Man City v Saints MATCH THREAD

Glasgow_Saint

Both penalties - no doubt. Fonte was stupid. Second is offside, confirmed on TV, 3rd is a mistake by Gazzaniga. Football is cruel. Jay Rod going off changes the game IMHO. Typical Saints!

Totally gutted for Jay, can only hope it's not too serious and that he can at least get back before the end of the season ... didn't look great though.

I honestly think, if we keep this squad and get a new goalkeeper and another centre back, we'll be good for next season. Fonte is good backup, but we need a goalie to challenge (or be better than) Boruc to avoid having to rely on a young goalie who is obviously a bit damaged from the last couple of seasons.

Really annoying match so far.

Think some will change their views when they see the reply said Delmary

Bet they don't.......there are some seriously, seriously sad people on here. Talk about Internet warriors........how on earth can anyone say that Fonte's challenge as not a penalty? Equally although on first play it looked like Gazza flapped for their 3rd as Minty says it was an absolutely fantastic cross that Boruc probably would not have reached either.

Still - don't let that concern you little boys behind your keyboards who have never done anything wrong in their lives.............

Bet they don't.......there are some seriously, seriously sad people on here. Talk about Internet warriors........how on earth can anyone say that Fonte's challenge as not a penalty? Equally although on first play it looked like Gazza flapped for their 3rd as Minty says it was an absolutely fantastic cross that Boruc probably would not have reached either.

Still - don't let that concern you little boys behind your keyboards who have never done anything wrong in their lives.............

So sad, the need to have a scapegoat

Mwah.

Hope we give a better account of ourselves in second half.

Kaspar in the summer please, Katharina.

Have you watched the game, or just seen the score? We gave an excellent account of ourselves, completely outplaying the champions elect on their own turf, who've cost a fortune to assemble. We're largely home grown, playing some delightful football, despite losing one of our best players to what looks like a very distressing (and World Cup ruining) injury. If the Lino isn't blind we'd still be one all. Yes, we need another keeper, the whole world knows that, but I'm probably even more proud of saints after that half than I was an hour ago ( if that's possible). Great team, great times ... I can survive being defeated by citeh and the linesman given how we play and all we represent.

He is one of the worst keepers I've seen in professional football.

I'm all for reasoned debate about these things, but statements like these are silly IMO. It seems once people have made up their mind about a player, they're almost looking to blame them for anything to justify their opinion.

I've seen it a few times now. He does hesitate and he could've done better, but the pace on the cross was deceptive and made it hard to judge, and so to make a comment like the one above is way OTT IMO.

SimonPeach: I am told Jay Rodriguez has not gone to hospital & is still at the Etihad Stadium. The severity of his knee injury is unclear right now.

It didn't look good to be honest, may be one of those that looks worse than it was..hopefully. But if it is as bad as it looked, he's easily looking at 10-12 months out in my opinion, have seen those innocuous knee collapses in the past. Need to start scouting for a replacement for him in the summer too!

Boruc may have reached it as his starting position would've probably been 1 step further out thus leaving less space for the cross and being a chance to reach the ball instead of flapping at fresh air.

Really disappointing to be 2 down on balance of play

First was a stupid move by Fonte, our goal was a good decision by the ref and a great finish, second goal was offside (although I didn't see at the time) and third goal was a big f*ck up by Gazza. Can't really see us getting back in it, and would probably take a 3-1 now.

I'm all for reasoned debate about these things, but statements like these are silly IMO. It seems once people have made up their mind about a player, they're almost looking to blame them for anything to justify their opinion.

I've seen it a few times now. He does hesitate and he could've done better, but the pace on the cross was deceptive and made it hard to judge, and so to make a comment like the one above is way OTT IMO.

He's not good enough though Minty, he's rubbish. It's not like it's his first game and we need to give him chances etc, he's been here a almost 2 years and has let in crap goals in every game! Not good enough and he needs to go to the level he's capable of being at, I feel sorry for him.

If the football authorites are not willing to introduce video technology to help adjudicate on offside decisions as blatant as that, then they must punish the incompetance of the linesman that fails to see it. It wasn't marginal, it was obvious. Decisions like that one can and do change games.

Regardless of how good that cross was, if you come for the ball and don't reach it, that's poor goalkeeping. I can't believe people are defending Gazzaniga.

