Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

I really cant see how we will get less than 20m for him. His contract situation is largely irrelevant. Despite our incredible performance in the league this year what we have seen is many of the established sides struggling, both in the league and in europe.

Football is a results business, and clyne is in the top 5 RBs in the league. Any of the top 6 except for Chelsea would want him.

I really cant see how we will get less than 20m for him. His contract situation is largely irrelevant. Despite our incredible performance in the league this year what we have seen is many of the established sides struggling, both in the league and in europe.

Football is a results business, and clyne is in the top 5 RBs in the league. Any of the top 6 except for Chelsea would want him.

Is the correct answer. Big money is not 15 million to me. I'll be thinking more 25.

And City. Disagree the contract situation is irrelevant. If he had 3 years left we could do a Schneiderlin to him.

The worry is the Clyne will see his contract out as he did at Palace.

Why is it a worry that a footballer sees out his contract? If he plays for us next season and then leaves that would be a good thing would it not? After all we have already paid for the number of years that his contract was for, therefore it means we have got our value for the money we paid and in return the player has provided us with the service we requested. Of course if he were to see out his contract by sulking like a little girl and not playing that might be an issue, but I don't believe that Nathaniel is that sort of bloke.

And City. Disagree the contract situation is irrelevant. If he had 3 years left we could do a Schneiderlin to him.

And as has been mentioned, he has form for running seeing out his contract to get his move.

I agree he is probably worth more than the £15m(ish) guess I said, but I think the contract will knock a bit off. I also think expectations are raised by Shaw. Clyne isn't Shaw, in that he isn't the hype boy at the minute that Shaw was last season. It's not that often that FBs go for that sort of money.

Actually I think one thing that came out of our time in the top 4 was that there was a feeling these players would probably move anyway. It's convenient for players moving to The Big Clubs if that club is in the CL that year because it gives them something to say other than 'it's for the money'. Us finishing that high would still see them leave but at least they would have to admit the actual truth: it's for the money, and that's where we're not competing with The Big Clubs.

Am I too cynical?

Nope, hit the nail on the head mate

It's not so long ago that posters were highly critical of players having no morals when it comes to contracts.If Clyne fulfills his then that's fine by me. Of course I'd like him to stay (as with Morgan) but when the contract is expended they have a right to go on to pastures new.I did.

I'm sorry for being so ignorant, but who's the obvious replacement? McCarthy?

Or is this going to have to be another bringing-in-an-unknown-player job?

McCarthy isn't an obvious replacement - he is more of a central defender (quite limited going forward too) and at this stage the backup for Clyne on the right is Alderweireld with Yoshida coming into the middle. If Clyne leaves we will 100% sign a first choice replacement.

I think Clyne will be very hard to replace. I think he is by far the best right back I have seen us have (since 89)

whilst he he has gone a little off the boil recently I thought he was decent vs chelsea.

Clyne is everything you want in a rb. Koeman rates him massively.

Why is it a worry that a footballer sees out his contract? If he plays for us next season and then leaves that would be a good thing would it not? After all we have already paid for the number of years that his contract was for, therefore it means we have got our value for the money we paid and in return the player has provided us with the service we requested. Of course if he were to see out his contract by sulking like a little girl and not playing that might be an issue, but I don't believe that Nathaniel is that sort of bloke.

It's a word because we won't get the £15/20m that would come in very handy for getting a good replacement and/or strengthening the squad as a whole.

One can but wonder if the market has changed for Saints players since last summer? It is widely known how much our famed academy graduates went for and how much cash we hauled in but none have really proved that they were worth the prices paid. This summer other clubs will not be quite so gullible, desperate or willing to pay whatever we ask.

Not suggesting it's got to the stage where we have to agree low prices just to offload people like Clyne but sure as hell it ain't gonna be anywhere near £30m and expecting North of £20m is probably fanciful looney tunes. I tend to agree it will be around £12/15m. Morgan - IF HE GOES - nearer £25 but I'd be cheeky and ask for £50m just because Bale went for £65m or whatever and we didn't get a sous!

