Saints 2 Leicester 0 - Post Match Reactions

Whitey Grandad

Great result, my ratings.

Forster 7, one kick aside kept focus well on a quiet day

Clyne 6, gave the ball cheaply and caught in possession at times (rare), improved as game went on.

Fonte 8, totally in control, a captains performance again

Toby 9, much like Jose but long passing bang on today and mopped up everything. Best game yet imo

Bertrand 8, defended well and great crossing in the final 3rd. Great signing.

Morgan 7, neat and tidy and dictated once we went a goal up

Vic 8, best cm today tackling immense and passing much improved this season in the main.

Davis 6, mr 7 out of ten looked a little rusty today so gets a 6 for once! Don't know how early hamstring was bothering mind

Tadic 6, looked a little tired today but still a threat and always good feet

Mane 7, did ok today without hitting the heights he is capable, always a threat in behind and thought Tadic should have been the one to make way

Pelle 8, didn't drop for him in front of goal but was the focal point of most of what we did well. Held the ball superbly all day, assist case in point. Superb volleyed pass in the opening minutes.

Long 9 motm, great impact won the game 2 great finishes and delighted for him

Cork 7, steady game kept us moving

Reed na, did what he needed in final minutes

crowd superb.

last 25 minutes were great today.. apart from one moment from Pelle in about the 90th minute.. when he didn't challenge for a header which allowed Leicester to get through for their chance that they shoudl have scored... I know it's the right at the end... but it looked really odd that Pelle didn't go for it... did anyone else see? or know why?

I've been very critical of Long this season, I've often said he's been our weak link but he really made a difference today. Even for that 2nd goal I was screaming at him to square it to Pelle who was onside but he took it on and scored, fair play to him.

Watched it again, and as I thought, Pelle was coming back from an offside position, turned and ran down level with Long, having never gone back onside. If Long had squared it, I suspect the flag would of gone up.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29...eague-hd_sport

last 25 minutes were great today.. apart from one moment from Pelle in about the 90th minute.. when he didn't challenge for a header which allowed Leicester to get through for their chance that they shoudl have scored... I know it's the right at the end... but it looked really odd that Pelle didn't go for it... did anyone else see? or know why?

Because he was offside.

Because he was offside.

Only explanation but it was a poor decision. He should have challenged for it. Either he puts off the opposing player or he wins the ball and concedes a free kick around the halfway line. Either would have been preferable to a goal scoring opportunity for Leicester.

Certainly felt a odd game first half, personally I think the heavy rain had a hand in that as the ball just seemed to zip off the surface when normally certain balls would have been much better behaved in the dry.

i also think there were times when the players were a little over confident by the over playing and trying to pull off showboat passes whilst still 0-0, but that is a minor criticism as Leicester were very disciplined in their task to shut us out which made our fancy touches look worse when they broke down.

i think the defining moment was when we had a series of corners one after the other, we had Leicester on the ropes and just kept the flurry of "punches" raining down on them! as they cleared yet another corner their players were congratulating each other for dealing with the ball but you could see the mental energy the pressure was sucking from them.

Then Ronald replaces our Cheetah with our very own annoying Hornet and bingo! the games up in 4 minutes.

You could see they were done in as the pressure on Fraser from their front 2 trying to cut out the passing out from the back had evaporated.

All in all an excellent patient win.

MOTM: Big Vic in the middle not only his presence but so many deft touches in winkling out the ball when he had no right to.

Clyne 6, gave the ball cheaply and caught in possession at times (rare), improved as game went on.

Toby 9, much like Jose but long passing bang on today and mopped up everything. Best game yet imo

Vic 8, best cm today tackling immense and passing much improved this season in the main.

Davis 6, mr 7 out of ten looked a little rusty today so gets a 6 for once! Don't know how early hamstring was bothering mind

Mane 7, did ok today without hitting the heights he is capable, always a threat in behind and thought Tadic should have been the one to make way

Pelle 8, didn't drop for him in front of goal but was the focal point of most of what we did well. Held the ball superbly all day, assist case in point. Superb volleyed pass in the opening minutes.

crowd superb.

I'd agree with most of that other than giving Clyne 6, that's harsh IMO, both fullbacks had very good games and then your last comment "crowd superb". It really must be about were you sit at St Mary's because from my seat I thought it was as bad as at any time this season. Dead south of the halfway line and hardly stirring stuff from the Northam. Even the constant slow rendition of OWTS is getting a bit tedious.

Our fansjust don't put the opposition under any pressure, where's the roar gone in football grounds these days?

Other than that, good summary and another fantastic result. :p

What a moron.

We really won't. It was all bull**** that pushed the players out last season as they were told saints could compete with top 4

How do you know this? Although I agree it's unlikely we'll finish top four, it really does annoy me when people state their opinion as fact, it's belittling to other posters who believe otherwise.

What a moron.

We really won't. It was all bull**** that pushed the players out last season as they were told saints could compete with top 4

You really do need to brush up on your comprehension of English. Learn the meaning of the word "could" for a start. It implies the possibility of something occurring. As such, unless it is something that has only a miniscule chance fo happening, then it is a reasonable opinion.

