Jack Cork Rumours

toe_punt

Good point. I remember loads of b*tchng and whinging on here when he was sold, but he hardly set the world alight at Palace did he? In fact I think they still don't really like him that much ...

Not sure what you are on about. Puncheon has done well for them. He was a bargain at the price they got him for.

But surely you'd just go on a self-imposed strike until you got your way? ;)

Ha! To be honest I didn't think my post made any sense. I've just always wanted to do that thing where people use a work Analogy on a football forum. Like when Ashley Cole used that air rifle, and people were typing, 'yeah but If I shot the Temp who does the photocopying in my officce........ Surely i'd be sacked?..why is it diferent for a footballer?'

Do you really believe the Morgan will be staying? Do you think Wanyama with his style of play, won't pick up a few suspensions and injuries?

I thought the aim was to build up a decent squad to ensure competition in all positions? Not decimate it and replace with players unproven at Prem level.

It is and we've got it. The players coming through from the academy will gain their experience from being squad / backup to key players. Having 25 year old squad players who arent going to develop further but arent good enough to be first choices just blocks off that progression route.

Not sure what you are on about. Puncheon has done well for them. He was a bargain at the price they got him for.

Wasn't hard to find this;

""I am all for getting behind the players, but Puncheon is one of the worst players I have seen in a palace shirt for a long while. He wanders about off the ball. No work rate at all, when he seemed to have that at other sides...

He gives the ball away more than anyone else and holds the ball for too long.

He gets pushed off the ball too easily.

Cannot pass it ten yards.

I am sick of watching him already, one thing we certainly cannot afford is players that arent willing to roll their sleeves up and work for the side and he is not pulling his weight.

On top of this, I stayed behind after the swansea game to get some photos and autographs for my son and niece. He didnt give any fans the time of day and pretty much told one fan to **** off...the fan was simple to put it fairly and it was really not on.

I want this **** as far away from our club as possible""

But anyway, wrong thread etc.

Just one last thing from me on this thread. Do we not think that perhaps this story has come from Cork's camp to try to hurry up Saints in caving in to Cork's contract demands? I don't know, but certainly possible.

Palace's owners flat out stated they are in negotiation for a premier league midfielder that would be a coup, I don't think they would mention it if negotiations weren't in an advanced state. Papers say we've agreed the fee rather than had a bid, all signs point to Cork leaving unfortunately.

If I was unhappy at work and wanted to leave, would my firm just let me go? Why is it any different for footballers?

If you worked for me and was unhappy, playing up and putting a downer on those around you - you'd be gone as fast as I could negotiate my way through the employment law minefield.

Good point. I remember loads of b*tchng and whinging on here when he was sold, but he hardly set the world alight at Palace did he? In fact I think they still don't really like him that much ...

Blimey - I thought Puncheon did rather well at Palarce. We certainly missed him.

If we lose Cork do we get Jordie Classie to replace him? If so, so be it.

We seem to be intent on selling our whole team spirit, anyone with any personality. Its a wonder Davis and Jos are still here.

This is what worries me, not so much the transfer as in context it makes sense....but we'll be a team of strangers next year, as we've already sold too many. It's a worry.

Sunderland tried it last year and it was messy, and players like Giacarainni (sp) was actually seen as a pretty big coup for them at the time - but too many players signed at once can really upset the balance, and when you add that to too many players leaving at once it's kind of a recipe for disaster.

I do hope we buck the trend here, but I fear we'll be watching a load of individuals for a few months whilst they bed in and who knows what state the league will be in by that time.

We had it right before, evolving each position as we went - 3/4 signings a year, the first team player from last year then becomes back up and so on. Long gone are those days!

Wasn't hard to find this;

""I am all for getting behind the players, but Puncheon is one of the worst players I have seen in a palace shirt for a long while. He wanders about off the ball. No work rate at all, when he seemed to have that at other sides...

He gives the ball away more than anyone else and holds the ball for too long.

He gets pushed off the ball too easily.

Cannot pass it ten yards.

I am sick of watching him already, one thing we certainly cannot afford is players that arent willing to roll their sleeves up and work for the side and he is not pulling his weight.

