Mane

simo

Tadic was playing on the right in the first match of the season, which was before we even signed Mane, so I assume that means your argument is that he was shunted out there to accommodate someone we hadn't even signed and that wasn't playing?

I will say that the 4 Austrian Bundesliga matches he played for RB Salzburg this season they won 8-0, 6-1, and 5-0 twice, and he only scored two, so he's not to be expected to be an out and out goalscorer.

He played on the right for most of preseason. Against Liverpool, he played the first half on the left and then moved more to the right in the second half - it was his interchange and understanding with Clyne that led to our goal. But he's a predominantly a left sided player. As to whether switching to the right led to his dip in form, I don't buy it. Just think hes less of an unknown quantity and defenders play tighter and more physically with him, not allowing him to face them square on.

Edited by shurlock

He played on the right for most of preseason. Against Liverpool, he played the first half on the left and then moved more to the right in the second half - it was his interchange and understanding with Clyne that led to our goal.

But he didn't move to the right to accommodate Mane, who was happily playing in 5 goal wins for Red Bull Salzburg for another 2 weeks.

Every game I've seen Tadic play well in he was on the left. Mane comes along, immediately monopolises the left side, and Tadic's performances dropped. Note that I'm not insisting that this change is what made Tadic's performances drop, but saying that this was when they dropped.

It is often a foreign or black player who gets picked on unfairly. He hasn't been any worse than Long or Tadic in an attacking sense recently. He is mental defensively, mind.

I remember morons saying Guly was lazy.

BWP was proper ****e though.

I agree with this to some extent, although Danny Fox was the recent example to break that mould. I think Mane has got decent potential, but is obviously trying to adapt to a different style of play that is somewhat at odds with his natural instincts. A bit of time and patience is required, all IMHO of course. The intelligencia booing him or getting on his back from the first 5 minutes isn't going to get any results with the lad. And you are right about Tadic, who for me is in real danger of turning into Skacel MkII.

I hope Mane gets encouragement tomorrow, but i suspect he'll get a load of unwarranted grief from the first minute.

I agree with this to some extent, although Danny Fox was the recent example to break that mould. I think Mane has got decent potential, but is obviously trying to adapt to a different style of play that is somewhat at odds with his natural instincts. A bit of time and patience is required, all IMHO of course. The intelligencia booing him or getting on his back from the first 5 minutes isn't going to get any results with the lad. And you are right about Tadic, who for me is in real danger of turning into Skacel MkII.

I hope Mane gets encouragement tomorrow, but i suspect he'll get a load of unwarranted grief from the first minute.

Danny fox, Paul Telfer, David Prutton.

Some people can only see grief given to minorities.

I suspect i'm on my last post of the day so i'll qualify my last post before a nit picker tears me apart, of course Mané didn't get into the first team immediately as he arrived at the club. I meant from the moment he came into the first team he monopolised the left.

Except Liverpool, when the goal he set up was from playing down the right?

I honestly can't say I remember Tadic doing anything significant in any match since that, left or right side, and if he was Senegalese and a bit more random this forum would probably be battering him instead.

The reason we're struggling at the moment has not got much to do with Mane's performances. We're still getting the ball in attacking areas, we're still creating chances, we're losing becasue we're conceding crappy goals from mistakes as well as not scoring the chances we have created.

Danny fox, Paul Telfer, David Prutton.

Some people can only see grief given to minorities.

I suspect i'm on my last post of the day so i'll qualify my last post before a nit picker tears me apart, of course Mané didn't get into the first team immediately as he arrived at the club. I meant from the moment he came into the first team he monopolised the left.

DAVID PRUTTON? The man who was lauded as saving our season every time he got injured and was poised to come back? I've never seen a bad word said about him that didn't contain the word "haircut".

Edited by The9

Although I can understand the frustration with Mane (he has been woeful recently) - dare I say it, I think the lad has got great potential. He could be developed into a good player.

It's just a shame our squad is so threadbare at present that Koeman is having to persist with him, hoping he'll come good, even though a spell out of the spotlight would be better. Hopefully this won't descend into a vicious circle where Mane's performances provoke crowd hostility, undermining his confidence, and therefore performances deteriorate further...

Although I can understand the frustration with Mane (he has been woeful recently) - dare I say it, I think the lad has got great potential. He could be developed into a good player.

It's just a shame our squad is so threadbare at present that Koeman is having to persist with him, hoping he'll come good, even though a spell out of the spotlight would be better. Hopefully this won't descend into a vicious circle where Mane's performances provoke crowd hostility, undermining his confidence, and therefore performances deteriorate further...

...but we can all see it coming miles off. :?

Good post.

I honestly can't say I remember Tadic doing anything significant in any match since that, left or right side, and if he was Senegalese and a bit more random this forum would probably be battering him instead.

The reason we're struggling at the moment has not got much to do with Mane's performances. We're still getting the ball in attacking areas, we're still creating chances, we're losing becasue we're conceding crappy goals from mistakes as well as not scoring the chances we have created.

