Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

Yep, quotes on SS have said that he is happy at Saints despite the links and is happy to stay. take it with a pinch of salt.

Could be he wants to stay to run out his contract so that next summer he would get the millions that would have been spent on his transfer fee. Nothing wrong with him doing this of course. I don't understand why more players don't do this.

Could be he wants to stay to run out his contract so that next summer he would get the millions that would have been spent on his transfer fee. Nothing wrong with him doing this of course. I don't understand why more players don't do this.

This. We need to be proactive and move him on unless he signs the contract.

are you suggesting that he would do such a thing, whatever would give you that idea?

Oh, yes, that's what he did at Palace!

Sheesh, player comes out and says he wants to stay. Achieves a few things:

1) Makes him look loyal

2) Puts club in position of needing to be seen to keep loyal players

3) Puts player in position of strength for contract negotiations

4) Reduces likelihood of player getting grief from fans if "he wanted to stay, but club doesn't meet his requests"

5) Doesn't prevent him leaving

Call me a cynic but we've seen it all before. I don't care what they SAY, only what they DO.

1) Makes him look loyal

4) Reduces likelihood of player getting grief from fans if "he wanted to stay, but club doesn't meet his requests"

Call me a cynic but we've seen it all before. I don't care what they SAY, only what they DO.

Totally agree

He is simply holding the position that he is happy to stay to firstly ensure he avoids flack from supporters and secondly to guarantee he gets any loyalty payment should we sell him. He can't lose here. He can sit tight and wait for United to come calling or he can wait for his contract to run out and watch the cash role in 12 months later.

I wonder how big a contract we have offered? I wonder how big a contract kept Fabian Delph at villa?

I would be surprised if he stayed, and his comments don't make me any more confident. Time will tell.

I don't think Saints will allow him to do that. It's sign a new deal or be sold.

I don't think Saints will allow him to do that. It's sign a new deal or be sold.

You can't sell someone who doesn't want to be sold. Clyne can insist on compliance with his contract and stay for one more year and then leave on a free. It is what he did at Crystal Palace. Despite how annoying it might be to Southampton for him to do this, football clubs do not actually own their players. They own limited contractual rights. When they sign a player they have to consider the possibility that the player will insist on the contract being fulfilled as signed.

Admittedly the terms of his new contract at Manchester United (or wherever) might be so favorable that he will allow himself to be sold, but it is his choice.

You can't sell someone who doesn't want to be sold. Clyne can insist on compliance with his contract and stay for one more year and then leave on a free. It is what he did at Crystal Palace. Despite how annoying it might be to Southampton for him to do this, football clubs do not actually own their players. They own limited contractual rights. When they sign a player they have to consider the possibility that the player will insist on the contract being fulfilled as signed.

Admittedly the terms of his new contract at Manchester United (or wherever) might be so favorable that he will allow himself to be sold, but it is his choice.

From a law perspective you are right. From a practical perspective you are wrong. Clyne will need to sign a new deal or he will be sold. Saints will not allow a £15m asset to depreciate over the course of a season and leave for free. Even if he wants to do that, Saints will look to push him out. Once Cork rejected a new deal he was moved on. Why didn't he wait until the summer and then earn even more money as a signing on fee? It was better for him to move on - as it will be Clyne if he rejects a new deal. That is why Saints are putting a deadline on him signing his new deal - they and he need to move on at the point he doesn't want to stay.

It was different at Palace - they were due compensation for him even if he left at the end of his contract. Hence why they were relaxed about the situation.

Cynical as I am the part in the quotes that rang true was him saying he enjoys playing/starting every week. That is an honest acknowledgement by the player and maybe a message to any clubs thinking of collecting him for their squad.

1) Makes him look loyal

Totally, totally this.

Its like when I tell the missus 'I probably wont go to the pub babe'

It keeps my options open, makes it look like there is a chance Ill be home from football at a reasonable time, allows me to look good if there isnt an option to go to the pub, but all in all Ill probably still go to the pub

Its like when I tell the missus 'I probably wont go to the pub babe'

It keeps my options open, makes it look like there is a chance Ill be home from football at a reasonable time, allows me to look good if there isnt an option to go to the pub, but all in all Ill probably still go to the pub

:):nod:

From a law perspective you are right. From a practical perspective you are wrong. Clyne will need to sign a new deal or he will be sold. Saints will not allow a £15m asset to depreciate over the course of a season and leave for free. Even if he wants to do that, Saints will look to push him out. Once Cork rejected a new deal he was moved on. Why didn't he wait until the summer and then earn even more money as a signing on fee? It was better for him to move on - as it will be Clyne if he rejects a new deal. That is why Saints are putting a deadline on him signing his new deal - they and he need to move on at the point he doesn't want to stay.

It was different at Palace - they were due compensation for him even if he left at the end of his contract. Hence why they were relaxed about the situation.

I agree that this is probably what will happen, but the Cork situation is not comparable. Cork was not guaranteed a better contract if he waited and he wanted to play. Unless we can credibly threaten to not play Clyne next season we have no leverage like we did with Cork.

1) Makes him look loyal

Aye, we'll just put this one to bed when he signs his next contract. As you say, actions speak louder than words and no doubt we'll soon enough hear "too good an opportunity to pass up", "biggest club in the world", "winning silverware", "Champions League" and other such platitudes.

Don't you just love football fans, especially on a forum like this.

A player makes no public declaration of his undying loyalty and he's rounded upon for agitating for a move.

He says he is happy to stay, and the cynics then claim he is doing it deliberately to run down his contract.

The only to either of these sets of people off his back would be to sign a new contract.

But then that, of course, is just a means for the club to raise the asking price.

