Jack Cork Rumours

toe_punt

I will be very sorry indeed to see jack Cork sold to Palace. Why?? he has been very good for us and will be a big loss. Our team has been decimated in the last month or so and I will find ti very difficult to forgive Reed, Kreuger and their ilk for what they have done. It is ridiculous and so are they.

He is not a "great player" and palace will not finish above us. If we are going to have a pathway to the first team for players like HR and JWP we can't have average mid/bottom premiership players standing in their way. I'm happy with the midfield we have without him, he's not as good as people make out . Playing for palace is about his level, we have a far better midfield than that.

This is nonsense. Have you actually watched him playing for us on a regular basis?

This would be dreadfully sad.

(A "victim" of the Cortese promotion bonuses?)

I would be very sad to see him go, I don't know about a victim of bonuses, but I think we're the victim of trying to have proper squad depth strength and keeping players happy, the same will happen with Boruc I guess. Far more difficult to build a genuinely good overall squad than it is to build a genuinely good first XI.

I'd be sad to see Cork go, but if he's not going to get game time, he's better off somewhere else. Especially if our future is Reed and JWP. Has Cork ever let us down? I can't think of an incident. He was also one of our better performers in our Championship relegation season.

£3 million does seem low though for a player some on here think could play for England. I Wonder if this a precursor to bringing in another CM, as we are still being linked with them.

Is he seriously going? Tell me it's a joke?

Simply fantastic player, never lets you down and seems to improve each season. In a summer of so many departures adding another needlessly seems like a terrible move.

And 3m? In today's market? What a fantastic move for Palace if true. Good luck to them if true but I'd have hoped Jack could do better. No doubt he'll do well there though. Liking this new Saints squad less and less.

Sums up my views succinctly.

Simply fantastic player, never lets you down and seems to improve each season. In a summer of so many departures adding another needlessly seems like a terrible move.

And 3m? In today's market? What a fantastic move for Palace if true. Good luck to them if true but I'd have hoped Jack could do better. No doubt he'll do well there though. Liking this new Saints squad less and less.

Yep.

We play a system that requires 3 central midfielders, Cork isn't one of those three, he is one of 7 first team central midfielders at the club. He clearly wants regular first team football and he won't get that at Saints. Saints have enough central midfielders to be able to sell Cork for four times what they paid for him with a year left on his contract.

I'm gonna hope straight in there and start to push some blame Koemans way. The guy's already essentially swapped Chambers for Shane Long ffs. It's fair enough selling players for huge fees if it ensures the long term stability of the club but we're selling promising youngsters and spunking millions on dross in their mid to late 20's who are going to have f#ck all resale value, what happened to signing young players and developing them?

We play a system that requires 3 central midfielders, Cork isn't one of those three, he is one of 7 first team central midfielders at the club. He clearly wants regular first team football and he won't get that at Saints. Saints have enough central midfielders to be able to sell Cork for four times what they paid for him with a year left on his contract.

Regrettably this is the facts. Take the emotion out of it and you are there.

Gutted to see him go, but that's football

The problem we have is keeping someone of Cork's ability happy as 2nd choice. It is probably the hardest thing for a club our size, to effectively build a squad full of depth.

How do we know how we'll play? How do we know Koeman's tactics are going to work? He's not a one trick pony like Pochettino and will be influenced by results and what gets us winning games. Mayuka cost 3 million so why is he preferred to a trusted player like Cork? It's sheer madness.

Without taking the pish....Ormerod was an 8 goal a season quality striker

How do we know how we'll play? How do we know Koeman's tactics are going to work? He's not a one trick pony like Pochettino and will be influenced by results and what gets us winning games.

Because I've watched the team in pre-season and listened to every Koeman interview where he has stated on a number of occasions the'll play 4-3-3. Cork is clearly behind Wanyama to play in the role sitting in front of the centre backs.

