St. Mary's becomes first European stadium to have LED floodlights

Saint-Armstrong

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

We’re pleased to reveal that St Mary’s is to become the first stadium in Europe with LED floodlights. #saintsfc

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/23062014-st-marys-led-floodlights-1661239.aspx

I would have thought that to match or even surpass Metal Halide lighting then there will be a lot more L.E.D. lamps to match the output, or of course L.E.D. lighting technology has moved on a great deal, suffice to say that although I am seeing L.E.D. front side lights and rear lights are cars I do not believe there is a L.E.D. headlight out there yet.

Wasn't the Dell the first stadium to have a competitive game under flood lights?

Following the lifting of a FA ban the first competitive fixture played under floodlights was at the Dell on Monday 1st October 1951 when Southampton Reserves played Spurs Reserves in the Football Combination.

There were of course games under floodlights before that but the FA had a ban in 1930

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/DidYouKnow26.htm

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post

Wasn't the Dell the first stadium to have a competitive game under flood lights?

Yes, I was there, our reserves against Spurs our centre forward kicked off so WALLY JUDD got the first floodlight kick!

I would have thought that to match or even surpass Metal Halide lighting then there will be a lot more L.E.D. lamps to match the output, or of course L.E.D. lighting technology has moved on a great deal, suffice to say that although I am seeing L.E.D. front side lights and rear lights are cars I do not believe there is a L.E.D. headlight out there yet.

Certainly are - Google is your friend (other search engines are available)

More evidence of the relentless drive of the owners.

'

or evidence that we have to change due to requirements of the PL.

I don't have a view which is correct, but there is a view here that we had no choice but to change to comply.

"The new lighting system will be in place for the coming campaign with the club moving in line with Premier League requirements for a higher level of light output."

Edited by VectisSaint
Font size

Don't get people on here started on speaker systems - the PA system has ruined many a matchday experience...apparently.

It is sh*t tho...I guess depending where you sit.

Now if they installed mahoosive solar panels up on the roof to power those LEDs they could do us cheaper tickets with all that money they'd save...

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post

Yes, I was there, our reserves against Spurs our centre forward kicked off so WALLY JUDD got the first floodlight kick!

Would it also be true, old timer, that them down the motorway had the first senior game under lights (or was it at WHL)? I could google but am too lazy.

Don't get people on here started on speaker systems - the PA system has ruined many a matchday experience...apparently.

The club told me two seasons ago that they were working on this.Perhaps they were waiting for the LED speakers to come in.