Saints vs West Ham Post Match

Mr X

highly doubt it.

anyways, 4 points out of 9, when you consider we got 7 out of 9 in the games vs arsenal, chelsea and united. ffs.

we struggle with these park the bus teams, and we have no game changer. someone like aguero or hazard was needed there.

gutted.

Yeah meant 7th but fingers got too excited.

I'll keep dreaming if you don't mind. 20 shots on goal most blocked or saved. West Ham doing what SA is good at. Also I try to look at the points tally from both games not just the last compared to this. So four points from a possible six against West Ham.

Fair enough, you're entitled to dream, hope it comes true for you. 20 shots on goal is great if you put some of them in the back of the net

We must be the only team in the league with one fit/available out and out striker. We'll be lucky to get 6th at this rate. I back Pelle to end his goal drought though and as long as Mané, Tadic and Elia (and now Djuricic) chip in with goals, we can still do it. Need to be better than tonight though. One point from 2 home games is poor.

Still top 4 though which is the silver lining, and a nice gap until Liverpool for the injuries to come back.

Fed up, frustrated, annoyed and slightly concerned the free flowing, free scoring form of the first part of the season has dried up and been replaced with form that requires the ball to be walked into the net.

What happened to the free flowing and free scoring form of the early season? It can't all be down to the opposition figuring out how to play against us.

Too much reliance on Mane and a single goal winner in recent weeks. Something needs to change and confidence in front of goal should be right up there as a priority.

Crikey, might as well not bother checking the results for the rest of the season judging by the reactions here tonight!

Not a great result and we should have done better and we need another striker but we're 4th...still leaving the dream and enjoying it. People are starting to talk like those big teams we hate, acting like we deserve to win and should win every game.

Chill out.

thisssss.

West Ham were dire. Big Sam can shove his sophistication up his fat arse.

We were woeful in front of goal

Pelle missed two very good chances. Not even hitting the target

Reed going off was a bit odd. He was probably our best player. Davis would have come off for me

But we sadly saw what will stop us getting Europe. We seriously lack firepower now nearly all teams will come for a point/hit us on the break

The ref just lost the plot. A big huge prat

Got to question the decision not to bring in a proven striker in the transfer window and the substitution of the most effective midfielder and attacking player in tonights game.

I agree, taking Mane off was a weird one, especially considering he has scored in each of his previous 4 games.

As someone pointed out earlier, not sure how there were only 5 minutes of added time. Although it felt like we could play all night and still not stick it in the net.

Pretty frustrating, the only thing that could have made it more frustrating would be watching on a stream that had to buffer every 5-10 seconds. Fortunately I had that too.

Although going down to 10 men virtually nullified West Ham as an attacking threat, they are well versed at that sort of scenario and were always going to make it difficult. Think Mane would have scored if Adrian hadn't had his 'moment of madness', so perhaps it wasn't so mad after all.

This is why we signed Djurcic .. he's not anxiety ridden and beset by final third ****wittery so he'll likely prove invaluable at some point. Feel for Pelle. Just needs a goal, that's all. His downturn in form almost correlates with our struggles to get a goal. Can't wait for Liverpool to try have a go. Keep Coutinho quiet and the game is ours.

Don't understand why we stockpiled attacking midfielders when the side is desperate for another option up front. Should have got the win and it is these last two home games that might have undone all the great work this season. Pretty sure we will need some goals to get anything from Liverpool so hope they are going to be practicing this week.

Disappointing but all teams struggle against sides that come for a point, like Swansea and WHU.

We have no cutting edge at all and both Pelle and Tadic are mere shadows of the players at the start of the season. Since December, in truth, on the whole we have struggled to score and it's only mane that ever really looks like scoring.

In a strange way Liverpool might suit us - they need to win games and won't/can't come to park the bus. We do need to be clinical though and we are anything but.

Realistically it looks like we won't finish lower than 7th and that in itself would be an absolutely incredible achievement. And 17 goals conceded after 25 games? Incredible.

Very disappointing tonight but we have 13 more games to make a mark. We are still effectively, with GD, 2 games ahead of both Liverpool and Spurs.

We were in the same position only 2 months ago. Everyone was complaining, that they could not see where the next goal was coming from, let alone the next win. This was after we lost to Burnley and Sheffield Utd, with some saying that they could not see us winning until February... We then smashed Everton 3-0 and won at Palace 1-3.

Football is strange and all of a sudden we will be through this little sticky patch.....

....... We March On!

Crikey, might as well not bother checking the results for the rest of the season judging by the reactions here tonight!

Not a great result and we should have done better and we need another striker but we're 4th...still leaving the dream and enjoying it. People are starting to talk like those big teams we hate, acting like we deserve to win and should win every game.

Chill out.

This completely. And I was a December bed-wetter too!

Poor in final 25 yards.

Not good enough for Champions League on this form.

Player in the no 10 position needs to do more attacking wise IMO and we should have kept Mane on and brought Djuricic on for Davis.

Still in a good position but Pelle needs to find his goalscoring touch to have any hope of top 4.

