Saints vs West Ham Post Match

Mr X

Just back in. We missed a left footed player. Yoshida dud an excellent job defensively, but kept coming back in on his right foot. We lost on outlet by not having Bertrand.

IMHO we should have tried to loan a striker in January. Pretty much anyone who could give Pelle a break.

Tadic poor again.

Ref was shocking!

The big factor that hasn't been mentioned is the loss of Bertrand.

Having him on the overlap going forward stretches defences hugely who have to deal with the threat of the overload from both sides. When its only ever going to come from one side (Clyne), its much easier to deal with.

In addition, it meant that Elia was forced to hold back and help shield Yoshida who had to play out of position at left-back, (although both did their defensive duties admirably).

Urgh.

Feel positively sick after that. I think that more-or-less kills it. We now have to beat Liverpool to realistically keep the show on the road.

We're still fourth nothing at all is dead. As for the dippers I want to beat them for the sake of beating them. Nothing at all to do with where we finish on the table.

Without Morgan we are second rate, imagine what will happen if he does leave in the summer. The worry now is that we are on a slide at precisely the wrong part of the season and the coaches seem unable to arrest it. The lack of quality up-front is becoming embarrassing and it seems unlikely that many of the on-loan wonder boys will make the grade. Still that is probably the big advantage of trying before you're buying. We may have to accept that this is our level with the players we can afford and 6th or 7th is the best we can hope for now. Let's hope Liverpool have an off day when they travel to the South Coast in a couple of weeks time. Certainly our darkest hour this season.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

I don't think it was as bad as some have made out . Yes it was frustrating and was really 2 points dropped but I didn't think we played that badly . Pelle clearly needs a goal .As well as yoshida did , we missed the attacking full back from that side , particularly when they were down to 10 . I thought they defended well not a pretty display but you can't knock them for the way they played , it's up to us to break them down .

Harry Reed excellent , got the makings of a proper player .

One thing about Reed I don't like is that stupid " one of our own " song . It's clearly a spurs song ,you know the spurs whose supporters we sing " we're Southampton , we sing our own songs " to when they start up with OWTS.

As for that plum who ran onto the pitch . I hope he gets a life ban and one of the stewards banjo'd him . What a ****ing idiot .

Only 5 minutes!? 3 minutes for all the subs and then there was 3 minutes wasted after the red card, plus the physio on twice!

Then he signals that he's adding time on for their timewasting but plays exactly the 5 minutes signalled.

Refs a c*nt.

This. I was absolutely livid with the ref. West Ham wasted at least a minute of time in the 5 minutes added on alone! And blew up the moment 5 minutes were reached.

Not bad for a team in fourth.

Last 9 league games: W6 D2 L1 GF13 GA4 = 20Pts

And that has been achieved with a fair few injuries and included games against 3 of the top teams with 6 against teams in Top 10.

Some people are just plain greedy.

Without Morgan we are second rate, imagine what will happen if he does leave in the summer. The worry now is that we are on a slide at precisely the wrong part of the season and the coaches seem unable to arrest it. The lack of quality up-front is becoming embarrassing and it seems unlikely that many of the on-loan wonder boys will make the grade. Still that is probably the big advantage of trying before you're buying. We may have to accept that this is our level with the players we can afford and 6th or 7th is the best we can hope for now. Let's hope Liverpool have an off day when they travel to the South Coast in a couple of weeks time. Certainly our darkest hour this season.

Hysterical.

The big factor that hasn't been mentioned is the loss of Bertrand.

Having him on the overlap going forward stretches defences hugely who have to deal with the threat of the overload from both sides. When its only ever going to come from one side (Clyne), its much easier to deal with.

In addition, it meant that Elia was forced to hold back and help shield Yoshida who had to play out of position at left-back, (although both did their defensive duties admirably).

Urgh.

Feel positively sick after that. I think that more-or-less kills it. We now have to beat Liverpool to realistically keep the show on the road.

Agreed about Bertrand. But we should have Schneiderlin and Alderweireld back for Liverpool, and perhaps Targett too who will provide more balance on the left, as well as Yoshida has done.

I wouldn't be surprised if we also start Djuricic in the hole behind Pelle too, in place of Davis.

With that team, we'll beat Liverpool, and we'll be more than in the hunt for top 4.

Frustrating night but nothing to worry about yet.

Jesus wept.

Basically apart from chelsea it's as you were after the last two games...

City, United, Lpool, Saints 4pts

Spurs, Arse 3pts

WestHam 2pts

So we've gained a point on the North London clubs and lost nothing to our other rivals.

Just a positive thought ?

Pragmatism? Wrong forum mate...

;)

Jesus wept.

