Mane

simo

During the period from Aston Villa away to Sheff Utd in the cup his performance level was seriously poor and I think most of the comments around the start of this thread were quite justified at the time. Many players come in from foreign leagues and struggle to make an impact at first, but with Mane it went beyond that, he seemed to be having an adverse effect on the players around him whose form had previously been excellent.

Since the Crystal Palace game it's been one of the most staggering and sudden changes in form I've ever known and now we all love him. Such is the fickle nature of being a football fan.

See, I don't think half of the stick he received was anywhere near justified. ''He's another Ali Dia'' ''He's not a footballer'' ''He's not even fit for L1'' ''Sell him ASAP'' - that's just pitiful waffle. If it's acceptable to post **** like that when any player loses a bit of form then god help us all.

As the sensible lot on this thread pointed out - he showed his quality at the start of the season. You could see his class. That's why it was pitiful and pretty embarrassing to write him off and now why we see certain people who were so vocal against him not posting since.

See, I don't think half of the stick he received was anywhere near justified. ''He's another Ali Dia'' ''He's not a footballer'' ''He's not even fit for L1'' ''Sell him ASAP'' - that's just pitiful waffle. If it's acceptable to post **** like that when any player loses a bit of form then god help us all.

As the sensible lot on this thread pointed out - he showed his quality at the start of the season. You could see his class. That's why it was pitiful and pretty embarrassing to write him off and now why we see certain people who were so vocal against him not posting since.

I think any stick was justified and fyi every time he has a blinder i bring this thread up

I think any stick was justified and fyi every time he has a blinder i bring this thread up

The stuff I stated above was not justified what so ever. This place is guilty of it every season (probably most over football forums to be fair). Fans just snapshot a little group of games and decide on that that player A isn't good enough, player B isn't good enough, we'll get relegated etc.

Sometimes it's worth just looking at the entire picture before jumping on the criticizing bandwagon. I'll say what I said a few days ago - how any of our fans can be so vocal against any of our lads who have played a big amount this year is beyond me. They're all playing out of their skins, they'll have ups and downs, but given that we're still 3rd, I'd say they've had many more ups. Enjoy this period, I wish people would stop trying to find reasons to criticize or search for a scapegoat. There really is no need.

The stuff I stated above was not justified what so ever. This place is guilty of it every season (probably most over football forums to be fair). Fans just snapshot a little group of games and decide on that that player A isn't good enough, player B isn't good enough, we'll get relegated etc.

Sometimes it's worth just looking at the entire picture before jumping on the criticizing bandwagon. I'll say what I said a few days ago - how any of our fans can be so vocal against any of our lads who have played a big amount this year is beyond me. They're all playing out of their skins, they'll have ups and downs, but given that we're still 3rd, I'd say they've had many more ups. Enjoy this period, I wish people would stop trying to find reasons to criticize or search for a scapegoat. There really is no need.

Tbf I started this thread and I'm chuffed to be eating my words as I'm sure is everyone else who posted derogatory comments but in mine and most peoples opinions at the time he was our worst player for a period but I get your point we were in a losing period and he did seem to be the only player taking blame but as you say its a football forum filled with (right or wrong) opinions unfortunately

• 1 month later...
Tbf I started this thread and I'm chuffed to be eating my words as I'm sure is everyone else who posted derogatory comments but in mine and most peoples opinions at the time he was our worst player for a period but I get your point we were in a losing period and he did seem to be the only player taking blame but as you say its a football forum filled with (right or wrong) opinions unfortunately

You're not getting away with it that easily. It is a football forum filled with opinions, but some of them are utter nonsense, knee-jerk over the top criticism, and based on little thought or evidence. You're in with that lot, and you do it frequently.

MOST people? Hold on mate. I don't think most people thought he was our worst player for a period. You were reactionary and in the minority.

How funny, all you hypocrites who criticised the heck out of me for stating how poor Mane was a couple of weeks ago are now jumping on the bandwagon.

Yes, he's probably the worst player to pull on a Saints shirt since Ali Dia.

Absolutely no touch.