On top of this, I stayed behind after the swansea game to get some photos and autographs for my son and niece. He didnt give any fans the time of day and pretty much told one fan to **** off...the fan was simple to put it fairly and it was really not on.

I want this **** as far away from our club as possible""

But anyway, wrong thread etc.

Since signing for Palace permanently wiki says he scored 7 goals in 14 games. That's a rate of 1 every 2 games. I only hope we can find a striker with a scoring rate as good, let alone a midfielder.

Back to Cork. Would be very disappointed if he left, especially for anything close to £3m. With all the outgoings this summer I always reassured myself that 'at least we'll still have a few core players left like Cork and Clyne.

My mate is a Palace season ticket holder and thinks Puncheon is "rubbish."

Where would we get another player of his caliber for 3 million? He deserves a decent contract or being allowed to leave for nothing next year as a reward for all he has done. Maybe like Shaw, Lallana, Lambert. Chambers Jack speaks English too well and someone high up doesn't like people who understand, realise what is going on. The heart of the club has been ripped out, now they want to rid us of the soul, the history, all that makes this Southampton Football Club.

My respect for Rupert Lowe, for all he achieved and wanted for the club grows. We were British, were proud, now we are anything but. The last Dutch contingent ruined the team and once again the same thing is repeating itself.

Where would we get another player of his caliber for 3 million? He deserves a decent contract or being allowed to leave for nothing next year as a reward for all he has done. Maybe like Shaw, Lallana, Lambert. Chambers Jack speaks English too well and someone high up doesn't like people who understand, realise what is going on. The heart of the club has been ripped out, now they want to rid us of the soul, the history, all that makes this Southampton Football Club.

My respect for Rupert Lowe, for all he achieved and wanted for the club grows. We were British, were proud, now we are anything but. The last Dutch contingent ruined the team and once again the same thing is repeating itself.

First sentence I agree with, the rest is a load of over emotional guff.

Really Art?

Funny how people get annoyed about players who WANT to leave, then a terrific young player with us for years is forced out on the cheap and some don't seem to care. Lots assuming Taider is better and will start. Based on what exactly?

Cork knows the league and formed a terrific partnership with Morgan in our first season back. Without him we wouldn't have survived. Yes, Wanyama is a better DM, he's better than most people, but we all know Morgan is leaving. Cork has shown he can play with Wanyama and that would create a very solid platform for the team. If you're playing 3 CMs Cork can play in any of the positions, he had some great games further forward.

Are we just keen to ditch any continuity? Is there any spirit left in the squad? We didn't cave in and get hammered last season. We had players together a long time, a good spirit and it showed nearly every game. You see other sides with new players each season, constant change, and there's nowhere near the same commitment.

Christ if I were a prem manager and Cork is there for 3m I'd take him whatever club, great option.

I have no pretension of being ITK and would very much like to hear Cork had signed a new contract. However, I think I can see why it might make sense to let a player in his position go - at least from a money perspective:

Cork either makes it clear he won't renew at the end of next season or Big Ron thinks he'd rather not offer him a new deal. So we have the option of retaining him for the remaining year of his agreement on a salary of, let's say, £1million.

Alternatively we take a fee of £3 million and free up another £1million from the wages bill (a bit more after insurance, employers NI, pensions etc). This would mean an effective cost to the club of £4million for a season in which it's looking like he won't appear too often.

Not sure I'd agree with this thinking but if all that money could be used for another player or to allow us to offer a more attractive package to someone we couldn't afford otherwise, well it's logical enough.

As fans we only see (or hear rumour) of bits and pieces of what goes on. I'm sure there's a joined up plan we don't know about. I hope it's a good one.

A lot of people say that they would be disappointed if he left, and I would regret it as well. But....looking at the line ups people want and expect, Cork never features in the starting line up. I realise the emotional attachment of one of the old gang, but it's time people realise that we have entered a new chapter and in football there is no place for sentiment. People also are saying the board is mad, but honestly, I put my faith in Koeman. It maybe difficult, but so be it. We have no divine right to finish in 8th place, and I am looking forward to this season. I fully expect to get battered a few times (starting Sunday) but then that's my pessimism - if the worst does happen I don't get disappointed. If we get a draw thanks to the Human Wall, then I will be more elated. Koeman is the key.

