Mane

simo

I thought he was particularly poor last night, although in fairness he did have pretty much our only real chance on goal.

Sorry to say that liability is the right word to describe him, especially when he is lunging in at people like like loon.

Isgrove looked bright yesterday - not outstanding, and in comparison to an appalling team performance - and might be worth a run in the absence of anyone else.

Well, I'm still happy to defend him, when he hits a run of form he'll be blowing past people for fun and sticking undefendable crosses into the box.

He's a confidence player though, and he does have some awful touches. I'm not holding my breath for a "run of form" to be honest, but I understand why he's still getting picked. He's a bit wider for us than he was at RB Salzburg when he was scoring for fun though, many of those goals came from an inside left position, haring past stretched defences. He SHOULD be an outlet for us to counterattack, but we don't seem to do much of that any more.

Some of his stop-start running leading to unnecessary offsides, and insistence on cutting inside and passing to Wanyama against Man U almost every time has been annoying me though.

But I think part of it has come from better teams cutting off the ability for Bertrand to overlap though, massively reduces his options. Oh, and obviously it now turns out he's a bit of a disciplinary gamble too - but he hasn't actually been sent off... yet.

And he's still at least worth £9m more than Mayuka, I don't understand why they're getting lumped in together.

Well, I'm still happy to defend him, when he hits a run of form he'll be blowing past people for fun and sticking undefendable crosses into the box.

He's a confidence player though, and he does have some awful touches. I'm not holding my breath for a "run of form" to be honest, but I understand why he's still getting picked. He's a bit wider for us than he was at RB Salzburg when he was scoring for fun though, many of those goals came from an inside left position, haring past stretched defences. He SHOULD be an outlet for us to counterattack, but we don't seem to do much of that any more.

Some of his stop-start running leading to unnecessary offsides, and insistence on cutting inside and passing to Wanyama against Man U almost every time has been annoying me though.

But I think part of it has come from better teams cutting off the ability for Bertrand to overlap though, massively reduces his options. Oh, and obviously it now turns out he's a bit of a disciplinary gamble too - but he hasn't actually been sent off... yet.

SNIP

And he's still at least worth £9m more than Mayuka, I don't understand why they're getting lumped in together.

I hope you're joking.

I don't understand the vendetta against Mane either. Sure he's not the finished article, but he can cut though defences like he did against Manure, and he was the only person to be on target against Sheffield United. When virtually the whole team have been playing abjectly it is weird to single him out. It seems fans always have to have at least one player to get at. Like happened against young Dyer. (Now that's a player I would welcome back right now.) Mane needs individual coaching to make the most of his assets and improve his weaknesses. But so do more than half the team at the moment.

The guy has barely missed a game since signing, and Premier League is massive step up. He needs resting, but injuries have made this difficult and African Nations coming along doesn't help.

This is where the top sides are at such an advantage, they can give someone a couple of games out of the limelight, work on their game and they come back fresh. We can't do that right now, or perhaps we can but it's putting people like Isgrove in which is another sub-optimal answer.

The guy has barely missed a game since signing, and Premier League is massive step up. He needs resting, but injuries have made this difficult and African Nations coming along doesn't help.

This is where the top sides are at such an advantage, they can give someone a couple of games out of the limelight, work on their game and they come back fresh. We can't do that right now, or perhaps we can but it's putting people like Isgrove in which is another sub-optimal answer.

Good excuse, he's actually played less than half of the time the team has this season. However I don't doubt that the club expected some sort of contribution from JRod by now. I do wonder if Utd poaching our injury management bloke mid October

hasn't had some effect on that.

The illegitimate lovechild of Jonno Quick and Steve de Ridder - without their cutting edge in front of goal.

Also worth noting that Shane Long has morphed into Brett Ormerod. Always working his socks off, forever straying offside. Brett was better in front of goal, though. And that's really saying something

good sensible post .

In my opinion ever since we've played Mane our balance is upset due to the fact that we play Tadic on the right when. clearly. he's better on the left. Long doesn't get a start and the overlapping fullbacks don't become involved either.

As much as Long isn't a right side midfielder with him on the right Clyne gets more involvement and I feel we need to revert to this as Mane, clearly doesn't have a good first touch and, consequently, lunges at the ball when he's miscontrolled it and becomes a liability.

I think he's been lucky, so far, to avoid a red card for his rash / naive challenges.

I'd be more inclined to use him from the bench.

In my opinion ever since we've played Mane our balance is upset due to the fact that we play Tadic on the right when. clearly. he's better on the left. Long doesn't get a start and the overlapping fullbacks don't become involved either.

As much as Long isn't a right side midfielder with him on the right Clyne gets more involvement and I feel we need to revert to this as Mane, clearly doesn't have a good first touch and, consequently, lunges at the ball when he's miscontrolled it and becomes a liability.

I think he's been lucky, so far, to avoid a red card for his rash / naive challenges.

