Steven Davis

verlaine1979

I'm normally just a reader on this site but when you read such stupidity it's too much not to reply.

Steven Davis is a fantastic player, he's not underrated by the people who understand football because they recognise what he contributes to the team. Just for once watch what he does off the ball and appreciate the fantastic work rate and vision he has.

Funny because I was thinking Steven Davis should be considered Premier League player for January along with Koeman as manager of the month.

I think this thread shows up another 2 posters who don't see football the same way that I do.

Steve Davis - One of the best signings ever for Southampton.

Last ten games (give or take) he's dithered and lost possession so many times that I think had any other player in the squad done similar there'd have been a witch hunt by now. I'm not entirely sure what he's done that renders him so immune to criticism, but I suppose that in itself is a talent of sorts.

JWP now proving himself vastly more productive, so once our injury/AFCON issues are over, would be disappointed to see Davis a regular starter.

He's our best currently fit player and... your opinion is wrong. :D

Funny because I was thinking Steven Davis should be considered Premier League player for January along with Koeman as manager of the month.

I think this thread shows up another 2 posters who don't see football the same way that I do.

Steve Davis - One of the best signings ever for Southampton.

I think it will be Koeman and Fonte myself.

Blimey, you'd think I'd just told a bunch of kids that Santa Claus wasn't real...

Anyway, so what did I actually say? Firstly I suggested in the last ten games or so SD had dwelt on the ball several times and been dispossessed in dangerous areas (leading to a goal against City and pressure in several other games such as Arsenal away). Enough other people seem to have noticed this (with various caveats) that I can only assume the rest of you are watching the game through a filter of cliché and stereotypes so thick that the match must look like a cartoon strip with Davis appearing as Roy Race. Is it the end of the world? No, but it's bizarre that any other player surrendering possession so regularly would get absolutely hammered on here, while SD gets a pass. Ah well, God obviously isn't the only one that loves a trier.

Then there's the question of whether he would now be in our best XI with everyone fit. So, assuming that VW & MS are locked in at DM, and that Pelle, JRod & one of Tadic/Mane/Elia would be our front three, the vast majority genuinely seem to believe that a player with only 2 assists and no goals in about 1600 minutes of football is better suited to playing AM than a player with 6 assists in about 800 minutes of football? Question the validity of stats like assists and key passes all you like, but Davis would have to do a hell of a lot of unsung behind-the-scenes work to make up the difference in productivity from JWP's set pieces alone. Oh, and to the guy who made the Wotton/Schneiderlin comparison, the irony is that this time, faced with a choice between an old solid pro and a younger, technically superior player, you've gone with Wotton...

Honestly, some of the descriptions in this thread make Davis sound like a glorious hybrid of Xavi and Yaya Toure, spraying passes and driving up the pitch (which he seldom does - watch how often Davis turns on the ball during a game - he hates doing it, preferring to pop it back to the CB in that ultra-conservative play-the-way-you're-facing rule that got drummed into kids here over the last forty years). He is, and always has been, a great option to have on the bench when you need to close out a game, and as a replacement for one of the DM roles he's definitely ahead of JWP (though whether he's a better DM than Cork is another matter) - all I'm suggesting is that once everyone's back fit, that's where he should end up.

Blimey, you'd think I'd just told a bunch of kids that Santa Claus wasn't real...

Anyway, so what did I actually say? Firstly I suggested in the last ten games or so SD had dwelt on the ball several times and been dispossessed in dangerous areas (leading to a goal against City and pressure in several other games such as Arsenal away). Enough other people seem to have noticed this (with various caveats) that I can only assume the rest of you are watching the game through a filter of cliché and stereotypes so thick that the match must look like a cartoon strip with Davis appearing as Roy Race. Is it the end of the world? No, but it's bizarre that any other player surrendering possession so regularly would get absolutely hammered on here, while SD gets a pass. Ah well, God obviously isn't the only one that loves a trier.

Then there's the question of whether he would now be in our best XI with everyone fit. So, assuming that VW & MS are locked in at DM, and that Pelle, JRod & one of Tadic/Mane/Elia would be our front three, the vast majority genuinely seem to believe that a player with only 2 assists and no goals in about 1600 minutes of football is better suited to playing AM than a player with 6 assists in about 800 minutes of football? Question the validity of stats like assists and key passes all you like, but Davis would have to do a hell of a lot of unsung behind-the-scenes work to make up the difference in productivity from JWP's set pieces alone. Oh, and to the guy who made the Wotton/Schneiderlin comparison, the irony is that this time, faced with a choice between an old solid pro and a younger, technically superior player, you've gone with Wotton...