In any case, regardless of them playing 3 central midfielders or 2, Cork is very unlikely to be one of them with everyone fit and he wants regular first team football. He is one of 7 central midfielders at the club.

Mayuka cost 3 million so why is he preferred to a trusted player like Cork? It's sheer madness.

How have you jumped to that conclusion?

Ridiculous if true.

Cork is one of the stable players who provides something extra in the squad, team spirit.

Plan ahead, give JC a new 3 year contract and he'll stilll be an important part NEXT season and possibly the season after. No matter how good he is its doubtful Taider will be here next season, and Schneiderlin may not be here next month.

I always feared we'd be a team of dago mercenaries under Poch when he came in, it didn't happen, but ' itshappeningnow#' alright.

Ridiculous if true.

Cork is one of the stable players who provides something extra in the squad, team spirit.

Plan ahead, give JC a new 3 year contract and he'll stilll be an important part NEXT season and possibly the season after. No matter how good he is its doubtful Taider will be here next season, and Schneiderlin may not be here next month.

I always feared we'd be a team of dago mercenaries under Poch when he came in, it didn't happen, but ' itshappeningnow#' alright.

If Cork is considered to be behind Wanyama for the role sat in front of the centre backs, why would Cork sign a new deal to sit on the bench if he wants regular first team football?

If Cork is considered to be behind Wanyama for the role sat in front of the centre backs, why would Cork sign a new deal to sit on the bench if he wants regular first team football?

I think he played alongside VW for a number of games last season, as well as in place of him.

From our angle, do you think VW will want to stay another season, or do you think he'll be pleading the 'project has changed' next May and looking to move?

We should be doing everthing possible to retain an important and versatile, not to mention reliable member of the squad.

Saints are playing a system with three central midfielders and Saints have seven first team central midfielders, Cork is 25 years old, isn't first choice and has only one year left on his deal. Although he is a good player its understandable why both the club would sell him and he'd want to leave.

He is not a "great player" and palace will not finish above us. If we are going to have a pathway to the first team for players like HR and JWP we can't have average mid/bottom premiership players standing in their way. I'm happy with the midfield we have without him, he's not as good as people make out . Playing for palace is about his level, we have a far better midfield than that.

Thank you and thank you, agreed.

I think he played alongside VW for a number of games last season, as well as in place of him.

From our angle, do you think VW will want to stay another season, or do you think he'll be pleading the 'project has changed' next May and looking to move?

The system we use is one central midfielder in front of the centre backs and then two other central midfielders further advanced. We have 7 central midfielders, and Cork isn't in the starting 3, he is one of the remaining 4. If he has aspirations of regular first team football he isn't going to get it at Saints next season.

This. Feeling the team to be fielded in the coming season is going to be seriously struggling. Cannot expect so many new faces to form an effective team quickly enough.

The team turning out in Southampton colours is not going to look anything like the Saints. Continuity has been one of the factors welding the club and its fans together but the team that will be on the pitch against Liverpool will be unrecognisable. I'm hearing quite a few people I know, who would normally go to most home games, saying they aren't going to bother. Whether that is true will be shown one way or the other by the gates at the first few home games.

From the replies, it's clear the club's propaganda machine is operating on here trying to convince us it's good to get rid of Cork. Can't wait to see what they have to say when we come to realise what fools we are to let him go.

From the replies, it's clear the club's propaganda machine is operating on here trying to convince us it's good to get rid of Cork. Can't wait to see what they have to say when we come to realise what fools we are to let him go.

As opposed to the NC/MP propaganda machine which has never slowed down

If cork isn't starting and wants a starting berth why keep him here when he can go for nothing next summer

If we are letting Cork go, then what the hell was the point in getting Taider on loan?

I presume he is prefered to cork ? Last year Poch liked 2 defensive midfielders in a 4231. I imagine this year Koeman will employ 1 DM infront of the back four with two central midfielders that can support, thats probably not Corks best position.

