Are we just accepting shaw will leave in summer?

Roger

I've basically just come to accept it, not too concerned about Shaw leaving (world class talent and all but he's not the most important player on our team) the one I'm desperate to hold on to is obviously Lallana as my Liverpool/ United mates are loving telling me how he's too good for a team like us and he'll be playing for them next season :uhoh: Same mates who told me he was rubbish last year when I was telling them how brilliant he was to be fair :lol: Morons.

That is completely wrong. Luke and his family want him to stay at Saints for a few years yet. The club don't want to sell either. Unless RM/ Citeh offer huge money (£50m) he will be here next September.

Relax, he is playing every week with his mates he grew up with, he is getting England recognition and the best possible back room facilities/ support in the UK. He and his family know this, they know there's no rush and Saints will be a big part of getting him to fulfil his potential. Other clubs will try and unsettle him by letting the media know they are interested (newspapers don't invent these stories, sorry to break that to some of you), however big difference between clubs wanting him and what Luke/ Saints want.

Source? Fellow player that's known Luke since they were 9.

More or less what I was told last week.

this whole deal is a win-win situation for saints. If he goes to Brazil (as looks likely) his price will increase even more.

There are quite a few players I'd like us to keep ..and Shaw is one of them, but for £30 mill.......I'd think very hard about it (and I'd expect that Luke would too).

If he does go, make sure we get a 25% cut of any sell-on !

Why would Shaw leave? the mates he grew up with in the Academy are here, the Club is doing brilliantly, he's in the England squad already, and he has a manager who can bring him on further. As for Lallana he is a So'ton boy, he will never leave, he didn't when we got relegated to the pits so he won't now, this is his club for ever, stop worrying, we're in for a few years pleasure, enjoy it.

That is completely wrong. Luke and his family want him to stay at Saints for a few years yet. The club don't want to sell either. Unless RM/ Citeh offer huge money (£50m) he will be here next September.

Relax, he is playing every week with his mates he grew up with, he is getting England recognition and the best possible back room facilities/ support in the UK. He and his family know this, they know there's no rush and Saints will be a big part of getting him to fulfil his potential. Other clubs will try and unsettle him by letting the media know they are interested (newspapers don't invent these stories, sorry to break that to some of you), however big difference between clubs wanting him and what Luke/ Saints want.

Source? Fellow player that's known Luke since they were 9.

This (good post) - but with the 'salary talks' bit added.

Say he's on 3 million (? - no idea) at Saints. Some club gives him a bit of paper with 'sign here for 20 million guaranteed over 4 years' then it gives him a tough decision.

The chance to play for a so-called bigger club prob ain't an issue. Can't see him going to somewhere like Man Utd for a small percentage pay raise when he appears to be totally happy at a successful, stable club that is playing great football - good enough for him to already have an England cap.

See what happens. This summer will be a good test for the powers-that-be at Saints. How ambitious are they? We'll soon find out.

We need to be realistic here.

Spurs couldn't keep Bale

Utd couldn't keep Ronaldo

Arsenal couldn't keep Van Persie

As much as we like to think we are in that league nobody else does.

Ok Shaw isn't the finished article but he is one hell of a player. No player is worth the sort of money being bandied around but they are if a moneybags club need him. If a bidding war starts it will be messy as none of the big three (with money) will want the other two to have him.

Personally I would pre-empt the whole thing and start a conversation with Chelsea which starts with Lukuka, that will test their mettle.

There are other left backs but precious few Lallana's I think we will have to learn to support a team without him

this whole deal is a win-win situation for saints. If he goes to Brazil (as looks likely) his price will increase even more.

There are quite a few players I'd like us to keep ..and Shaw is one of them, but for £30 mill.......I'd think very hard about it (and I'd expect that Luke would too).

If he does go, make sure we get a 25% cut of any sell-on !

I just do not get it when fans say this.

At the moment we have an excellent left back, one we would almost certainly fail to replace with the same quality. If it were easy to get somebody of his youth and ability, he wouldn't be worth the figures touted. So we can be certain that losing him would make the team worse to the tune of a first class left back.

What would we get in return? Another chance to try our hand at the transfer lottery. We may even have less than 30 million to spend, if our owner is willing to sell then she may not be keen to send all that money straight back out again on uncertain returns, in fact it would be ridiculous if she did, as there would be other expenses too.

So we have lost a 30 million pound player and now sit with maybe 20-25 million to spend. Let's see where that gets us, 20-25 millions worth of talent? That's unlikely in experience, what we get are players that other clubs will sell us for that price, and that are willing to come to us, remembering that we have just sold our most valuable player, so our ambition is clearly limited.

