Mane

simo

When he scored against Stoke I thought it was a bit of a miss hit (although a good reaction nonetheless). Having seen his shooting in subsequent games I'm even more convinced of it. He was close enough to the goal that it stayed under the bar (just) but I actually think he got under it too much, as he has tended to do since, and was saved by the frame of the goal.

Really? So now we don't think he's good enough we're going to nit pick the goals he's scored? Isn't "staying under the bar (just)" the perfect spot?

Really? So now we don't think he's good enough we're going to nit pick the goals he's scored? Isn't "staying under the bar (just)" the perfect spot?

It's the way of the mongboard Lou. We've decided he's sh*t so therefore even when he does something good it was either luck or not what he intended. If you're going to fit in round here you need to get up to speed on these things sharpish.

You clearly don't get the point I was trying to make. I'll take any goal, no matter how it goes in, but the signs were there for me then. What I'm saying is no more reactionary than everyone who eagerly described his goal as a stroke of magic, as many did at the time. He showed good reactions, but I honestly think the shot was more erratic than he'd intended. Glad it hit the back of the net, but I'm no blind idiot.

You clearly don't get the point I was trying to make. I'll take any goal, no matter how it goes in, but the signs were there for me then. What I'm saying is no more reactionary than everyone who eagerly described his goal as a stroke of magic, as many did at the time. He showed good reactions, but I honestly think the shot was more erratic than he'd intended. Glad it hit the back of the net, but I'm no blind idiot.

More mongboard magic.

He's hit all kind of shots and misses -but some instinct to find patterns in everything -the proverbial image of Christ on a slice of toast- now seems he skies everything. From what I remember the ball came out to him quickly and bounced -and he hit it practically on the half-volley.

Now simple physics -unless you are a simplistic cretin- tells you that it's very hard to keep those shots down -that he did so should be praised, not criticised, let alone be concluded that the writing was on the wall from that point on.

Edited by shurlock

So the warning signs were there for you that he was sh*t because he scored the winner in a tight game?

I clearly do get your point. I just think you're over thinking it. Pelle also scored goals people critiqued at the start of the season as "not as well controlled as it could have been" as if evidence to show he was lacking. I'm saying that's daft. A goal is a goal, and a thing to celebrate, not nit pick. It a hard enough thing to achieve in the first place. Mane needs some development to be at his most effective. But he's done good things too.

I clearly do get your point. I just think you're over thinking it. Pelle also scored goals people critiqued at the start of the season as "not as well controlled as it could have been" as if evidence to show he was lacking. I'm saying that's daft. A goal is a goal, and a thing to celebrate, not nit pick. It a hard enough thing to achieve in the first place. Mane needs some development to be at his most effective. But he's done good things too.

Elia isn't available until 3rd Jan. Until then I'm afraid Mane is the whipping boy.

It's the way of the mongboard Lou. We've decided he's sh*t so therefore even when he does something good it was either luck or not what he intended. If you're going to fit in round here you need to get up to speed on these things sharpish.

We're all a bit obsessed, I guess, but that takes it to a new level !

He's hit all kind of shots and misses -but some instinct to find patterns in everything -the proverbial face of Christ on a slice of toast- now seems he skies everything. From what I remember the ball came out to him quickly and bounced -and he hit it practically on the half-volley.

Now simple physics -unless you are a simplistic cretin- tells you that it's very hard to keep those shots down -that he did should be praised, not criticised.

Well, there you are. You remember wrongly. The ball was on the ground and not bouncing. I just watched it back. The ball came back off the post, Mane was standing roughly in line with the penalty spot. It was good positioning, and he reacted well to the ball. You can see he was trying to side-foot place it into the bottom corner, but because he's leaning back his foot is under the ball and goes up much higher than is ideal. It clipped in off the bar, which I can't imagine for a second was his intention. I'm not complaining about the goal, just observing that at the time I was a little dubious about him. Not only because of this though, I also thought he went down too easily and holds on to the ball too long. I'm not alone in that assessment I know.

So the warning signs were there for you that he was sh*t because he scored the winner in a tight game?

