread ... these all released today

* Shola Ameobi ?

* Matthew Etherington?

* Robert Koren?

Only Shola for me, and as a squad player, a replacement for Guly, I guess.

None of them, not in a million years.

Ameobi's in talks with Bradford City.

I would take £15 to 20M for Clyne, and spend it on a decent striker. We have Chambers as a ready made replacement. For cover if there is not one in the youth, then get a young promising right back for £1 to 2M. Also Cork etc. can cover.

Sure it's an "Exclusive"...they plucked another name that hadn't been used and added it to their current favourite.:rolleyes:

Exactly! They've picked a name out of the hat, combined it with all the earlier spec over Lallana including a random price, thrown in a quote from Hodgson from two weeks ago in a bid to give it some slim sense of legitimacy, and presented is as some form of inside info dressed up as an EXCLUSIVE.

ANYTHING can be exclusive if you make it up.

It offends me as a Saints fan, but it offends me even more as a f***ing journalist.

Exactly! They've picked a name out of the hat, combined it with all the earlier spec over Lallana including a random price, thrown in a quote from Hodgson from two weeks ago in a bid to give it some slim sense of legitimacy, and presented is as some form of inside info dressed up as an EXCLUSIVE.

ANYTHING can be exclusive if you make it up.

It offends me as a Saints fan, but it offends me even more as a f***ing journalist.

And the next story down at the bottom of the page was Poch in talks with Southampton over new contract putting all these moves in doubt. In short, they haven't got a clue.

Not really, he started 4 games and got 4 sub appearances, looking at his stats on whoscored you'd just have to surmise that he was rubbish in all of them. Just cannot see what people see in this player, he had 1 good season and has been milking it ever since. We have the younger brother, if he's any good let's utilise the fellow.

it really depends on where the guy plays best...and who he's playing alongside. Playing someone of out his "natural " position doesn't improve matters.

There are loads of examples of players being played " out of (their best) position ", or not getting the service they had at a previous club, and not getting regular games in consequence.

Remember JayRod's first half-season under NA? Stuck out of the left achieving almost nothing ....and loads of people complained and said what a waste of money he was.:lol: but MP changed him around.

Think back to Carroll and Torres fiasco. Two players who did exceptionally well at one club, but were a waste of space in their new side when they didn't have the same service / play in same formation.

I haven't seen the fellow play much (nor has anyone else), but perhaps it would be good for both brothers if he were with us, too . £3 million isn't SO much in the present market and worth a gamble.

If Pochettino stays nobody is going anywhere and there will be players brought in.

Inclined to agree to an extent. But would be very surprised if we kept hold of Lallana.

Either way, there's a greater chance that he goes. The question therefore is how far we can limit the fallout.

Inclined to agree to an extent. But would be very surprised if we kept hold of Lallana.

Either way, there's a greater chance that he goes. The question therefore is how far we can limit the fallout.

Not from what his father said. It all hinges on Pochettino getting funds to strengthen the team. The longer it goes on the more it seems the players aren't going to break ranks until the situation is sorted and the media rumours are pretty much what happened when Cortese left.

Not from what his father said. It all hinges on Pochettino getting funds to strengthen the team. The longer it goes on the more it seems the players aren't going to break ranks until the situation is sorted and the media rumours are pretty much what happened when Cortese left.

Interesting. Would also suggest we hold all the cards versus Spurs -as long as we can make the funds available? Of course, MP's demands might be wholly unrealistic.

And if he goes, everyone will be sold, and no one will be signed? ;)

FWIW he looks long gone to me.

If he goes can also see the club keeping everybody until the new manager comes in and is allowed to decide what he wants.

Don't know if this has been on here yet, but apparently we're in for Joan Verdu.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/49997-southampton-can-finally-land-spanish-playmaker.php

I know nothing about him apart from what that article says - Spanish playmaker, just relegated, played under Poch at Espanyol.

Anybody else shed any light on him?

Football/Sports Direct News is full of **** and one of the 'sources' to take zero notice of I think. A load of made up stuff in the main.

FDN is the one source I don't even bother looking at these days (Mail and Mirror are almost there) - its just consistently coming up with lots completely made up articles that they think people will click on, so they get another 0.0001p or whatever from the advertisers.

Chelsea about to hijack Luke Shaw to Man U deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2639582/Luke-Shaw-targeted-Chelsea-Jose-Mourinho-eyes-replacement-Ashley-Cole.html

It's becoming clear to myself that the club are allowing all these rumors and bidding of 20 million plus for our players for a major reason. By showing how much other clubs are prepared to offer, we are sending a message to Juventus that Osvaldo is a bargain at 13 million, that Juventus trying to offer half that amount just isn't anywhere near the market rates.

Chelsea about to hijack Luke Shaw to Man U deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2639582/Luke-Shaw-targeted-Chelsea-Jose-Mourinho-eyes-replacement-Ashley-Cole.html

It's becoming clear to myself that the club are allowing all these rumors and bidding of 20 million plus for our players for a major reason. By showing how much other clubs are prepared to offer, we are sending a message to Juventus that Osvaldo is a bargain at 13 million, that Juventus trying to offer half that amount just isn't anywhere near the market rates.

We should just allow Poch to go to Spurs on the proviso that Spurs sign Osvaldo for £15m...