Of the players we get, some will work out and some will flop, that's the way it always is for every club. So to recap, we lose a world class player, widely rated at about 30 million, known to fit our team and can be relied on to perform at this level in this league, and we gain perhaps a 12 million pound success somewhere else on the pitch. Brilliant.

Now like many others, I accept that no team gets to keep all of their best players, but to actually show a preference for selling Luke Shaw is absolute short-sighted lunacy. As fans, we should all very much hope that he stays.

So the hunch is based on heresay from here? Why is that more reliable than a newspaper?

Not saying anything of the sort, though have any of the papers claimed Shaw wants to leave in the summer - as opposed to just suggesting that clubs are lining up bids?

Quite different things.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/30032014-luke-shaw-post-newcastle-united-home-1456159.aspx

@SouthamptonFC: Shaw: "We've got a lot of young players in the team that will get older, get more experienced and improve as players." #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: Shaw on #SaintsFC's production line: "It is not just me, Prowsey and Calum coming through - there are plenty more. It is not going to stop."

@SouthamptonFC: Shaw on #SaintsFC's youngsters: "We're all starting to get to know each other's games and we're only going to get better."

Edited by trousers

So the hunch is based on heresay from here? Why is that more reliable than a newspaper?

Because I had dinner with said player (and more importantly his Dad) 2 weeks ago and, not surprisingly, the subject of X players good mate a Luke Shaw and his future came up (before the poppadoms arrived).

He loves it here, the parents of these lads are tight, the club provide brilliant backing (big credit to NC there but transition smooth apparently), they get to play, international recognition and massive financial incentives based on a wide range of criteria (not goals/ assists/ clean sheets but tackles, metres run etc). Moral sky high and our lads coming back from England duty with others asking about life at Saints, not the other way around.

As said before, other clubs interested. They'd be stupid not to be. But right now the lads think they can push us further next year and the squad will get better with experience. No one wants to leave.

However, there's always a however... Every clubs a selling club. If someone offers stupid, and I mean stupid, money for any player the club will listen. As would any club in the world. But on the subject of the players and their parents wanting them to leave, nah. That's rubbish.

@SouthamptonFC: Shaw on #SaintsFC's production line: "It is not just me, Prowsey and Calum coming through - there are plenty more. It is not going to stop."

We can't be bargained with. We can't be reasoned with. We don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And we absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Signs look good for him staying

However he has been trained for media talk and will never publicly announce he is off

Tying MP down to a new contract is literally the biggest thing we can do this summer,for so many players to come out and urge the board to give him one shows just how much they enjoy working with him and the impact he has had

If we can get MP to sign I can't see anyone leaving

From the Mirror report of yesterday's game...

Shaw believes this summer could be seminal for both Southampton and England.

He said: “It’s a big time for the club. They have to tie the manager down on a long-term contract, which will probably be the first thing they do.

“Then we’ve got to keep the star players linked with other clubs. This is a very important summer if we want to push on and I feel we can do that.”

So no, I am not just accepting he will leave in the summer. There is a possibility he will have his head turned by a massive offer from Chelsea, and if there is a bidding war which results in us receiving an offer of £30m plus then there is a chance the club will decide it is too good to turn down. But it is by no means the absolute certainty that many on this thread claim it is.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/football/shaw-focused-on-saints-career

Luke Shaw has downplayed speculation linking him with a move away from Southampton, but acknowledged the importance of this summer in determining the club's future.

Saints have enjoyed a fine second season back in the Barclays Premier League, with a comfortable top-10 finish all-but secured.

Off the field, though, things have been less serene following the January exit of ambitious - if divisive - executive chairman Nicola Cortese.

The departure raised question marks over the direction of the club and, while the much-speculated meltdown at St Mary's has not come to fruition, talk remains over the futures of star players and manager Mauricio Pochettino.

"I would say it is a big time for the club," highly-rated teenager Shaw said.

"They've got to get the manager down on a long-term contract, which will probably be the first thing they try and do.

"Then, obviously, to keep the stars that have been mentioned in the papers that have been linked with different clubs.

"This is a very important summer and if they want to push on then they are going to do things that I've just said.

"This club can push on, definitely, I think if we get our squad strengthened.

"I think in the next year or so we can be challenging the top five teams."

Owner Katharina Liebherr and her recently-formed board will sit down with Pochettino at the end of the season to discuss the plans going forwards.

Tying the former Argentina international down to a new deal would certainly be a sign of intent, and one which could keep the vultures away from St Mary's.

Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert have been linked with a move to pastures new, although it is 18-year-old Shaw attracting the most attention.

Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City are all reportedly after the England international, who this week was linked with Spanish giants Real Madrid.

Shaw said: "There is not a club I am not linked with, but I don't focus on that.

"My main focus is my football on the pitch and I just want to keep doing that.

"It doesn't really bother me the attention I get. I just stay focused on my game on the pitch. Whatever is said is said.

