Jack Cork Rumours

toe_punt

My son told me this morning that Twitter said there's to be no new contract for Cork.

Can anyone confirm? (I don't do twitter)

Twitter isn't a person. It can range from Cork himself, to his agent, his dad, a well informed journalist, an ill-informed journalist, to a random person anywhere in the world. Simply saying "twitter said" is meaningless unless you say who on twitter said it.

Twitter isn't a person. It can range from Cork himself, to his agent, his dad, a well informed journalist, an ill-informed journalist, to a random person anywhere in the world. Simply saying "twitter said" is meaningless unless you say who on twitter said it.

Quite right Matthew, all of us a re complete cretins aren't we?

Just maybe those in the club think he is not good enough?

Right now I reckon he'd be behind Morgan, Vic, Taider, Jwp and possibly Reed for that CM spot.

It's strange, why wouldn't they think he's good enough? He's easily good enough for us, easily good enough for a starting birth in half of the PL teams.

Find it truly odd why he's not seemingly rated by coaches a like.

Just maybe those in the club think he is not good enough?

Right now I reckon he'd be behind Morgan, Vic, Taider, Jwp and possibly Reed for that CM spot.

Agreed, and it's disappointing in a way because Cork is such a likeable player with high work ethic. He helped Southampton up to the PL and has shown utter professionalism throughout his time here meaning it's a shame to see him be surpassed by others. But that's life in the Premier League.

In my opinion, the club might be playing it well here. Offer him the incentive of a new contract, see if he performs and pushes into the first team between now and January, and if he doesn't sell him.

Edit: I mean, the club might even be playing him off against Taider for a permanent spot come January.

Edited by ratio_decidendi

It's strange, why wouldn't they think he's good enough? He's easily good enough for us, easily good enough for a starting birth in half of the PL teams.

Find it truly odd why he's not seemingly rated by coaches a like.

Because we....I mean they know more about the game than the random fans on a board like this??

He's a squad player in our midfield.. least of our worries in terms of squad depth

He seems a far better prospect than Taider though. I like Cork, strange decision if he's not being given a new contract. Krueger is probably saving his contract announcement up for a good news story that will end up with Jay Rod saying his mind is not in the right place...

He seems a far better prospect than Taider though. I like Cork, strange decision if he's not being given a new contract. Krueger is probably saving his contract announcement up for a good news story that will end up with Jay Rod saying his mind is not in the right place...

As per my last post, I wouldn't be surprised if Koeman is weighing Cork up against Taider over the next few months. Whoever comes out on top will earn a full time contract should they want to stay.

I really don't know why Poch didn't seem to rate him, and now, if it is true that he has not been offered a new contract, it would appear that particular view is still held by those in power at the club (Les?)

Odd because every Saints fan I know think he is a great player. What is it the management of the club see, that we the fans don't?

I wonder if he doesn't perform well in training, or is not great at following a manager's instructions?

My son told me this morning that Twitter said there's to be no new contract for Cork.

Can anyone confirm? (I don't do twitter)

Based on your vague comment above it seems that a number of people have now assumed it is correct !

Given that Fonte has signed a new contract, others are assuming that Cork will not be offered/or agree to one as it hasn't yet been announced !

FFS, there are so many assumptions and very few concrete facts !

I know that this is a forum but the jump from speculation to fact seems a very short little skip :mcinnes:

I really don't know why Poch didn't seem to rate him, and now, if it is true that he has not been offered a new contract, it would appear that particular view is still held by those in power at the club (Les?)

Odd because every Saints fan I know think he is a great player. What is it the management of the club see, that we the fans don't?

I wonder if he doesn't perform well in training, or is not great at following a manager's instructions?

Thats what separates us as "armchair managers" to those that actually work at this level.

Saying that he did win the Terry Paine award at the end of season bash,with him saying this

“It’s important that within this squad there’s a player maybe that doesn’t always start, gives his best, has good technical skills, you can see what he can give the team, whether he starts on comes on as a substitute. The player for me has made 20 starts and seven as a sub with five cup games as well. My Presidential pick of this season, is Jack Cork.”

I have high hopes for Taider if he has been brought in to replace Cork

Whilst Jack is one of those players who wears his heart on his sleeve, and therefore gets fans support, his all action play flatters to deceive. He cannot score, which should be a fundamental part of the game of a player in his position, and he does not control a match. In fact, his all action style probably is his downfall, as he lacks the steadying control of Morgan or Wanyama. If he could add half a dozen goals a season to his locked, it would increase his reputation no end.

Here are Cork and Wanyama's statistical profiles - compare and contrast.

Wanyama: http://www.whoscored.com/Players/71714/

Cork: http://www.whoscored.com/Players/22847/

Take note of the defensive comparisons. I think Big Vic comes out trumps here. More interceptions, more tackles and more clearances. They're about the same offensively, but Cork is a slightly more accurate passer. I think Wanyama is more than marginally better overall for the past season. In my opinion he has more potential considering his age so is also a more valuable player.

Months ago I remember thinking that Cork was the better player, but I'm not sure the facts really back that up.

Cork is he subject of a £5 million bid from Swansea. Les Reed is perplexed as he now realises it is stick or twist time and Cork is unlikely to re-sign in this febrile environment so Reed will have to deal. Koeman just wants his own people and doesn't rate the leaden footed Wanyama which is a little unfortunate given Corks imminent departure and Morgans posture. First real test tomorrow. Band of brothers no more.... .... All the cards up in the air -lets see how they fall.

His old man's time would be better spent helping his son with his shooting practice.

there's a good point here.

Ronald Koeman (apparantly) holds some sort of a record for international goals scored by a defender...the mere fact that Jack hasn't scored once in his tenure probably counts as a black mark to start with.

(even Jos' own goal tally is outnumbered (just) by the goals he has scored for us ).

there's a good point here.

Ronald Koeman (apparantly) holds some sort of a record for international goals scored by a defender...the mere fact that Jack hasn't scored once in his tenure probably counts as a black mark to start with..

I assume you're joking

Cork is he subject of a £5 million bid from Swansea. Les Reed is perplexed as he now realises it is stick or twist time and Cork is unlikely to re-sign in this febrile environment so Reed will have to deal. Koeman just wants his own people and doesn't rate the leaden footed Wanyama which is a little unfortunate given Corks imminent departure and Morgans posture. First real test tomorrow. Band of brothers no more.... .... All the cards up in the air -lets see how they fall.

Than you for that undoubtedly well-informed and insightful post. The fact that there is absolutely no evidence for any of it won't stop it from becoming accepted fact a few posts down. Honestly, this place sometimes...

Can see Cork going. We wouldnt have signed Tadier if not to play faif often and JWP and Reed also need game time. Cork is the kind of player that tends to become more appreciated as the season goes on, and is probably better in games than training.

But if we get a good offer and he gets a chance to start regularly then I could see him going for it.

If we wanted to offer him another contract then we have had plenty of time to do so...

I don't see how people don't get that maybe the manager's don't rate him. MP doesn't, and it seems RK doesn't. Plus, we don't know what he's asking for, he may be asking for tons of money, first team football guarantees etc.

But he´s english, and he runs around a lot....and he applauds the fans after games...!!

Than you for that undoubtedly well-informed and insightful post. The fact that there is absolutely no evidence for any of it won't stop it from becoming accepted fact a few posts down. Honestly, this place sometimes...

it's clearly true. wanyama hasn't played once this pre-season ;)