Keystone Kops ball control

Never beats his man - well, sometimes HE does, but the ball is left behind.

His pace is almost irrelevant since he runs up to the defender then slows the game down or stops completely.

Seeing his "shots" almost hit the corner flag is embarrassing.

Shane Long is a real footballer, this guy is 10 million flushed down the toilet.

No, I still see only you with the comical view.

Other people (fairly) crtisising certain aspects in the last 4 games, but no one has decided to be foolish like yourself and post such trash.

I look forward to the day he makes you look very silly (which he will, and undoubtedly you'll go quiet)

Has this been bumped yet? :D

MOST people? Hold on mate. I don't think most people thought he was our worst player for a period. You were reactionary and in the minority.

There were a lot of people slating Mane on this thread, it was a majority of posters in this thread at the time (early December I think) - though I would imagine the majority couldn't be bothered to put up a defence of Mane in the face of a relentless onslaught of a criticism.

It's a lose-lose situation, you'll never change the opinion of the kind of person that fails to see the bigger picture so spectacularly in the first place, and even if your argument is sound and logical, it's still just arguing with knee-jerk spoons on the internet.

As it is.....

Sporting Lisbon's current record transfer fee is £7.79m and second highest is £7.04m. Maybe the article actually means the other big Lisbon side of Benfica. Their record transfer is £10.5m and they have on one other occasion spent over £10m

So given the fact that we spent more than their record transfer fees on the off chance that he would be good, which seems to have paid dividends, I would not imagine that with 3 years left on his contract, that we would be looking to let him go for anything south of say £20m. Will Lisbon near triple their record transfer record or Benfica double theirs? Somehow I doubt it. But you never know.......!!

oh my god

please someone tell me I am dreaming when it is stated we paid as much as we did for him?

As it is.....

Sporting Lisbon's current record transfer fee is £7.79m and second highest is £7.04m. Maybe the article actually means the other big Lisbon side of Benfica. Their record transfer is £10.5m and they have on one other occasion spent over £10m

So given the fact that we spent more than their record transfer fees on the off chance that he would be good, which seems to have paid dividends, I would not imagine that with 3 years left on his contract, that we would be looking to let him go for anything south of say £20m. Will Lisbon near triple their record transfer record or Benfica double theirs? Somehow I doubt it. But you never know.......!!

Batman thought fee we paid was a joke, so maybe some would cut their losses and bite their hand off for £7m?

Personally think if he leaves will be for very healthy profit.

I think you need to re read the thread nipper !

You're not getting away with it that easily. It is a football forum filled with opinions, but some of them are utter nonsense, knee-jerk over the top criticism, and based on little thought or evidence. You're in with that lot, and you do it frequently.

If a player plays rubbish I'll say so , Shocker!

Didn't realise you meant the majority of the mongboard :lol: that explains it then.

Perhaps to avoid this kind of confusion in the future everyone should respond to every post with which they disagree with a simple "I disagree" so that we can accurately keep track of what the majority really thinks. Remaining silent should always be interpreted as agreement.

He is surely worth as much as Lallana now. Better goal ratio, troubles the best defenders in the league.

Absolute class player and most exciting attacker we have had for many years.

Really? he is having a good run presently but he still looks like he will miss as many as he scores. I am not convinced for the long run but to suggest he is anywhere near the class of Lallana is folly, there is no way that Mane will ever be as good as Lallana. Given his position, he will hopefully score more goals, clearly he is quicker but he will not dominate a game in the same way as Lallana did for us for about 4 years. Mane is about sudden impact, Lallana was control.

but obviously this is about making out anyone who left under a cloud is **** now, Lovren yes, but not Lallana.

Really? he is having a good run presently but he still looks like he will miss as many as he scores. I am not convinced for the long run but to suggest he is anywhere near the class of Lallana is folly, there is no way that Mane will ever be as good as Lallana. Given his position, he will hopefully score more goals, clearly he is quicker but he will not dominate a game in the same way as Lallana did for us for about 4 years. Mane is about sudden impact, Lallana was control.

but obviously this is about making out anyone who left under a cloud is **** now, Lovren yes, but not Lallana.

