Transfer Rumours Only

Jimmy_D

If that is the case (may not be but if it is), what an utterly terrible summer we have had. The management team should ashamed and Ralf "judge us on September 1" Kruger should resign.

I think we'll get Long and Florin in this week, and we'll then hear the generic lines about us monitoring the market to see what is available and being 'Ready to act'. It's a damn huge gamble though if we just get 1 cb, who has just recovered from a 4 month lay off! If he gets injured, welcome to the NPC.

You obviously don't know Gordon, I would tend to believe what he writes as being true at the time. Things do change of course. If he says the Byram deal is no longer on then I for one believe him.
Yeah, I'd definitely consider him reliable, the Echo seem to have a decent enough relationship with the club these days, so pick up enough little bits and pieces.

I think we'll get Long and Florin in this week, and we'll then hear the generic lines about us monitoring the market to see what is available and being 'Ready to act'. It's a damn huge gamble though if we just get 1 cb, who has just recovered from a 4 month lay off! If he gets injured, welcome to the NPC.

Why? We did alright in our first season up with a worse side.

I agree. Are we still eligible to loan a Chelsea player?

My Mrs' brother keeps telling me we should be looking at loaning Kurt Zouma from them.

I agree. Are we still eligible to loan a Chelsea player?

My Mrs' brother keeps telling me we should be looking at loaning Kurt Zouma from them.

He's one of their 4 CB's, Sunderland tried but Chelsea wanted to keep him within their squad.

Our defence in the successful part of 2012/13 was...

Boruc

Clyne

Fonte

Yoshida

Shaw

At the moment for 2014/15 it is only two players different to that...

Forster

Clyne

Fonte

Yoshida

Bertrand

Forster seen as an improvement on Boruc, Bertrand a downgrade on Shaw but still a good player, plus we now have Wanyama as a defensive shield and keeper cover is better with Boruc on the bench rather than Davis/Gazzaniga. Without a better centre half than Yoshida we won't stay in the top half of the league, but its not a relegation candidate defence.

Edited by Matthew Le God

When discussing and whinging over Long's 12 million fee, people forget we are paying for the fee he was bought 9 months ago plus the remainder of his 5 year contract. No different to how we humped up the price on Shaw, Lallana and Lovren.

As Trout Tickler alluded to earlier, Long smacks of being a Les Reed signing. You can imagine him despatching the scouting network to all four corners of the earth and them returning with their notebooks full of names, only to have them crossed out one-by-one.

Suddenly, Les grins and says: "Here's one I've got tucked up my sleeve," and produces the name Shane Long.

I don't doubt that Koeman would have heard of him, as all top managers have an encyclopaedic knowledge of players, and Long is an Irish international who has been plying his trade in the PL for some years.

But I wouldn't think he is the type of player that Koeman would have actively gone out to recruit.

While not being a disaster, Long's signing is safe and a little unimaginative. It has Reed's thumbprints all over it.

Our defence in the successful part of 2012/13 was...

Boruc

Clyne

Fonte

Yoshida

Shaw

At the moment for 2014/15 it is only two players different to that...

Forster

Clyne

Fonte

Yoshida

Bertrand

Forster seen as an improvement on Boruc, Bertrand a downgrade on Shaw but still a good player, plus we now have Wanyama as a defensive shield and keeper cover is better with Boruc on the bench rather than Davis/Gazzaniga. Without a better centre half than Yoshida we won't stay in the top half of the league, but its not a relegation candidate defence.

wow

If Long comes I can see us playing 4-2-3-1 with Wanyama and Taidir in front of the back four and Ramirez, Long and Tadic behind Pelle. That is if Schneiderlin is still suffering from Cranium Posterium or Cranium Localum, take your pick.

That's a 50% change though, plus factoring in that Yoshida is a complete liability and nowhere near as good as Lovren. So yeah, only two players different, everything is fine

I do wonder where this slating of Yoshida comes from, is it like a collective consciousness thing. Yoshida is not a bad defender, give him more regular game time and the same partner...

While not being a disaster, Long's signing is safe and a little unimaginative. It has Reed's thumbprints all over it.

Safe wouldn't be a bad option after the Osvaldo, Mayuka and to a lesser extent Ramirez options. Seems like a good character in the dressing room, and also on the pitch is a little bit niggly and a tough competitor which we lack slightly in our current squad.

I do wonder where this slating of Yoshida comes from, is it like a collective consciousness thing. Yoshida is not a bad defender, give him more regular game time and the same partner...

I wonder when these games were when he has performed particularly well. I get more nervous when the ball is near him than with Jos

I was hoping the Belhanda rumours were true, or Scott Sinclair. Even with Long, we're desperately lacking that extra wide creative player.