Our darkest hour, did we lose the game? Obviously it's looking like we're going to come up short, we've got good depth in most areas but having only one out and out striker is going to cost us. I'm not blaming anyone, we signed Long, and maybe the club thought J Rod might have been back sooner. Pelle needs a break, I'd think about using Mane up top for the Liverpool game. Might be worth going all out to get Benteke in the summer, then we wouldn't be too far off having a squad that can challenge again.

I love reading this forum.

Sorry that your medication is not working

I know there are still 13 games to go, but I think the dream died last night. The pack behind us are now breathing down our necks.

J-Rod's absence this season combined with selling Rickie is beginning to look like a disaster. Expecting Elia and Djuricic to come in with a dozen games left and turn round our inability to score goals is plain unrealistic. Long's injury is the sort of bad luck that is distributed amongst all the teams.

If we fail to get into Europe, we lose Morgan and Clyne, we have no chance of keeping Toby, and it will be back to square one again.

Feeling very low this morning....

A very physical game,and some very "uneven" refereeing decisions. Carlton Cole looked as though he was playing Australian Rules..instead of Association Football.His high kick could have cost Yoshida an eye.

Gone are the days when you could shoulder-charge the goalie, but also proved that " worrying " a goalkeeper can pay dividends, although if Adrian (rightly) got a red card...why no penalty for the incident?

If we look back in May at lost opportunities of what may have been in Euro competitions, we can probably put it down to these two last home games, and say it was FIVE POINTS LOST.

....v Swansea we had 63% possesssion and 15 shots to 6...and 67% v Wham (20 shots to 4)...against 9½ men.....yet still couldn't find the killer touch for a winning goal.:blush:

If people say " luck " plays a part in every season, Big Sam got a big chunk of it last night.

If we look back in May at lost opportunities of what may have been in Euro competitions, we can probably put it down to these two last home games, and say it was FIVE POINTS LOST.

....v Swansea we had 63% possesssion and 15 shots to 6...and 67% v Wham (20 shots to 4)...against 9½ men.....yet still couldn't find the killer touch for a winning goal.:blush:

Yep, we screwed the pooch in the last 10 days... :(

I guess without scoring it's easy to blame the strikers/striker however a striker was the one position myself and the majority where crying out for ( no not Danny ****ing Ings) In a positive spin 3 points at QPR was luckily so maybe the footballing gods that be didn't have us down to win tonight and a point is what we deserve.

Onwards to Liverpool the one game I've been looking forward to all season it's going to be huge, and I expect us to be pumbed players and supporters

Our "support" was particularly disappointing last night and doesn't help the team at all. The moaning and sense of entitlement some feel is astonishing considering how much the team has over achieved this season. At least in the old relegation battles the fans knew how to roar the team on . Let's hope the Liverpool game will produce a better atmosphere.

In terms of the performance I felt we were unlucky not to get a break in front of goal, so much possession in West Ham's half but not enough cutting edge. I wouldn't blame Pelle for that though.

I know there are still 13 games to go, but I think the dream died last night. The pack behind us are now breathing down our necks.

J-Rod's absence this season combined with selling Rickie is beginning to look like a disaster. Expecting Elia and Djuricic to come in with a dozen games left and turn round our inability to score goals is plain unrealistic. Long's injury is the sort of bad luck that is distributed amongst all the teams.

If we fail to get into Europe, we lose Morgan and Clyne, we have no chance of keeping Toby, and it will be back to square one again.

Feeling very low this morning....

Good work - 'the dream died' - if dropping to fourth is a disaster we have come a long way... I still look at the league table in disbelief. We are slugging it out with teams whose resources are significantly greater than ours, some of the biggest clubs in the world - and we are giving them a scare.

I hope Koeman goes into work today with a more positive attitude than most on here - the defeatist, loser mentality on here is remarkable. How many of you expected to be in 4th in mid-Feb out of interest...?

At the end of the day you can look at it as one point gained or two points lost. We're one point behind United, still ahead of Arsenal and three points ahead of Spurs with a vastly superior goal difference.

We have gotten used to winning matches easily and been sucked into a false sense of entitlement because of this. There will be battling wins, poor losses and frustrating draws, it's part of the game but we're still in the top four, we don't expect to lose many of our remaining matches and can also expect the teams around us to drop points also, especially with Cup and European commitments for many of them. We have some key players coming back to the squad from injury or in Bertrand's case suspension.

If we get seven points from the next nine available (not beyond the realms of possibility) it will be good again. United can't keep winning poorly forever and will get found out. Liverpool have to play two teams that are above them in their next three matches. Arsenal have some easier matches but good runs of form always come to an end eventually, the same with Spurs.

