The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Mackay is dull as dishwater and largely took Cardiff up due to their financial push TBH. He is solid enough I suppose but a million miles from what we want. As per being one voice in the transfer stakes looking at some of his purchases Im not entirely sure he is what we want, besides, he will have to operate with the comittee that is equally adept at spending exorbitant fees on underperforming foreign strikers.

For me, I dont know.

AVB (not that I think he would fancy a return to England)

Poyet (But he really is a ****)

Rosler

De Boer (if spurs cant snatch him why would we ?)

I dont think Poch will be as easy to replace as most think

This I agree with.

Just depends what we want to do, and what (if any) we want to invest.

I think I'd go for Moyes - He'd be desperate to right the wrongs of his Utd tenure. He knows this league - is very adept at Navigating the top half of the table.

Hell, didn't he nearly come here before he took the Everton job?

Klinsmann has been mentioned before. USA are in a tough group and have little chance of progressing. Even if they do I think he will me moving on after WC.

Would I get lambasted if I also said Roy, he knows our playing style fairly well! Also I hate to say it but I think he'll be free by next season.

Rafa, Spaletti or AVB.

They're all unlikely to come though.

Benitez would be moving a step down if he came to us, going from Napoli a CL team to Southampton, potentially about to lose 2/3 key players, let's be honest.

Spalletti is a maybe but I don't think he will be able to manage in the Prem, winning the Russian League with the squad they had was the target anyway.

As for AVB, he probably aspires higher and like someone said earlier probs doesn't want to return to England.

As for AVB, he probably aspires higher and like someone said earlier probs doesn't want to return to England.

AVB also likely to be managing in the CL next season. Zenit are 2nd in the Russian league, 1 point off the top with a game in hand.

We will never get most of the names mentioned on here, we're f()cked now. Mackay is literally the best we can hope for.

Ah well. Worst case we sell a bunch of players and have hundreds of millions. We should be able to have a fair amount to invest and will probably finish lower mid table again.

Not that I think Pochettino is off - he still has a year left to run on his contract after all, and I don't see him going to Spurs as he has said he is not interested in the Europa league so why would he jump to a team that is in the competition when he has a good platform to build on here (as things stand)? - but if he were to go then I would be interested to see how Felix Magath would do here. OK, he couldn't save Fulham this season, but he came closer than I thought he would and he was good at blooding the youth there, as well as having a good track record with keeping players fit and good history in the Bundesliga.

Bhx9UjICYAA5KPe.jpg:medium

I've no idea on his club management record.

Trust me is he is mustard, won the league 3 times in a row with Universidad de Chile, won the 2011 Copa Sudamericana (the continent's Europa League equivalent) and only got stopped at the semi-final stage in the Copa Libertadores which is immense for a Chilean club given the size of teams they were up against.

Came into the national team when chile were shocking and his predecessor was sacked mid way through qualifying, he came in and immediately improved them and got them to Brazil from near bottom of their group.

He is mental on the side lines as well an has been banned from the stadium before and gone and climb a tree instead so he could watch the game.

In the statement reference Sherwood leaving by Spurs,they emphasise the fact they have some great young talent coming through......anyone know a current manager that excels at bringing the youngsters through the club and not afraid to throw them in the 1st team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the statement reference Sherwood leaving by Spurs,they emphasise the fact they have some great young talent coming through......anyone know a current manager that excels at bringing the youngsters through the club and not afraid to throw them in the 1st team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny they say that when Sherwood did give a few of the younger players a chance and yielded positive results.

Howe would get tactically found out big time in the PL and ex-skate, no thanks. Would also as good as relegate us. I think there's a candidate who has gone under the radar, would suit the style of play and is leaving a big club this summer. His name is Ronald Koeman and unless he's agreed to go somewhere else, he would be ideal. He was sniffing around the Swansea job before Monk was confirmed so confident we could attract him and I bet his agent has been in touch with Saints because of the uncertainty around MP. In fact, if he's still available and MP is set on Spurs I might even say to the club 'pull the plaster off in one go' and bring Koeman in now. His stature in the game would get instant respect.

The Chile manager is a good shout but would be an even bigger risk than MP was as at least MP knew the European transfer market quite well. Mackay - massive no thanks. Sherwood would be a decent shortlist candidate but I think WBA lined him up weeks ago. Laudrup - attitude question mark. Dyche is a good option but would like to see how he fares with Burnley. Rosler isn't proven at the higher levels yet.

di Matteo?

I said this on a thread as a joke a while ago but he does have a Champions League on his CV! May have contacts too for transfers, so not a silly choice.

Magath did a good job at Fulham too in the short time he was there, and trusted his younger players too. Also has a decent CV.

Moyes? Well he'll sure have a point to prove, and will keep us in the media spotlight for some time.

in short, I haven't got a clue who I want, but I'd support whoever it is. Although of course I hope it's Pochettino.

How would we get Benitez, aren't Napoli absolutely loaded? He'd be my top choice though followed by Klinsmann. It'd be nice if we could maybe get Howe in the club somewhere to train him up, maybe make him assistant manager or something if the new manager was happy with it.

Dear everyone saying we should get Benitez, what in the hell makes you think he'd come to us? I'd love him as well but seriously? He's managed some of the best clubs in the world successfully.

Indeed, basically if Mauricio should go to Spurs (or anywhere else) it would be because the board have either sold players he really wants to keep or not been ambitious enough with new recruits. Benitez wouldn't stand for any of that either so there would be no point in trying to recruit him. If the board are decided to go with what we've got left after any outs and academy academy academy ad nauseum we won't get any really respectable manager.

Dear everyone saying we should get Benitez, what in the hell makes you think he'd come to us? I'd love him as well but seriously? He's managed some of the best clubs in the world successfully.

He wants to manage in the premier league.

However I think he'd be more likely to end up at Spurs

Hes brilliant. I loved the way Chile played at Wembley against England. I love the style and the attitude. Victory of attitude, tactics and team culture over individual brilliance, truly the exemplar of how the little teams can beat the so called big teams full of superstars. And they played like that away to Germany recently too. Finishing third in south american group is pretty good too after shocking start. They are utterly fearless and as persistent as f8ck. If he is available after the WC he's an absolute upgrade on Mopo and a perfect fit as you say with our current culture.

I expect Chile to do well and would not surprise me at all if they knocked Holland out of group B and pressed Spain very close indeed for first place.

Id still rather keep Mopo of course!

Edited by Giordano
sp.v and caveat on mopo.

"Brighton have accepted head coach Oscar Garcia's resignation following their Championship play-off semi-final loss."

Mmmm ... now I wonder why he would do that having actually done very well at Brighton? But I am not a conspiracy theorist!

Just looking at the betting for the Spuds job and the man who is 5th favourite is Thomas Tuchel - not someone I'd heard of. Just left Mainz this year having lead them to 7th in the Bundesliga and Europa League qualification. They also finished 5th in his first season there in 2010/11.

Anyone follow German football and know what sort of football they were playing under him? He's now left Mainz so is available, would appear to be looking for a bigger job.