League Cup 4th Round Draw - Stoke (Away)

ozzmeister

Just looked on the stoke forum they're about as happy about the draw as us they're main thought "winnable"

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/235109/draw?page=2

Is this forum inception...

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?51880-League-Cup-4th-Round-Draw-Stoke-(Away)#.VCMxoYqkrCR

The buzzword surrounding the Saints is 'winnable'

That's the worst possible draw IMO. No chance of going to it, really tough game, they'll be full strength, fixture we have anyway. Damn.

Stoke put out a weakened side against Sunderland in the 3rd round and there are tougher opponents left in the compettion. Man City away for example would be significantly tougher, their line up vs Sheff Weds at home tonight...

• 13 Caballero
  • 03 Sagna
  • 11 Kolarov
  • 20 Mangala Booked
  • 26 Demichelis
  • 25 Fernandinho (Boyata - 70' )
  • 18 Lampard
  • 42 Y Touré (Pozo - 64' )
  • 07 Milner (Sinclair - 73' )
  • 15 Jesús Navas
  • 10 Dzeko

Chelsea vs Bolton...

• 01 Cech
  • 03 Filipe Luis
  • 24 Cahill
  • 28 Azpilicueta
  • 05 Zouma
  • 12 Mikel
  • 08 Oscar
  • 14 Schürrle
  • 17 Salah (Hazard - 80' )
  • 06 Aké (Matic - 91' )
  • 18 Remy (Drogba - 72' )

Liverpool vs Middlesbrough...

• 22 Mignolet
  • 19 Manquillo
  • 04 K Touré
  • 03 Jose Enrique
  • 17 Sakho Booked
  • 50 Markovic (Fernández Saez - 98' )
  • 31 Sterling
  • 46 Rossiter (Williams - 79' )
  • 20 Lallana
  • 21 Lucas
  • 09 Lambert (Balotelli - 74' )

Those are all better teams than any possible side Stoke will put out against us.

Edited by Matthew Le God

That's that then.

Why on earth are you writing us off against Stoke? Bar a Begovic vs Forster debate I wouldn't want any of their players in our starting XI. Stoke fans may make a claim for Shawcross, but he isn't the ball playing centre back Ronald Koeman likes as he does ala Toby Alderweireld/Florin Gardos/Jose Fonte and he'd struggle in our system and style of play.

(I guess this may be quoted on a Stoke forum)

Edited by Matthew Le God

Sh*te draw, long journey, tough game, Stoke seem a half decent side this year.

Stoke may be half decent but Saints are 100% decent. Stoke fans saying they have avoided the 'big boys' can't have noticed that they've been drawn against the team that is second in the Premier League. Biggest problem might be the confusion of both teams playing in red & white stripes......

Not the best draw but certainly not the worst. Our best XI's will be going head to head in the league a few days prior. Then it's a question of which team can condition enough players for the cup and which team has the most depth on the bench.

I'd give us a 65% chance to progress. It's a month away but surely on current form we'd go in favourites?

Half Term / Take family to Alton Towers during the day / game in the evening ... sorted :)

Go and buy a goodfellas pizza - On the back they have two for one entry into Alton towers and 50% off the hotel...I am sure groupon or hot UK deals have other offers as well.

Kind Regards

Martin Lewis :) :)

Crap draw. Not only stoke away but the whole draw in general.

Teams like saints and Stoke needed city, Chelsea, Liverpool to draw each other

Yeah, at this stage you can kind of map out a route and it looks likely that we'll have to play a City or a Chelsea to get to the final. But we beat Arsenal on their own patch, so who knows what could happen here.

I think a result such as the one we had will give belief to everyone, If we're as pumped up as we were on Tuesday, then we'll sort out Stoke - no worries.

August 2012, Man City, the League Champions, playing newly promoted Saints managed to win by the odd goal in 5. Our team was Davis, Clyne, Hooiveld, Fonte, Fox, Schneiderlin, Ward-Prowse (his first team debut), Lallana, Guly, Puncheon and Rodriguez. Five of those players wouldn't get into today's side which is which is certainly stronger now, so we shouldn't be worried if we meet Man City in the League Cup and definitely not fear Stoke. If you play in the Premier League you have to regard every game as winnable which is why Leicester can beat Man U, West Ham can beat Liverpool and Crystal Palace can beat Everton.

Yeah, at this stage you can kind of map out a route and it looks likely that we'll have to play a City or a Chelsea to get to the final. But we beat Arsenal on their own patch, so who knows what could happen here.

I think a result such as the one we had will give belief to everyone, If we're as pumped up as we were on Tuesday, then we'll sort out Stoke - no worries.

Yes, but if you look at the Arsenal line-up we beat and compare it to the line ups Man City and Chelsea put out there is a big, big difference in my opinion.