The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

He's said he views Napoli as a 'stopgap' and wants to return to England. You have to assume he's been holding out for a top job but it doesn't look like he'll be getting one this summer. If Pochettino leaves for Spurs we're the best English job going but I doubt he's so desperate to come back to the PL that he'd join us.

Out of our league, sadly.

He may be out of our league, but Naples is a nightmare to live in. I imagine he'd consider anywhere half decent (not that he wont have other offers obviously).

I didn't say it was that simple, but Howe has done very little. If he's a candidate, by definition so are about 20 other managers from the championship/L1 over the past few years.

How exactly do you expect our squad to react to Pochettinno leaving and Eddie Howe replacing him?

I think we can get someone more proven than Howe, but its simplistic to write people off as Championship quality because they're in the championship - especially when they're young. By that logic Clyne, Lambert, Rodriguez, Lallana etc wouldnt have been good enough for us either.

As I said earlier, where will he go? All I ever hear is that he misses the prem.

Man Utd would never appoint him, Chelsea would never appoint him again, I doubt Everton would.

Liverpool have a manager for a good few years. I doubt Arsenal would go for him and they don't need a manager now. Spurs are about to appoint one.

So where on earth is he going to go? As far as I can tell right this second, Saints are his best English option, crazy as it might seem.

Bet he'd get a lot more love from saints fans than he ever did at Chelsea.........well until dumps us for spurs:?

I think people are being a little conservative. Remember we (currently) have a superb, young team with several internationals, a secure financial situation, and a youth set up that is envied the world over. Not to mention brand new, world class facilities on the way.

With all due respect to a bloke I have a lot of time for, we won't be looking at managers the calibre of Nigel Adkins. The Southampton job is a top opportunity (well until we sell half the squad of course!)

Paul Clement ?

he was on the radio earlier saying he is enjoying being part of Real Madrid and very much wants to be involved in the world club cup next season. But he has an eye on management in a few years

I think people are being a little conservative. Remember we (currently) have a superb, young team with several internationals, a secure financial situation, and a youth set up that is envied the world over. Not to mention brand new, world class facilities on the way.

With all due respect to a bloke I have a lot of time for, we won't be looking at managers the calibre of Nigel Adkins. The Southampton job is a top opportunity (well until we sell half the squad of course!)

Agreed. When Spurs' vacancy is filled, Southampton will be the best job going in the Premier League. I'm confident we'll get somebody decent.

I've said it twice and I'll say it again.

Eddie Howe will be the next Saints manager.

His heart will not be in it. His heart lies with Bournemouth. I'd rather have Adkins back if we are going for championship managers. In fact I am not liking any names being thrown about on here. Sounds like slim pickings on the replacement front.

Is very true, despite all the gloom, we are the best Premier League job going, lots of good players, healthy finances, world class academy. Let's not pretend there won't be big interest.

Maybe I'm mad but I do think Benitez might be up for it.

The guy who completely ignored liverpool's youth system. Personally I'm hopeful there's zero chance he'd come to us.

Poch is gone and the only way to keep our players from jumping ship is to recruit a bigger name and fast. De Boer is a world wide footballing name, good manager, will command respect and have us playing that total football we were promised 6 years ago!

Poch is gone and the only way to keep our players from jumping ship is to recruit a bigger name and fast. De Boer is a world wide footballing name, good manager, will command respect and have us playing that total football we were promised 6 years ago!

The thing is, if we had the money to tempt a name like De Boer would Poch have left us for the managerial graveyard that is Spurs?

The thing is, if we had the money to tempt a name like De Boer would Poch have left us for the managerial graveyard that is Spurs?

Cant remember the exact words from de Boer's interview but he talked a lot about not wanting to be at club where he didn't feel he could add anything -like Barcelona or Real Madrid; about wanting to be as coach not a manager; wanting be in a bigger league like the PL or La Liga and about feeling involved in a project. It all sounded a lot more like Saints than Spurs.

Leo beenhakker.....has a management career as long as your arm!! Has managed real madrid too. Actually just think he has a great surname. Can you choose a manager for comedy reasons?? Or how about the return of hoddle?

From the best manager in my lifetime to the possibility of Poyet/Hughton/Lennon:mcinnes:

Don't want to be pedantic, but to me, finishing 8th and being runners up in the FA Cup beats last season, even if we had 4 less points.

McClaren bringing will hughes with him would be delightful

Boruc

Chambers - Fonte- Caulker- Cresswell

Wanyama Cork

JWP hughes davis (JRod when fit)

Lambert

Definitely a step back without shaw, lovren, schneiderlein, lallana but as an absolute worst case scenario it wouldn't be the end of the world (Loads of money in the bank with that XI). Still positive attacking football good enough for mid table and maybe a tilt at the cups with McClaren ( who has won silverware). Im in the camp who would be delighted to see saints in the europa league final