Good post...........cant just be coincidence that our bad spell started when he was in the starting team and not on the bench.

Good post...........cant just be coincidence that our bad spell started when he was in the starting team and not on the bench.

Interestingly since the home game against Stoke where he scored the only goal of the game, in all the games he's started we've only scored one goal with him on the pitch, and three goals once he's been subbed off.

Off the top of my head from the fixtures before that there was:

the Sunderland game which was a freak result, but we scored 3 goals after he came on off the bench.

Spurs away where he started, missed a sitter, and we didn't score.

I think there really is something to the theory of him disrupting the balance of the team.

I think there's a good player in the there somewhere, but he does upset the team balance and doesn't seem to have much positional sense, intent to track back, or a good idea of how to close down to tackle. He's a red card waiting to happen. But maybe these things can be improved through coaching, experience and a gain in confidence, because I think the raw talent and eye for goal is there.

That said, he has a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp most of the time, which I think is one of the reasons a lot of people really are not taking to him.

Been saying something similar for weeks.

very much this! id rather have !ane in the side than Mayuka and isgrove. we do like a scapegoat on here followed by total overreactions to every performance he puts in. nothing like supporting your local team (and players). personally i get frustrated about team performances but never single out players for abuse / boooing etc.

I want to add my voice to the "he is actually a good player" brigade. While, like a few others, he has made mistakes and missed opportunities, Mane has also caused problems for defenders; shown good touches and even as recently as the Blades debacle, produced our best effort on goal with his weaker foot. The mass bagging on this site is mind boggling. If you want to start doubting some of our players how about having a close look at JWP, dead ball deliveries aside.

The ignorant knee jerk way posters chase a scape goat on here shouldn't surprise me , but always does.

I don't know whether you have ever followed a pacy singers career before, but rarely are they consistent - even during one game!

He is 22 years old, a new signing who has already settled and contributed but , shock horror...has had a few games when his play hasn't worked out.

How does his season compare with Courtinio, Markovic, Townsend, Phillips or zaha?

His debut he won us the penalty at arsenal.

Next game he set up a goal with a back heel (would a consistant worker midfielder have even tried that?) BBC decscribed his game as impressive.

Spurs missed a sitter.

Sunderland scored.

Stoke scored and man of the match

Leicester played well.

Was one of better players in two manchester games.

Yes has performed worse in last few, and I share others concerns about the balance of the side with him playing.

However, that is not a bad start at all for a 22 year old winger. But those who predicted we would lose and plummet down the table are in shock and looking for someone to blame when we do lose ?!

The ignorant knee jerk way posters chase a scape goat on here shouldn't surprise me , but always does.

I don't know whether you have ever followed a pacy singers career before, but rarely are they consistent - even during one game!

He is 22 years old, a new signing who has already settled and contributed but , shock horror...has had a few games when his play hasn't worked out.

How does his season compare with Courtinio, Markovic, Townsend, Phillips or zaha?

Next game he set up a goal with a back heel (would a consistant worker midfielder have even tried that?) BBC decscribed his game as impressive.

Spurs missed a sitter.

Sunderland scored.

Leicester played well.

Yes has performed worse in last few, and I share others concerns about the balance of the side with him playing.

However, that is not a bad start at all for a 22 year old winger. But those who predicted we would lose and plummet down the table are in shock and looking for someone to blame when we do lose ?!

Good argument, I thought he had a mare against United though. I am more inclined to agree with inofthepost's post.

Interestingly since the home game against Stoke where he scored the only goal of the game, in all the games he's started we've only scored one goal with him on the pitch, and three goals once he's been subbed off.

Off the top of my head from the fixtures before that there was:

the Sunderland game which was a freak result, but we scored 3 goals after he came on off the bench.

Spurs away where he started, missed a sitter, and we didn't score.

I think there really is something to the theory of him disrupting the balance of the team.

a bit like the Spuds fans saying when a certain Gareth Bale used to play they never seemed to win (what ever happened to him) maybe he needs time im not saying hes another Bale but give him time

Trying to think of any pacy singers. The only one that comes to mind is Speedy Keen, Thunderclap Newman, who sadly died in 2002.

I don't understand the vendetta against Mane either. Sure he's not the finished article, but he can cut though defences like he did against Manure, and he was the only person to be on target against Sheffield United. When virtually the whole team have been playing abjectly it is weird to single him out. It seems fans always have to have at least one player to get at. Like happened against young Dyer. (Now that's a player I would welcome back right now.) Mane needs individual coaching to make the most of his assets and improve his weaknesses. But so do more than half the team at the moment.

Sadly one of the problems with internet forums is that they attract people with unthought out knee-jerk reactions. Obviously no-one who has watched football in general or Saints in particular over any period of time could seriously suggest that Mane was not as good as Jonno Quick; Antonio; Papa Waigo (!!!!!!) or even dear old Guly (a great club servant in the lower leagues) but reasoned views don't attract attention and so these frankly ridiculous statemnets just get fired off like tabloid headlines. And you are right people do love to have a scapegoat.

