Luke Shaw - Done Deal

Gemmel

For once you've talked a bit of sense Franco. Like you say, the reason we have a transfer 'debt' is because of this. Funny how it's fine for us to do it to other clubs but not for other clubs to do it to us.

As for the fee, £30m is a huge amount of money for a teenage full back. It'll make him the most expensive full back of all time too. Not quite sure why people are calling it a shambles, a terrible deal and lost faith on the board. A world record fee for a full back ain't a terrible deal in most sane peoples eyes.

Agreed. So it is strange that this latest "scoop" goes into such detail. Also, when did Luke go to Holland to meet Van Gaal and how come that toothy tosser from SSN, who has been stalking Van Gaal for the past week, miss him.

For once you've talked a bit of sense Franco. Like you say, the reason we have a transfer 'debt' is because of this. Funny how it's fine for us to do it to other clubs but not for other clubs to do it to us.

As for the fee, £30m is a huge amount of money for a teenage full back. It'll make him the most expensive full back of all time too. Not quite sure why people are calling it a shambles, a terrible deal and lost faith on the board. A world record fee for a full back ain't a terrible deal in most sane peoples eyes.

It's impressive deal for sure, if we have to sell him. I don't agree though with those who think we'll then go out and spend 30m and build a better team. We'll spend part of that and have the same roughly 50% hit and miss rate as we and every other team do, which probably won't improve the team overall, as Shaw will be a noticeable loss.

We will be a better team if we can possibly keep him and lose out on the transfer money. Keeping Shaw would help convince other players to stay too. I think once Shaw and Lallana go (and frankly, they really should, especially Lallana), it'll tell a lot of our players exactly where we stand as a club and I think others will feel more inclined to move on. If you're in any demand, why stay at a club selling the players it would need to push on at all?

Also, despite it being a whopping fee, he's better than Bale was at the same age and who knows what his value will be in 5 years if they sell him. The Bale fee was ridiculous at the time, but doesn't look so great in retrospect, seeing what the money got us and what his next move was worth.

i'm holding on to the dream of them staying, because them leaving signifies the end of our upward trajectory (which may already have peaked anyway). This is the perfect time for Lallana to move on though and Liverpool would be a decent club for him. Hope he doesn't do the sensible thing.

Hold on to all of them at all cost until after the WC, it's not rocket science

Can see shaw having a blinder, us looking like bigger mugs because he ll then be worth double

I can see Baines starting all of them and Shaw not getting on (although if you had been at SMS when we played Everton you would go the other way).

All is still going to plan, don't worry. Now the manager is officially in place the deal will be announced in the coming days. United will fly medics out to Portugal

So, you´re a United fan. Cant be happy with the season that just ended I guess..??

It's impressive deal for sure, if we have to sell him. I don't agree though with those who think we'll then go out and spend 30m and build a better team. We'll spend part of that and have the same roughly 50% hit and miss rate as we and every other team do, which probably won't improve the team overall, as Shaw will be a noticeable loss.

We will be a better team if we can possibly keep him and lose out on the transfer money. Keeping Shaw would help convince other players to stay too. I think once Shaw and Lallana go (and frankly, they really should, especially Lallana), it'll tell a lot of our players exactly where we stand as a club and I think others will feel more inclined to move on. If you're in any demand, why stay at a club selling the players it would need to push on at all?

Also, despite it being a whopping fee, he's better than Bale was at the same age and who knows what his value will be in 5 years if they sell him. The Bale fee was ridiculous at the time, but doesn't look so great in retrospect, seeing what the money got us and what his next move was worth.

i'm holding on to the dream of them staying, because them leaving signifies the end of our upward trajectory (which may already have peaked anyway). This is the perfect time for Lallana to move on though and Liverpool would be a decent club for him. Hope he doesn't do the sensible thing.

£30 million is a good deal, but will still be so AFTER the World Cup. (And we haven't even seen if any other clubs are keen on putting a bid in for him yet.) It's not the amount of the transfer fee that concerns me, but (potentially) how quick the jewels seem to want to 'jump ship' to other clubs, so soon after the conclusion of the Premier League season. (If these media reports are to be believed, and I'm not entirely sure I do.) Are they concerned that if they get an injury in Brazil their transfers could be scuppered? I'd have thought their concentrations would be solely on WC preparations, rather than securing their futures at other clubs.