I'm not talking about the goal. In fact, the goal is incidental to this conversation. I'm talking about his technique. As many have commented in recent weeks, he gets under the ball too much and doesn't have great control. That was evident even when he scored. It was great that he scored, but people who blindly claimed the coming of the second messiah after it went (and lots of you did) in were as blind as you seem to think I am. I'm not writing Mane off, but I don't think his goal was a stroke of genius. He miss hit, but fortunately miss hit towards the goal.

(Last post of the day)

Andoru- watched the replay of the goal (as well as being in line with it at the time), the ball came at pace and skidded and bounced off the turf (just see where the initial shot which was spinning hits the post unless you're in denial of the laws of physics -the bounce wasn't high but the ball certainly didn't roll truly and cleanly). So yes the point about it being all too easy to get under the shot stands.

Edited by shurlock

He's hit all kind of shots and misses -but some instinct to find patterns in everything -the proverbial face of Christ on a slice of toast- now seems he skies everything. From what I remember the ball came out to him quickly and bounced -and he hit it practically on the half-volley.

Now simple physics -unless you are a simplistic cretin- tells you that it's very hard to keep those shots down -that he did should be praised, not criticised.

Well, there you are. You remember wrongly. The ball was on the ground and not bouncing. I just watched it back. The ball came back off the post, Mane was standing roughly in line with the penalty spot. It was good positioning, and he reacted well to the ball. You can see he was trying to side-foot place it into the bottom corner, but because he's leaning back his foot is under the ball and goes up much higher than is ideal. It clipped in off the bar, which I can't imagine for a second was his intention. I'm not complaining about the goal, just observing that at the time I was a little dubious about him. Not only because of this though, I also thought he went down too easily and holds on to the ball too long. I'm not alone in that assessment I know.

I'm not talking about the goal. In fact, the goal is incidental to this conversation. I'm talking about his technique. As many have commented in recent weeks, he gets under the ball too much and doesn't have great control. That was evident even when he scored. It was great that he scored, but people who blindly claimed the coming of the second messiah after it went (and lots of you did) in were as blind as you seem to think I am. I'm not writing Mane off, but I don't think his goal was a stroke of genius. He miss hit, but fortunately miss hit towards the goal.

(Last post of the day)

If you ate worried about the way he strikes a ball then you should be equally worried about Pellè who has a horrible tendancy to rush or snatch at shots, especially after a dryish spell of goals.

Most of it is composure and confidence, things that can be rectified.

The shot itself from manè wasnt poor at all, a few technical bits here and there but realistically when the ball comes at you that fast its all about the reaction and he managed to get it away.

(Last post of the day)

I'm sorry, but that is just bunkum.

Just look at the goals he scored in Austria, that kind of finish is the norm, not the exception.

He is a young lady a day, come to a new country, who's out of form. End of. I am hoping a bit of time away at the AFCON will help.

The ignorant knee jerk way posters chase a scape goat on here shouldn't surprise me , but always does.

I don't know whether you have ever followed a pacy singers career before, but rarely are they consistent - even during one game!

He is 22 years old, a new signing who has already settled and contributed but , shock horror...has had a few games when his play hasn't worked out.

How does his season compare with Courtinio, Markovic, Townsend, Phillips or zaha?

His debut he won us the penalty at arsenal.

Next game he set up a goal with a back heel (would a consistant worker midfielder have even tried that?) BBC decscribed his game as impressive.

Spurs missed a sitter.

Sunderland scored.

Stoke scored and man of the match

Leicester played well.

Was one of better players in two manchester games.

Yes has performed worse in last few, and I share others concerns about the balance of the side with him playing.

However, that is not a bad start at all for a 22 year old winger. But those who predicted we would lose and plummet down the table are in shock and looking for someone to blame when we do lose ?!

Adding to my summary (as balance to strange wade Garrett/ toe punt ignorant attacks) these are man u views after playing us, suggesting they buy him...

"I was really impressed by Mane - not that we need him. Shame on me, but I knew very little about him before the game - and he was a constant threat to us (who wasn't, though). Incredibly gifted and has an eye for a pass. Not that we need him at all, of course."

"I've seen a couple of matches of him in a Salzburg shirt and he impressed me. Tricky little player with loads of speed and an eye for a goal. We haven't seen much of his goalscoring exploits in Southampton so far but I'm convinced it will come.

