Jack Cork Rumours

toe_punt

If Wanyama gets injured like last year then we have a powder puff, tippy tappy central midfield where nobody puts a foot in.

If we lose Cork then we 100% have to retain Schneiderlin. Or else they have actually gone mad. And we all know Morgan is going...

Morgan won't go until at least January.

If Wanyama gets injured like last year then we have a powder puff, tippy tappy central midfield where nobody puts a foot in.

If we lose Cork then we 100% have to retain Schneiderlin. Or else they have actually gone mad. And we all know Morgan is going...

Taider is no tippy tappy midfielder...

Who would you pick in midfield playing a 4-1-2-3? Would you start Cork over Wanyama or Schneiderlin?

Cork's massively better on ball than wanyama. Some games suits one some the other. With Morgan guaranteed to go if not this window then next, the issue becomes academic. Now we are likely going to go from being extremely strong in middle to much weaker.

It's madness, let's be honest.

After the total upheaval we've had, you at least try to keep the valuable members you had from last year. Some sort of continuity, just a bit. We're going to be a team of strangers.

This smacks of Fitz Hall all over again.

Just had a text that says we've given Palace permission to talk to Jack Cork. Has anybody else heard this or am I being wound up? I can't find anything on the web other than Sky reporting that Palace are told hold talks with an unnamed midfielder from a rival premiership team.

It seems your texter was on the money.

It's madness, let's be honest.

After the total upheaval we've had, you at least try to keep the valuable members you had from last year. Some sort of continuity, just a bit. We're going to be a team of strangers.

This smacks of Fitz Hall all over again.

Agreed, utterly crazy. Think I'll be changing my prediction on how close saints will be to relegation zone if it occurs.

Disappointed with that. There goes our RB cover as well.

He is and was an abysmal right back and should never, ever be played there. He was dire every time he tried it for Saints (and also for England U21s at St Mary's).

I wouldn't sell him though.

Cork's massively better on ball than wanyama. Some games suits one some the other. With Morgan guaranteed to go if not this window then next, the issue becomes academic. Now we are likely going to go from being extremely strong in middle to much weaker.

No idea where you're getting this guaranteed departure from. I really don't think we'd let Cork go if there was any doubt about Schneiderlin - if he was a risk or we were planning a sale we'd forgo the £3m and let Cork's contract run down.

I think the positive here is that Koeman's not afraid to build the team he wants. With a well-funded rebuilding job like this it's no use at all to base formations too closely around the players you already have. One holding midfielder is what Koeman wants, and, good as Cork is, the third choice for that spot isn't in a strong position to negotiate a new contract.

Edited by DuncanRG

Seemed to remember him getting MOM v Arsenal as a right back on a sky game. .

Having looked at the recent Prem matches v Arsenal and the line ups, I assume you're referring to the 1-1 draw at St Mary's on New Year's Day. Seems strange that a "Man of the Match" would only be mentioned in a match report for a potential handball to concede a penalty:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/01/southampton-arsenal-premier-league-match-report

No idea where you're getting this guaranteed departure from. I really don't think we'd let Cork go if there was any doubt about Schneiderlin - if he was a risk or we were planning a sale we'd forgo the £3m and let Cork's contract run down.

I think the positive here is that Koeman's not afraid to build the team he wants. With a well-funded rebuilding job like this it's no use at all to base formations too closely around the players you already have. One holding midfielder is what Koeman wants, and, good as Cork is, the third choice for that spot isn't in a strong position to negotiate a new contract.

Anyone who thinks Morgan has any long-term future at saints is deluded.

Cork has shown he is versatile enough to play further up in the midfield.

Shameful action if saints flog him for peanuts.

Anyone who thinks Morgan has any long-term future at saints is deluded.

Cork has shown he is versatile enough to play further up in the midfield.

Shameful action if saints flog him for peanuts.