Realistically alarm bells for me rang as soon as Taider came in, there was always going to be movement and out of morgan or cork then the right man is probably going.

That said cork can play CM, RB or CB and so we are losing much versatility here.

Its a shame to see him go

If Cork goes, here is what remains of our 2011-12 squad that won promotion to the Premier League.

(any player who made at least one appearance, even as a sub, is included)

Bu9DlEgCEAAREwJ.png:large

Excellent!

Adkins talked about evolution, Pochettino provided motivation, and now we have Ronald's revolution. Exciting times.

With Davis now playing more centrally I would assume that RK things that Cork is surplus to requirements. Last year of his contract, 3m is good business.

Central Midfielders left at the club:

Wanyama

Davis

Schneiderlin (TBC)

Taider

JWP

Reed

Enough for a 3 man midfield for a team only playing domestic competitions.

If this happens, and lets face facts it probably will, this will be the latest in an ever-lengthening list of wrong turns made by the club, not so much the fact we're selling him but the fact that we have got to a position where we have no choice but to.

I'm afraid that something is so clearly wrong at the heart of the club that refusing to believe it is no more than pure blind faith which I can no longer share. As well as the 6 that have already gone, Morgan, Cork and Boruc seem desperate to get out of the club, Jay Rod is not signing the contract extension that we so publicly offered him and I suspect that Fonte would have also left had we not offered him the captaincy and possibly assured him of first team football this season.

The fact that we are being tipped as dark horses for the drop by some pundits, despite the fact we finished 23 points off relegation in May, is in itself an utterly damning verdict on the club's performance over the summer, and no amount of blindly throwing money at mediocre strikers will help them crawl out of it. The only positive I can draw is RoKo himself, who has played a bit of a blinder so far in an impossibly difficult situation.

Oh, and for anyone to belittle Cork's abilities and believe that we no longer need him because we think our new loan player is better based on 45 minutes in a friendly makes me pretty annoyed to say the least. Lest we forget, he was considered good enough last year to receive the presidential pick award from Terry Paine at the awards dinner 3 months ago (which is still on YouTube by the way. If anyone was thinking of looking it up, please don't - it's too painful for words).

Difficulty we have, as always, is the limited information available.

IF Schneiderlin and Wanyama stay then Cork is not a first 11 player when they are fit and in form. He is decent player but not as good, and we perform best with them playing.

IF Reid and JWP are going to be as good as many think then 1) they will soon push Cork further down the pecking order, and 2) we shouldn't block their progression unless with excellent players (Cork isn't).

IF Taider is as good as Koeman says, and reports on here after friendly, then Cork will be pushed further down.

IF he is stalling on a contract then we should cash in now.

He cannot perform further forward as Davis, JWP or Ramirez can. He seems to be back up for Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Taider - a role that maybe Harrison Reid is ready to perform better?

I think he is a very good player, but his reading of the game and positioning is below Wanyama and Morgan and often is reason why he needs to make his tackles. I have always thought he was over-rated here, as much as steve Davis is under rated.

Good back up/ squad player but unless players depart or unlucky with injuries don't think him leaving would effect our season.

The problem is that out of all of our central midfielders Cork and Morgan are easily the best of them - and for whatever reason they both seem to be leaving us this summer.

Ward-Prowse, Reed and Davis are all too lightweight and more box-to-box midfielders. That leaves Taider and we've no idea what he's really like - and he was really just a make weight in the Osvaldo deal.

That leaves us with only one defensive midfielder in Wanyama - who is no great passer of the ball that's for sure. So what happens if we need to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with two defensive midfielders.

Without Cork or Morgan there is no one to drop deep bad pick up the ball from the keeper - and supposedly distribution of the ball is not Forsters strong point.

On Saturday we were pretty awful with our starting 11 - we only started to pass the ball well once Cork came on - along with Ramirez and Taider.