As mush as Cork has done a good job for us, who in reality, has him in the starting XI if the whole squad is fit? I don't.

If he has been told he isn't first choice (pre-season selections would certainly suggest it) can you really blame him for wanting to go?

The price is low, but that is due to his lack of contract. I wish him all the best, for me we have better.

This is what worries me, not so much the transfer as in context it makes sense....but we'll be a team of strangers next year, as we've already sold too many. It's a worry.

Sunderland tried it last year and it was messy, and players like Giacarainni (sp) was actually seen as a pretty big coup for them at the time - but too many players signed at once can really upset the balance, and when you add that to too many players leaving at once it's kind of a recipe for disaster.

I do hope we buck the trend here, but I fear we'll be watching a load of individuals for a few months whilst they bed in and who knows what state the league will be in by that time.

We had it right before, evolving each position as we went - 3/4 signings a year, the first team player from last year then becomes back up and so on. Long gone are those days!

So relegation zone all year, manager change and last gasp escape to look forward too. hmmmmmmmm

Anyone would think Cork is the best player in the world. He's a decent player yes but not he's hardly going to get a game in our starting 11, he's going to be behind Wanyama for start in the holding midfield role and in midfield in general I'd like to see JWP ahead of him and I think Taider will be ahead of him in the pecking order as well. It's nothing like morgan whoi would be first choice if he wasn't such a pr1ck.

My mate is a Palace season ticket holder and thinks Puncheon is "rubbish."

Probably knows as little as you then - surprising that Puncheon was short listed for their player of the season award.

Along with Speroni, Ward, Jedinak, Delaney, Punch is one of their most important players, especially as the others are all defensively-minded.

Edited by shurlock

Seem to remember reports from last season (before Wanyama injury) that Jack had said that Pochettino hadn't spoken to him in quite a while and that he was in the dark regarding things. Now it seems that another incoming manager doesnt think that much of him.

Back up player, last year of contract, significant salary and possibly blocking promotion of academy players... I love Jackie Cork but head over heart and all that.

Anyone would think Cork is the best player in the world. He's a decent player yes but not he's hardly going to get a game in our starting 11, he's going to be behind Wanyama for start in the holding midfield role and in midfield in general I'd like to see JWP ahead of him and I think Taider will be ahead of him in the pecking order as well. It's nothing like morgan whoi would be first choice if he wasn't such a pr1ck.

He is a good player, hence why he has been linked with another PL team. But how good he is, and how highly he is rated, is reflected in which teams come in for him. I thought back in June/July that Everton were being linked with him.

Are you running for UKIP?

*our squad wasn't made up of British players under Lowe. And those certainly weren't glory days.

Bottom line for me is does Koeman rate him or feel he needs him?

If the answer is that he has more than enough midfielders (and let's face it Schneiderlin isn't going to be here post 1 Sep) then let him go. We have to clear some players off the wage bill.

I wonder whether Cork was going to be sold in order to improve the midfield with attacking midfielders like Classie. But I wonder if Koeman was more hopeful that Schneiderlin would stay - and now he is talking in the media again about gentle men's agreements to leave etc.

Also, despite looking attacking on Saturday (we were a goal down don't forget) Taider was sold to us as a defensive midfielder, Corks replacement already in place?

My only concern is that we are removing the heart of a Premier League quality side. None of the replacements are proven in this league and one or two are statistically destined to fail. Cork is dependable in this league, Taider has a way to go yet.

Bottom line for me is does Koeman rate him or feel he needs him?

If the answer is that he has more than enough midfielders (and let's face it Schneiderlin isn't going to be here post 1 Sep) then let him go. We have to clear some players off the wage bill.

I wonder whether Cork was going to be sold in order to improve the midfield with attacking midfielders like Classie. But I wonder if Koeman was more hopeful that Schneiderlin would stay - and now he is talking in the media again about gentle men's agreements to leave etc.

Also, despite looking attacking on Saturday (we were a goal down don't forget) Taider was sold to us as a defensive midfielder, Corks replacement already in place?

My only concern is that we are removing the heart of a Premier League quality side. None of the replacements are proven in this league and one or two are statistically destined to fail. Cork is dependable in this league, Taider has a way to go yet.