Not ITK in the least but I think he will be off to Utd in the summer. He wants to leave and Ron wants players who want to play for the club. Given what they paid for Shaw I would say the Clyne is worth more than £15m but we shall see.

Edited by sadoldgit

Not ITK in the least but I think he will be off to Utd in the summer. He wants to leave and Ron wants players who want to play for the club. Given what they paid for Shaw I would say the Clyne is worth more than £15 but we shall see.

Given what they paid for Shaw I'd expect them to have a once bitten twice shy attitude. They'll not waste a similar amount again, then again Clyne is a far better player, Shaw was all hype and bluster.

Given what they paid for Shaw I'd expect them to have a once bitten twice shy attitude. They'll not waste a similar amount again, then again Clyne is a far better player, Shaw was all hype and bluster.

I agree but they do tend to overspend on players in general. I think we should play hardball over the fee. He has to be worth more than £15m to them.

Meh I disagree there Windows. Shaw is I think worthy of his hype. Not shown it at all this year though, but then from what I have seen of Van Gaal I can see why. I cant see him staying there next year (LVG not Shaw)

Meh I disagree there Windows. Shaw is I think worthy of his hype. Not shown it at all this year though, but then from what I have seen of Van Gaal I can see why. I cant see him staying there next year (LVG not Shaw)

Agree.

I think Shaw's season has been a result of;

1. Big fee + expectancy

2. Being made to stop eating so much and criticised publicly

3. Being in a big club with too much expectancy overall

4. Being in a team in a transition period with other new players (although I know we haven't struggled with that??)

5. Being in a team trying new shapes with a terribly overrated manager

He'll still be a top player.

Yeah but Im taking that as not an option. Im just saying from a monetary point of view it shouldnt effect much.

Forgot about Zabeleta

But that's the point, it does effect a lot as we'd be in a stronger bargaining position as we wouldn't lose him next year and could wait out for the price we want, rather than thinking next year we'd lose him for nothing if we reject the lower offers.

But that's the point, it does effect a lot as we'd be in a stronger bargaining position as we wouldn't lose him next year and could wait out for the price we want, rather than thinking next year we'd lose him for nothing if we reject the lower offers.

My point is it doesnt matter.

It didnt 'improve' our bargaining position of Morgan, just allowed us to say 'you're not going' that doesnt mean we will lose him for a lot less this season, if he goes than it will be for a decent fee considering his talent.

With Clyne they'll be no 'you aren't leaving' it will be a case of how much, and considering the probable level of interest I think we will still be in a good bargaining position. Due to the performance of teams this year they won't wait a year, they have plenty of cash to spend and a home grown player potentially available.

If I was saints Id probably say 'this is our price, take it or leave it'. With a bit of spending there is no reason we cant challenge for CL next year, and for that prize its worth gambling on Clynes future.

My point is it doesnt matter.

It didnt 'improve' our bargaining position of Morgan, just allowed us to say 'you're not going' that doesnt mean we will lose him for a lot less this season, if he goes than it will be for a decent fee considering his talent.

With Clyne they'll be no 'you aren't leaving' it will be a case of how much, and considering the probable level of interest I think we will still be in a good bargaining position. Due to the performance of teams this year they won't wait a year, they have plenty of cash to spend and a home grown player potentially available.

If I was saints Id probably say 'this is our price, take it or leave it'. With a bit of spending there is no reason we cant challenge for CL next year, and for that prize its worth gambling on Clynes future.

The length left on a players contract definitely impacts his transfer fee. Southampton will not reject a decent offer (£15m is very decent in the circumstances) for another season of service if the player will leave for free at the end of it. It would be mad. We can do so much more with the money than presume it best not attained because we might try and get in the CL next season.

Agree.

I think Shaw's season has been a result of;

1. Big fee + expectancy

2. Being made to stop eating so much and criticised publicly

3. Being in a big club with too much expectancy overall

4. Being in a team in a transition period with other new players (although I know we haven't struggled with that??)

5. Being in a team trying new shapes with a terribly overrated manager

He'll still be a top player.