It's a troublesome proposition really. Were currently directly in competition with a team that he is likely to want to move to next season. He might want to keep playing well to maintain his suitor's interest and might be thoroughly, but if he's fairly certain that the deal is on, even if only subconsciously he won't want to contribute to their missing out on the best league position they can get.

this kind of situation stinks. the last year and a half of a player's contract becomes tainted.

Exactly, you really need to sell the player before his last year starts. In fact he probably only needs a decent half to two thirds of his penultimate contracted season to get that lucrative move (or an improved contract). And during his contract before the current one, he probably only needs to be decent for a similar period to have been given a lucrative renewal.

In the contract before that it could well have been the same story.

So in a 10 year post-Academy career your multi-millionaire player might have only delivered decent football during one third of his total time, maybe even less.

Don't you just love football fans, especially on a forum like this.

A player makes no public declaration of his undying loyalty and he's rounded upon for agitating for a move.

He says he is happy to stay, and the cynics then claim he is doing it deliberately to run down his contract.

The only to either of these sets of people off his back would be to sign a new contract.

But then that, of course, is just a means for the club to raise the asking price.

Ah, I see you do get how it works after all. What do you think all these agents offer in the way of advice for their fat fees?

if we force him out the door (and now he has said he wants to stay, that's what it would be) he can, and will ask for a significant proportion of that £15m transfer fee before departing. The player holds all the cards here. After two decent seasons (and international recognition) he doesn't need to do anything except sit and wait for the mega bucks to come his way.

The only (way?) to (get?) either of these sets of people off his back would be to sign a new contract.

If he signed the contract (and I'm not saying he should - I'd sit tight and wait if I was him) then of course that would prevent fans from being cynical about his comments. I think you are old enough to have seen it all before with players. What they say in an interview isn't always exactly what they are thinking or indeed the full picture.

By the way I'm pretty sure if we could get him to sign the four or five year deal we would be more than happy to keep him here. I don't think the club is trying to get him on a new deal to maximise any transfer fee. They are trying to retain a talented player.

if we force him out the door (and now he has said he wants to stay, that's what it would be) he can, and will ask for a significant proportion of that £15m transfer fee before departing. The player holds all the cards here. After two decent seasons (and international recognition) he doesn't need to do anything except sit and wait for the mega bucks to come his way.
That's why I think that on the basis you have more than one club bidding to help drive the price up, its almost better to sell a player with only one year on his contract, then having to pay up 4 years of his existing deal?

Deal done with Man Utd months ago according to my 'source' (who also confirmed Lallana to Liverpool well before it happened)

Isn't that a contradiction?

Confirmed Liverpool before it happened? If hadn't happened then was still the widely reported info that they wanted him, he wanted to go but we were not selling cheap.

Nothing personal, just interesting that compared to years ago we only now hear the press rumours, which range from obvious to shotgun. We have very little good info coming out, I know a couple of posters in the summer were held up as knowing the inside story but don't recall them breaking reliable news.

Again nothing personal to them, I would rather read these rumours, just comment that only leaks out seem to be agents or other clubs to the press now.

IMHO Clyne's agent has agreed a deal with United, and the next step is for them to sort a transfer deal with us.

Clyne could well stay as he is very happy with us if the club offered him 60k a week.

Win, win for Clyne and win, win for us as we can hold out for a 25m deal although he is in the last year of his contract.

if he don't sign it then we get another year from him and then he walks away scot free.

simples...!!!

Independent saying that he will go to United and it will be sorted next week

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/memphis-depay-to-manchester-united-signing-of-psv-forward-set-to-kickstart-louis-van-gaals-latest-spending-spree-10233595.html

There will certainly be upgrades in other positions before the transfer window closes – it does not even open for another three weeks. United are confident of signing Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton, ahead of Chelsea, and Clyne’s future is likely to be settled next week.

That's just a guess after koeman said he had a week to decide. That week is up now, so his future will now be decided next week.

I think it's easiest to simply assume that any British players on our books will leave at the mere mention of a big four club. It just saves a lot of false hope and conjecture until the start of the new season.

Not that British players are more fickle than foreign players, it's just the way the system is now with the home grown rules and all that malarkey. They are a hot commodity.

Edited by Ohio Saint

I think it's easiest to simply assume that any British players on our books will leave at the mere mention of a big four club. It just saves a lot of false hope and conjecture until the start of the new season.

Not that British players are more fickle than foreign players, it's just the way the system is now with the home grown rules and all that malarkey. They are a hot commodity.

And yet some how Greg Dyke thinks it is good idea to increase the home grown requirements so that the richer clubs will need even more home grown players.

Yeap I'd agree with that, we are now sort of occupying that everton/spurs/liverpool position of not being good enough to get to the champions league but unlike those 3 clubs can't offer major salaries as compensation. My only hope is that the finite amount of positions in anyone team and a lack of desire to never play but get paid loads will soon mean that the likely slots for our players will soon fill up and they stay with us a bit longer.

Yeap I'd agree with that, we are now sort of occupying that everton/spurs/liverpool position of not being good enough to get to the champions league but unlike those 3 clubs can't offer major salaries as compensation. My only hope is that the finite amount of positions in anyone team and a lack of desire to never play but get paid loads will soon mean that the likely slots for our players will soon fill up and they stay with us a bit longer.

We should be able to compete with Everton on salary. Our total income is not much different and I don't think their owner is pumping in a lot of money.

We should be able to compete with Everton on salary. Our total income is not much different and I don't think their owner is pumping in a lot of money.

I did think on that previously but they can afford Lukaku's wages and Baines wages, I don't know what they are but I would of thought they'd be above 60k a week easily ?

It's been quite clear that Him and Morgan are going to be off in the summer for a while. Expect saints to bleed every penny from Arsenal and Man Utd though, and they'll pay up eventually. 20m for Clyne and 30m for Morgan please.