Saints vs West Ham Post Match

Mr X

I think Lallana has that X Factor that we have lacked since his departure. He's the type of player that has the ability to break down 2 solid banks of 4 like tonight. Him in this XI and I think we would be winning these games. Tadic, Davis, Elia, even Mane just haven't got that bit of magic to unlock defences on their own.

Think that's crap. Last season under MP we had similar problems. Not enough players taking the responsibility to shoot, and would rather play the safe and easy sideways pass. Lallana's shooting was pretty awful in general

Horrible WHU slowing the game down from the first minute, conning the ref, lots of fouls in first half he didn't even speak to them then books 2 of ours FGS. Missed a handball and corner, didn't even see the idoit on the pitch!!!!!!!!

Lads tried so hard, just needed a bit of luck, we still had 21 shots, 7 on target, forget Big Vics effort!!

May have to get used to winning away and drawing at home. We will get far more space v Scouse and Spurs, those are the games we need to win.

People whinging about WH wasting time from the start is a but rich. We had plenty of the ball and need to do more than just try to walk it into the net. Definitely should have been taking more shots from range once they changed the keeper. Fact is we weren't great today, and didn't deserve more than what we walked away with. Pelle had a rough game, and I've been supportive of him. Was actually the first time he's had a real sight of goal in a few games but should have done better at least once. I reckon their fans would be extra ****ed as well now though. Not so much with this result, but as many of them thought they should have focussed more on their Cup game against West Brom on the weekend.

Now they won't have Adrian or Caroll.

Think that's crap. Last season under MP we had similar problems. Not enough players taking the responsibility to shoot, and would rather play the safe and easy sideways pass. Lallana's shooting was pretty awful in general

Totally agree,it was quite frustrating watching us last season at times. For all the matches we dominated we'd often not convert that into goals,just as this season trying to make an extra pass.

Lallana was not the only offender though, Rodriguez was another who would often try passing it into goal from outside the box.For all he brings to the team in helping the build up, Rodriguez is not a prolific goalscorer that we need.He would often need 4 or 5 chances before scoring 1. Yes it would be good to have him back, and he is a better goal threat than Long, but he's not the out and out taker of chances that some people are hoping for. (Not that I expect him to be back this season).

If Seagar is scoring at U21 level, perhaps he might have been worth a gamble for the last 5-10 minutes, especially when there's a space on the bench available

I thought Koeman got it wrong. Started with both Elia and Mane, but had no creativity behind them. Finished with lots of creativity, but no runners off the ball.

West Ham managed the game and time wasted well. Ref was a c**t and there should have been a lot more time added on.

S***e support from us, groaning from the first 20mins when a move didn't come off and streaming out with 5mins to go. Some sections undeserving of a top 4 effort.

Just back from the game.

Well, that was frustrating. I thought we had a good first 15 and a good last 15. Apart from that, though we had good possession, we never really created a clear cut chance.

Started at a quick tempo and tried to get Mane and Elia in behind their back 4. Looked really threatening but it just didn't run for us. I thought we bossed the midfield with Reed, Wanyama and Davis all having good games. Davis in particular had an excellent 90. If only he could add a few more goals to his game.

I don't think we missed Morgan tonight. Reed is going to be a top player for us though, to be honest, W. Ham's midfield was practically non-existent.

Worst game I have seen Clyne have for a while but the rest of the defence were solid tonight. Fonte just oozes class.

Mane and Elia continue to impress but Pelle badly needs a goal. His frustration is tangible. Tadic and Ward Prowse didn't do much right or particularly wrong when they came on (though Tadic could do with putting his laces through a shot a bit more regularly). Djuricic came on for the last 10 and didn't make a mark.

Referee was absolutely atrocious. Again. Fed up of saying it now.

Allardyce was p*ssing himself laughing at some of the more blatant blunders. I just couldn't begin to explain some of the decisions. Stopping the game because Carroll had slipped his saddle? Awful. Rightly booed off at half time.

Just to finish my moan for the evening, there were way too many W.Ham fans in the Itchen/Chapel corner. A recipe for disaster. Your team came for a draw and were lucky to get it.

Ho hum. Wish I'd gone to the Old Farmhouse to numb the pain!

Upwards and onwards.

No Davis didn't. He was in an attacking position and didn't create anything. Properganda game.