"Stuff like that is going to happen but my main priority is the games. We've still got six left, so all the focus is on that.

Today's story was brought to us by Dean Jones from the Sunday People/Mirror and earlier this year he did a Q&A session with Football Writers Association where he said

Best ever player?

Eric Cantona.

Best ever teams (club and international)?

Club... Manchester United 1999

International... France 2000.

I think I know who he supports

Ummm...Chelsea, as is well known.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2263069/Luke-Shaw-reveals-Chelsea-fan.html

The denials are unnecessary, anybody who has been paying attention will have picked up all the signals coming from Luke all season. He is a young guy in a group of young guys with whom he has grown up, they are like one big happy family all hugs and kisses and they are all doing well together at a club that is happy from top to bottom, no uncertainties, no infighting, no politics, everyone focussed on us being he Best in the land.

Can you really imagine an 18 year old in that situation wanting to walk away from all his mates and start again with a bunch of weirdo strangers at a different club, most of whom will operate in cliques hard to break into, no mates, no real friends, away from home for the first time, not guaranteed he'll fit in with them or management, not guaranteed a starting place in a team of fading prima donnas who are no better than Saints... and you've already been capped by England probably will go to the World Cup, probably earning as much as he would get elsewhere and so on.

It is obvious he loves it here with his pals. If in two or three years or so our project has failed for whatever reason then he will still be a very young man with vast experience, 50 caps and still a choice of any club he waits should he EVER want to leave.

Fans have to start thinking like top club fans if they want us to be a top club, a bit of arrogance, a bit of swagger and a great deal of confidence in themselves and the Club not like a bunch of snivelling, apologetic humble peasants who should be grateful for any crumbs of comfort that drop from the tables of the high and mighty...

We are Southampton, WE ARE the best! Think success, this is THE place to be.

That's how our lads think, that's what we must believe.

When Wayne Bridge went, we got in Le Saux as a great replacement (albeit temporarily). If the club reinvested, I would prefer English talent rather than wasting yet another £10-20mil on a foreign flop (Gaston, Osvaldo)

I personally think the most interesting thing from the brief conversations I had is the feedback from the England get togethers. The fact it's more a case of players from other clubs asking about life at Saints, Poch, Youth team integration etc than our lads getting poached/ tapped up by players from the bigger clubs (which they were joking before hand was the opposite of what they were expecting).

Obviously they'll all want to play Champions League football, but right now international recognition is a massive thing. Underestimate the morale between the players at your peril, Lovren really important to squad too apparently, especially the defenders, bit of a loon really (to someone like me that is happy with doing what I have to do and not a lot more in my working life anyway) demands perfection and 100% commitment in training, really took to Fonte when finding out they were going to be 1st choice CB's and took time to get to know him on and off the pitch. personally thing Chambers will partner him next season, has huge potential with the right support which I think he'll get, especially with Poch being an ex International CB himself.

This summer will be interesting anyway, hope I'm right as I think our squad will only get better year on year.

The denials are unnecessary, anybody who has been paying attention will have picked up all the signals coming from Luke all season. He is a young guy in a group of young guys with whom he has grown up, they are like one big happy family all hugs and kisses and they are all doing well together at a club that is happy from top to bottom, no uncertainties, no infighting, no politics, everyone focussed on us being he Best in the land.

Can you really imagine an 18 year old in that situation wanting to walk away from all his mates and start again with a bunch of weirdo strangers at a different club, most of whom will operate in cliques hard to break into, no mates, no real friends, away from home for the first time, not guaranteed he'll fit in with them or management, not guaranteed a starting place in a team of fading prima donnas who are no better than Saints... and you've already been capped by England probably will go to the World Cup, probably earning as much as he would get elsewhere and so on.

It is obvious he loves it here with his pals. If in two or three years or so our project has failed for whatever reason then he will still be a very young man with vast experience, 50 caps and still a choice of any club he waits should he EVER want to leave.

Fans have to start thinking like top club fans if they want us to be a top club, a bit of arrogance, a bit of swagger and a great deal of confidence in themselves and the Club not like a bunch of snivelling, apologetic humble peasants who should be grateful for any crumbs of comfort that drop from the tables of the high and mighty...

We are Southampton, WE ARE the best! Think success, this is THE place to be.

That's how our lads think, that's what we must believe.

I would certainly feel this way if I were in his shoes.

There is something new and exciting happening at Southampton and if I were a top, young English talent there wouldn't be anywhere else I'd rather be.

Or you can become a wealthy bench warmer......

When Wayne Bridge went, we got in Le Saux as a great replacement (albeit temporarily). If the club reinvested, I would prefer English talent rather than wasting yet another £10-20mil on a foreign flop (Gaston, Osvaldo)

This is just a cliche IMO, English players are just as prone to being expensive flops as foreigners. Look at Carroll, Adam and Downing at Liverpool. On the other hand we got Lovren for just £8m.