Agree the £30m or the timing of installments are probably the least interesting parts of the contract, if true. More interested in knowing if there is a sell-on clause and what % it is.

Agree the £30m or the timing of installments are probably the least interesting parts of the contract, if true. More interested in knowing if there is a sell-on clause and what % it is.

...and incentives. i.e. Utd winning the league, qualifying for Europe etc etc.

...and incentives. i.e. Utd winning the league, qualifying for Europe etc etc.

Yep, especially as nobody knows if this season was a blip before ordinary service is resumed or the beginning of the end of their dominance.

Agreed. So it is strange that this latest "scoop" goes into such detail. Also, when did Luke go to Holland to meet Van Gaal and how come that toothy tosser from SSN, who has been stalking Van Gaal for the past week, miss him.

In the sixty minutes between check in and departure at Heathrow, he must have had time to pop up to Manchester to meet Van Gaal. I was sure Luke was on a plane to Portugal today.

With the news the Cole is leaving Chelsea I wonder if this will bring them into the running for Shaw?

I hope not as I want him to stay, but at least if it does it means 2 of the biggest teams in the league fighting for him and surely that will only mean a better deal for us?

He's commented about the Dodd and Williams situation on his twitter saying wrong decision. Can't see him slagging off the club if he was staying.

Could just as easy argue that he wouldn't care if he was going.

I agree - I would rather Shaw stayed, but let's be honest, if we get the £30m for him, we have done great business. Yes he might be 'the new Bale' etc. etc. (I don't think that is true anyway), but you don't build your team around a left-back, I would far rather we held on to Lallana, Lovren and Schneiderlin - bigger impact on the overall team if we lose any of these players.

As for timing of payments - I go to football to enjoy the game, not to worry about the company's cash flow phasing... I hardly think we are getting £30m up front, but over three years £30m is still a lot of revenue.

It would be utterly hilarious if shaw stayed at saints for no other reason than the journos are absolutely certain he has all but signed for united

On that note, another cracker from the Express

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/476981/VIDEO-Luke-Shaw-has-TOLD-friends-he-is-joining-Manchester-United

They can't even keep it consistent between the headline and the article who he's told this to.

It's all part of the game! No club has been given permission to talk to our players so it is illegal for them to approach individuals so obviously there have been no official discussions involving Luke Shaw or anybody else. Thus the Big clubs must resort to unsettling players by using their pals in the press to write speculative rubbish and always note that every article has a cop out clause which the press can cling to should they be challenged legally.

What a pity we don't seem to have many friends in the press after Cortese's toys throwing tantrums. Even The Southern Echo is not entirely back in the fold so hardly a suitable ally to take the fight back to Fleet Street and the BBC just plain don't like us and as their sport set up is now based in Manchester thee isn't much prospect of that changing anytime soon.

All I can say is that I hope and trust that our kids have developed some maturity of mind along with their excellent football and physical condition and are able to keep a cool head and see out this media storm. We should also hope and pray that they are getting some good advice from within the club and from Roy and his Rovers. We will be fine as long as they can still tell the difference between all this self-seeking ballsh.it and honest sincerity. Mind you there isn't much of the latter on offer in professional football especially of the money-soaked Premier league is concerned.

The lads should bear this ion mind - as good as they are now, they will become squad players elsewhere, rarely getting a start or 90 mins and a surefire way of slipping into mediocrity and anonymity in very short order. If then they cannot deliver as well, Sh.it Creek will soon be an unwanted destination for their future careers.

OK so let him get on with it and let's get those swans to spend on our team. Totally replaceable as a left back tbh. The board need to man up, admit that he's a gonner, secure all of the rest and buy the 3 or 4 players that we need to really move on to the next level. Just do not see the sense of beating about the bush any more, he's gone OK, move on. Kurzawa or the other Franco Pole from Nice, a striker, a keeper and a CB. Mauricio signs on the dotted line, everybody goes to the WC or on their hols, see you in July.