I disagree, to write off his potential to match Lallana is folly.

Remember when Lallana was his age, with the benefit of being settled and stable at the same club for years, Lallana was scoring at a similar rate to Mane is....but in league 1.

Mane has settled into a new country, had an injury and time away with his country and still done well.

The problem Lallana has is his pace, and is not likely to get quicker. Mane has natural pace bug is still, at times, raw. He has more potential to improve than Lallana.

Good start, still room for improvement....

I think he is easily as good as Lallana. One part of his game that gets overlooked is his ability to deliver penetrating passes and assists - he really is a winger, striker and AM rolled into one, though 10 is probably his best spot.

When Lallana was Mane's age, he hadn't played above Championship level. Mane is a international, with European competition experience and has already shown himself capable of being a dangerous threat to Premier League sides.

Perhaps to avoid this kind of confusion in the future everyone should respond to every post with which they disagree with a simple "I disagree" so that we can accurately keep track of what the majority really thinks. Remaining silent should always be interpreted as agreement.

I disagree.

Sometimes I stay quiet because I know that if I start wanging on I won't stop and then my stupid fat mouth will get me into all sorts of bother.

Also sometimes I stay quiet because I know that if I respond to something that irks me, it will only serve to compound my annoyance and I may end up beating the neighbour/wife/whoever with a ball hammer.

Stunningly insightful piece - http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/434121/Southampton-face-FIGHT-keep-Sadio-Mane-with-Sporting-Lisbon-pursuit

Saints could expect a fee in excess of the £11.8m they paid to land Mane, although the club are not under pressure to sell after this week posting a £33.4m profit for their last financial year.

Wow, we take someone from a second rate league, expose him as someone who knows what he is doing and COULD expect a fee in excess of the £11.8m that we paid for him what with him having 3 years left. Wow. Who would have thought that!!? My post #520 covers why I think it won't happen.

I suspect it is actually more to do with the next sentence.....

It promises to be another busy summer on the south coast with Nathaniel Clyne, Morgan Schneiderlin and Toby Alderweireld all eyeing potential moves.

....where the papers are building up to have more "poor little Southampton" stories filling their pages.

Stunningly insightful piece - http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/434121/Southampton-face-FIGHT-keep-Sadio-Mane-with-Sporting-Lisbon-pursuit

Wow, we take someone from a second rate league, expose him as someone who knows what he is doing and COULD expect a fee in excess of the £11.8m that we paid for him what with him having 3 years left. Wow. Who would have thought that!!? My post #520 covers why I think it won't happen.

I suspect it is actually more to do with the next sentence.....

....where the papers are building up to have more "poor little Southampton" stories filling their pages.

I think he signed a 5 year deal didn't he? MLG?

Mane reminds me of Kenwynne Jones in terms of raw talent when they joined the club. Jones turned into a very, very good premier league player, just not for us. I personally think Mane is a better player already and will hopefully stay with us for the long haul as he is only going to get better and better.

Jones turned into a very, very good premier league player, just not for us. I personally think Mane is a better player already.

Mane is in a whole different league to Jones, who played 2 games for us in the PL and had spells where he did well for others but has always been very inconsistent and a bottom half striker, a bit like Long really.

Odd comparison IMO. Mane was unproven in England, yes, but already had good Intl and Europa League experience.

He was probably better than Jones when he was 16 and almost certainly the two will have careers that are poles apart in terms of the class of clubs they play for.

Mane reminds me of Kenwynne Jones in terms of raw talent when they joined the club. Jones turned into a very, very good premier league player, just not for us. I personally think Mane is a better player already and will hopefully stay with us for the long haul as he is only going to get better and better.

:scared::?

Mane is in a whole different league to Jones, who played 2 games for us in the PL and had spells where he did well for others but has always been very inconsistent and a bottom half striker, a bit like Long really.

Odd comparison IMO. Mane was unproven in England, yes, but already had good Intl and Europa League experience.

He was probably better than Jones when he was 16 and almost certainly the two will have careers that are poles apart in terms of the class of clubs they play for.