Are we really going with Isgrove?!

All signings look fair enough, but mostly downgrades on what we had. Tadic and Pelle might be great, but upgrading Lambert and Lallana is a hell of a big ask for them. Let's not forget Morgan is probably gone too.

Redmond.

I wonder when these games were when he has performed particularly well. I get more nervous when the ball is near him than with Jos

I think you have already decided that he is no good so go into the match with a pre-determined mindset. I am open-minded and the matches I've seen him play he has played well, not up there with the best but more than adequate.

Like I say give him more game time and a regular partner..

The defence isn't the bit that worries me. We won a lot of games last year when we didn't concede, but even if we concede one, I'm not sure we have the talent to score enough to win. We were absolutely breathtaking at times last year - I don't see that happening with our current squad.

The defence isn't the bit that worries me. We won a lot of games last year when we didn't concede, but even if we concede one, I'm not sure we have the talent to score enough to win. We were absolutely breathtaking at times last year - I don't see that happening with our current squad.

No, it won't. You've got to cut the ties from last season, it's the only way you can look forward. We won't be as good or as exciting to watch, I've accepted that.

I do wonder where people get the impression that he is any good! Every time I have seen him play he's made individual errors and poor decisions, both for Saints and Japan. The number of times I've seen him running back towards goal, behind the striker, with his silly waddling gait, before slumping his shoulders as the ball nestles in the back of the net. He's poor - plain and simple! Him and Jos should be nowhere near the first team.

No, it won't. You've got to cut the ties from last season, it's the only way you can look forward. We won't be as good or as exciting to watch, I've accepted that.

It's natural that fans will compare us to last year. Particularly as Ralph has been going on about there being no change and aiming for Europe.

It's natural that fans will compare us to last year. Particularly as Ralph has been going on about there being no change and aiming for Europe.

To be fair, I've learnt to ignore anything that comes out of his mouth. I suggest everyone else does the same!

I do wonder where people get the impression that he is any good! Every time I have seen him play he's made individual errors and poor decisions, both for Saints and Japan. The number of times I've seen him running back towards goal, behind the striker, with his silly waddling gait, before slumping his shoulders as the ball nestles in the back of the net. He's poor - plain and simple! Him and Jos should be nowhere near the first team.

Although I disagree with you about Yosh, this made me laugh a lot! :lol: I'll never forget Hooiveld's face as he netted an own goal for the umpteenth time!

I'm not particularly a fan of Yoshida, but f you look at our defensive record in season 2012/13 once he'd been brought in, it really wasn't too bad.

At some point we're going to have to replace both Jos and Yoshida as I can't imagine either is currently happy with being 3rd / 4th choice. If Yoshida doesn't get playing time in the 1st half of the season I'd be surprised if he didn't ask for a move in January. In reality players should want to play!

At some point we're going to have to replace both Jos and Yoshida as I can't imagine either is currently happy with being 3rd / 4th choice. If Yoshida doesn't get playing time in the 1st half of the season I'd be surprised if he didn't ask for a move in January. In reality players should want to play!

Jos is just lucky to have a job. He's essentially a fan that has the beat seats in the house every week.

Assume Hooiveld is reasonably happy at his age pocketing his prem wage and getting odd game until his contract expires. Yoshida may be a different kettle of fish. Last season he was challenging for 2nd spot at times so if that was to continue we could probably keep him happy. However if Fonte who's solid but not great is captain and we actually buy someone who is good then he may not be happy being 3rd choice. Big ask to bring in a quality replacement of the ilk of Lovren/Svensson but that's what we need.

I'm not particularly a fan of Yoshida, but f you look at our defensive record in season 2012/13 once he'd been brought in, it really wasn't too bad.

I've slated Yoshida more than most on here, but I have to agree that he had a couple of decent games last season. In those games he got tighter and tougher, choosing to stick his foot in rather than stand off and jockey all day. He needs to do that all the time if he is going to be an asset.

My concern with is he is not quick, not good enough in the air and quite frankly at times his distribution is woeful, way below the standard expected at this level. Not exactly the stuff of dreams CB wise. Whenever I watch Japan he looks a weak link to me.

I am not too concerned with him as cover, it's the first choice pairing that worries me. Losing Lovren sets us back miles in that area.

I don't think anyone has suggested he is going tobe our fist choice CB this year, so what's your point?

My original point was in response to Trout's comment regarding Jos and Yosh being unhappy at holding the 3rd/4th spots on the bench. Meaning, I don't think Jos would complain in that role. He's not that good for the prem so he's essentially got great seats to Premier League action every week and I don't envision him complaining about riding the bench.