Jack Cork Rumours

toe_punt

I assume you're joking

.....not about RK's goal-scoring record I'm not....he (apparantly) scored 193 goals in 533 career matches ..a world record for a defender.

(He might be expecting to see his midfielders and defenders hitting the target a bit more often...).

Edited by david in sweden

But he´s english, and he runs around a lot....and he applauds the fans after games...!!

It pays to have a few players that run around a bit. It's not as though he's a headless chicken.

Never noticed him applauding the fans to be honest. I think fans like him because he works his socks off for the team and that has paid dividends over the last few seasons when he has the right players along side of him.

I suspect be wants a big old wage though...

It pays to have a few players that run around a bit. It's not as though he's a headless chicken.

Never noticed him applauding the fans to be honest. I think fans like him because he works his socks off for the team and that has paid dividends over the last few seasons when he has the right players along side of him.

I suspect be wants a big old wage though...

I thought he did well when he came on yesterday two good interceptions, some good tackles and a great defence splitting pass that a striker more proficient than Mayuka would have made a lot more of. Cork is a great player to have n the team hope he signs a new contract and stays myself.

Somebody whose son met Jack at the Leverkusen game asked about signing a new contract and the response was that he will sign one when its offered!

It's looking more and more like he'll be off, isn't it? Koeman's played with one holding midfielder so far, and between Schneiderlin, Wanyama and Cork one of them's not going to be happy. I'd hate to see Cork go but if that's how we're playing I'd rather lose him than Wanyama or Schneiderlin.

Though I suppose the plan may be to play Morgan in one of the more advanced positions played by Ward-Prowse/Davis/Taider yesterday. Who knows?

It's looking more and more like he'll be off, isn't it? Koeman's played with one holding midfielder so far, and between Schneiderlin, Wanyama and Cork one of them's not going to be happy. I'd hate to see Cork go but if that's how we're playing I'd rather lose him than Wanyama or Schneiderlin.

Though I suppose the plan may be to play Morgan in one of the more advanced positions played by Ward-Prowse/Davis/Taider yesterday. Who knows?

What happens if Morgan goes and Wanyama gets injured? Cork is effectively our only one real DM. Taider can put his foot in but isn't a holding player in the same ilk.

What happens if Morgan goes and Wanyama gets injured? Cork is effectively our only one real DM. Taider can put his foot in but isn't a holding player in the same ilk.

I think it's safe to say they wouldn't dream of selling Cork if Morgan goes. Injuries will always be a problem when they crop up but we'd struggle to please three players of their class if they're competing for a single spot. If we end up with those three unavailable for whatever reason(s), Davis and Ward-Prowse have done a job in holding roles before and Gardos is supposed to be capable there as well.

Went to the game yesterday and afterwards done the obligatory waiting for players to sign my boys autograph book and pics which they were all accommodating to do so. Jack came out at the end with Bertrand, so I asked JC when are you going to sign a new contract, his replicas simple,"they haven't offered me one to sign". This in my view is madness, get him signed up he loves the saints and one of our most versatile players to boot!!!!!!

I thought he did well when he came on yesterday two good interceptions, some good tackles and a great defence splitting pass that a striker more proficient than Mayuka would have made a lot more of. Cork is a great player to have n the team hope he signs a new contract and stays myself.

Agree totally. Cork and Davis are the workaholics in our team, the unsung heroes.

Went to the game yesterday and afterwards done the obligatory waiting for players to sign my boys autograph book and pics which they were all accommodating to do so. Jack came out at the end with Bertrand, so I asked JC when are you going to sign a new contract, his replicas simple,"they haven't offered me one to sign". This in my view is madness, get him signed up he loves the saints and one of our most versatile players to boot!!!!!!

See I've dealt with a lot of the stuff that has gone on this summer because I think it's been out of the boards hands, to an extent, due to the players wanting away. Not offering Jack a new contract would, to me, go down as a massive f uck up. He is quality and it seems wants to actually be here I can see no reason not to offer him a new contract. Even if for some reason the club really don't want him giving him a contract would make him worth a sell on free rather than just letting him go on a free.

Edited by doddisalegend

Just raising a point here, but perhaps one of the reasons the board haven't offered Cork a new contract is because they want him to earn it. Incentivise his play with a potential new contract and, if he doesn't perform to the standard required, let him go on a free because he clearly isn't good enough.

Yes, I get he's a work horse (I'm not sure there isn't one member on here who hasn't described him as an unsung hero) but successive managers have consistently used him as a fringe player. I like him and I hope he improves, but certainly not in place of a better player who can bring more to the team.

He hasn't been a fringe player at all. He was first choice under Adkins, lost his place early last season but held it through and after Wanyama's injury. I'd say he was the closest player to the first XI who wasn't an automatic selection, while the fringe included players like Yoshida, Hooiveld and Guly.

You might be right about being offered the contract as a carrot, but one also suspects he'd have been told if that was the case.

Edited by DuncanRG

Just raising a point here, but perhaps one of the reasons the board haven't offered Cork a new contract is because they want him to earn it. Incentivise his play with a potential new contract and, if he doesn't perform to the standard required, let him go on a free because he clearly isn't good enough.