I like Cork as much as anyone but the one thing he couldn't do was play further up in midfield. He's not and never will be an attacking player.

Who would you play in a midfield three with one going deeper?

Poor decision if it happens. We experimented with Cork, Victor and Morgan towards the end of last season and it made us incredibly tough to break down. With the frailties and uncertainties at the back, the combo could come in very handy this season and that's even assuming Morgan stays.

That's what I'd find hard to figure out, Schneiderlin is most likely going, sooner or later, so we could really do with keeping hold of Cork.

This situation further highlights, along with the Boruc/Forster debate, how difficult it is for a club our size to build a squad with genuine quality and ability in depth.

Good players are much more likely to be happy to sign up to the bench of Man U than ours or more importantly would rather have a starting role at somewhere like Palace than be on our bench. I think Taider may be intended as a long term solution in midfield, don't know enough about him to judge yet.

Would be gutted if Cork goes though, top bloke.

I would be very surprised if Schneiderlin and Rodriguez are still at Saints by the end of the transfer window.

So discounting Morgan who is our back-up defensive midfielder after Victor?

Sapher Taider? Is he a defensive midfielder though - I'm not really sure where he plays? box-to-Box? As a number 10? And I have feeling he was only brought in as part of the Osvaldo deal as it was the only way we were going to get rid of him for the season. Is he any good - we don't really know yet.

Harrison Reed? Too young and unproven probably and maybe too small. But again I thought he was more of a box-to-box midfielder.

That's what I'd find hard to figure out, Schneiderlin is most likely going, sooner or later, so we could really do with keeping hold of Cork.

Yup - I don't think we'd dream of letting Cork go if there was a chance of Schneiderlin either leaving or not performing in the immediate future. I can understand why some fans struggle to trust the club on that though.

It might be that we see Taider as more versatile than Cork - a decent attacker who can also deputise as third choice holding midfielder. If that's the intention and it works out then I think it's a smart move.

Gardos is also capable of playing defensive midfield, as I understand it.

I would be very surprised if Schneiderlin and Rodriguez are still at Saints by the end of the transfer window.

Sapher Taider? Is he a defensive midfielder though - I'm not really sure where he plays? box-to-Box? As a number 10? And I have feeling he was only brought in as part of the Osvaldo deal as it was the only way we were going to get rid of him for the season. Is he any good - we don't really know yet.

Harrison Reed? Too young and unproven probably and maybe too small. But again I thought he was more of a box-to-box midfielder.

Is this really a matter?

I do think the club and manager knows something about that.... (and yes he is)

If this happens, and lets face facts it probably will, this will be the latest in an ever-lengthening list of wrong turns made by the club, not so much the fact we're selling him but the fact that we have got to a position where we have no choice but to.

I'm afraid that something is so clearly wrong at the heart of the club that refusing to believe it is no more than pure blind faith which I can no longer share. As well as the 6 that have already gone, Morgan, Cork and Boruc seem desperate to get out of the club, Jay Rod is not signing the contract extension that we so publicly offered him and I suspect that Fonte would have also left had we not offered him the captaincy and possibly assured him of first team football this season.

The fact that we are being tipped as dark horses for the drop by some pundits, despite the fact we finished 23 points off relegation in May, is in itself an utterly damning verdict on the club's performance over the summer, and no amount of blindly throwing money at mediocre strikers will help them crawl out of it. The only positive I can draw is RoKo himself, who has played a bit of a blinder so far in an impossibly difficult situation.

Oh, and for anyone to belittle Cork's abilities and believe that we no longer need him because we think our new loan player is better based on 45 minutes in a friendly makes me pretty annoyed to say the least. Lest we forget, he was considered good enough last year to receive the presidential pick award from Terry Paine at the awards dinner 3 months ago (which is still on YouTube by the way. If anyone was thinking of looking it up, please don't - it's too painful for words).

