572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

McClaren bringing will hughes with him would be delightful

Boruc

Chambers - Fonte- Caulker- Cresswell

Wanyama Cork

JWP hughes davis (JRod when fit)

Lambert

Definitely a step back without shaw, lovren, schneiderlein, lallana but as an absolute worst case scenario it wouldn't be the end of the world (Loads of money in the bank with that XI). Still positive attacking football good enough for mid table and maybe a tilt at the cups with McClaren ( who has won silverware). Im in the camp who would be delighted to see saints in the europa league final

Tell me you aren't serious? That team is mid table championship.

Ha there's the first problem then. McClaren and well managed don't seem to go together too well. Definitely a championship team even if it was well managed anyway.

You only have to have a look at Sunderland and Villa's starting 11's to realise that team would be fine.

McClaren hasn't had a bad time at Derby to be honest. His stock has risen slightly, but I still don't see him as an appointment which would get the taste buds going.

McClaren and well managed don't seem to go together too well.

I neither like nor want McClaren, but he has had a young Derby side playing some lovely stuff this season. On recent evidence he's been managing very well indeed.

Random name to throw in but Paco Jemez ... can honestly say I hadn't considered him until seeing his name in the long list of bookie odds.

Plays attacking possession based football,

Has had a decent season with Rayo in la Liga,

Within our reach of realistic targets (has hinted he wants out),

Managed to get Rayo, with the leagues smallest budget, half way up the table (with our side he may do all right)

Admittedly rather left-field but thought I would throw the name in.

I'm a bit surprised at some of the opinions on here - evidently Malky Mackay is now a rubbish manager despite having managed to take a poor Cardiff team to mid-table obscurity until the Cardiff club owner decided to scupper things. I'm not saying he is the right man for Saints if Poch goes, but who knows? He could prove to be an inspired choice if he were appointed.

I am also surprised at the number of people keen on Laudrup - he hardly achieved much at Swansea, taking them down from showing signs of establishing themselves as an upper mid-table club to becoming a club at risk of relegation.

As for De Boer, I always a little wary of the big name managers and if he is not good enough for Spurs, perhaps he is not good enough for us?! Nevertheless, I agree that a big name manager like that could convince some of our players to stay.

I still think Felix Magath would do well in the short term. Bags of experience and actually showed signs of turning Fulham around although his appointment came far too late. Showed faith in youngsters like Woodrow and Burn too.

Who is Murat Yakin?

I kept picturing some washed up Russian tennis player but then realised that was Marat Safin. Didnt see Safins odds in the potential replacements list :rolleyes:

How about louche Turks?

Former Basel manager - got them playing some of the most fluid football I've seen from a team without huge stars - played spurs off the park a couple of seasons ago and did Chelsea twice in last season's CL league. The Swiss connection would also be a plus.

McClaren bringing will hughes with him would be delightful

Boruc

Chambers - Fonte- Caulker- Cresswell

Wanyama Cork

JWP hughes davis (JRod when fit)

Lambert

Definitely a step back without shaw, lovren, schneiderlein, lallana but as an absolute worst case scenario it wouldn't be the end of the world (Loads of money in the bank with that XI). Still positive attacking football good enough for mid table and maybe a tilt at the cups with McClaren ( who has won silverware). Im in the camp who would be delighted to see saints in the europa league final

If that was our team we would still have about 80m in the bank from player sales so I'd sincerely hope some had been reinvested in more than Caulker and Cresswell.

We are Saints - we have a long glorious history of punching above our weight and bringing in and developing players far beyond our apparent reach. We need to adopt a similar approach to mangers. We need a glamorous, youngish guy with charisma, not the deadbeat, dead hands of the likes of Mackay, Lennon, Hughton, Poyet.

I neither like nor want McClaren, but he has had a young Derby side playing some lovely stuff this season. On recent evidence he's been managing very well indeed.

This. Never much liked him but tactically very astute.

They were brilliant against Spurs and Chelsea, the interchange between the top 3 was a joy to behold. Would be a gamble but no more than MP was.

Just total speculation on my part but I have a feeling the new manager will be German, or German speaking (if I go on the recent Germanic board appointments of Hofstetter and Krüger). What is interesting but is probably in no way related is that Thomas Tuchel at Mainz effectively stepped down from his position a few days ago. The Mainz chairman is however refusing to terminate Tuchel's contract. This seems to suggest that Tuchel felt he need to make himself available yet the Mainz chairman knows that someone is interested in Tuchel and thus will not terminate his contract as he is hoping that Tuchels prospective new club will buy him out of the contract. This is of course pure guess work and Tuchel did say that he had planned to leave Mainz since last autumn. In any case, the guy has had a lot of success at a club in a similar position to Saints and qualified this season for the the Europa league (something MoPo couldn't do but will no doubt do at Spurs next season!). Would be a very exciting appointment imo (Tuchel has by many accounts been a greater success at Mainz than Klopp was).

Here would be my pecking order:

Exciting: Koeman (first choice), Yakin, Tuchel or perhaps a recently retired player (Scholes) with a great football brain and a DoF accompanying them

Not a disaster: Lennon, Sherwood, McLaren

Would be making less journeys down the A35/A31 until they left: Hughton, Howe, Clarke, Mackay.

Just total speculation on my part but I have a feeling the new manager will be German, or German speaking (if I go on the recent Germanic board appointments of Hofstetter and Krüger). What is interesting but is probably in no way related is that Thomas Tuchel at Mainz effectively stepped down from his position a few days ago. The Mainz chairman is however refusing to terminate Tuchel's contract. This seems to suggest that Tuchel felt he need to make himself available yet the Mainz chairman knows that someone is interested in Tuchel and thus will not terminate his contract as he is hoping that Tuchels prospective new club will buy him out of the contract. This is of course pure guess work and Tuchel did say that he had planned to leave Mainz since last autumn. In any case, the guy has had a lot of success at a club in a similar position to Saints and qualified this season for the the Europa league (something MoPo couldn't do but will no doubt do at Spurs next season!). Would be a very exciting appointment imo (Tuchel has by many accounts been a greater success at Mainz than Klopp was).

Yeah Tuchel is also up their on my like radar and he has now agreed settlement with Mainz, we'd just pay his final year = 1million euro's apparently so we would make money on Mopo :-) http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11903/9320545/bundesliga-mainz-agree-settlement-with-former-boss-thomas-tuchel

Edited by Convict Colony

I'd love to get Neville if he's half as good as he seems on MNF

He's only just become a coach. Doubt he'd want to get into management yet and don't know why you'd want someone who would be managing their first team ever.

He does seem to have the makings of a good manager though, and likes the way we do things at the moment. Might be worth keeping an eye on him if he's not fast-tracked to United down the line.

Hard one to say really.

I would go for AVB at Zenit, granted he has not won anything there but I think he would want out of Russia and ticks our boxes.

Only in charge since April and has qualified for the Champions League so would seem highly unlikely. (unless you have some inside info on him wanting to get out of Russia?)

McLaren followed a good season at Boro with abject failure at England. Followed a good season in Holland with abject failure in Germany. Wonder what will happen following a good season at Derby........

Really don't want him here.

I know nothing about this Yakin guy so cannot comment, however, right now my choice would be Gus Poyet, he did a great job at Leeds (although he was not the manager of course) did well at Brighton and look what he did for Sunderland

I know nothing about this Yakin guy so cannot comment, however, right now my choice would be Gus Poyet, he did a great job at Leeds (although he was not the manager of course) did well at Brighton and look what he did for Sunderland

He really would be my favourite, from the touted possible candidates anyway. I certainly don't want anyone like McClaren or any other British serial failure manager.