He is clearly going to go

I wonder how that sits with 'no one will go who Mauricio does not want to"

Perhaps Mauricio sees him as I do, great prospect, not the finished article, there's better for less and this way with the swans gents if you please. I'd certainly sell Shaw to fund the project.

Perhaps Mauricio sees him as I do, great prospect, not the finished article, there's better for less and this way with the swans gents if you please. I'd certainly sell Shaw to fund the project.

if we sold him for £30m I would certainly HOPE that £25m of that was given to MP, along with the so called £30m transfer kitty

if we cant find a GK, CB, LB, Striker with that money, someone needs shooting

throw in a pacey wide sort of player too

Would fit in with what I got told last week by someone who knows him.

I'd put up with just Shaw leaving for a lot of money and sell on fees, but Lallana and Poch are more important IMO. He is going to be the worlds best left back within a couple of years though.

That Mirror article is ********. Firstly, they say that the family were unsure about him moving away from their base in Surrey. Well he has been living in Dibden Purlieu the last few years. I'd believe it more if they said he had moved out of that house, and said goodbye to the family who have looked after him while here. Which happened the last weekend of the season.

Still think he'll end up at Chelsea, who he supports. Perhaps we're using Utd to bump the price up?

Chelsea don't want him. They're after Felipe Luis at atletico, as I said last week...

Seeing as how people acted on here when there were actual Southampton members of staff posting I expect everyone to yell troll.

This deal has been long on the making since January. City and Chelsea were interested but his family decided that their history with young players was a concern. Add to that United can afford a big fee and wages, FFP is not worry for them, the deal was done with Luke ages ago. The only way he was ever going to end up at Chelsea/City was if he forced his way out and threw a big strop that he only wanted to join one of them etc. the line all along coming from the Shaw camp has been that he is happy to join united but he respects Southampton and won't go unless a deal can be agreed, eg he won't force his way out of the club publicly. He's kept to his end of the deal and the two clubs have got the deals they wanted.

The fee was agreed with Southampton, in principle, some time ago and it's just been about ironing out the fine fine details and making it look like they put up a good fight. After all, you can't let a bid come in for your best young player straight after the last game and have the deal done within 5 days. Southampton will want to get the deal done early because their summer budget depends on at least one outgoing. If they sell Shaw they can afford to cling onto lallana unless a silly bid comes in. The deal will be formally signed off before Shaw flies out to Brazil. It's what suits everyone, including Hodgson.

Chelsea don't want him. They're after Felipe Luis at atletico, as I said last week...

Seeing as how people acted on here when there were actual Southampton members of staff posting I expect everyone to yell troll.

This deal has been long on the making since January. City and Chelsea were interested but his family decided that their history with young players was a concern. Add to that United can afford a big fee and wages, FFP is not worry for them, the deal was done with Luke ages ago. The only way he was ever going to end up at Chelsea/City was if he forced his way out and threw a big strop that he only wanted to join one of them etc. the line all along coming from the Shaw camp has been that he is happy to join united but he respects Southampton and won't go unless a deal can be agreed, eg he won't force his way out of the club publicly. He's kept to his end of the deal and the two clubs have got the deals they wanted.

The fee was agreed with Southampton, in principle, some time ago and it's just been about ironing out the fine fine details and making it look like they put up a good fight. After all, you can't let a bid come in for your best young player straight after the last game and have the deal done within 5 days. Southampton will want to get the deal done early because their summer budget depends on at least one outgoing. If they sell Shaw they can afford to cling onto lallana unless a silly bid comes in. The deal will be formally signed off before Shaw flies out to Brazil. It's what suits everyone, including Hodgson.

I was buying this until you mentioned Hodgson having any say in the matter

I was buying this until you mentioned Hodgson having any say in the matter

I find it hard to believe this due to it being totally at odds with the official statement made by a director of a multi million pound business. A statement that was made to the press & on website. Made without anyone directly disputing it.

A statement made when the club didn't need to, and probably gained little.

Would they really publish a clear lie? I doubt it.

Therefore I'm not believing there was an approach or offer prior to the statement.