I wouldn't call Gaston a flop yet, he's only 23 and has been looking quite good in recent performances and his assist for JRod on Saturday was sublime.

It is worrying that after all this time, too many people still believe the fiction that masquerades as 'news' in the propaganda sheets that masquerade as newspapers. The only role of so-called sports reports in papers such as The Mail, The Sun, etc., and on pay-to-view TV channels, is to attract readers or subscribers who might then happen to see some of the other biased rubbish that is there to try to influence public opinion towards the prejudiced views of their wealthy owners. If you are going to publish propaganda you have to get people to read the propaganda sheet and that is the role of the sports pages, celeb lifestyles and salacious sex stories. Cynical? Moi?

Shaw is on a long contract and has repeatedly said he intends to stay at Southampton for the foreseeable future. The stories to the contrary are intended to attract attention and readers, but the writers are careful not to quote any foundation or any source. They can't because there isn't any.

It is worrying that after all this time, too many people still believe the fiction that masquerades as 'news' in the propaganda sheets that masquerade as newspapers. The only role of so-called sports reports in papers such as The Mail, The Sun, etc., and on pay-to-view TV channels, is to attract readers or subscribers who might then happen to see some of the other biased rubbish that is there to try to influence public opinion towards the prejudiced views of their wealthy owners. If you are going to publish propaganda you have to get people to read the propaganda sheet and that is the role of the sports pages, celeb lifestyles and salacious sex stories. Cynical? Moi?

Shaw is on a long contract and has repeatedly said he intends to stay at Southampton for the foreseeable future. The stories to the contrary are intended to attract attention and readers, but the writers are careful not to quote any foundation or any source. They can't because there isn't any.

Ha, an almost perfect description of our so called tabloids!

He is still only 18, he is playing every week for a top 8 side and broken into the england squad. He could easily stay for another 3 years and he would still only be 21.

There isn't a real rush for him to leave IMO.

i googlesed some facts yo!

the world record transfer fee for a defender is £35.3m

The world record for a teenager is £32.5m

The world record for a left back is £25.2m

Edit: Add them together + we should be asking £93m IMO

Edited by Bearsy

It's up to the new Board isn't it? Depends on their ambitions. If they don't want to push on then players like Luke will question whether the grass is really green here. If MP is signed up and 1 or 2 new faces come in then I don't think anyone will leave. Personally, I don't think AL will ever leave whatever happens. I have to say I am a bit wary of this new Board, though. Painting the financial situation as 'difficult' is really odd - the figures looked surprisingly good to me for a PL football club.

I think he'll still be here next season.

He's got four years left on his contract, seems to be happy here, and another year of improving and playing consistently will probably see his value go up more than the difference between 4 years left on his contract and 3 years left on his contract will bring it down.

After that, it'll depend on how Saints have done next season I reckon, whether he'll start wanting to leave.

i googlesed some facts yo!

the world record transfer fee for a defender is £35.3m

The world record for a teenager is £32.5m

The world record for a left back is £25.2m

Edit: Add them together + we should be asking £93m IMO

Is that how Spurs priced Bale??

I mean, he used to be a defender, teenager and left back!

Someone else made the point, keeping Poch is key, if everything is as hunky dory team spirit wise as we think it is then it's vital we keep the manager whose leaving could well disrupt that. Shaw himself has as good as made the same point to the owners with his comments

According to a friend who works on the Echo... Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez are all very happy at Saints and should stay. Shaw is too but he likes playing under Pochettino - if the manager goes, the chances are that he will too but only if Chelsea come in for him. If that happens, then we can expect Lukaku as part of the deal. Apparently Liverpool are keen on signing Lovren and his replacement will be Chambers - he is rated very highly and it is believed that he will eventually walk into the England team as a centre half. Nobody knows what Pochettino plans on doing.

I should mention that this friend once tipped me off that Sven Goran Erikson was going to our manager...

According to a friend who works on the Echo... Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez are all very happy at Saints and should stay. Shaw is too but he likes playing under Pochettino - if the manager goes, the chances are that he will too but only if Chelsea come in for him. If that happens, then we can expect Lukaku as part of the deal. Apparently Liverpool are keen on signing Lovren and his replacement will be Chambers - he is rated very highly and it is believed that he will eventually walk into the England team as a centre half. Nobody knows what Pochettino plans on doing.

I should mention that this friend once tipped me off that Sven Goran Erikson was going to our manager...

An awful lot of assumptions in that lot!

How much access do the Echo have now that Cortese's gone? I know that he dropped some the restrictions before he left but there won't have been any love lost between them