Would have probably been better if Adrian had never got the red card because they just shut up shop and time wasted after that.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I agree, taking Mane off was a weird one, especially considering he has scored in each of his previous 4 games.

Mane was on a booking and had already made one tackle that he was lucky not to see another one, so perhaps RK thought better of taking the risk of a further rash tackle. Bit of a tough one, as he was looking the most likely but could easily have been gone.

Chill out.

Excellent post, but it would be disappointing from the position we put ourselves in, but did not land a top 6 finish. I love supporting Saints and this is pretty much the best it has ever been, both with results and the great football we play.

As I said earlier, take the players away for a week in the sun!

Pelle was awful tonight,surprised we took Mane off but he was on a yellow and did seem to be a bit reckless at times,maybe dropping Pelle for a game may regain some of that freshness/energy he had at the start of the season

On a plus the new guy looked ok for the 10mins he was on for

From what I saw tonight we did everything except put the ball in the back of the net. As soon as West Ham went down to 10 men they put everyone behind the ball and held on for the point, which made it really difficult for us to get enough room in and around the box to get something clear-cut to put away.

I am worried about our goalscoring of late but if anyone can get our boys firing again, it's Ronald Koeman ;)

Disappointing but still in the top 4.

Think the Liverpool game will be very different, however. The 10 day break will help us I think

yeah, we need to re-group, get healthy, and figure out who best needs to fit where. 10 days of light training will do us wonders.

What is amazing is the defence is stout no matter what makeshift line-up we have back there.

Also, a few thoughts on what we are missing. I know this sounds odd, but with Alderwiereld, Bertrand, Wanyama, and Schneiderlin not being on the pitch at the same time, we are limited to what we can do wide offensively. We really need our RB and LB up the field, we have been missing that, due to injury and suspension.

at the same time, we really need to figure out what we need to do up front. There is talent there, but right now the players up front are just not working with each other - Pelle, Mane, Elia, Long, Tadic, JWP, Davis, Djuricic. We need to find a combination that works and soon.

Just saying, but take away 10 goals from our Sunderland and Newcastle victories, and we have 28 goals in 23 games.

Hmmm.

But our defence is the best in the country, single figures at home! We are shaping up to be the new Arsenal of the 80's! Just need to Nick that 1 goal more often!

Just back from the game.

Well, that was frustrating. I thought we had a good first 15 and a good last 15. Apart from that, though we had good possession, we never really created a clear cut chance.

Started at a quick tempo and tried to get Mane and Elia in behind their back 4. Looked really threatening but it just didn't run for us. I thought we bossed the midfield with Reed, Wanyama and Davis all having good games. Davis in particular had an excellent 90. If only he could add a few more goals to his game.

I don't think we missed Morgan tonight. Reed is going to be a top player for us though, to be honest, W. Ham's midfield was practically non-existent.

Worst game I have seen Clyne have for a while but the rest of the defence were solid tonight. Fonte just oozes class.

Mane and Elia continue to impress but Pelle badly needs a goal. His frustration is tangible. Tadic and Ward Prowse didn't do much right or particularly wrong when they came on (though Tadic could do with putting his laces through a shot a bit more regularly). Djuricic came on for the last 10 and didn't make a mark.

Referee was absolutely atrocious. Again. Fed up of saying it now.

Allardyce was p*ssing himself laughing at some of the more blatant blunders. I just couldn't begin to explain some of the decisions. Stopping the game because Carroll had slipped his saddle? Awful. Rightly booed off at half time.

Just to finish my moan for the evening, there were way too many W.Ham fans in the Itchen/Chapel corner. A recipe for disaster. Your team came for a draw and were lucky to get it.

Ho hum. Wish I'd gone to the Old Farmhouse to numb the pain!

Upwards and onwards.

Obviously a frustrating outcome since we were well on top even before the keeper's "Boruc" moment. I thought we lost a bit of momentum after Mane went off, he was once again clearly the biggest attacking threat. Our midfield was excellent tonight and what about Reed? He showed glimpses that he is more than a DM, has an eye for a run and killer pass as well. Hasn't Yoshida done well filling in at LB - Fonte was good so was Clyne. It was two points dropped.

For all those criticising Mane, he has long enough on the pitch and didn't really look like a goal was imminent. Infact if anything I'd say he was more likely to get sent off than score. Also his pace is far less effective when West Ham are dropping everyone so deep. There was no space to run in to and he was looking far less effective after the red card.

It was the right decision IMO.

Would have RL and AL broken them down if they were still here?

I think Lallana has that X Factor that we have lacked since his departure. He's the type of player that has the ability to break down 2 solid banks of 4 like tonight. Him in this XI and I think we would be winning these games. Tadic, Davis, Elia, even Mane just haven't got that bit of magic to unlock defences on their own.

Im not a premier league football manager, but I can tell you that if a team is getting compact, tight and filling the box with bodies you dont continue with the slow build up and floated crosses.

We really needed to use Elias and Mane's pace down the flanks, its a shame bertrands banned because as good as Yoshi is filling in he isnt a dynamic full back

Pelle was poor again aswell and the ref was shocking.