Jack Cork Rumours

toe_punt

And Utd over paid by about 6 times for Shaw. Those figures are not worth taking on board unless it fits your negative outlook on life.

This club has completely lost it......

Cork is a great player who was keeping MS out and playing great football.... We definately improved with him playing...

To sell is madness pure madness and for 3m !!!!

A shocking testament to appalling management and destruction of a fine team.....

All you happy clappies can bask in this if you like but it's rotten to the core.

Cork is a great player who was keeping MS out and playing great football.... We definately improved with him playing...

A shocking testament to appalling management and destruction of a fine team.....

All you happy clappies can bask in this if you like but it's rotten to the core.

I would keep him and sell MS, given that MS's head seems to be elsewhere.

Is this not just Koeman's decision?

Who's to say Cork's head isn't elsewhere too? If that's the case then sell the worse of the 2 players...

if Corks' Dad's tweets are anything to go by then he has wanted a new contract from Saints. Whether or not his agent is asking too much money, who knows.

Why is it rotten? For starters we have been told that no bid has been accepted. You seem to be getting worked up over nothing. And if he does go I am sure there are good reasons for it. He may well b*gger off for nothing next year anyway so why get so upset?

Maybe we are doing him a favour, koeman knows he won't play much and we've accepted a cheap offer to enable him to play regularly. I'd like to think as a club like the sharp deal we do what we can for players who won't feature.

We are not 'care in the community' mate we are a professional football club who should act in the best interest of the fans. This isn't a question of being charitable all the time!

In which case we will up eventually in one place - next to that lot down the road. Cortese got that team together by being ruthless don't forget that....are you a winner or a loser' I'll let you decide where you sit !

Why is it rotten? For starters we have been told that no bid has been accepted. You seem to be getting worked up over nothing. And if he does go I am sure there are good reasons for it. He may well b*gger off for nothing next year anyway so why get so upset?

I told you why !!!!

Err no. Transfermarket valued him at £11.4m in February and at £19.5m now. That probably about right since Man U were partly buying potential.

3 times too much, 6 times too much,.... the point is moot. It was more that the values that website attach to things aren't always correct/relevant. Look what the values are for our transfers in/out - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-southampton/transfers/verein/180/saison_id/2014

It is a fire sale. Said it all along, you sell damaged goods during a fire sale. Trouble is - is Cork damaged goods?? Not sure he is, it's just we already have competition for the defensive midfield slot.

We are in a relegation battle this season..... until it looks like we're not. As fans we need to get back into the strong supporting 12th man relegation mode we've forgotten how to do under Cortese. If Koeman is a genius then we can ease up and enjoy) but I hope the fans at Anfield on Sunday give a really strong account of themselves. We will need the Northam like the bad old days I'm afraid. But if we survive (I think we should) then watch Koeman kick us on!

You have said 8,254 things on here and I have never understood your logic in a single one of them.

How can you say that we are in a relegation battle this season with such authority? The way you've phrased this post with such certainty it's almost as if you know what you're talking about, which on evidence of the other 8,253 things you've posted is clearly not the case.

We have now got in place the most decorated manager in our history. We have a champions league winner at LB (Many Chelsea fans still maintain he was the man of the match in the final) with the option to buy next year, we have got in Europe's 3rd highest goalscorer of the last two years. We have signed the best player from the Eredivise. We have bought in Taider, who, on the evidence of his performance vs Bayer and his performances for Bologna and Algeria looks a class act. We can also sign him for £7m next summer if he turns out to be a poor acquisition. We have signed Englands 3rd choice goalkeeper for a record amount on a goalkeeper in the UK market. We are close to signing what looks like a very study CB and, admittedly for over the odds, an International striker with almost 150 Premier League appearances to his name in Shane Long.

Which part of that is leading you to think we will be in a relegation battle? Is it having England's 3rd choice keeper in goal? Or having Europe's third highest goalscorer up front?

Yeah, we lost Lambert - he was most likely going to be replaced this year (the evidence is in that we tried replacing him last year and almost sold him in January.)

We've lost Lallana? He had one good Premier League season and will never be worth £25 Million again, best to take it while you can. He is, also, the Premier League player who lost the ball more times than anyone else in the league and didn't create as many chances as he should have done. Yeah, he looked good at getting himself out of trouble, but how many times did he get himself into trouble in the first place?

Lovren? We had him for a year. The season before we signed him, although conceding more goals, we did stay up. We stayed up comfortably, despite both our terrible start to the season and our terrible finish.

