Luke Shaw - Done Deal

Gemmel

Luke is 18 and (according to the Guardian) already on £25,000 a week - or £1.3m per year (plus whatever deals he can command for watches, boots and stuff).

Why would he want to leave Surrey (East Molesey, no less) and move to Cheshire where it rains all the fecking time?

He's in the England squad. He can win stuff here. We'll get better. United are going backwards.

If he wants to earn the big bucks, hang around here for a while then, aged 20, with a bit more life under his belt, he can take his pick of Munchen, Barca, Real, Citeh... And we'll see if United are resurgent by then. They might not be you know.

Luke is 18 and (according to the Guardian) already on £25,000 a week - or £1.3m per year (plus whatever deals he can command for watches, boots and stuff).

Why would he want to leave Surrey (East Molesey, no less) and move to Cheshire where it rains all the fecking time?

He's in the England squad. He can win stuff here. We'll get better. United are going backwards.

If he wants to earn the big bucks, hang around here for a while then, aged 20, with a bit more life under his belt, he can take his pick of Munchen, Barca, Real, Citeh... And we'll see if United are resurgent by then. They might not be you know.

Very much sums up my opinion.

Unfortunately, I think that's clutching at straws. Imagine doing a job you love, then being offered the same job at a different organisation for four times the salary. You'd take it wouldn't you? Imagine making that decision at 18, especially with your parents in your ear who no doubt stand to make a few quid. I'm coming round to the idea that if we can get circa 32 million I'd take it and rebuild.

Unfortunately, I think that's clutching at straws. Imagine doing a job you love, then being offered the same job at a different organisation for four times the salary. You'd take it wouldn't you? Imagine making that decision at 18, especially with your parents in your ear who no doubt stand to make a few quid. I'm coming round to the idea that if we can get circa 32 million I'd take it and rebuild.

I know another young players parents and they wouldn't let him buy a sports car, let alone take money off him... Just depends what your values are doesn't it.

I'm just working off the Neymar/Oxlade Chamberlain examples. Nevertheless, Luke stands to make a heck of a lot of money playing for arguably the biggest club on the planet. I would love him to play here as I think he could become the best left back in the world in a couple of years, but taking my Saints-tinted glasses off I would go, and I shan't begrudge him the move if he decides to leave.

Its a matter of time. Its all just posturing, the lallana bid will have helped saints position. Theyll have suggested that they will only sell one player and to up the bid. Will be wrapped up in the next few days

I'm just working off the Neymar/Oxlade Chamberlain examples. Nevertheless, Luke stands to make a heck of a lot of money playing for arguably the biggest club on the planet. I would love him to play here as I think he could become the best left back in the world in a couple of years, but taking my Saints-tinted glasses off I would go, and I shan't begrudge him the move if he decides to leave.

Me neither in fairness. If you want loyalty, buy a dog. One poor season and we'd all be calling for him to be dropped... Would be a shame to see him go so young though. When we don't need to sell him. I haven't written off him, Adam ad Rickie competing here for CL positions next year. Kat isn't short of a few bob. Just depends how much fun she wants..

Been saying it all season that he is the best left back in the league. That makes him a premium player which demands a premium price. £27m isn't a premium price. They paid that for Fellaini. They paid that for Rooney ten years ago. Mata at £37m is more like it. Our fans and the media seriously undervalue some of our players.

Shaw is an amazing young talent, but he's not irreplaceable. If we could get £30m for him and it was re-invested in the squad I would happily drive him up there myself.

He's irreplaceable IMO.

If we get Poch signed up then I think its more likely players will stay. in pretty much every interview you hear every single one of them talk about him and he has improved their game.

To get him signed the board probably have to give him assurances over transfer fees, maybe one sale for big bucks plus some extra on top (say £15 million) then that might be enough to convince him, who knows maybe those are the sought of negotiations that are going on.

So maybe one of Shaw or Lallana might go but Poch signed long term might be the key to Morgan, Lovren etc.

Its a matter of time. Its all just posturing, the lallana bid will have helped saints position. Theyll have suggested that they will only sell one player and to up the bid. Will be wrapped up in the next few days

Pipe down negative idiot.

Shaw is an amazing young talent, but he's not irreplaceable. If we could get £30m for him and it was re-invested in the squad I would happily drive him up there myself.

I totally get what you are saying, I just think there is absolutely no reason not to squeeze every last pound out of any potential transfers. Given the ridiculous transfer fees of the last few years, the premium that English players seem to demand, and the fact that shaw and lallana are on decent length contracts - we should hold out for silly money.

Any idea how that 30M would be better than having Shaw?

You don't turn down an initial bid of £27mill then accept £30mill, come on now. If they went straight in at £27mill there's clearly plenty left in them, we could get £40mill out of them.

Yep especially after all their talks about how much they have to spend this summer...

Pipe down negative idiot.

You think saints would let him go with the first bid. This is all about making it appear as if they are squeezing more money out of United and trying to keep hold of him. The fans would be mad if they let him to straight away. It's done

You think saints would let him go with the first bid. This is all about making it appear as if they are squeezing more money out of United and trying to keep hold of him. The fans would be mad if they let him to straight away. It's done

Hows it done we just rejected the bid?

Agree with this. Although shaw currently lives in Dibden Purlieu.

No team is built around a left back. Of course we will be worse of without him, but it isn't the end of the world. Lovren, Schneiderlin and Lallana are far more vital to us

Clearly you have no idea how important fullbacks are in the modern game or to our system which doesn't rely on wingers.