As for your assertion that it was being told that we could finish top 4 last year that pushed the players out when it looked as if our ambitions were finished with the departures of Cortese and Pochettino, it wasn't. Those players left because they had a chance of playing for glory teams on substantially more dosh than they were getting from us.

How do you know this? Although I agree it's unlikely we'll finish top four, it really does annoy me when people state their opinion as fact, it's belittling to other posters who believe otherwise.

SONAR

Brett can hear things other people can't.

crowd superb.

I'd agree with most of that other than giving Clyne 6, that's harsh IMO, both fullbacks had very good games and then your last comment "crowd superb". It really must be about were you sit at St Mary's because from my seat I thought it was as bad as at any time this season. Dead south of the halfway line and hardly stirring stuff from the Northam. Even the constant slow rendition of OWTS is getting a bit tedious.

Our fansjust don't put the opposition under any pressure, where's the roar gone in football grounds these days?

Other than that, good summary and another fantastic result. :p

Yep, I'd agree with all of his comments, but Wanyama would be my Man of the Match and the atmosphere just didn't really get going - apart from one occasion in the 2nd half when "Come on you Reds" went round the ground properly - would love it if the whole ground joined in like that more often, especially when we're pushing for a winner down at the Chapel end.

Yep, I'd agree with all of his comments, but Wanyama would be my Man of the Match and the atmosphere just didn't really get going - apart from one occasion in the 2nd half when "Come on you Reds" went round the ground properly - would love it if the whole ground joined in like that more often, especially when we're pushing for a winner down at the Chapel end.

The Chapel actually started singing yesterday, just the once but what it shows to me is that you just need a few brave souls to stand and start the song. Others will follow..........

What a moron.

I like it that you continue to try and score this "point" pretty much once a week. And fail. Give up.

Much more one sided than most have said in their interviews. 65% possession is not how I saw it, much higher. Fantastic performance from Nat Clyne, my MotM by a mile despite Shane's 2 goal wonder appearance. Great to watch and you just knew they'd do it as Leicester faded through fatigue. Leicester are not PL quality regrettably, the gap to the Championship is growing by the year and with the promoted clubs occupying the bottom three slots, maybe any club coming up that doesn't have high finical backing will have no hope of staying up. Maybe we and WHU are the last of the lucky ones.

crowd superb.

What game were you at? Clyne 6? What were you taking before the match?

Thanks for all comments on my ratings.

1st off, let me make it clear I am now an armchair fan, only option living in canada now but I think I have done my time over the years

perception is different when you watch every game live in hd rather than at the stadium with so many different factors. Fans sounded great this week and kept with the team when city's game plan was to turn the crowd.

i am clyne a biggest fan but I rarely see him caught in possession and misplacing passes as I did at times. 6 is not the worst mark and usually has been 8+ this year.

trust me I'd rather be at the ground but I have no choice, there's no comparison. Hopefully next year

Thanks for all comments on my ratings.

1st off, let me make it clear I am now an armchair fan, only option living in canada now but I think I have done my time over the years ��

perception is different when you watch every game live in hd rather than at the stadium with so many different factors. Fans sounded great this week and kept with the team when city's game plan was to turn the crowd.

i am clyne a biggest fan but I rarely see him caught in possession and misplacing passes as I did at times. 6 is not the worst mark and usually has been 8+ this year.

trust me I'd rather be at the ground but I have no choice, there's no comparison. Hopefully next year ��

You are eerily nice for this website. It makes me nervous. :lol:

Shane Long's first goal was a thing of beauty. Superb build-up play, a brilliant lay off from Pelle and a sublime cool finish into the bottom corner. In the heat of a frantic match with Leicester defending for their lives, chances hard to come by and in abysmal weather conditions it was simply stunning.

This!!

crowd superb.

Clyne was superb. Don't know what game you were watching.

Toby MOM for me.

Just reminds me of Bobby Moore , calm does his job with no fuss and goes unnoticed

First game I have seen at home this season (having moved to Hertfordshire) so the first time I have seen Alderweireld play in the stripes.

You are absolutely right, his defending is class but his distribution is amazing - What a great player.

In saying that, I personally would give the MOTM just to Big Vic - He was immense in the midfield.

Great day though, it took us a while to work out how to play through a parked bus but Shane made the difference when he came on with 2 great goals.

Just loving this time.

I was sat in block 30 (first and last time) and it was like an effin' morgue. I didn't expect them to be singing about P*mpey fans on a string but thought they would at least have joined in occasionally with OWTS and "Come on You Reds!"
This is always my point. I wouldn't expect the whole ground to be jumping around up on their feet for the full 90mins, but surely they must feel the inclination to at least get involved a bit?

Clyne was superb. Don't know what game you were watching.

There was one bit in the second half I noticed, but I feel like I must have it wrong. Clyne was foraging forward and took a shot, which Schmeichel saved. Then Schmeichel booted it straight upfield to that pacy bro they had playing on the left. Uh-oh, I thought, they've caught us out here. But we had a defender back, and he shut him down quickly with good one-one-one defending. Who's that? I thought. Nathaniel ****ing Clyne!