Transfer Rumours Only

Jimmy_D

Not sure I would call Tadic a marquee signing. A good signing none the less, and delighted to have him. Far rather players like him that a "marquee" signing that would be putting far too many eggs in one basket - just ask WHU about Carroll. And then, aren't "marquee" signings too much of a risk of being prima donnas and being far too flighty?

when we are selling anyone decent. our level of players has dropped, you have to agree

players like forster, tadic, pelle etc are our marquee signings, just on fee alone tadic is up there

Les reed has said that there would be only 1 marque signing. That was tadic

When did he say both of those things? Link?

Not sure I would call Tadic a marquee signing. A good signing none the less, and delighted to have him. Far rather players like him that a "marquee" signing that would be putting far too many eggs in one basket - just ask WHU about Carroll. And then, aren't "marquee" signings too much of a risk of being prima donnas and being far too flighty?

when we are selling anyone decent. our level of players has dropped, you have to agree

players like forster, tadic, pelle etc are our marquee signings, just on fee alone tadic is up there

Do you have the link Batman? I don't recall him saying anything remotely close to what you've claimed.

Do you have the link Batman? I don't recall him saying anything remotely close to what you've claimed.

check the videos online yourself. I remember him saying it.

Im on my phone and cant be arsed providing links at your request

There's a simple question to ask yourself when considering these 'possible' links. How much chance did we have keeping our best players from wanting out to a top 6 PL side?

I'm not sure the two go hand in hand. The exits, all English (bar the want away Lovren) and home grown which big clubs in this country now want, were all done so that we received a hefty transfer fee for each. We have the money to bring in players of the likes of Richards and Firmino, the question is whether we still have the draw. Thanks to one thing we got right this summer, the managerial appointment, I think we do have that draw for players to come here.

It's ok we'll wait for the links you provide, thanks.

Les reed has said that there would be only 1 marque signing. That was tadic

Les Reed has done only two Saints videos in recent months.

25th April 2014...

10th June 2014...

1) In neither video does he say there will only be "only 1 marque signing"

2) Dusan Tadic signed for Southampton on 8th July 2014, which is significantly after both Reed videos!

I think your memory/faculties are failing you Batman, in the same way you persist in saying I've said Saints are bigger than Everton - when I didn't.

Its all...

c99m5ly

Edited by Matthew Le God

Don't you think if he had said that it would have been all over here and discussed extensively? Yet you mentioning it is the first anyone has heard of it...

They should be without the amount we are making from sales.

Out of interest which 20m players do you think we should go for? Typically they already play for teams playing in Europe or will only move to ones that are or normally are (ie Lallana, Shaw).

A 20m signing would usually be in line for wages of 80k a week plus which isn't really our market.

This isnt a dig at Saints but we are operating in the market down from that, the 10-15m signings are probably the max for us, unless we hugely overpay for someone.

Should still be able to get plenty of good players though!

Out of interest which 20m players do you think we should go for? Typically they already play for teams playing in Europe or will only move to ones that are or normally are (ie Lallana, Shaw).

A 20m signing would usually be in line for wages of 80k a week plus which isn't really our market.

This isnt a dig at Saints but we are operating in the market down from that, the 10-15m signings are probably the max for us, unless we hugely overpay for someone.

Out of interest, what's the big problem with this? If we assume that the player leaves after c.2 years for a tasty profit, is it not a win-win situation? I guess it sucks to see a constantly fluctuating team, but if fan can swallow that... ?

Out of interest, what's the big problem with this? If we assume that the player leaves after c.2 years for a tasty profit, is it not a win-win situation? I guess it sucks to see a constantly fluctuating team, but if fan can swallow that... ?

I think Charlie's point is we can't buy 20m players, we can only make our own and sell them. Which is true and, in my opinion, fine.

Very unlikely that a player who came here for £20m -assuming they're not young and English- would leave for a tasty profit.

To add further value to an already high price, we'd have to qualify for Europe and said player would have to shine in Europe, catapulting him into the next price bracket.

At some point, a player's value becomes heavily dependent on the club's progress.

Don't you think if he had said that it would have been all over here and discussed extensively? Yet you mentioning it is the first anyone has heard of it...

