Luke Shaw - Done Deal

Gemmel

No he's not. Really, he's not. He's not integral to the way we play, he doesn't score, he doesn't assist. He could break his leg in pre-season. 27m for a LB is.stupid.money and if we're going to reinvest it then it is worth taking the money.

Don't be silly Jeff.

Luke needs to weigh up his options carefully. He will end up at a top club playing champions league; united are a top club, but in order to be certainties for champions league they need a complete new back 4 and a central midfielder and will they spend all that's required? He may as well stay with us next season and see how united improve and join in January or next summer? There may have been conversations since January, but the landscape in terms of United has changed rather dramatically since then.

Chelsea, on the other hand, just need a striker a replacement for terry and a left back but don't appear to want to spend a huge amount and are obviously prioritising the striker. Chelsea's position may be to go another season with terry and cole and again that could allow us another season with Luke. But, if he plays and performs at the World Cup who's to say that someone like Madrid won't go for him?

I think we all need to realise that he will go at some point, and the when is down to Luke and the relevant clubs having the desire (or need) to spend what will be a huge amount for a teenager. I think the press links to the young player at nice indicate we are looking at options for whenever he does go. It will be sad whenever it does happen, but he will be a champions league player for most of his career, and we are highly unlikely to be a champions league club in that same period.

David McDonnell from Mirror is reporting that deal is near and just final pieces of contract are just left to be completed. He is in the know at Utd so I would suggest this is accurate or Utd have got him to deliberately leak this for their own agenda.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-luke-shaw-3529790

FWIW I think if Shaw is to leave then Utd is the best club for him. I would be gutted of course but good luck to the lad. Dont think we will miss him as much as we would miss Lallana though.

I find it hard to believe that Saints have just accepted this 27m bid for Shaw. If they were telling the truth and before yesteday we had received no bids, why on earth would we roll over, on the day of his world cup selection, to the first bid that comes in....Shaw has no idea who the new manager is there and also currently has no idea who else might be in for him.

Here are some facts.

1. Luke Shaw is 18 and lives down the road from me in East Molesey.

2. Manchester United have no manager.

I'm not sure where you've heard this but it's not consistent with very recent information I've heard from a very reliable source close to the club that he's very likely to stay this summer and that when he goes it will be to Chelsea. Things can change but the links to Chelsea are stronger than just being a fan.

As hinted above, it'll be Chelsea not Utd... maybe the deal to Chelsea is already done and Utd are just trying to disrupt things having found out yesterday. All should become clear in the near future I hope, we need some certainty sooner rather than later.

I find it hard to believe that Saints have just accepted this 27m bid for Shaw. If they were telling the truth and before yesteday we had received no bids, why on earth would we roll over, on the day of his world cup selection, to the first bid that comes in....Shaw has no idea who the new manager is there and also currently has no idea who else might be in for him.

I think as has been mentioned before this deal has probably in the pipeline for months. if it is £27-30m plus add-ons i don't see how we (or many other clubs to be fair) could turn it down

Firstly heavily mentioned in the papers the day after they mathematically couldn't qualify for the champions league. Repeated after they didn't qualify for the Europa league.

The only reason it's in the paper is to divert attention from their shocking season.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Reality is that at the moment we have a manager who won't make his mind up about staying until he knows what the board want to do about selling the clubs' best assets; the players don't know whether they would stay if the manager intended to stay; the board have no concrete firm offers on the table = stalemate. For what it's worth Shaw to Chelsea with Lukaku + £10m ish in exchange would be a good deal for us. Could get a decent LB replacement for £10m.

Firstly heavily mentioned in the papers the day after they mathematically couldn't qualify for the champions league. Repeated after they didn't qualify for the Europa league.

The only reason it's in the paper is to divert attention from their shocking season.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

add to the fact that they are also being outshone by the better half of Manchester as well. Clearly the timing of the bid is a blatant bid to reflect away from the catastrophic failure this season has been for them. Although that doesn't mean the bid would have come at some stage anyway.

Overall I would like to think the club wouldn't be stupid enough to negotiate any transfer of any player prior to a world cup but then nothing would surprise me with saints to be honest.

I feel sick.

We are throwing away the legacy of the last 5 years.

We must be in serious money trouble, or KL has lied and RK is just an asset-stripper.

It's not looking good but could accept us selling players as long as there's a commitment to strengthen with the proceeds. Will wait and see what the board does.

Though a shame, could accept us selling players as long as there's a commitment to strengthen with the proceeds. So will wait and see what the board does.

Can you really see us engaging better than Shaw and Lallana ?

How can it possibly be viewed as anything but a step backwards ?

It depends how you look at it I suppose.

We'd get near on £50 million for the pair & with the possibility of Osvaldo\Gaston & the TV money boosting the transfer kitty it may make sense to ship them out early to gurantee funds to MoPo.

If the replacements for Lallana & Shaw are slightly weaker but we're able to buy additions that make the squad stronger overall, is it a 1 step back, 2 step forward approach?

It depends how you look at it I suppose.

We'd get near on £50 million for the pair & with the possibility of Osvaldo\Gaston & the TV money boosting the transfer kitty it may make sense to ship them out early to gurantee funds to MoPo.

If the replacements for Lallana & Shaw are slightly weaker but we're able to buy additions that make the squad stronger overall, is it a 1 step back, 2 step forward approach?

To be fair I have heard that line trotted out everytime we have sold a star. I cant think of too many times when we have been stronger at the end of the transfer period.