Yup - I don't think we'd dream of letting Cork go if there was a chance of Schneiderlin either leaving or not performing in the immediate future. I can understand why some fans struggle to trust the club on that though.

It might be that we see Taider as more versatile than Cork - a decent attacker who can also deputise as third choice holding midfielder. If that's the intention and it works out then I think it's a smart move.

Gardos is also capable of playing defensive midfield, as I understand it.

That's not much of a convincing argument though, we really need at least one of MS or Cork as an absolute minimumin the squad, Taider is in no-way an adequate replacement for the pair, regardless of being a decent player.

Admittedly based solely on one friendly - Taider is a very tidy footballer. I was impressed anyway!

I like Cork as much as anyone but the one thing he couldn't do was play further up in midfield. He's not and never will be an attacking player.

Who would you play in a midfield three with one going deeper?

Disagree think as well as being good in holding role, he's got attributes to play further forward and did well when asked to do so in one of games towards end of season. Crazy to remove another key performer from last few seasons especially when Morgan I has made it clear his long-term future isn't with saints.

If this happens, and lets face facts it probably will, this will be the latest in an ever-lengthening list of wrong turns made by the club, not so much the fact we're selling him but the fact that we have got to a position where we have no choice but to.

I'm afraid that something is so clearly wrong at the heart of the club that refusing to believe it is no more than pure blind faith which I can no longer share. As well as the 6 that have already gone, Morgan, Cork and Boruc seem desperate to get out of the club, Jay Rod is not signing the contract extension that we so publicly offered him and I suspect that Fonte would have also left had we not offered him the captaincy and possibly assured him of first team football this season.

The fact that we are being tipped as dark horses for the drop by some pundits, despite the fact we finished 23 points off relegation in May, is in itself an utterly damning verdict on the club's performance over the summer, and no amount of blindly throwing money at mediocre strikers will help them crawl out of it. The only positive I can draw is RoKo himself, who has played a bit of a blinder so far in an impossibly difficult situation.

Oh, and for anyone to belittle Cork's abilities and believe that we no longer need him because we think our new loan player is better based on 45 minutes in a friendly makes me pretty annoyed to say the least. Lest we forget, he was considered good enough last year to receive the presidential pick award from Terry Paine at the awards dinner 3 months ago (which is still on YouTube by the way. If anyone was thinking of looking it up, please don't - it's too painful for words).

Some seriously wild-ass speculation there. Who says Cork and Boruc are desperate to leave? Also if Fonte wanted to leave then there is no way that being offered the captaincy would have made any difference.

Edited by kpturner

That's not much of a convincing argument though, we really need at least one of MS or Cork as an absolute minimumin the squad, Taider is in no-way an adequate replacement for the pair, regardless of being a decent player.

I agree. What I'm saying is that we must be sure Schneiderlin is staying and will play this season. I can't imagine we'd let Cork go otherwise. If that's not the case and we're risking being left with Wanyama then I'll be outraged as everyone else.

Edited by DuncanRG

Got to wonder if the club seriously want to beat the feat of going from 8th to relegation in two seasons, lol.

Saints are playing a system with three central midfielders and Saints have seven first team central midfielders, Cork is 25 years old, isn't first choice and has only one year left on his deal. Although he is a good player its understandable why both the club would sell him and he'd want to leave.

Of course the resident experts know far more than Koeman and Pochettino. Seems neither, for whatever reason, rated Cork. Not sure why not but they are the ones in charge.

This does give Reed the chance to move up the pecking order which is no bad thing

Disgraceful IMO. Plus massively strengthens palace who will no doubt finish above us now. Saints lose a great little player and get no money in return. In bleakest moments didn't think things would get this atrocious.

He is not a "great player" and palace will not finish above us. If we are going to have a pathway to the first team for players like HR and JWP we can't have average mid/bottom premiership players standing in their way. I'm happy with the midfield we have without him, he's not as good as people make out . Playing for palace is about his level, we have a far better midfield than that.