If the end product was a little more refined, the number of assists Shaw would get would easily be in the double digits.

Edited by shurlock

Hows it done we just rejected the bid?

It's called putting on a show. Southampton have to look strong in the media, that they put up a fight and got a good deal. United understand that Southampton can't be seen to give up their best young talent without putting up a fight and Southampton fans would all berate the board if he went at the first bid. Now you'll all turn around and say 'glad we got that extra few million' 'the board did a good job to get them paying over the odds' when it will just be the same deal that was always agreed.

Members of the media will feed the story because they have to toe the line with clubs if they want exclusives in the future.

Reaction on RedCafe is hilarious, along the lines of 'how dare they value him higher than our first bid' and 'we should go and buy someone else to spite them now'

All comes down to how much they're willing to pay to not have to wait four years or to risk someone else buying him first.

We don't want to sell, he's on a long contract, his value is expected to keep rising, and with Man Utd. not having European football next season, I don't think Shaw is going to try and force a move through this window. He's getting a World Cup spot playing for us. If next summer United can offer him Champions League football again, they might have more luck.

Biggest risk of him leaving this window imo is if Chelsea offer him first team football and make him want to move.

Or at 18, he can go and play for one of the biggest clubs on the planet. An utterly iconic club in world football, under a manager who has won the lot across Europe and be part of a new generation

And a mahooosive pay rise.

Stuff of dreams really

It was pretty much a done deal NC was happy to off load Lambert. He is only here know because KL and her mates stopped it happening. That being the case why would people think NC wouldn't have happily off loaded Adam or Luke if the price was right?

All supposition....it didn't happen. Nor did Lallana/Shaw. Typical of some on here putting one and one together and getting three. The concern is will the Board now hold on to our best players to allow progression or will we settle for a permanent mid-table slot (or worse)? Fact is, we finished 8th because of the quality of the 1st team...weaken that and we'll lose the current impetus.

All supposition....it didn't happen. Nor did Lallana/Shaw. Typical of some on here putting one and one together and getting three. The concern is will the Board now hold on to our best players to allow progression or will we settle for a permanent mid-table slot (or worse)? Fact is, we finished 8th because of the quality of the 1st team...weaken that and we'll lose the current impetus.

Equally supposition that our miracle man former chairman would have magically prevented our best players from wanting to play for the biggest clubs in the world, right?

Because our miracle man ex chairman so believed in the "project" and how no one vital to it should ever leave...that he promptly left, after one whole season in the Prem.

Using the idea that players like fellaini and Carroll were disgustingly over priced should not be justification that shaw is worth more than aguero

What are you on about? Justification or sentiment has nothing to do with it. United will pay what they need to pay. Imagine a captain on your submarine. He's very impatient and just fired the head cook and insists on a full English. You have the sausages, beans, mushrooms, hash browns but discover at the last minute, far away from land, you have no eggs and the captain loves his omelettes, perhaps you would pay a premium if someone was offering a box of grade AA, free range eggs. Simple supply and demand.

Arguably the cases of Carroll and Fellaini are more analogous than Aguero since those deals were between English clubs which is always inflationary; both Liverpool and United had a big wad of money they needed to spend quickly - like United this summer. Most importantly neither Carroll or Fellaini, like Shaw, had buyout clauses (Fellaini's had just expired). Aguero did and was begging for a move which invariably pushed down the price. :facepalm:

Edited by shurlock

Any idea how that 30M would be better than having Shaw?

I obviously meant £30m as an absolute minimum. But that there is 3 good players worth of money. We have Clyne who can happily cover lb, and Chambers we all know is quite ready to be a first team regular. We also have Targett waiting in the wings (no pun intended). Thats a lot of money for one player we can cover fairly easily, and if what I heard last night is true, we may be looking for more than one goalkeeper this summer.

Ok, are you saying shaw is worth more than Sturridge?

What submarines have to do with any of this, I don't know

Don't ask me. Ask Woodward or Glazer - they're the ones willing to pay this amount. Or ask Chelsea who have deep pockets and don't seem to have a problem with letting unwanted players go on the relative cheap.

Do I think Shaw will be a better player than Sturridge. Yes.

I obviously meant £30m as an absolute minimum. But that there is 3 good players worth of money. We have Clyne who can happily cover lb, and Chambers we all know is quite ready to be a first team regular. We also have Targett waiting in the wings (no pun intended). Thats a lot of money for one player we can cover fairly easily, and if what I heard last night is true, we may be looking for more than one goalkeeper this summer.

Boruc off too???

Ok, are you saying shaw is worth more than Sturridge?

What submarines have to do with any of this, I don't know

It's in reference to someone who used to post on here called 'Dell days'. Before your time, nothing to do with you Brett, don't worry about it.

Not that well though, he's alright but first choice? Not a chance.

They really don't like woodward

Originally Posted by The Watcher viewpost.gif

I know you're lurking Woodward. Just pay what they want & sign him up you f**king s*****.

Originally Posted by Sparky*** viewpost.gif

We'd better get used to this I guess. It's going to be 3 months of that f**kwit Woodward ballooning around Europe getting told to f**k off left, right and centre.

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2, bgcolor: #CCCCCC][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Barracuda

[/TD]

[TD=width: 100%] [/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF]icon1.gif

Chairmen can spot him a mile off, he's not exactly been keeping a lid on how much money we're looking to spend ... £150M here, £200M there, major squad rebuilding etc.

He's up there with Kenyon in the dopey c**t stakes.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]