I think there's a good player in the there somewhere, but he does upset the team balance and doesn't seem to have much positional sense, intent to track back, or a good idea of how to close down to tackle. He's a red card waiting to happen. But maybe these things can be improved through coaching, experience and a gain in confidence, because I think the raw talent and eye for goal is there.

That said, he has a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp most of the time, which I think is one of the reasons a lot of people really are not taking to him.

Don't hold your breath on the coaching side !

Spurs missed a sitter.

Sunderland scored.

Leicester played well.

Problem is for all the good things you listed there are twice as many negatives...........not least being the way the team is playing to accommodate his presense on the pitch

Sadly one of the problems with internet forums is that they attract people with unthought out knee-jerk reactions. Obviously no-one who has watched football in general or Saints in particular over any period of time could seriously suggest that Mane was not as good as Jonno Quick; Antonio; Papa Waigo (!!!!!!) or even dear old Guly (a great club servant in the lower leagues) but reasoned views don't attract attention and so these frankly ridiculous statemnets just get fired off like tabloid headlines. And you are right people do love to have a scapegoat.

He is not a scapegoat just another of the blackbox failures along with Osvaldo......

It is often a foreign or black player who gets picked on unfairly. He hasn't been any worse than Long or Tadic in an attacking sense recently. He is mental defensively, mind.

I remember morons saying Guly was lazy.

BWP was proper ****e though.

It is often a foreign or black player who gets picked on unfairly. He hasn't been any worse than Long or Tadic in an attacking sense recently. He is mental defensively, mind.

TBF, most of us expected Long to be **** and Tadic was doing well before he was shunted out right to accommodate Mané

Hahaha now that is funny! Great effort

I really don't why there's so much surprise over Mané, he doesn't really have the pedigree to be a star in the PL. Came from Metz"s academy when they were in the French 3 rd division semi pro league, then to Salzburg in the Austrian League which isn't famed for it's quality. We paid 10 million £ for him on what basis? because we were desperate probably. He may come good but it certainly won't be tomorrow or next Friday. We should have gone for someone with a bit of real league experience for 10 million £, how much did Palarse give us for Puncheon 1,75 million was it..

I really don't why there's so much surprise over Mané, he doesn't really have the pedigree to be a star in the PL. Came from Metz"s academy when they were in the French 3 rd division semi pro league, then to Salzburg in the Austrian League which isn't famed for it's quality. We paid 10 million £ for him on what basis? because we were desperate probably. He may come good but it certainly won't be tomorrow or next Friday. We should have gone for someone with a bit of real league experience for 10 million £, how much did Palarse give us for Puncheon 1,75 million was it..

We paid £4 million for him.

We paid £4 million for him.

Really? Then the club should make that known and dispel the urban myth that we paid over 10 million £s for him.

A £10 million fee was accepted by Salzburg for the Senegal international and the deal was confirmed shortly after the transfer window closed at 11pm.

From the Telegraph

Really? Then the club should make that known and dispel the urban myth that we paid over 10 million £s for him.

A £10 million fee was accepted by Salzburg for the Senegal international and the deal was confirmed shortly after the transfer window closed at 11pm.

From the Telegraph

When I saw him against Utd I thought he was absolutely dreadful but cheered myself up thinking he could never play any worse.

Sadly I was wrong about that.

He started off okay but now he is just dreadful or should I say ****e

When I saw him against Utd I thought he was absolutely dreadful but cheered myself up thinking he could never play any worse.

Sadly I was wrong about that.

He started off okay but now he is just dreadful or should I say ****e

But the real question is this. Is he a 10.8 million £ pile of crap as you'd believe if you read the Mail,the Telegraph or RB Salzburgs site (they intitially wanted 20 million € apparently) or is he a 4 million £ hopeful in the same way that Mayuka was.

4 million... well what can you expect but 10,8 million is something different. If he really cost 4 million then haven't we been led up the garden path a bit on exactly how much we spent last summer. Perhaps Long didn't really cost 12 million either..

who knows what we made and what we spent really. Is that Swiss Ramble bloke still out there ?

From the Telegraph

Well the poster does nothing to dispel the wannabe ITKer or just ignorant mongboarder talking s**t myth.

TBF, most of us expected Long to be **** and Tadic was doing well before he was shunted out right to accommodate Mané

Tadic was playing on the right in the first match of the season, which was before we even signed Mane, so I assume that means your argument is that he was shunted out there to accommodate someone we hadn't even signed and that wasn't playing?

I will say that the 4 Austrian Bundesliga matches he played for RB Salzburg this season they won 8-0, 6-1, and 5-0 twice, and he only scored two, so he's not to be expected to be an out and out goalscorer.