I do agree with your sentiment, however I have high hopes for Taider. I believe he could be one of our star performers this season.

I do agree with your sentiment, however I have high hopes for Taider. I believe he could be one of our star performers this season.

Maybe, in essence, Tadier is the upgrade to Cork. Still a lot to prove though tbf, but he looks talented.

Still would be a shame to lose a dependable PL player who is happy to stay here though, that's my main gripe.

Would be a coup for Palace to net him.

Or as MLG put it, time to get concerned is when we sell players to teams around or below us :lol:

Cue some rambling defense of the decision that Cork was only a bit-part player all while justifying sales in order to increase squad depth.

Cork is a decent squad player but his problem is that he isnt as good at DM as Wanyama or Schneiderlin; offers little creativly or goal threat, cant play on the wings and isnt as good as Clyne at right back. Which begs the question why would you keep him.

The classic watering down of a players ability when they leave commences. Cork has been brilliant for us.

Are you running for UKIP?

*our squad wasn't made up of British players under Lowe. And those certainly weren't glory days.

I never said we were made up of British players!!!!!!! I said we were British, referring to the fact that the club were British, run by British, of which we were proud. We didn't have the money and had to make do with what we had.

Lowe shared and may still share UKIP thinking but I most certainly do not.

In general, what a shambles of a summer. For all the talk of rebuilding and strengthing, we have only secured 1 position in the long term with Forster coming in and we still have real issues with squad depth. Added to the fact that many players we have got in are unknown quantities, this is always a challenge even when you are only trying to bed in 1 or 2. I don't think this is going to be a particularly pleasant season ahead.

Me too to be honest. But, is letting Cork go a step too far this early in the season? Dependability versus someone with much to learn about the Premiership and living in the UK. Taider looks promising. Cork already delivers promise.

But I guess we must trust Koeman. He will understand the players he wants and who has the right attitude and where he can and can't take risk. But, when does too much too soon finally mean something? Or has our team been so poisoned by bad apples like Lallana, Lovren and possibly Schneiderlin? Perhaps it does need a clear out? And it sounds as if it's Cork not signing his contract ,(admittedly as he wants 1st team footy).

Boruc next?

Maybe, in essence, Tadier is the upgrade to Cork. Still a lot to prove though tbf, but he looks talented.

Still would be a shame to lose a dependable PL player who is happy to stay here though, that's my main gripe.

Don't think Koeman has full say or control over Cork - unless Koeman desperately wanted to Cork, the preference was always to sell him.

It's not like Cork has had much to time to impress - if you wanted to run the rule over someone, you would have given them more preaseason game time; it's equally perverse to claim that you want time to evaluate a player while concluding Taider is more than adequate backup on the basis of less than one half.

With all the disruption and Schneiderlin's pending departure, Cork is now one of our most experienced and proven players -he is still more important than JWP and not far behind Davis IMO; last season, as players went down like flies with injuries, we could take comfort from the fact that our midfield was sorted.

It doesnt matter how much we moan and bleep

theres not a lot we as fans can do about it

Is it possible we are using cork as part of a swop deal for one of their players by any chance

Cortesse will be rubbing his hands if he is reading this forum and the abuse that is being directed towards the board

Well done daily Mail

In general, what a shambles of a summer. For all the talk of rebuilding and strengthing, we have only secured 1 position in the long term with Forster coming in and we still have real issues with squad depth. Added to the fact that many players we have got in are unknown quantities, this is always a challenge even when you are only trying to bed in 1 or 2. I don't think this is going to be a particularly pleasant season ahead.

It is a fire sale. Said it all along, you sell damaged goods during a fire sale. Trouble is - is Cork damaged goods?? Not sure he is, it's just we already have competition for the defensive midfield slot.

We are in a relegation battle this season..... until it looks like we're not. As fans we need to get back into the strong supporting 12th man relegation mode we've forgotten how to do under Cortese. If Koeman is a genius then we can ease up and enjoy) but I hope the fans at Anfield on Sunday give a really strong account of themselves. We will need the Northam like the bad old days I'm afraid. But if we survive (I think we should) then watch Koeman kick us on!