Transfer Rumours Only

Jimmy_D

Seriously, what will it take to please you lot? Long is about the type of player we can attract at the moment, it's not like every player will be falling over themselves to sign for us with the reputation we have built up this season. He'd be a good signing as a rotation option and has proven that he can score goals at this level unlike Ings (although i'm sure he will) or some random from a European league.

Surely, Surely....we can get a much higher quality striker from Europe for £12m? Surely? What the hell do our scouts do if Shane Long @ 12m is the best they can do.

Scouts don't negotiate transfer fees.

Seriously, what will it take to please you lot? Long is about the type of player we can attract at the moment, it's not like every player will be falling over themselves to sign for us with the reputation we have built up this season. He'd be a good signing as a rotation option and has proven that he can score goals at this level unlike Ings (although i'm sure he will) or some random from a European league.

Has he? He scored seven goals last season. I won't list every player that scored seven or more goals last season, but I can tell you that one of them was Martin Skrtel.

Edited by DuncanRG

Sorry but there would be plenty of quality strikers throughout Europe who would give their left nut to play in the Prem

Are you saying pelle is no better than long?

God , we are in trouble!

oh dear....if it was anywhere close to 12 million I would seriously question just what the board are up to. After promises of good signings this would be a real let down and we would be right royally fleeced - 67 goals in 270 appearances is cack.

Pretty uninspiring all round and starting to wonder what style of football we will be seeing this season and whether the youngsters like Reed, McQueen, etc will get any game time over some of the signings that have been made. And pretty much no resale value.

Horrible suspicion we are going to end up a lower mid table side that is not even that attractive to watch any more.

But they can provide better value for money than Long at 12m, I'd have hoped.

That's really not their job. They'll have flagged him up for possessing attributes that we're after in a forward (fair enough) and others will have set the price we're willing to go to.

That's really not their job. They'll have flagged him up for possessing attributes that we're after in a forward (fair enough) and others will have set the price we're willing to go to.

It's kind of their job. I doubt they were out there scouting falcao

Right now we need a striker urgently. Longs not worth £12m but then none of the players we've sold this summer are worth their fees and we have hardly touched our treasure yet.

Nothing wrong by the way in taking players off our rivals for 15/14th!

With Sharp also on his way and Gallagher fundamentally not up to it yet, we need someone in fast. My view? Pay over the odds for Ings, but if we can Long off a rival so be it.

Has he? He scored seven goals last season. I won't list every player that scored seven or more goals last season, but I can tell you that one of them was Martin Skrtel.

Has a decent record with pretty much every club he's been at, although he's more of a player that will cause defenders trouble than an out and out goalscorer. More a Lee Barnard than a Billy Sharp. Wasn't particularly easy to score goals in that Hull team last year, not much creativity around him. I think he'd do well in our team - funny that people are writing him off before he even thinks about pulling on the shirt..

Sorry but there would be plenty of quality strikers throughout Europe who would give their left nut to play in the Prem

You're right, but will they want to play for us or play in the Prem? We could sign a good striker for £15m and get a good season out of him before he f*cks off to Liverpool or City or somewhere just like this summer. Would rather have somebody with a bit of loyalty - Long's played for a couple of clubs at this level and by the sounds of it he's looking to settle. Plus, looking at the likes of Kozak, Cornelius, Karagounis, Aspas, Van Wolfswinkel, Osvaldo and Soldado having the reputation of a "quality striker" in Europe doesn't necessarily mean they'll be any good in this league. Long has the right attributes.

I think longs a pretty decent player, but then what do I know I'm just an ordinary joe who posts in a football forum. If I was an ex international defender who played for barca and won the European nations cup and champions league I may be a better judge. Particularly if I had a massive scouting network behind me. I would have thought RK thinks he can do a job, and I'd say he was better qualified to judge than anyone on here. I doubt the fee is £12 mil , remember what lamberts initial reports of a fee were for the same outlet . He's a good solid pro, used to the rough and tumble of the premiership , exactly what we need right now. I'll also be happy with a solid pro from within the premiership as a centre half signing this week. Pelle is the gamble, long is proven at this level, I'm happier with him than Ings or that borini bloke.

Shane long would be a decent signing. The kind of player that works hard every game. He has always seemed to do well against us. Can't understand the negative comments, think he will win you later over within a few months if he comes.

Because £12m is what we've spent on our marquee signings for the last couple of seasons, not for 'decent signings'...

Win over with a scoring rate of a goal every 4 games or so and cost nearly as much as Chambers? Set the world alight at Hull (or not as the case may be). Hopefully he will be a success but not a very inspiring summer and Reed is looking a bit foolish saying we had top players from across Europe interested in playing for us.

That one depends on how much of a sell on % we've got and as we've got Clyne so it's not too bad

Chambers was one from our much publicised academy. Everyone hoped we would get to the prem so we could keep our youngsters for a few years longer. This summer has shown that, if anything, being in the prem means we keep them for less time than previously. For me its the worst for that reason.

He has a grand total of 2 assists.

His combined rating is very low http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Combined_2013-14.html

Those world beaters Crouch and Nolan are above him.

Would be a terrible buy imo. If £12m is actually real then that's very scary.

So everyone picks and chooses what k Billy says then? I believe what he says about us being interested on long and I also believe him when he says sky don't know the price. It might be 4m up front with silly add ons. Long would be a decent signing, our starting line up on Saturday was too weak, long in for isgrove is a massive upgrade, even long coming on for mayuka is a massive upgrade.

Why does everyone think Long will play on the wing?? He is not a wide player at all.

Becuase we play 4-3-3 and Pelle will probably play as first choice CF? Of course it is not beyond the realm of possibility that we are might want a winger (Supposedly after Senad Lulic, a LW from Lazio, according to Tancredi Palmeri) and Long/Pelle will compete for the CF role.

I think longs a pretty decent player, but then what do I know I'm just an ordinary joe who posts in a football forum. If I was an ex international defender who played for barca and won the European nations cup and champions league I may be a better judge. Particularly if I had a massive scouting network behind me. I would have thought RK thinks he can do a job, and I'd say he was better qualified to judge than anyone on here. I doubt the fee is £12 mil , remember what lamberts initial reports of a fee were for the same outlet . He's a good solid pro, used to the rough and tumble of the premiership , exactly what we need right now. I'll also be happy with a solid pro from within the premiership as a centre half signing this week. Pelle is the gamble, long is proven at this level, I'm happier with him than Ings or that borini bloke.

Ings would be more exciting.

Long for 10m certainly takes the edge off what we got for our players. IF we do sign him for a figure around that price then those apologists who thought Saints didn't need to buy before we sold must feel a tad foolish. All clubs know we are desperate for players and now will double their expectations. Amateur in our strategy IMO

Moan moan F...ing moan it does your nut in .

Welcome Shane .

Hopefully he will get a good working relationship with Pelle and Jay rod later this year .

I would be happy for. Long to join as a squad player, but 10m! Iam sure there are plenty of players we could have bought of the same quality for half that a few months back. In fact I'd prefer the Watford lad