Neutral section

kwsaint

Sadly no away day trip to Fulham this season. I sat in the 'neutrals' section at Craven Cottage last season and to be fair it did seem to work OK. You just accepted that the person sat next to you could be a Fulham supporter, a fellow Saint or a genuine neutral. Going to take a Sunderland supporting friend to the game at SMS in October, and he will sit quietly in the Chapel (insert your own jokes here). But sitting in a neutrals section would make it easier all round.

So would a neutrals section at SMS work?

Your thoughts

An area where people could sit with mates who support the away team could work, if the people in there knew the deal and accepted there could be a bloke sat next to them in a Liverpool shirt, cheering when they scored. It would be more of a 'mixed' area than a neutral area.

However, since the ground is usually almost full I can't see a lot of point to it.

An area where people could sit with mates who support the away team could work, if the people in there knew the deal and accepted there could be a bloke sat next to them in a Liverpool shirt, cheering when they scored. It would be more of a 'mixed' area than a neutral area.

However, since the ground is usually almost full I can't see a lot of point to it.

Used to have an away section in the Milton.

Just taped off

Pretty sure it formed one of the central planks of the forum intellegensia's "build-it-now" Manifesto back in the day.

Help fill our 50,000 megadome with day trippers from all over the south west desperate to sample some red hot live Premier League action, with the likes of Saints vs Swansea in October being just the ticket. A master plan, no doubt.

Not, of course, that anyone will ever admit to saying such a thing these days.

Pretty sure it formed one of the central planks of the forum intellegensia's "build-it-now" Manifesto back in the day.

Help fill our 50,000 megadome with day trippers from all over the south west desperate to sample some red hot live Premier League action, with the likes of Saints vs Swansea in October being just the ticket. A master plan, no doubt.

Not, of course, that anyone will ever admit to saying such a thing these days.

No one ever said that.

In the Milton??? Not saying you are wrong, but that's news to me - Archers yes, but he Milton?

How long ago are you talking

Yep. As you walked down from the back. It was in the bottom right had corner next to the east stand/wing

Only there for the glory clubs. (Which was only united and Liverpool then) But it was.

Remember being stood there next to them in 1992 when man united won their first game (which was their famous title winning year) with a winner from dion Dublin

Just a bit of red and white tape with a couple of stewards as a barrier. Would not have held many. Maybe 40 or so. But it was there

The kids section was in that corner of the East Stand (lower) next to the away fans. I always hoped that my kids would not understand what they were chanting. I remember some of the bolshy 8 year old giving it large to some Manc fans one year, goodness only knows what they made of it!

The kids section was in that corner of the East Stand (lower) next to the away fans. I always hoped that my kids would not understand what they were chanting. I remember some of the bolshy 8 year old giving it large to some Manc fans one year, goodness only knows what they made of it!

No, the junior Saints section was the opposite end of the stand to the away fans

and the chants and abuse/swearing that came out of that section was probably just as bad as the away fans

Yep. As you walked down from the back. It was in the bottom right had corner next to the east stand/wing

Only there for the glory clubs. (Which was only united and Liverpool then) But it was.

Remember being stood there next to them in 1992 when man united won their first game (which was their famous title winning year) with a winner from dion Dublin

Just a bit of red and white tape with a couple of stewards as a barrier. Would not have held many. Maybe 40 or so. But it was there

It wasn't in place for every big game, every year, just a random handful of fixtures early 90s, utterly, utterly pointless for 40 odd fans.

It wasn't in place for every big game, every year, just a random handful of fixtures early 90s, utterly, utterly pointless for 40 odd fans.

YeAh, probably right. Only ever saw it used against Liverpool and united. But they were the only two glory clubs then

Just seemed an odd thing to do given that football fans liked to get a bit more nawty back then

YeAh, probably right. Only ever saw it used against Liverpool and united. But they were the only two glory clubs then

Just seemed an odd thing to do given that football fans liked to get a bit more nawty back then

My understanding was that "away" fans that had managed to get themselves tickets in the home sections, but were subsequently "outed" by the home fans around them, were taken to this little area for their own safety. I don't think it was ever a official designated away area, where away fans could actully purchase tickets for. Any old stweards from the dell era that could shed any light on this?

Sadly no away day trip to Fulham this season. I sat in the 'neutrals' section at Craven Cottage last season and to be fair it did seem to work OK. You just accepted that the person sat next to you could be a Fulham supporter, a fellow Saint or a genuine neutral. Going to take a Sunderland supporting friend to the game at SMS in October, and he will sit quietly in the Chapel (insert your own jokes here). But sitting in a neutrals section would make it easier all round.

So would a neutrals section at SMS work?

Your thoughts

Worth trying if we're in the Championship, but we sell enough tickets at the moment not to need to resort to gimmicks like this.

I don't have a problem with a "neutrals" section per se, especially somewhere like Fulham where they're reaching to fill the place most of the time, and have a ready-made tourist industry on their doorstep. The neanderthal opinion that people can't support rival teams alongside each other is completely outdated, but there are still enough morons who can't cope with the extremes of emotions at football to necessitate the continuation of segregation.

However, having a section where plastics and football tourists congregate should be seen as a good thing by punchy knuckledraggers, surely?

My understanding was that "away" fans that had managed to get themselves tickets in the home sections, but were subsequently "outed" by the home fans around them, were taken to this little area for their own safety. I don't think it was ever a official designated away area, where away fans could actully purchase tickets for. Any old stweards from the dell era that could shed any light on this?