This. If Reed had said that it would be common knowledge on here and would have been forum ammunition for weeks. He didn't say it.

I think Charlie's point is we can't buy 20m players, we can only make our own and sell them. Which is true and, in my opinion, fine.

Exactly.

My point is you could give Swindon Town 50m and they couldnt sign anyone for more than about 3m because the players worth more than that wouldnt want to play for them.

We arent in the 20m plus market but the one just beneath that, same as the midtable sector of the PL.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Exactly.

My point is you could give Swindon Town 50m and they couldnt sign anyone for more than about 3m because the players worth more than that wouldnt want to play for them.

We arent in the 20m plus market but the one just beneath that, same as the midtable sector of the PL.

Yeah, I agree with you, just didn't pick up on the 20m bit originally... :?

Very true. We are in the 'good but unproven at this level' market. The only other markets we could be in are the 'failed at a top club' and 'used to be good but past it now'.

Reed did say that any bids for our best players will probably met with a 'NO'

Note the word "probably"!

Plus, if he said "any bids would definitely be met with a yes", then that doesn't put Saints in a strong negotiating position. You can list the names of non selling clubs in World football on the fingers of one hand, Saints of course aren't one of them, neither are the likes of Man Utd or Liverpool (as Suarez and Ronaldo show).

Reed did say that any bids for our best players will probably met with a 'NO'

so what, he doesn't control the sales,probably not even the prices. Probably doesn't even control the purchases either. He is not in charge of club policy, of that I'm sure, neither is Krusty the Clown, who does that leave then? I make it Hofstadter and the owner herself, unless of course you lend any importance to the CEO.

I thought this thread was for actual news, not slagging each other off

slagging each other off is what most posts seem to be. Theres probably the basis for a psychology PhD thesis there.

I still keep looking in case the occasional transfer snippet sneaks in

so what, he doesn't control the sales,probably not even the prices. Probably doesn't even control the purchases either. He is not in charge of club policy, of that I'm sure, neither is Krusty the Clown, who does that leave then? I make it Hofstadter and the owner herself, unless of course you lend any importance to the CEO.

I think that's completely wrong. Lots of conspiracy theories going on but my gut feel is it's nothing more than Reed thinking these offers are too good to turn down.

If you were a Liverpool fan would you think Lallana and Lovren were worth 25 million and 20 million respectively? I doubt it. Reed (and probably Koeman) probably believe they can replace these players with similar/better quality from abroad for much cheaper prices. We'll have a good idea come the end of the window if they were right

but if he had to choose between us and Everton where do you think he would go ?

If my pay wasnt changing then I'd go to the club

1. Nearest to Arsenal / London / Heathrow

2. The club with the best players as coaches - Koeman x 2 and Sammy Lee.

Why should they lose if these blokes are so great ?

Strange logic. Even the best players are on the losing side now and then.

I imagine saint charlie's point is no champions league seriously damages celtic's negotiating position. The players no longer have the option have champions league football if they stay and celtic, because of the clubs financial realities, would be more inclined to entertain sensible offers should they miss out on qualification.

Strange logic. Even the best players are on the losing side now and then.

I imagine saint charlie's point is no champions league seriously damages celtic's negotiating position. The players no longer have the option have champions league football if they stay and celtic, because of the clubs financial realities, would be more inclined to entertain sensible offers should they miss out on qualification.

Not strange logic at all, I expect them to win, can't see why they should lose.

Loic Remy has failed his L'Pool medical and the transfer is off, apparently now Liverpool will switch priority to Rodriguez. Not entirely sure how they expect him to pass a medical either?

Are we now going to have the whole cycle AGAIN with Liverpool bidding low and telling the press they've bid higher etc.

Loic Remy has failed his L'Pool medical and the transfer is off, apparently now Liverpool will switch priority to Rodriguez. Not entirely sure how they expect him to pass a medical either?

is there a point where might actually say no?

thought Lacazette was their preferred back up option...could be wrong, other clubs know that we're in shîte street for some reason or other and will keep picking us over until

anything useful has gone and been replaced by a Dutchman.