Honestly, some of the descriptions in this thread make Davis sound like a glorious hybrid of Xavi and Yaya Toure, spraying passes and driving up the pitch (which he seldom does - watch how often Davis turns on the ball during a game - he hates doing it, preferring to pop it back to the CB in that ultra-conservative play-the-way-you're-facing rule that got drummed into kids here over the last forty years). He is, and always has been, a great option to have on the bench when you need to close out a game, and as a replacement for one of the DM roles he's definitely ahead of JWP (though whether he's a better DM than Cork is another matter) - all I'm suggesting is that once everyone's back fit, that's where he should end up.

Wrong.

Davis has stepped in the last few weeks whenever Vic or Morgan have been injured. And our results have been outstanding. No need to say anymore.

Thats whats been so pleasing with the results against Arse, ManU, Newcastle. That we're managded it without our first choice players available. Effing brilliant.

Still digging? Too busy checking stats to watch games I guess. Totally clueless muppet

L

F*ck me, you were actually being serious !

:mcinnes:

Slating Davis for losing the ball and then praising JWP... No one in our team loses the ball or gets muscled off it more than JWP.

Its his reluctance to get the ball forward, slowing the move down, that does my head in. For once he did it on Saturday and we scored from it, but there was hardly any repeat. I like him as a player and think he has a tremendous future, but I just wish he would be more proactive. 1 goal in nearly 70 appearances says it all.

It makes me laugh when people push stats like "assists" as an argument for his inclusion. They are made up of corners, free kicks and that fairly aimless ball against Arsenal that Mane did well to keep from going for a goal kick, turn and score.

Its his reluctance to get the ball forward, slowing the move down, that does my head in. For once he did it on Saturday and we scored from it, but there was hardly any repeat. I like him as a player and think he has a tremendous future, but I just wish he would be more proactive. 1 goal in nearly 70 appearances says it all.

It makes me laugh when people push stats like "assists" as an argument for his inclusion. They are made up of corners, free kicks and that fairly aimless ball against Arsenal that Mane did well to keep from going for a goal kick, turn and score.

How many goals did Morgan or Corky have in their first 70 appearances? The guy is still only 19, learning the game and really only in his first season in a more advanced roll. Saying that this isn't a JWP thread it's a Steve Davis one and he is also a top player.

Last ten games (give or take) he's dithered and lost possession so many times that I think had any other player in the squad done similar there'd have been a witch hunt by now. I'm not entirely sure what he's done that renders him so immune to criticism, but I suppose that in itself is a talent of sorts.

JWP now proving himself vastly more productive, so once our injury/AFCON issues are over, would be disappointed to see Davis a regular starter.

You cannot be serious or are you just a WUM?

Try watching him in action without prejudice and maybe then you'll see why most of us rate him very highly indeed.

Actually, I'm going to stick up for the OP a bit here, in that the one thing Davies doesn't appear to have is the ability to always know what's around him when the ball's coming to him, and, as the OP says, there have been a number of times (i.e. enough for me to have noticed) where he receives a pass in the centre circle in acres of space from a centre half, and rather than turn and drive 25 yards into the opposition half, he plays a wall pass back to the centre half.

It's a bit frustrating, but I love the fact that to replace him in the team would require one hell of a player.

• 3 months later...

I was a bit annoyed with him today, but now I've had time to calm down + think about it, I think it's reasonable to say ****ing hell davis you utter **** that's the ****test ****ing finishing i've seen, three ****ing great chances & you weren't even ****ing close with any of them you flid spastic wotsit retard ****

Had a good game other than that tho :thumbup:

He is the kind of experienced squad player we will need if we fancy a couple of European campaigns over the next 2 or 3 years but is definitely someone we need to improve upon in the starting XI.

For the defence we've had this season, up until Forster's injury finishing 7th is actually quite an underachievement. If we want to improve, being a hard worker like Long or Davis just isn't enough.

Davis hasn't had a great season tbh, always very reliable for us, but not so much in recent weeks.

In my opinion, this is what we have lacked all season. A number 10 who can hit 5-10 goals from that position. We've tried JWP and Davis from that position, and neither are really that sort of player and their goal return is horrific. I think this is an area we need to look at, I know people will jump on the bandwagon that we need a striker - that's why we don't score many goals - but it's the duty of more than just Pelle. We need a new AMC who can pop up as a genuine goal threat most weeks.

I was a bit annoyed with him today, but now I've had time to calm down + think about it, I think it's reasonable to say ****ing hell davis you utter **** that's the ****test ****ing finishing i've seen, three ****ing great chances & you weren't even ****ing close with any of them you flid spastic wotsit retard ****

Had a good game other than that tho :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly.

In my opinion, this is what we have lacked all season. A number 10 who can hit 5-10 goals from that position. We need a new AMC who can pop up as a genuine goal threat most weeks.

It is what we need, I agree - but 10 goals is pretty ambitious. There are only 3 players who fulfill that kind of role who have hit that many this season (Hazard, Eriksen, Silva) - none of whom are the calibre of player we can attract.