Twitter is no more a source than 'paper' or 'screen'. Who said it on Twitter?

I realise twitter is not the place to find my transfer information. Just passing it on for those on here that don't tweet. Connor Armstrong posted it, but said it was garnered from stories online. When I searched I could only find £27m which happens to be €33m.

That Mirror article is ********. Firstly, they say that the family were unsure about him moving away from their base in Surrey. Well he has been living in Dibden Purlieu the last few years. I'd believe it more if they said he had moved out of that house, and said goodbye to the family who have looked after him while here. Which happened the last weekend of the season.

At the end of last season the family agreed to look after him for one more year as Saints said he was too young to move out. So he was always going to leave them now whatever happened.

I find it hard to believe this due to it being totally at odds with the official statement made by a director of a multi million pound business. A statement that was made to the press & on website. Made without anyone directly disputing it.

A statement made when the club didn't need to, and probably gained little.

Would they really publish a clear lie? I doubt it.

Therefore I'm not believing there was an approach or offer prior to the statement.

There's a difference between an offer and an 'offer'. You have to read between the lines. Ed Woodward has strange ways of workings, on the mata deal united didn't make an 'offer' until it was all agreed and even then it was made through a third party. Woodward uses men with contacts at these clubs to broker the deals and they get a cut of the pie. What I'm saying is that the offer is the end game in these negotiations not the start. I'm sure if you asked united and saints if a bid had been made now they'd say no because, formally, there probably isn't one. The rest has all been sorted, bar a few minor bits, and when the 'offer' is made Shaw will have his medical and sign within a day.

In regards to Hodgson. He'll want his players focused on the World Cup and clubs have been briefed that he will let medicals happen etc outside of training sessions whilst they are in the pre World Cup camp but once they fly out to Brazil he will not let anything happen until England are out. It's in everyone's interest to get it done ASAP, and it will be.

There's a difference between an offer and an 'offer'. You have to read between the lines. Ed Woodward has strange ways of workings, on the mata deal united didn't make an 'offer' until it was all agreed and even then it was made through a third party. Woodward uses men with contacts at these clubs to broker the deals and they get a cut of the pie. What I'm saying is that the offer is the end game in these negotiations not the start. I'm sure if you asked united and saints if a bid had been made now they'd say no because, formally, there probably isn't one. The rest has all been sorted, bar a few minor bits, and when the 'offer' is made Shaw will have his medical and sign within a day.

In regards to Hodgson. He'll want his players focused on the World Cup and clubs have been briefed that he will let medicals happen etc outside of training sessions whilst they are in the pre World Cup camp but once they fly out to Brazil he will not let anything happen until England are out. It's in everyone's interest to get it done ASAP, and it will be.

Which lines should I read between?

"The second point I’d like to clear up is speculation in the press about our players. That is my responsibility.

As we stand there have been no enquiries, we have had no bids and we have had no offers for any of our players. That’s accurate, that is the truth and that’s exactly where we are.

Reports that we are about to close deals on certain players are totally misinformed, misleading and are not true. No club has been given permission to talk to any of our players so reports that some of our players are in the process of negotiating stellar transfer fees or contracts are absolutely misinformed and inaccurate.

No club has been given permission to talk to any of our players and that will remain so.

As far as the policy in concerned we have had a great season, we want to build on that season, we want to improve the squad going forward, we want to retain the players we’ve got. They are all contracted, they all have existing contracts and we intend to honour those contracts.

Any enquiries we get will probably be met with a ‘no, not for sale.’ Our intention is to keep this very good team together and build on it by bringing in players to improve upon it.

Every transfer window, particularly the summer, is a difficult one because everybody is out there trying to attract players.

We have our targets, we want to improve the squad, these are things we are discussing on a daily basis and we intend to produce a squad that is capable of not just maintaining the position we are in at the moment but improving next season.

It’s a positive message we want to get out there.

Our fans deserve to understand there is not going to be a fire sale here and we have repeatedly said that.

We have had no offers for players, deals are not about to be concluded for any of our players, and we want to keep all of our best players here at the club and build on that for the future.