The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Can you imagine how tedious and boring finishing 7th would be? If that's all we can hope for what is the point of supporting a team? If we don't get 65 points next season I will become an alcoholic.

How about resigning after 10 games. Only quitters and losers do that, don't they small fry? As ever, you are a model of consistency.

Can you imagine how tedious and boring finishing 17th would be? If that's all we can hope for what is the point of supporting a team? If we don't get at least 35 points next season I will become an alcoholic.

Edited for accuracy.

My pick would be either David Moyes or Steve McClaren

Moyes is exactly the sort of manager that is the perfect fit for a club of our size and expectation. Been there, done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't want either personally. Would rather another foreign manager with a specific style of play.

My pick would be either David Moyes or Steve McClaren

Moyes is exactly the sort of manager that is the perfect fit for a club of our size and expectation. Been there, done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moyes would be great. 10 months ago he was rated as one of the best managers in Europe. Same as Michael Laudrup theyve not become bad managers overnight and both cdajfu.

Roberto Di Matteo would also be an option

I wanted Eddie Howe to come to us when Adkins came, so to be consistent,I still think Howe would be good. He has a good record with young players

Problem is , he wouldn't stand a chance. From day one some of our fanbase would bang on about "cheap option" and "shows our lack of ambition" ECT ECT .

Would give the players that want to go a get out line.

Personally, I think he deserves a go at the big league. Its not just what he's done at Boscombe the past couple of years , but his first spell. They were nailed on heading for the conference and he delivered promotion a year later.

Im not sure we're the right job for him, its going to be a tough ask to follow on from last year,especially if players move on.

Pros; Plays good stuff, is a bright young manager. Could be around a long time and build something.

Cons; Not a big name, dont know what happened at Burnley, and he's a skate.

Howe or Rosler for me. Or some other young, clever bloke. Moyes would be a disaster as I think he is mentally wounded after his spell with the prawn sandwich brigade.

I think Moyes would have a point to prove. He was doing a good job at Everton, the UTD job was just beyond him, especially following Sir Alex. He's not my preferred choice but he wouldn't be a bad option.

Hopefully he will stay and most of our players too.

But, if MP does go who would you like to see in his place?

I think extending his contract... (which is what it would be).....answers that question, we don't have to bother. If he stays....it's likely that few (if any) players would move away.

If he goes...the question(s) would be.. ..who do we sign to replace Shaw?....who do we sign to replace Lallana?....who do we sig to replace Schneiderlin ?....etc, etc,

It's not down to the players we will sign in the summer, but keeping MP. An eventual new manager would want to sign those on his own " wish list " which would be bad news for some of our squad.

Uwe Rosler came across as someone who very much focussed on the minutae of teams best players while he was punditting the Championship play off.

Think he could translate well on our team well.

Have to say I agree with G-dog regarding Yakin, after not really knowing too much about him or Techul I've read loads of articles on them and their tactics over the last few days and I must say they sound awesome.

Has anyone watched Basel or Mainz enough to form an informed opinion ?

Great article on Murat Yakin

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/04/10/4737306/the-next-guardiola-marvellous-murat-yakin-deserves-a-chance

Looks like a real candidate. I'd be very happy if we get him on board.

I think Moyes would have a point to prove. He was doing a good job at Everton, the UTD job was just beyond him, especially following Sir Alex. He's not my preferred choice but he wouldn't be a bad option.

Really don't want moyes. I like the way we play currently and moyes would have us playing much more direct and don't think it would suit our players either. Moyes I'd expect to get newcastle or Sunderland job at some point.

This guy wants to come back to the Prem apparently. Would probably want a war chest but looks good in the red and white bar scarf.

As much as I would want Mancini, I can't see the guy's managerial career going Inter, Man City, Galatasaray, Southampton. And don't even mention wages :)

Can't see a problem with wages. As I have mentioned more than once, if the stories of MP being offered £6m a year are to be believed (who knows what is to be believed these days), this to me is sending a message out saying that we will pay top dollar. Put it this way, the reported wage for LvG at Man Utd is £6m a year.

Ha!

I remember all the discontent towards the end at Boro when Southgate had to pretty much take over in the dressing room. Performances were certainly erratic and probably remembered more fondly due to their decline. He was rubbish at Wolfsburg and Twente in his second period, woeful at Forest.

So basically he's just had a decent half season with Derby and failed to get promoted. I'd think we can do a little better.

If there's one person who knows about successful football management, it's Gareth Southgate. What a job he dun at Boro.

Chris Hughton was in the DeVere Saturday night. Someone on my FB got there pic taken with him and said he's a really sound bloke. Hope he's not being lined up though!

It'll be someone like him or Mckay in my opinion.

Only guy domestically I'd be interested in is Moyes.

De Boer would certainly be interesting, only reason Tottenham won't get him seems to be compensation which we shouldn't have a problem paying. Works well with youth and would more than likely welcome a route into this league.

WGS brought us success after pretty much every fan was disappointed with his appointment, so it's hard to say who would and who wouldn't be the right appointment. It would be fascinating to see how Moyes would fare. Huge step down though for him.

WGS brought us success after pretty much every fan was disappointed with his appointment, so it's hard to say who would and who wouldn't be the right appointment. It would be fascinating to see how Moyes would fare.

It would indeed. I think we're going to need a bit of grit and determination this coming season.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/southampton/next-permanent-manager

Lennon's odds have come in to 6/1 today. Although as that link shows there is no clear front runners yet.

Managers 10/1 or better with at least 1 bookie

Poyet

Petrescu

Lennon

Mackay

Di Matteo

Sherwood

Pardew

Benitez (8/1 on betvictor)

AVB

Paco Jemez (10/1 on betvictor)

Oscar Garcia (10/1 on paddypower)

I'd back it. But yeah, it's hard not to show it's a backwards step. Least it's honest.

If MP a few top players go, and we're looking at playing some decent football, improving youngsters and aiming for mid-table then I'm all in favour of Adkins. I think he'd have kept us up comfortably. OK maybe we wouldn't have progressed as we have, but people are so quick to write off managers yet every season comment on how players have learned, improved etc. Why exactly can't managers do the same?

My main reasoning though, would be that if we're taking the ambition back a notch, then we need something else. Sacking Adkins was depressing to me as it made us another ruthless club and saw a decent man doing a good job treated badly. Getting him back could show we're not about that anymore, that the clubs means a bit more. He'd be popular I think and greeted well, but obviously there'd be a lot of outcry online about the step back, lack of ambition etc.

Yet people are taking about Rosler, Howe, the Brighton manager and so on. I'd take Adkins over all of them.

Hard to imagine Nigel being such a sneaky **** about it if Spurs came calling as well...........