Sell those 4 and we'd bring in £75+ million. With TV money and 8th, you'd expect us to have a good £20 million or more to spend regardless. So near £100 million.

Problems with that?

a) buying loads of players at once never works

b) what top value players would want to sign for the club that's just sold off all its ambition?

c) fans will insist on lots of money being spend regardless

I agree with this. I would have liked us to keep what we've got, got another CB, another GK and a couple of strikers.

Most likely a step backwards but if MP is allowed to spend the money and we can strengthen up top and improve squad depth, who knows. Out of all our assets, I would be inclined to let Morgan go as Cork and Victor could do very well in the middle (wtf Cork isn't tied down is a glaring failure). But talk about cashing in is hardly encouraging and symbolically it all stinks.

Buy a new lb for about 10 million, chuck 17m at Chelsea for Lukaku

New LB turns out to be the next Olivier Bernard, Lukaku continues to not live up to his early hype, pretty soon we've lost the "new Bale" and have as much to show for it as when we sold Shearer for a ludicrous record fee and bought Speedie and Dixon.

Those who think getting a big fee means that a proven high level player won't be missed really haven't seen what our record of replacing top players has been.

Who were the great players we bought with the money from Bale? Dean Richards? Tim Flowers? It really doesn't generally work that way at all. add to that the question of why Lukaku or a genuinely good £10m left back actually want to sign for a club in the process of selling off its better players.

30m buys you Osvaldo and Ramirez, 30m can buy you Andy Carroll. Expect 50% of new signings not to work out.

Strange as it may appear, tell a lie often enough and some clown will believe it and then exagerate it to such a degree that the 'doubters' will also change their minds. Until I hear it officially, Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana are not for sale before (or after) the World Cup.Hansen said on MOTD "we must sell" why? The Londoncentric supporters of them 'Big Fish' are worried that their status in the Press is being diminished by a 'Little Fish' from the South.

PS.Mauricio is staying too.

If we hadnt wasted so much money on those two lazy useless S. Americans, perhaps we might have been better placed to fight off the bids we are now being bombarded with.

Unrelated but good chance for you to bemoan our "South American's".

Daily Mail saying its virtually done and set to be announced before the World Cup. United still working hard at PR it seems.

Lambert on SSN was a bit evasive "our performances are going to attract interest from the big clubs", though did suggest that nobody is thinking beyond the WC at the moment.

Shaw certainly has a big decision to make. He could move to a massive club and play with world class players at the highest European level, or he could go to Man Utd and play with Tom Cleverley. It must be really difficult for him.

Yet we would be in exactly the same position with the old board...why people think NC was magically able to stop this situation happening is beyond me. He was happy to flog Lambert to WHU and he couldn't stop Oxo going to Arsenal why would he be able to stop Luke or Adam leaving now?

Woah there cowboy....NC happy to flog Lambert? You mean the Lambert that is still with us picking up his WC cap? Of course NC couldn't stop Oxo...where were we in the league at that point then? What wages etc could we offer then? The fair play rules are closing in on these so-called 'big clubs'...another year or two and we could be a club players want to come to or stay at. If the Board allows our best players to be sold (rather than the also rans), then what the hell is the point for the supporters of the club? That is why this summer is clearly wholly pivotal in determining where we head from here. Having said that, I have heard that Targett is considered better than Shaw, so perhaps keeping Shaw until Targett is ready is the right strategy.

As someone who watched Targett play for 20 mins in a youth game 18 months ago, I can assure you he will never be half the player Shaw is.

From the first time I saw Shaw in the U18's it was obvious just how good he was. His ability at that age was far above anyone else on the pitch, and this was a team including Chambers, Reed and Ward-Prowse. From what I've seen of Targett he looks good, but has never stood out to the extent Shaw did. My gut feeling is that in time he'll turn out to be a decent player, but not one that will burst onto the scene anywhere near as quickly as Shaw.

I have heard that Targett is considered better than Shaw.

Targett is only 61 days younger than Shaw! The age gap is so small they are effectively the same age for comparison purposes, yet Shaw has played nearly 60 games for a Premier League side and is going to the World Cup and Targett is yet to make a senior team appearance. By no means am I dismissing Targett as a player, but there is a vast gulf in where they both are at the moment when you consider they are only 2 months different in age.

Woah there cowboy....NC happy to flog Lambert? You mean the Lambert that is still with us picking up his WC cap? Of course NC couldn't stop Oxo...where were we in the league at that point then? What wages etc could we offer then? The fair play rules are closing in on these so-called 'big clubs'...another year or two and we could be a club players want to come to or stay at. If the Board allows our best players to be sold (rather than the also rans), then what the hell is the point for the supporters of the club? That is why this summer is clearly wholly pivotal in determining where we head from here. Having said that, I have heard that Targett is considered better than Shaw, so perhaps keeping Shaw until Targett is ready is the right strategy.

It was pretty much a done deal NC was happy to off load Lambert. He is only here know because KL and her mates stopped it happening. That being the case why would people think NC wouldn't have happily off loaded Adam or Luke if the price was right?

Could not agree more. The only thing more depressing than losing these two is considering how average the likely replacements will be. I've seen Bertrand mentioned for example. He is a. Million miles off Shaw.

Could not agree more. The only thing more depressing than losing these two is considering how average the likely replacements will be. I've seen Bertrand mentioned for example. He is a. Million miles off Shaw.

How about Ashley Cole, would soften the blow a bit. Add Lukaku and things might not look so bad.

I know which of those papers I'd believe!

Suspect this a bargaining position. Everyone knows United will be desperate this summer so we should absolutely try and fleece them