Chambers... Would have been great to keep him but after 25 apps, £16m is silly money. We potentially should have tried to keep him but who would you rather play for?

Shaw, again, would have been great to keep him but for the money we got vs the amount of goals and assists he got it's outrageously good business. Yeah, he was a very accomplished defender, but then, so is Bertrand.

Saint Robbie, if you're still reading - can you please explain your rationale as to why we are going to be in a relegation battle? I really feel you haven't thought about the positive changes made this summer and believe the talk of the "exodus" being as bad as Ben Smith will have you believe. Are you a Daily Mail reader, by any chance?

Has a year left on his contract, we have 5 or 6 better midfielders and he's clearly not happy trying to compete with them.

We do not have 5 or 6 better midfielders than Cork.

Schneiderlin - Yes, for however much longer he is here.

Wanyama and Davis - Arguably.

Taider is unproven in the Premier League, and Ward-Prowse and Reed still have much to prove.

Has a year left on his contract, we have 5 or 6 better midfielders and he's clearly not happy trying to compete with them.

We have 5 or 6 better midfielders in his position? I'd love to know who they are apart from MS? In my opinion, Cork performed better than Big Vic over the course of last season. Who else is better than him? Does his job brilliantly, we seem to play better when he's playing and would be a big loss to us.

As also confirmed/reported by Echo. But, also, no immediate plans to open contract talks either. Don't think RK rates Cork and he's the one that counts, not fans on this message board (rightly or wrongly).

Sounds from the report like no bids, but if one came in it wouldnt exactly be scoffed at.

Good to see club legend shares high opinion of Cork. Just wish Saints board pull their heads out of whatever hole they've stuck them in before we lose another very good player and this time for a pittance.

Our squad has now changed so much, and includes many newcomers who do not have proven Premiership experience, that it is going to take some time before the manager, experienced as he is, will be able to assess his best options. So why sell a proven good premiership quality footballer now. Surely it would be sensible to wait until January when informed decisions can be taken.

Sounds from the report like no bids, but if one came in it wouldnt exactly be scoffed at.

My understanding is that, while Koeman doesn't see him as a starter, he would like to retain him at least for this season and perhaps review things after Christmas. He's versatile and has the right attitude, but RK (and others at the club) believe that the likes of Ward-Prowse and Reed have made great strides in the last year or two and are almost (if not yet) on a par with Cork on a technical level, if not on experience and know-how. Of course, they'd possibly/probably lose him for nothing next summer, but £3m isn't a massive amount in the grand scheme of things.

My understanding is that, while Koeman doesn't see him as a starter, he would like to retain him at least for this season and perhaps review things after Christmas. He's versatile and has the right attitude, but RK (and others at the club) believe that the likes of Ward-Prowse and Reed have made great strides in the last year or two and are almost (if not yet) on a par with Cork on a technical level, if not on experience and know-how. Of course, they'd possibly/probably lose him for nothing next summer, but £3m isn't a massive amount in the grand scheme of things.

That's 20% of Cortese's horrendous overspend on the training ground!

This all strikes me as simply the next attempt at destabilisation via the Fail to counter the relatively good news of signings and hard-ball with Morgan

I doubt it. We've been through the cycle plenty of times of this summer. No one is writting stuff with the sole purpose of trying to de-stabilise the club :facepalm:

Only Schneiderlin or Wanyama could be considered better and on form I think Cork could keep Wanyama out of the team, especially as his forward passing is vastly better.

Would be a silly player to sell.

Give the lad a new contract.

Cheers for the information, Steve.

I doubt it. We've been through the cycle plenty of times of this summer. No one is writting stuff with the sole purpose of trying to de-stabilise the club :facepalm:

Then that is good news but how do you know certain jounos dont have an agenda? I dont see many balanced articles from some of them - only one side of the story.

Hope common sense prevails and nothing comes of this. If at the end of the season he decides he doesn't want to be here and we end up letting him go for a free then so be it, it's not like we're desperate for £3m right now and I firmly believe he still has a lot to offer us this coming season. Any talk about us having 5 better central midfielders at this moment in time is complete horsesh1t, not to mention the fact that he gives us (just about) adequate cover at right back. Secretly hoping that once things have settled down a bit into the season he'll decide to commit his future with us for a bit longer.

Pulis apparently in show down talks, over lack of funds/signings, and might quit by mutual agreement within 24 hours!!! That's a big WTF!!!

Just heard that on TalkSport. Would seem odd that he would throw his toys out of the pram if they had just made a bid for Cork.