Tadic hasn't doing anything since the opening day of the season - are you serious? Seem to remember 4 or 5 assists against Sunderland for a start.

I didn't see that game, so i'm comfortable in my assessment. Without checking, I believe it has been mentioned that although Tadic made the assist from the right, he was not there for the whole game. Before Mané got into the first team Tadic would pop up on the right at times, but wasn't stuck there. Mané looks to monopolise the left IMO, which I think is Tadic's best position.

DAVID PRUTTON? The man who was lauded as saving our season every time he got injured and was poised to come back? I've never seen a bad word said about him that didn't contain the word "haircut".

The guy got dog's abuse as much as he was defended. It turned out that he was useless, had a **** career, and probably warranted the criticism, but that doesn't mean he didn't draw heavy criticism from internet forums.

Do Paul Telfer and Neil McCann count as foreign out of interest. And does Jermaine Wright count as Black?

But the real question is this. Is he a 10.8 million £ pile of crap as you'd believe if you read the Mail,the Telegraph or RB Salzburgs site (they intitially wanted 20 million € apparently) or is he a 4 million £ hopeful in the same way that Mayuka was.

4 million... well what can you expect but 10,8 million is something different. If he really cost 4 million then haven't we been led up the garden path a bit on exactly how much we spent last summer. Perhaps Long didn't really cost 12 million either..

who knows what we made and what we spent really. Is that Swiss Ramble bloke still out there ?

Or is he a £4m pile of crap?

I shall start with an open mind today, but I shall be paying special attention to him. I never boo or groan but I applaud or cheer where it is deserved.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Bit of an arbitrary comparison as I watch Palace's Bolassie vs Man City. Both African with an orange hair thing going on. Similarly built? Both tagged with the slightly lazy 'unpredictable' tag. Bolassie's a couple of years older with more UK experience.

As I watch him, I think - 'wish Mane was as good as that'. Then I realise I've ignored all the times he's tried tricks and lost the ball and generally been out of position or not put a ball in. Probably not as infuriating as Mane, but seeing as our man is a bit younger, there's potential there.

And I fancy CP's attack to score more than ours over the last few weeks.

Interestingly since the home game against Stoke where he scored the only goal of the game, in all the games he's started we've only scored one goal with him on the pitch, and three goals once he's been subbed off.

Off the top of my head from the fixtures before that there was:

the Sunderland game which was a freak result, but we scored 3 goals after he came on off the bench.

Spurs away where he started, missed a sitter, and we didn't score.

I think there really is something to the theory of him disrupting the balance of the team.

Another 3 goals scored with Mane not on the pitch...

No Mane. 3 points. A bloke with hair like that doesnt lack confidence, he is just a dragging anchor on our team ethic and the way we play. Lose the 'look at me hair' and make a net positive contribution to a game and I will back off.

So to be clear this conditional offer of you backing off won't apply if he starts playing well but doesn't change his hair?

Mané being away for the ACN in January may be good thing. To me, the team looks much better with Long in attack and with some talented young players waiting for their chances I'd rather the club see them used than buying someone in. Harry Reed has already shown that Koeman can have confidence in him so now it would be nice to see more of Dom Gape and some game time for Seager and McQueen.

Mane is the new Stuart Ripley. For the cowards on here there's always going to be some whipping boy!

A little hungover today darling? Not sure how saying that Mane has had a run of bad games and needs to be dropped makes one a coward, but whatever floats your boat.

Think he needs a more central role. He has plenty of pace and tricks, but doesn't have the vision or the discipline to play on the wing, his crosses and through balls have been poor generally.

If he plays centrally he can concentrate on tricking through defences, rather than picking out crosses.

Thought he started really well and scored 2 good goals (**** off DGP), but missed a couple of sitters. Has been very poor in the main recently.

Rightly benched on Saturday but I don't see a big lack of effort and that's all I ask. Some so called supporters should start to support rather than look for a scapegoat.

The lad is young and for sure has ability. Be patient and get behind him and the team.

Thought he started really well and scored 2 good goals (**** off DGP), but missed a couple of sitters. Has been very poor in the main recently.

Rightly benched on Saturday but I don't see a big lack of effort and that's all I ask. Some so called supporters should start to support rather than look for a scapegoat.

The lad is young and for sure has ability. Be patient and get behind him and the team.

They got his Sunderland goal spot on. The Sunderland player puts it in the net, not Mane.

This. I think he has loads of ability and can be a matchwinner when playing well. Was excellent early on then has struggled as we have as a team in the last month (Everton aside).

Not sure if im an idiot but does DGP mean dubious goal panel?

When he scored against Stoke I thought it was a bit of a miss hit (although a good reaction nonetheless). Having seen his shooting in subsequent games I'm even more convinced of it. He was close enough to the goal that it stayed under the bar (just) but I actually think he got under it too much, as he has tended to do since, and was saved by the frame of the goal.