I only ever remembered there was a policy of hoiking fans out when they were clearly in the wrong end, and there was then a 50/50 chance of getting reallocated in the correct section or put in the street. this was pretty standard across all grounds, but then I have a very small frame of reference (late '91-'94) for standing at the Dell due to my "previous commitments". Somerton Park never saw an away fan in the home end, because they all got marched in from the station anyway, you could always pay on the gate, and there was always plenty of room everywhere.

Edited by The9
Dreadful run-on sentence.

Just taped off

This is true, I also remember one in 1994 during the Arsenal home game (where Ian Wright scored a hat-trick and Craig Maskell missed a sitter) with about 40-50 fans in it taped off. No trouble to speak of as Arsenal were miles better on the day, 0-4 I think it finished.

Back on topic, I don't agree with a Neutrals section as SMS as most games are near-sell outs if not sold out and unlike Fulham who are based in a high wage part of the capital, I can't see the market for a coastal provincial city. As soon as I saw the OP I knew Griffo would be the first poster to respond though ;-)

As well as summing up most that is wrong with modern football (i.e. football tourism), I don't think we need it, for a few reasons;

- We don't sell out against the lesser teams in the league, so it should be fairly easy for a 'tourist' to buy a couple of tickets in the quieter sections

- Against the bigger teams where we do sell out, we'd be depriving genuine Saints of a ticket and allowing the opposition to buy tickets there. (I.e. Man Utd will always sell their allocations, why give them a legitimate chance to get more fans in the ground?)

So no, not appropriate.

Just taped off

Back in the 70s there was an away section in every home end. If it remained that way to the end of each game was largely dependant on the home fans ejecting them themselves.

well quite.

Enjoyed Fulham last year in the neutral section.

Yes, because it was FULL of Saints fans.

How annoyed would you be if for Saints vs Liverpool, the "neutral" section was full of Liverpool fans, therefore with two sections singing YNWA loudly?

It's a rubbish idea. It's fine for US going to other grounds for the very reason that we can take more and Saints always travel very well to places like Fulham (and most London teams).

Yes, because it was FULL of Saints fans.

How annoyed would you be if for Saints vs Liverpool, the "neutral" section was full of Liverpool fans, therefore with two sections singing YNWA loudly?

It's a rubbish idea. It's fine for US going to other grounds for the very reason that we can take more and Saints always travel very well to places like Fulham (and most London teams).

no, we had Fulham fans right next to us. And there were plenty of others.

I had a good time, and everybody else seemed to.

Except the Fulham fan near us who walked out at 3-0.

better idea, lets keep segregation, stop people from coming in to fill empty seats who want to pay good money to watch, and keep it nice and tribal.

I have no issues with Liverpool fans.

no, we had Fulham fans right next to us. And there were plenty of others.

I had a good time, and everybody else seemed to.

Except the Fulham fan near us who walked out at 3-0.

better idea, lets keep segregation, stop people from coming in to fill empty seats who want to pay good money to watch, and keep it nice and tribal.

I have no issues with Liverpool fans.

:mcinnes:

Totally mickey mouse idea that i hope never happens, the Fulham away game showed it was just an excuse for the away fans to turn up and take the ****. Would make us look even more small time and embarrassing than Reading or Wigan.

:mcinnes:

Actually, it isn't necessarily that easy to buy a "tourist ticket", as games where the away team sell out go to database only.

Great response anyway.

Frankly I got pig sick of stupid violent unpleasant behaviour at football matches over two decades.

I was at the Stadio Communale for England v Belgium in 1980 in the thick of the tear gas, for instance, and anything that makes football less tribal, antagonistic, and dangerous is fine by me. Neutral zones just might help.

That is my experience and opinion.

Facepalm away if you must.

..and would make us a laughing stock.

In your opinion, which isn't one everybody shares. I don't get exactly what a laughing stock is personally. Will I get random Villa, Port Vale and Middlesboro fans phoning me up in the evening and laughing because there is a mixed section at St Marys?

Football is the only sport I know of where different supporters are segregated from each other, it doesn't make all the other sports a laughing stock. If you don't want to sit in a 'neutral section' then don't (not that there is going to be one), I fail to see the issue.

I was at the Stadio Communale for England v Belgium in 1980 in the thick of the tear gas, for instance, and anything that makes football less tribal, antagonistic, and dangerous is fine by me.

You didn't travel to Italy by train with other Saints fans perchance? Have a spot of bother with locals the day after the England v Italy game?

You didn't travel to Italy by train with other Saints fans perchance? Have a spot of bother with locals the day after the England v Italy game?

Hi , LBA.

No, went on my own, got the train from Paris.

I did meet a couple of Saints fans there, can't remember who, or how !! Well I do remember one of them, he was a bit..er..strange...or seemed so to me !

The Belgium game was so horrendous on the terraces, that for the one and only time I gave up on the football, and the much anticipated Italy game, and took an overnight train the next day to Hamburg, and interrailed for a while.

Can't say I regret it either. reports were going round that an English fan had been shot the night before the Belgium game, and that one was unconscious after falling from the top tier during the game.

Funny thing is, given the conversation we are having, the end we were in was sort of neutral, plenty of Italians along with the English, and just next to the few Belgians.

make of that what you will folks!!

(Anybody know where there is footage of that day online?)