The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

If Poch does go, I wanted a manager with an affiliation to Saints. Someone who is not going to use us as a stepping stone.

Well you are onto a loser straightaway I'm afraid.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Poch does go, I wanted a manager with an affiliation to Saints. Someone who is not going to use us as a stepping stone.

Apart from Alan Ball (who still used us a stepping stone) which successful managers have we appointed who had an prior affiliation with Saints?

Don't say Ted Bates either.

You really have to take some of this with a huge pinch of salt. Note that the Journo says 'The ITALIAN' owners. Thought the Liebherrs were Austrian!!!

Last I heard they were Swiss. Hence the huge Swiss flag. So its not just Journos who don't know what they are talking about. They were from Germany originally, but I think KL was born in Switzerland.

Someone suggested to me years ago (possibly during the Branfoot era) that the problem for Saints is that we either have a good manager and will struggle to keep them, or we have a manager no one else wants.

Not far from the truth really.

Edited by Badger

Trying to impress anybody. I very much doubt he's going out there with a job at Southampton in mind.

Sherwood's reputation from THFC will be enhanced.

He's already linked with Norwich, WBA, Brighton.

The Sunday supplement is tosh . Just listened to some numpty saying it makes it easier to give wenger a new contract . But dependent on how long it is . This will show arsenal intent whether they stick by their man and allow him to build or if it is short term then that would show arsenal are losing patience with wingers methods

What total tosh . How do these clowns on a chat show know what arsenal are thinking

If we ended up with Sherwood, I'd be okay with it. If nothing else he has experience of working with young players. And I like the way he comes across. And his performance at Spurs was good. Not spectacular but far from a disaster. I can think of plenty of candidates I'd like less than Tim Sherwood.

If we ended up with Sherwood, I'd be okay with it. If nothing else he has experience of working with young players. And I like the way he comes across. And his performance at Spurs was good. Not spectacular but far from a disaster. I can think of plenty of candidates I'd like less than Tim Sherwood.

Did you Like the way his Spurs team leaked goals and surrended in games with no fight (excluding the saints game)?

Did you Like the way his Spurs team leaked goals and surrended in games with no fight (excluding the saints game)?

We'll go with your suggestion, then. Presumably a manager who has never had a team lose a match or concede a goal.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/ptsgain.html

17 points gained from losing positions (11 of those under Sherwood). Southampton: 6 points with 0 wins

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/ptslost.html

6 points lost from winning positions (2 of those in games managed by Sherwood). Southampton: 20 points lost

Don't know I would want Sherwood, but that is not really a fair angle of attack.

Brett hiw about the grandpa of footy . Lawrie mac . Does he meet your spec ?

Definitely not he ****kked off to Sunderland at the drop of a hat.

He left after twelve years in charge, hardly at the drop of a hat. And this was also after he had rejected possible moves to Leeds (1979 from memory) and Manchester Utd (c1980/81 before they appointed Atkinson).

All in all, he gave pretty good service.

The 'meltdown' on somewhere like this had it existed in the summer of 1979 would have been in overdrive facility.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/ptsgain.html

17 points gained from losing positions (11 of those under Sherwood). Southampton: 6 points with 0 wins

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/ptslost.html

6 points lost from winning positions (2 of those in games managed by Sherwood). Southampton: 20 points lost

Don't know I would want Sherwood, but that is not really a fair angle of attack.

Wasn't really an attack, but if it sounded like an attack then I appologised.

The way they surrendered against the big clubs and took some very severe beatings just doesńt inspire any confidence at all.

Definitely not he ****kked off to Sunderland at the drop of a hat.

After 12 years with Saints and having turned down a number of approaches from other clubs before eventually leaving. Not really 'at a drop of a hat'

He left after twelve years in charge, hardly at the drop of a hat. And this was also after he had rejected possible moves to Leeds (1979 from memory) and Manchester Utd (c1980/81 before they appointed Atkinson).

All in all, he gave pretty good service.

The 'meltdown' on somewhere like this had it existed in the summer of 1979 would have been in overdrive facility.

After 12 years with Saints and having turned down a number of approaches from other clubs before eventually leaving. Not really 'at a drop of a hat'

Glad to see someone shares my recollection of events. Not going senile just yet.