Additionally, he hasn't been fit for more than 5 minutes. So really hasn't had any sort of run in the team.

He was great at the beginning of the season, but recently seems distracted.

If players want to go, let them go, there is plenty of good underrated talent in Europe. Whilst it would be a shame, it's not the end of the world

He certainly didn't seem distracted against Chelsea.

But I agree, this summer is the best time to sell Nat. One year to run on his contract, BUT he is in much demand and should fetch a top fee (and a massive profit for Saints)

Hopefully it'll be Trippier, he's been excellent this year.

However good Clyne is, he doesn't get many assists does he, especially when we have a 6 foot 5 striker in the centre?

Maybe not direct assists, but his movement/quality down the right in attacks has lead to lots of goals for us in the last couple of years.

But I agree with Trippier, I do like him. Full of energy, pace, epic delivery. Only part I'm not so sure about in him is defensively, but given that we wanted to sign him with Jay Rod 3 seasons ago, then I'm sure we've still got him on our 'list'.

Based on our transfer policy over the last 4/t years, he ticks pretty much every box. Les Reed has his number I'm sure!

Maybe not direct assists, but his movement/quality down the right in attacks has lead to lots of goals for us in the last couple of years.

But I agree with Trippier, I do like him. Full of energy, pace, epic delivery. Only part I'm not so sure about in him is defensively, but given that we wanted to sign him with Jay Rod 3 seasons ago, then I'm sure we've still got him on our 'list'.

Based on our transfer policy over the last 4/t years, he ticks pretty much every box. Les Reed has his number I'm sure!

Agree with the point about Clyne.

Yeah, not so sure about Trippier defensively, Clyne is certainly outstanding in those situations.

Hopefully it'll be Trippier, he's been excellent this year.

However good Clyne is, he doesn't get many assists does he, especially when we have a 6 foot 5 striker in the centre?

Says just as much about Pellè as it does Clyne.

I like Trippier, or Van Der Weil someone like that

300000K € a month before deductions apparentlyx12 divided by 1.40 and 52 comes to about 50000K£ a week, he's second choice there just now so may be interested in a move.

Thought he would have been on more than that actually, but I thought he'd fallen out of favour there. Has he ever been first choice at PSG? Can't remember him pulling up too many trees there.

He certainly didn't seem distracted against Chelsea.

But I agree, this summer is the best time to sell Nat. One year to run on his contract, BUT he is in much demand and should fetch a top fee (and a massive profit for Saints)

Do Palace command any sell on fee?

Thought he would have been on more than that actually, but I thought he'd fallen out of favour there. Has he ever been first choice at PSG? Can't remember him pulling up too many trees there.

He was first choice for a fair while but of late he's been replaced by Maxwell, can't remember if he's a brazilian or an argentine but PSG just love South Americans. They also have Aurier as 3rd choice and are now looking to sign Sagna who's done nothing at City. VdW might be available, as to his suitability I couldn't really say, not seen a whole lot of him.

He was first choice for a fair while but of late he's been replaced by Maxwell, can't remember if he's a brazilian or an argentine but PSG just love South Americans. They also have Aurier as 3rd choice and are now looking to sign Sagna who's done nothing at City. VdW might be available, as to his suitability I couldn't really say, not seen a whole lot of him.

I can remember him being very highly rated during his Ajax days, but kind of fell off the radar a bit. I imagine Koeman had come in contact with him at some point during his time at Ajax when he was a young player, so could well be an option we're looking at. I can see the newspapers already starting up this story. ;)

I can remember him being very highly rated during his Ajax days, but kind of fell off the radar a bit. I imagine Koeman had come in contact with him at some point during his time at Ajax when he was a young player, so could well be an option we're looking at. I can see the newspapers already starting up this story. ;)

Van Der Wiel and Elia are good mates- maybe that could play a part.