The two key elements of the way we played - the building from the back and the pressing of the opposition seem to have disappeared from our game.

So at the moment are squad for Saturday - taking in to account the supposed transfers of Cork, Gardos and Long as well as Boruc and Morgans unhappiness and Rodriguez injury - looks like this:

Gazzinaga

Davis

Forster

McCarthy Stephens Hooiveld Targett

Clyne Fonte Yoshida Bertrand

Gardos

Wanyama

Ward-Prowse Reed

Davis Taider

Isgrove McQueen

Long Tadic

Ramirez

Gallagher

Pelle

So no proven premier league goallscorer and very little depth. And Reed, Ward-Prowse, Targett, Isgrove, McQueen, McCarthy and Gallagher are all probably a little too young to rely on week in week out.

And to be honest I'm not really sure where Long and Ramirez fit in to a 4-3-3.

And only 3 maybe 4 starters fom our first 11 last season in Fonte Clyne, Wanyama and Davis - and you could argue that Chambers and Cork were preferred over Clyne and Wanyama at times.

Lovren, Lallana, Morgan, Cork, Rodriguez and Lambert were key to the way we played last season so things are going to have to change. In effect we've lost the spine of our team.

On top of that Selling Cork and Chambers makes no sense to me when we desperately need their versitality.

I thought we were supposed to be selling these want away players to bring in some more depth to the squad - so far we haven't actually added anyone in terms of depth and the reality is the squad looks a lot weaker.

Koeman and Les Reed need to earn our trust - and faith - by actions - they shouldn't just be given it. And right now they've got an awful lot to do to earn it. Actions speak louder than words.

Against Bounemouth and Bayer Leverkusen we looked pretty awful - very one dimensional and vert static. There was no interchanging of position, no building from the back, no pressing of the ball - just a very basic tactic of get it wide and cross the ball to Pelle or play it long to him. And get it forwards as quickly as possible.

Pelle looked very static - lacking pace and movement. I was expecting him to work the back 4 and make space for others to attack but he just didn't.

And I've seen no real evidence of Les' fantastic scouting network apart from perhaps Taider and Gardos. But if Long for £12.5 million is the best they can come up with we're better off without them. Pelle and Tadic were definitely Koemans signings but I doubt he's ever seen Long play.

I am hoping for the best - that things will click on the big day cone Sunday - but fearing the worst.

This is the sad truth. He was only used as cover for much of last season, and 'luckily' for him, both VW and MS needed covering at various times.

What!? If you would, please say that again, nearer to this boutonniere on my smoking jacket.

Yes, yes. Did you get that Kat? Our cover may be blown!

This is the sad truth. He was only used as cover for much of last season, and 'luckily' for him, both VW and MS needed covering at various times.

all central midfielders will need cover at times during the season. Selling Cork is madness.

IMO him and Morgan (with head on) have been our best and most stabile combination when playing together.

hope this rumour is b0ll****.

If Cork goes, here is what remains of our 2011-12 squad that won promotion to the Premier League.

(any player who made at least one appearance, even as a sub, is included)

Bu9DlEgCEAAREwJ.png:large

So what? You want us to have a Championship level squad with the likes of Danny Seaborne?

Drunk as a skunk.

With Davis now playing more centrally I would assume that RK things that Cork is surplus to requirements. Last year of his contract, 3m is good business.

Central Midfielders left at the club:

Wanyama

Davis

Schneiderlin (TBC)

Taider

JWP

Reed

Enough for a 3 man midfield for a team only playing domestic competitions.

And if Ron plays Gaston in the same roll he did in the Bournemouth game he can be added to the list.

I've said before that I like Jack, but the club is about creating a pathway for the young players not filling the bench. Jack isn't going to start. And at his age and experience he needs to be.

I wish him well, and am grateful for his contribution and professionalism, but it was sell him now for a fee, or let him wind down the final year. The future is JWP and HR.

Thanks Jack.