He earned it last season, proving to everyone including the manager that he was good enough to play. Mopo treated him like **** at the start of the season, but as far as I know he kept his head down and when given his chance he was ready (after one rusty half a game) and shined.

Maybe there are better players out there that can offer his unbelievable work-rate AND the outstanding ball skills needed to take us forward. But I don't see them queuing round the block to come here.

The only thing I would say is if his agent has asked for a wage fitting of a player that can offer both those elements, then I can understand the club not rushing forward with a new deal.

If RK wants him to stay then I'm sure he'll be offered a new contract. He's obviously decided that Jose is in his plans , perhaps he hasn't made his mind up about cork yet. Maybe he feels that he'll do for one year and then move him on , maybe he wants longer to judge him.

Cork is into his last year now so the club should either stick or twist i.e. either offer him a new contract on sensible terms now or sell him. Letting his contract run down to zero at the end of this season makes no financial sense when the club can get £5 million for him now.

Whilst Jack is one of those players who wears his heart on his sleeve, and therefore gets fans support, his all action play flatters to deceive. He cannot score, which should be a fundamental part of the game of a player in his position, and he does not control a match. In fact, his all action style probably is his downfall, as he lacks the steadying control of Morgan or Wanyama. If he could add half a dozen goals a season to his locked, it would increase his reputation no end.

Well, THAT'S a load of gash for a start.

.....not about RK's goal-scoring record I'm not....he (apparantly) scored 193 goals in 533 career matches ..a world record for a defender.

(He might be expecting to see his midfielders and defenders hitting the target a bit more often...).

I suspect that as he doesn't select a team with a roaming sweeper/libero in it he probably doesn't expect his central defenders to be heading off up the pitch. And I shouldn't think he imagines that any of our centre backs can take a 35 yard free kick like he could either.

In fact I doubt he has any expectations about our players based on his own abilities.

Yes, I get he's a work horse (I'm not sure there isn't one member on here who hasn't described him as an unsung hero) but successive managers have consistently used him as a fringe player. I like him and I hope he improves, but certainly not in place of a better player who can bring more to the team.

Tbf only Pochettino didn't pick him, and even that changed once Wanyama got injured and he got a run in the side. I expect we're just waiting to see if he's worth retaining given that we have a glut of central midfielders at the moment.

What I don't expect, is us to sell him (or anyone else for the rest of the Transfer Window), mainly due to the impact on Schneiderlin's situation.

Its certainly a strange one - As already mentioned, even if he is surplus to requirements, stick him on a contract and then sell him - There's five million pounds of player there, every day of the week.

Koeman will have watched some old games he's played in, but will of course spoken to Reed about which players he rates etc - Maybe Reed doesn't rate Cork?

My only other thought is whether this could be anything to do with FFP rules or whether Cork's contract has increased through bonuses to an over inflated level.

Just had a text that says we've given Palace permission to talk to Jack Cork. Has anybody else heard this or am I being wound up? I can't find anything on the web other than Sky reporting that Palace are told hold talks with an unnamed midfielder from a rival premiership team.

The palace chairman was on SSN (or their new thingy) earlier saying they have just gone into talks about a prem midfielder that would be an bit of a coup if it comes off

Hmmm

The palace chairman was on SSN (or their new thingy) earlier saying they have just gone into talks about a prem midfielder that would be an bit of a coup if it comes off

Hmmm

I saw that and instantly thought of Cork...before I had even seen this thread.

Just had a text that says we've given Palace permission to talk to Jack Cork. Has anybody else heard this or am I being wound up? I can't find anything on the web other than Sky reporting that Palace are told hold talks with an unnamed midfielder from a rival premiership team.

Hmmm

If only we had people on here who could take a Sky Sports News piece of speculation and turn it into a "just had a text" post to make them appear to be ITK....

That would be Zaha I assume.....but in relation to Cork, makes no sense to not offer him a new contract yet pay stupid money for the dross that is Shane Long

No, he was asked if it was zaha and he said no. As no talks about him have taken place as LVG has no decided if to use him this season or not. And if he became available, it would be TP to decide if he wants him

Right, Gardos off, Long in for stupid money and flogging Cork for peanuts, I'm all for going back to being dark and depressed... Who's joining me?

I'm still waiting for these rush of exciting signings to make us stronger that last season by September One. Just hasn't happened yet...

Wouldnt suprise me. I have him down as being behind Davis, Wanyama, Ward-Prowse and Taider in the midfield stakes as fsr as Koeman sees it. Thats without Morgan entering the debate and without Reed who is seen as a great prospect.

We arent offering Cork a new deal so by that logic might as well sell rather than lose him for free next year.

Wouldnt suprise me. I have him down as being behind Davis, Wanyama, Ward-Prowse and Taider in the midfield stakes as fsr as Koeman sees it. Thats without Morgan entering the debate and without Reed who is seen as a great prospect.

We arent offering Cork a new deal so by that logic might as well sell rather than lose him for free next year.

Yep exactly. The writing was on the wall when we brought in Taider.