It 'aint over until it's over and matches always throw up some surprise results. Some will work in our favour, some won't but we're in a good position, have a healthy goal difference and as I mentioned, key players to come back, some time to rest and regroup while our rivals are still playing. It's almost guaranteed we'll get European football of some description and even if we end up in the Europa cup, that is no mean feat for a team on it's third year back in the Premier League and we shouldn't view it as a failure.

At the end of the day you can look at it as one point gained or two points lost. We're one point behind United, still ahead of Arsenal and three points ahead of Spurs with a vastly superior goal difference.

We have gotten used to winning matches easily and been sucked into a false sense of entitlement because of this. There will be battling wins, poor losses and frustrating draws, it's part of the game but we're still in the top four, we don't expect to lose many of our remaining matches and can also expect the teams around us to drop points also, especially with Cup and European commitments for many of them. We have some key players coming back to the squad from injury or in Bertrand's case suspension.

If we get seven points from the next nine available (not beyond the realms of possibility) it will be good again. United can't keep winning poorly forever and will get found out. Liverpool have to play two teams that are above them in their next three matches. Arsenal have some easier matches but good runs of form always come to an end eventually, the same with Spurs.

It 'aint over until it's over and matches always throw up some surprise results. Some will work in our favour, some won't but we're in a good position, have a healthy goal difference and as I mentioned, key players to come back, some time to rest and regroup while our rivals are still playing. It's almost guaranteed we'll get European football of some description and even if we end up in the Europa cup, that is no mean feat for a team on it's third year back in the Premier League and we shouldn't view it as a failure.

Not quite sure that European football is almost guaranteed, but can't argue with most of this. Europa Cup would be a massive achievement for the club, in its own right and particularly given our turbulent recent history. Who else in the top seven was playing in League One a few years ago...?

This sort of non-hysterical reaction won't go down well on Saintsweb though... :)

Much to sensible and accurate report for a veteran of 9K posts let alone 9! Well said and please write more.

It was a point so not a complete disaster. Ref was probably the worst I've seen all season - truly shockingly bad. Pelle appears tired and out of ideas - he tries, but he's just not getting there and we need another option. Build-up play is generally slow and predictable - shooting is pathetically poor...17 shots, 7 on target and no goals. In the final third the off ball movement of the whole front line is awful - very static.

On the plus side, I thought Reed was fantastic - my MOTM.

I hope Koeman goes into work today with a more positive attitude than most on here - the defeatist, loser mentality on here is remarkable. How many of you expected to be in 4th in mid-Feb out of interest...?

Dalek certainly didn't !

I'm with you in the 'positive' camp, we came out of last night's game with one more point than we started, one more clean sheet, and still in the top 4 with our destiny entirely in our own hands. Our current run of form, apart from Swansea, has been good, and has been acheived without ( at some point ) Aldeweireld, Scheinderlein, Wanyama, Bertrand, and Mane.

Yes it would perhaps be nice to have more competition for Pelle, and I am concerned should anything happen to Forster, but this season is going great in my view. Some on here are in danger of developing the same sense of entitlement that can be found on RedCafe and RedandWhiteKop - at the end of the season at least 2 of Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Tottenham will have failed to get into the ECL, even if we also fail to do so. Just to be in the mix with that lot at this stage is staggering.

I'm patting myself on the back for not coming to the tread last night after getting home after the game. Yes the knee-jerkers were out in force doing what they do best...hysteria.

This morning however, in the cold light of day we have the more rational posters...thanks "AdrianC" and a couple of others who contribute well thought out posts.

Far too sensible. You should be taking a leaf out of Charlie Wayman and Alpine's book !

Doomed....we're doomed.....4th place and its all gone to hell in a hand cart :lol:

Last night only one team was looking to win that game, there can be no disputing that, despite Fat Sam's ridiculous claim that the sending off cost them the chance to win the game. They hadnt bothered in the first hour, why the hell would they bother in the last half hour ?

We do struggle to break negative teams down, its true, we did last year as well. That's why it is imperative that if you get a decent chance you take it, unfortunately we didn't. We missed Long to come off the bench and give us a different option, we missed a left back (Yoshida played well but its not his position) to give us the proper attacking width we needed but it cant be helped, injuries and suspensions do that. As RK says "thats football"

Whilst positive posts are a nice alternative to Alpine's "the dream has died last night" ramblings, last night was two points dropped, it was a disappointing result and we're by no means guaranteed any form of European football next year - it's ridiculously tight in the top 7 and has been for a while.

Dalek certainly didn't !

I'm with you in the 'positive' camp, we came out of last night's game with one more point than we started, one more clean sheet, and still in the top 4 with our destiny entirely in our own hands. Our current run of form, apart from Swansea, has been good, and has been acheived without ( at some point ) Aldeweireld, Scheinderlein, Wanyama, Bertrand, and Mane.