Frustrating is the word of the day. Seem to lack confidence in front of the goal, I'm not one get on pelle's back but he needs a break to get his mojo back, he's off the pace and a fraction behind the game. Reed was awesome, my motm, I can understand taking him off though, we don't need 2 defensive midfielders against a team with ten men not attacking and vic had the height advantage for their hoof ball. Would've kept mane on as main threat up front. ref was abysmal, when he gave a goal kick instead of a corner fat Sam turned to koeman laughing and said "even I saw that". He must've been gutted to send off their keeper but jussi was better anyway.

Beat livepool and we'll be happy again.

S***e support from us, groaning from the first 20mins when a move didn't come off and streaming out with 5mins to go. Some sections undeserving of a top 4 effort.

A bloke walking out behind me said our performance was "a disgrace".

Found it ironically amusing in the first half that when Pelle misplaced a pass the Chapel loudly groaned but when Reed did the same thing a few minutes later they applauded.

Our home support has become Arsenal like and it's annoying the shit out of me.

From where I was sitting Davis was pretty good, where did you sit?

Good as ok running around and tackling but not good in terms of creating. 0 goals all season and played as attacking mid. Back six best in league but front 5 not top six IMO.

Good as ok running around and tackling but not good in terms of creating. 0 goals all season and played as attacking mid. Back six best in league but front 5 not top six IMO.

Look at all the teams around us, they have £20m+ players stacked in their team up front. It's no surprise.

No Davis didn't. He was in an attacking position and didn't create anything. Properganda game.

I often agree with your observations, but not this one. Davis was excellent all night, ran at the defence and provided several incisive balls to Pelle, Mane, Elia. His corners and dead ball delivery were also good. Needs a goal, no doubting that.

After tonight's game I felt we really needed Shane Long up front with Pelle when WHU were down to 10 men. I think we miss him more than we think.

We should have gambled on buying a striker better than someone whose only scored at most 8 goals in a season. We could then sell people in summer if champs league didn't work out.

Disappointing but the fact we have let in just 17 goals all season - 17 goals all freaking season - means we will remain firmly in the hunt for top four.

We're not going to win every game and we don't need to.

But 8-0 hammerings do seem a distant memory.

After tonight's game I felt we really needed Shane Long up front with Pelle when WHU were down to 10 men. I think we miss him more than we think.

I think you are right, it crossed my mind several times that Long against that lot of time wasting negative bastards may have unlocked them.

Didn't mind Mane coming off, as with them being down a man and sitting well back we'd be unlikely to get behind them anyway. But so much faffing about in the box! Just leather the ball!

There was one time where tadic was 8 yards out and could've hammered it at the keeper but floated it over instead. Annoying.

I often agree with your observations, but not this one. Davis was excellent all night, ran at the defence and provided several incisive balls to Pelle, Mane, Elia. His corners and dead ball delivery were also good. Needs a goal, no doubting that.

Thanks maybe I'm wrong and frustrated lol. Thought wanyama and yoshida were class.

That reminded me of the Liecester home game. We were the better side but unable to create anything clear cut. Difference on that occasion was the fact we could bring on Shane Long who promptly grabbed a brace. Bit concerned by our lack of goals, but defensively we are awesome, especially when you take into account the fact we haven't really had a settled back 4 due to injuries.

What an incredible boost it would be to have Jay back for the run in.

Just a reminder.

As it stands right now, we are 4th in the League, and still in charge of our own destiny for the most part.

Our ambition at the start of the season was to finish in a better position than last year. 99% likely we'll do that now.

Maybe CL is a bit of a 50/50 but we're in the mix, which is pretty bloody remarkable.

Just a reminder.

As it stands right now, we are 4th in the League, and still in charge of our own destiny for the most part.

Our ambition at the start of the season was to finish in a better position than last year. 99% likely we'll do that now.

Maybe CL is a bit of a 50/50 but we're in the mix, which is pretty bloody remarkable.

Amen brother!

:D

I find it a amazing that no matter who the manager is we persist in faffing about playing "after you Claude" "no I couldn't, after you please" with the bloody ball. Just bloody light it you never know where it might deflect to.

Very frustrating evening, especially as West Ham resorted to type with their style of play.

Harry Reed was my MOTM tonight, always ready to pounce.

Basically apart from chelsea it's as you were after the last two games...

City, United, Lpool, Saints 4pts

Spurs, Arse 3pts

WestHam 2pts

So we've gained a point on the North London clubs and lost nothing to our other rivals.

Just a positive thought ?