Thing is, if he DIDN'T come for it, I guarentee that we would've had people saying he should've come for it. He made a decision and yes, perhaps he got it wrong, but the condemnation he is getting is completely disproportionate, that is my contention.

Regardless of how good that cross was, if you come for the ball and don't reach it, that's poor goalkeeping. I can't believe people are defending Gazzaniga.

This. Poor goalkeeping no matter how you cut it... if you come for it, you gotta get it!

********. Offside, needless penalty and a very good cross and finish. If Gazzanigga hadn't gone for it you'd all be moaning, as he'd have had no chance stuck on his line.

We've played well but MC are showing what a bit of money brings.. hardly any English players.....

He came for it, and missed by a mile. Therefore clearly his fault.

What a moron comment, he had no chance of saving the header that went in off the post.... So he had to come for it. The cross was just to good, very pacy outswinger.

He is in no way to blame for coming to get the cross. he had no choice, it was a goal unless he got the cross. Attack him for that, don't attack him for coming in the first place.

Literally fu cking retarded.

Thing is, if he DIDN'T come for it, I guarentee that we would've had people saying he should've come for it. He made a decision and yes, perhaps he got it wrong, but the condemnation he is getting is completely disproportionate, that is my contention.

Yes I believe people would of said the same if he didn't come for the cross. Poor goalkeeping isn't just technical actions, its the thought process and execution of methods such as his starting position, angle of body and timing of the dive. It was poor goalkeeping technically and mentally.

And its a factor we've seen a number of times in his performances for Saints.

So letting in 11 goals off 15 shots is an acceptable figure? He is as much use as a 3 legged cat burying a sh1t

Yes I believe people would of said the same if he didn't come for the cross. Poor goalkeeping isn't just technical actions, its the thought process and execution of methods such as his starting position, angle of body and timing of the dive. It was poor goalkeeping technically and mentally.

And its a factor we've seen a number of times in his performances for Saints.

But he is playing and deserves a bit more support IMO from some of our fans, rather than this constant expectation of a mistake... that's what bugs me the most. What happened to the notion of supporting our players, even if we know (and I agree) that he's not the best?

But he is playing and deserves a bit more support IMO from some of our fans, rather than this constant expectation of a mistake... that's what bugs me the most. What happened to the notion of supporting our players, even if we know (and I agree) that he's not the best?

If I was failing in my job everytime I did something I'd expect criticism.

Reading through here and online is cringeworthy. Yes, the 2nd goal was offside, and the official made a mistake, but that's all it was. They way some people are going on its as if the lino saw it was offside, then realised its Man City and thought "no I must help out the big sides" and kept his flag down.

That's a different matter, we're discussing whether he was at fault for. Yes you should support your players rain or shine but people are just frustrated because its continuous.

Like a lot of our defeats, its the way we lose them that is the most frustrating.

Chelsea is the only game where I've felt, fair play, and every other team has some sort of luck going for them.

Oh well, never dull being a Saints fan :D

If I was failing in my job everytime I did something I'd expect criticism.

Criticism is one thing, some of the comments he's had are way OTT. As I already said, that's my point. And more importantly, he's the only GK we've got... you need to support people in that position, not crush any trace of confidence they may have had... and when you compare todays 'mistake' with some of Boruc's this season, like the Arsenal one, todays was nothing like it.

People have made their minds up and Gazza is on a hiding to nothing.

Clearly didn't see Tommy Forecast or Michael Stensgaard play.

What are your thoughts as a coach ? When I watch lallana, J Rod and Lambert you can see a progression in areas they were lacking but everytime I have seen Gazza he has made the same old mistakes time and time again. This is despite what I hear that he came highly recommended and was being looked at by bigger clubs then us.

Lack of aptitude, ability or hard work ?

Criticism is one thing, some of the comments he's had are way OTT. As I already said, that's my point. And more importantly, he's the only GK we've got... you need to support people in that position, not crush any trace of confidence they may have had... and when you compare todays 'mistake' with some of Boruc's this season, like the Arsenal one, todays was nothing like it.

People have made their minds up and Gazza is on a hiding to nothing.

We paid £2.5 million for him Minty and nothing for Boruc. Obviously that isnt his fault but you cant expect people to not make the equation.