Have to say I agree with G-dog regarding Yakin, after not really knowing too much about him or Techul I've read loads of articles on them and their tactics over the last few days and I must say they sound awesome.

Has anyone watched Basel or Mainz enough to form an informed opinion ?

Great article on Murat Yakin

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/04/10/4737306/the-next-guardiola-marvellous-murat-yakin-deserves-a-chance

TOP 4 for me.

1. Roberto Di Matteo would be my choice, done great at MK Dons Chelsea and WBA sacked harshly by WBA and Chelsea.

2. Uwe Rosler would be my 2nd choice if we can get him, Wigan are a club whos owner will not let him go cheaply, and despite there pathetic fan base a really well run club.

3. Gus Poyet would be 3rd choice, but same as above bar the fan base comment.

4.Tim Sherwood, seems a good coach who would work well with Les Reed, and least we would see his passion and his honesty, his record and win ratio is actually quite good.

TOP 4 for me.

1. Roberto Di Matteo would be my choice, done great at MK Dons Chelsea and WBA sacked harshly by WBA and Chelsea.

2. Uwe Rosler would be my 2nd choice if we can get him, Wigan are a club whos owner will not let him go cheaply, and despite there pathetic fan base a really well run club.

4.Tim Sherwood, seems a good coach who would work well with Les Reed, and least we would see his passion and his honesty, his record and win ratio is actually quite good.

Don't think he was harshly sacked at WBA:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_bromwich_albion/9388972.stm

"The Baggies lost 3-0 at Manchester City on Saturday and the club said a run of 13 defeats in 18 games was the reason for the decision."

my Top 4, not in any order of preference.

1. Murat Yakin: Young, good track record.

2. Slaven Bilic: Charismatic leader, would do well in Prem.

3. Steve Clarke: WBA finished 8th last season, can do it with the right players.

4. Jorge Sampaoli: Good continuation of tactics and playing style.

TOP 4 for me.

Yakin is rumoured to be going to Bastia strangely enough, bit of a step down for him I'd think.

TOP 4 for me.

You'd think Di Matteo would come here given his supposed friendship with Cortese.

A coach that gets the best out of young players, and plays good attractive football, is what we need. Oh, and one that is really good in the transfer market as we'll need a few new players brought in. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

#redknappwillbeoursaviour

A coach that gets the best out of young players, and plays good attractive football, is what we need. Oh, and one that is really good in the transfer market as we'll need a few new players brought in. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

#redknappwillbeoursaviour

Didn't know Louise had taken her coaching badges.

SHERWOOD frankly, id rather shove giant wasps up my *rse

Apart from having the best win % of any Spurs Manager (admittedly on only half a season but you can only win the games that are there) what exactly has he done wrong?

And of course he is totally incapable of learning from that. He still beat us twice.

He had a number of stupid outbursts that showed he wasn't handling the pressure very well. His "I'm so honest, I'm a breath of fresh air, everyone love me" approach was embarrassing and smacked of Harry Redknapp. I personally am always wary of a man who is quite clearly using the media in a "ooo feel sorry for me because i'm young and English" way to give himself a good name. He alienated half the squad in 5 months let alone not exactly being popular with his fanbase. Despite his amaznig record that he and the media are banging on about he did about par with a pretty good squad (Nothing AVB couldn't and wouldn't have done) and further to all of that....he put a fan on the bench because he's so bloody wacky. **** off.

He may well be capable of learning, i'm not saying he isn't. He's clearly done a good job at Spurs on the youth side as they have a couple of good youngsters coming through (Debatable IMO but I'll let it slide) but I'd rather he didn't learn with us. I don't want a wacky manager unless he's proven. If we are to go down the unproven route I don't want a manager who is worried about his perception and wants the media to love him and I don't want a media love in so that in the bad times everyone can paper over the cracks. I want a professional manager getting on with his job and relishing in what is clearly a good job for anyone to take on.

If you want to put a bet on the next manager of saints the it would be best put on Eddie Howe. I don't have a direct line to the man himself but have had two people very close give me some details. If I'm right then my itk ranking will be right and if not then it will be where it is now. Non existent.