Surely there must be a striker or two out of contract out there that we could sign. It's no good waiting till it's too late. So much for the black box when we're crying out for someone to relieve Pelle of his agony. Liverpool are going to rub our noses in it and who can blame them for all the grief we gave them, not to mention Poch and his Tottering Wonders. How we would have benefited had Schneiderlin been sold and a replacement brought in for all he's played since December. There's no point counting on his return, especially now we've Reed putting his heart and soul into his play. What a player he's becoming. I can only hope Toby will be fully recovered and give us the strength and confidence his presence brings. Not all is lost as we played a lot of good football tonight but the fact Ron's not dealt with the lack of goals is very worrying.

Surely there must be a striker or two out of contract out there that we could sign. It's no good waiting till it's too late. So much for the black box when we're crying out for someone to relieve Pelle of his agony. Liverpool are going to rub our noses in it and who can blame them for all the grief we gave them, not to mention Poch and his Tottering Wonders. How we would have benefited had Schneiderlin been sold and a replacement brought in for all he's played since December. There's no point counting on his return, especially now we've Reed putting his heart and soul into his play. What a player he's becoming. I can only hope Toby will be fully recovered and give us the strength and confidence his presence brings. Not all is lost as we played a lot of good football tonight but the fact Ron's not dealt with the lack of goals is very worrying.

You talk out your backside.

Whilst I'm worried as much of the rest of you about our ability to score, in last three games we've played two teams (Swansea, West Ham) who have sat deep. This stifles our ability to counter (a hindrance to both Mane and Elia...duh), which means we're relying on an out-of-form Pelle to hold the ball up/win crosses - not working. However, I'm confident that against attacking teams, Mane and Elia will become a goal-scoring threat again. As long as the defense holds up, we'll still be able to beat the teams around us (that said, we've plenty of games against opposition who will likely sit-deep and counter themselves).

Highlight for me was the two guys to my right deciding they'd seen enough and walking out on 88 mins when we'd just won a corner! I kid you not. Seriously, who leaves at 0-0 with 2 mins to go when your team is piling on the pressure and have just won a corner?! Utterly bizarre

Really disappointed not to have won against a poor West Ham side, more a case of us not doing enough to win rather than West Ham doing enough for a point.

Disappointed with the substitutions.

Thought Reed was our best player before he came off, was winning the ball back higher up the pitch and we created at least two opportunities from it in the first half.

Also thought Mane shouldn't have been taken off. With Mane & Ellia off you're committed to playing off Pelle, which wasn't working. It meant Tadic & djuricic played narrow, we continued to try and play off Pelle which played into West Hams hands, it's allot easier for defenders to defend when their backs are to goal.

With those 3 narrow our approach play slowed as we past into a crowded penalty area, it wasn't until the last 5 when Tadic pulled wider that we started getting somewhere but when your wide players are narrow your looking at your full backs to get into the game, I thought Yoshida was one of our better players, but he doesn't offer anything going forward. West Ham also changed it at half time with Jarvis coming on for Valencia which meant Clyne didn't have as much freedom, it was good tatics from the hammers there.

I'd have taken Pelle off and put Mane through the middle, I think then your looking for the balls in behind it also means your wide players can get wider stretching the game. we needed to get it wide and whip balls into the box, it's much harder for defenders to defend facing goal as a trailing leg could easily deflect a ball towards goal.

Still fourth though!! FOURTH!!

Just back after a **** drive home which makes the evening that more frustrating.

We'll still in an excellent position and we really need a little luck or break to help us sometimes. Hopefully things will click in the final third soon as we are still very well organised and extremely difficult to beat. Koeman seemed pretty frustrated with the attackers tonight.

Without Morgan we are second rate, imagine what will happen if he does leave in the summer. The worry now is that we are on a slide at precisely the wrong part of the season and the coaches seem unable to arrest it. The lack of quality up-front is becoming embarrassing and it seems unlikely that many of the on-loan wonder boys will make the grade. Still that is probably the big advantage of trying before you're buying. We may have to accept that this is our level with the players we can afford and 6th or 7th is the best we can hope for now. Let's hope Liverpool have an off day when they travel to the South Coast in a couple of weeks time. Certainly our darkest hour this season.

The big factor that hasn't been mentioned is the loss of Bertrand.

Having him on the overlap going forward stretches defences hugely who have to deal with the threat of the overload from both sides. When its only ever going to come from one side (Clyne), its much easier to deal with.

In addition, it meant that Elia was forced to hold back and help shield Yoshida who had to play out of position at left-back, (although both did their defensive duties admirably).

Urgh.

Feel positively sick after that. I think that more-or-less kills it. We now have to beat Liverpool to realistically keep the show on the road.