It is what we need, I agree - but 10 goals is pretty ambitious. There are only 3 players who fulfill that kind of role who have hit that many this season (Hazard, Eriksen, Silva) - none of whom are the calibre of player we can attract.

Not 10, but between 5-10 goals. We need a threat from the AMC position. Look at Sigurdson at Swansea for e.g, think that's his 7th or 8th from AMC.

He's been awful last 3 games for whatever reason, for someone who is usually so consistent it's strange to see

The only thing he's been consistent at is mediocrity. No goals in 44 league games and counting, only 2 assists this season. People are acting like the last three games are a blip, but he's been giving the ball away, failing to hit the target, and generally hiding in possession since the very first game of the season. He's a nice player to have on the bench to close out the game, but that's all.

Not 10, but between 5-10 goals. We need a threat from the AMC position. Look at Sigurdson at Swansea for e.g, think that's his 7th or 8th from AMC.

So, 7, 8 or 9 goals then? That'll be Toure (8), Mata (8) and Cazorla (7) this season. Again - out of our league. I'll give you Ki though (7 goals). Otherwise, there's Henderson, Gerrard, Mirallas and Oscar (all 6).

My point is not to have a dig - but it is really difficult to find players capable of doing that who are likely to come to us. Although most people will consider Tadic's season to have been hit and miss (myself included) 4 goals in the league is actually pretty good.

So, 7, 8 or 9 goals then? That'll be Toure (8), Mata (8) and Cazorla (7) this season. Again - out of our league. I'll give you Ki though (7 goals). Otherwise, there's Henderson, Gerrard, Mirallas and Oscar (all 6).

My point is not to have a dig - but it is really difficult to find players capable of doing that who are likely to come to us. Although most people will consider Tadic's season to have been hit and miss (myself included) 4 goals in the league is actually pretty good.

There is also Erkisen (10), Chadli (10), Walters (7), Naismith (6), Barnes (5), Boyd (5) etc etc, the point is that it is that if Spurs, Stoke, Everton and Burnley can find an AM who scores goals then I'd expect us to be able to find one at least.

There is also Erkisen (10), Chadli (10), Walters (7), Naismith (6), Barnes (5), Boyd (5) etc etc, the point is that it is that if Spurs, Stoke, Everton and Burnley can find an AM who scores goals then I'd expect us to be able to find one at least.

I agree. The post above stated a 5-10 goal AM, though. My point was that at the top end of that bracket (9-10 goals) a AM is hard to come by especially for a club who sits where we do in the pecking order. We can't compete with Spurs (although hopefully that will change over the next couple of years!) and Walters is a striker. Not sure I'd be too over the moon about Barnes or Boyd shipping up here (prefer Barnes over Boyd though). I'd like Naismith (can we compete with Everton, though?)

If we can get another 5 goals out of midfield and another 5 from Mane (he's only on 6) we would look a lot more potent going forward. Hopefully with a season under his belt Tadic will improve next season. I think Elia's worth keeping as a squad player. If we get Vilhena then maybe he can make a difference.

:mcinnes:

Is Davis actually an attacking central midfielder though? I don't think so - to my mind he is a utility player with a good engine who can play a decent pass. The reason our GD is so good is we essentially play with 7 defensive minded players and without the Schneiderlin/Wanyama/Davis there is a lack of cohesion across the front of the back 4. Davis is simply not an attacking midfielder - not his fault - doesn't make him a sh** player - just too much expected from him in attack in a team that plays a 4-3-3 system.

We need an upgrade in the summer - there is no other player in the squad that can fill Davis' shoes AND be a goal threat at present. This player really is the missing link and the priority after replacing Clyne should he go (when he goes).

I agree. The post above stated a 5-10 goal AM, though. My point was that at the top end of that bracket (9-10 goals) a AM is hard to come by especially for a club who sits where we do in the pecking order. We can't compete with Spurs (although hopefully that will change over the next couple of years!) and Walters is a striker. Not sure I'd be too over the moon about Barnes or Boyd shipping up here (prefer Barnes over Boyd though). I'd like Naismith (can we compete with Everton, though?)

If we can get another 5 goals out of midfield and another 5 from Mane (he's only on 6) we would look a lot more potent going forward. Hopefully with a season under his belt Tadic will improve next season. I think Elia's worth keeping as a squad player. If we get Vilhena then maybe he can make a difference.

agree

Played well today sadly most folks are judging him on the attack of the yips he has suffered from in front of goal this season. Like Pelle in his barren spell, that shot he should have leathered past Lloris you could see a million things going through his head before he powder puffed it

Played well today sadly most folks are judging him on the attack of the yips he has suffered from in front of goal this season. Like Pelle in his barren spell, that shot he should have leathered past Lloris you could see a million things going through his head before he powder puffed it

Too much time to think about it.