Yes it would perhaps be nice to have more competition for Pelle, and I am concerned should anything happen to Forster, but this season is going great in my view. Some on here are in danger of developing the same sense of entitlement that can be found on RedCafe and RedandWhiteKop - at the end of the season at least 2 of Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Tottenham will have failed to get into the ECL, even if we also fail to do so. Just to be in the mix with that lot at this stage is staggering.

Our support are showing a massive sense of entitlement at the moment. Moaning away despite playing a half decent side off the park for 90mins.

There was only one negative for me last night - our lack of shooting. We created many chances, we defended well, we dominated most areas of the pitch, we passed well, we just got to their final third and nobody wanted to shoot. We even had the ball a yard away from goal at one point and still refused to shoot, instead choosing the usual option of passing it. Even when crosses went into the box (which they did, often) we choose to control it and pass it rather than get a head or leg onto it.

Granted, WHam had 8 or 9 players in the box at any given moment, but it was still frustratingly poor.

If there's one thing you'd think a Koeman team might be good at, it's shooting from outside the box. Has RK forgotten how he himself played?

Koeman was bemoaning the lack of shots from outside the box in his post match interview, which tends to suggest that the players aren't carrying out his coaching instructions rather than him not coaching them to shoot from outside the box in the first place.

Its not just shooting outside the box, its variation of play. If a team gets tight and organised then floated crosses and through balls will need to be absolutely spot on.

Every now and again in those situations Id like to see fizzed low crosses, a few shots and an attempt to catch their back four facing their own goal

Koeman was bemoaning the lack of shots from outside the box in his post match interview, which tends to suggest that the players aren't carrying out his coaching instructions rather than him not coaching them to shoot from outside the box in the first place.

I would like our bros to be smashing them in from 20yds, but I dunno who has that in their skill set really. Most of our bros I would prob only back one time in 10 to even get it on target :thumbup:

Where ever we finish it will be down to the points gained over the whole season. To say it was just down to drawing with West Ham and losing to Swansea is ridiculous. As someone said earlier, if we had been told we would be 4th mid Feb in the summer none of us would have believed it and would have been more than happy with that. Some people were tipping us for relegation and now there are complaints that we drew at home to West Ham (who are in form at the moment). We have had a brilliant season so far - enjoy the ride you miserable gits! :)

Chelsea struggled against Everton last night, who defended brilliantly and made it difficult for them. They got a last minute winner because Willian decided to have a go from outside the box, it took a deflection and it's won them the game. Undoubtedly they got slightly lucky with the deflection, but we never gave ourselves a chance to get lucky because our midfielders aren't prepared to shoot from distance when in decent positions. Ward-Prowse is the worst offender, followed by Davis. He clearly has the ability to strike a ball (he's on free kicks for example) but isn't prepared to shoot on sight. When pelle is in poor form like he is at the moment we need midfielders to take some of the burden off of him

Very frustrating

Finishing higher than last season is "looking like a disaster"? Ok....

:)

To be fair to Alpine, he didn't say anything like that.

You need to separate the two. Yes finishing higher is great, but selling RL and losing Jay whilst only bringing in a single striker who is streaky at best when it comes goals isn't good (if not quite a disaster) and may well cost us a place in a European competition next season.

To be fair to Alpine, he didn't say anything like that.

You need to separate the two. Yes finishing higher is great, but selling RL and losing Jay whilst only bringing in a single striker who is streaky at best when it comes goals isn't good (if not quite a disaster) and may well cost us a place in a European competition next season.

There's some distance between "isn't good" and "a disaster". I agree that our striker situation could have turned out better (partly in hindsight), but I'm not about to start using hyperbolic words such as "disaster". The situation that Alps highlights would have been a "disaster" if we were now sitting in Leicester's position.

Tadic is particularly guilty of not shooting, although he had one of the only two semi-decent efforts in the latter stages. By his own admission he prefers not to score but to pass. Mad

One of Tadic/JWP/Djuricic should have started, in the number 10 role, didn't need Wanyama, Reed and Davis, but not enough creativity from midfield.

I thought Davis provided plenty of forward thrust and attacking passes - would have been asking a lot of Djuricic at this stage; Wanyama does get forward a bit and can produce penetrative passes while JWP's role as an attacking Mid is still to be proved, dead ball delivery aside.

Was the budgie that ran on the pitch a Saints fan?? If he was, with the team desperate for a win, what did the **** hope to achieve?

Hope he gets a ban for life!

No he was a WHAM fan, who tweeted that if he got 100 retweets he would run on the pitch

The dopey tit

I think a ban for lifes a bit harsh though, not like he threw an orange or anything