Mane reminds me more of Walcott then anyone else. He's nothing like Jones, except for being black.

you weren't at Birmingham then for Jones' debut. One of the worst displays I have ever seen by a Saint. He looked miles out of his depth (admittedly he was very young) and highly unlikely to ever make it. Thankfully that wasn't the case, but it took a while before he found his feet and his best position. Of course the lower level of opposition (initially) helped too.

Mane on the other hand was pretty experienced and hit the ground running straight away.

I think CylonKing means the unpredictability of what they might do is similar as well as that their physical power (although different in physique) on occasion makes them 'unplayable'. I agree with those that say Mane was ahead on arrival at Saints though. Jones was a center back when we signed him from the caribeann and we converted him to a striker.

you weren't at Birmingham then for Jones' debut. One of the worst displays I have ever seen by a Saint. He looked miles out of his depth (admittedly he was very young) and highly unlikely to ever make it. Thankfully that wasn't the case, but it took a while before he found his feet and his best position. Of course the lower level of opposition (initially) helped too.

Mane on the other hand was pretty experienced and hit the ground running straight away.

The game where Henri Camara came on and tore the Brummies a new one? So unlucky not to at least draw that match. From memory did Kenwyne start on the left wing for some reason?

The game where Henri Camara came on and tore the Brummies a new one? So unlucky not to at least draw that match. From memory did Kenwyne start on the left wing for some reason?

Camara isn't a bad shout, though Camara was stocky and powerful whereas Mané is wiry and elusive.

Not been as excited about a player for ages - has so much room to grow. And to think you don't have to be a Ronaldo or Bale or spend £30-40m to get both pace and skill, as some distinguished dinlows on here have insisted.

Walcott isn't black you racist arsehole

OMG - the racist card being thrown down.

racist - a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

Nowhere in that post was there any hint of supremacist language, and this modern phenomenon of shouting racist whenever someone states something like Dig Dig did is truly pathetic and detracts away from the true instances of racism. It might have been unnecessary and flippant, but nor racist. Or do you consider someone calling Theo "black" rather than "mix raced" as racist, when there was no intent to be derogatory? Personally I have never bothered to pigeon hole him with regards his skin colour, but if someone forced me to, then I might also describe him as black rather than mixed race - does that make me a racist as well? As it is, I just see him as an ex-Saints player.

racist - a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

Nowhere in that post was there any hint of supremacist language, and this modern phenomenon of shouting racist whenever someone states something like Dig Dig did is truly pathetic and detracts away from the true instances of racism. It might have been unnecessary and flippant, but nor racist. Or do you consider someone calling Theo "black" rather than "mix raced" as racist, when there was no intent to be derogatory? Personally I have never bothered to pigeon hole him with regards his skin colour, but if someone forced me to, then I might also describe him as black rather than mixed race - does that make me a racist as well? As it is, I just see him as an ex-Saints player.

From an American perspective this is strange in another way in that we would normally refer to a mixed race person with African heritage as black although the current politically correct term is African-American. Obviously, however, that last term would not apply to Walcott and he would probably find it more offensive than black or white.

From an American perspective this is strange in another way in that we would normally refer to a mixed race person with African heritage as black although the current politically correct term is African-American. Obviously, however, that last term would not apply to Walcott and he would probably find it more offensive than black or white.

The thing is, when talking about comparing players like K. Jones, Walcott, Sadio etc., there's really no need to add the term "mixed race" to describe someone like Theo. If you want to point out detail of family background then West Indian parent and UK parent (for eg) will do, or Sengalese or West Indian. The comparing of Mane's playing style to people like Camara and Walcott is a good debating point but who gives a ****e about their biological origins.

The thing is, when talking about comparing players like K. Jones, Walcott, Sadio etc., there's really no need to add the term "mixed race" to describe someone like Theo. If you want to point out detail of family background then West Indian parent and UK parent (for eg) will do, or Sengalese or West Indian. The comparing of Mane's playing style to people like Camara and Walcott is a good debating point but who gives a ****e about their biological origins.

Pastor strikes again.

For most purposes I don't. I was just reacting to the claim that referring to him as black was inherently racist, which it was not.