On a side note: I added him to my fantasy team after he was signed. So far I haven't recouped much, but he was cheap and listed as a midfielder, so the potential for a high-scoring player that "no-one else" got in their team is there."

I was more impressed with his natural ability and not actually his performance. At first I thought that he was another one gifted but stupid player like Ben Arfa, but he picked some neat passes closer to the end of the game (the one to Pele, if I'm not mistaken, was simply brilliant).

Nowhere near top-class yet, but I can see him getting there with the right management.

"I've seen Mané for Salzburg and he ripped the league apart, wasn't sure he'd be good enough for the Premier League, but he's proven me wrong, let's see if he can show good performances on a regular basis."

Of course there will be views to contrary, but young fast wingers are most inconsistent players there are. He clearly isn't as bad as some are making out.

Adding to my summary (as balance to strange wade Garrett/ toe punt ignorant attacks) these are man u views after playing us, suggesting they buy him...

"I was really impressed by Mane - not that we need him. Shame on me, but I knew very little about him before the game - and he was a constant threat to us (who wasn't, though). Incredibly gifted and has an eye for a pass. Not that we need him at all, of course."

"I've seen a couple of matches of him in a Salzburg shirt and he impressed me. Tricky little player with loads of speed and an eye for a goal. We haven't seen much of his goalscoring exploits in Southampton so far but I'm convinced it will come.

On a side note: I added him to my fantasy team after he was signed. So far I haven't recouped much, but he was cheap and listed as a midfielder, so the potential for a high-scoring player that "no-one else" got in their team is there."

I was more impressed with his natural ability and not actually his performance. At first I thought that he was another one gifted but stupid player like Ben Arfa, but he picked some neat passes closer to the end of the game (the one to Pele, if I'm not mistaken, was simply brilliant).

Nowhere near top-class yet, but I can see him getting there with the right management.

"I've seen Mané for Salzburg and he ripped the league apart, wasn't sure he'd be good enough for the Premier League, but he's proven me wrong, let's see if he can show good performances on a regular basis."

Of course there will be views to contrary, but young fast wingers are most inconsistent players there are. He clearly isn't as bad as some are making out.

quoting your own posts is like masterbating in front of the mirror.

Shock horror, he plays through the middle and looks miles better - as did Long, and as would Mayuka. We need to stop this experiment of trying to play strikers out wide. It doesn't provide more goal threat, it just renders them completely ineffectual.

maybe why we have got Elia in???

Think he needs a more central role. He has plenty of pace and tricks, but doesn't have the vision or the discipline to play on the wing, his crosses and through balls have been poor generally.

If he plays centrally he can concentrate on tricking through defences, rather than picking out crosses.

This guy knows his stuff, except for the crossing part.

Get rid - now. The guy is a total liability, it's like playing with only ten men because the rest of the team clearly have no respect for him or faith in his ability.

There was a moment last night when he stupidly gave away a foul in the opposite half and then just casually jogged back while SHU took a quick free kick, leaving Clyne completely exposed against two men, and you could see Clyne lose his rag and screaming at Mane.

He can't get past a L1 defence, he provides no defensive cover for Clyne, he lunges into wild tackles, and his team mates clearly can't stand the guy.

I have defended him up until now, but I can't anymore.

Lol.

Been an absolute revelation playing through the middle. With Elia to come in to play the wing role, we can keep him central post-AFCON

Which makes for an interesting lineup.

Mane behind Pelle, Tadic and Elia wide, Davis dropped?

Which makes for an interesting lineup.

Mane behind Pelle, Tadic and Elia wide, Davis dropped?

Why Davis? Why is he always the ''odd one out''? When in most cases, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet for every manager we've had. Top player, crucial in all we do. He starts every week if fit.

Elia will just rotate with Long in the same way that Mane currently does. (Don't forget, Mane is gone now for 6 weeks - or after the next game)

He started on fire and was doing well, when we were losing he annoyed the **** out of me and now he has been put in what seems to be his preferred position he is on fire.

More than his goals his work rate over the last 2 games has been fantastic, Sadio I apologise, please get knocked out of the AFCON ASAP.